Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display - 12/28/2006 1:41:55 AM   
Temple

I recently had to replace my 21 inch Sony Trinatron CRT <sigh>. I loved that old eighty pound room heater...

Anyway, I ended up buying a KDS 22 inch widescreen (1.6:1) LCD monitor. I know, "isn't KDS sort of crappy?". Well, I did look at a number of monitors but frankly I was under a time constraint and my wife had a credit at Office Depot to use, so that pretty much limited my options. Once in the store I compared the monitors on display and darn if the KDS didn't look significantly better than the Viewsonics they had, and even better than the HP. Also I wanted a large display and 22 inch was the largest LCD monitor they carried in store. And it had a $50 mail in rebate , so that was that.

Turns out the KDS does look pretty good, and cranked up to the native resolution of 1680x1050 the desktop has loads of room. I tested it with a couple of games. In Forge of Freedom the screen was stretched horizontally a bit and the circles became ovals, but nothing I couldn't deal with. I also tested Civ4, which supports 1680x1050 btw and looks pretty decent as well.

And then the acid test. How well would the half-dozen plus year old graphics look on an LCD? And what about the widescreen effect? Turns out widescreen isn't a problem. I'm sure someone technical can tell you the reason, maybe how it uses DirectX APIs or something like that, but the game screen doesn't get stretched, it just shows more horizontal real estate. Of course at 1680x1050, instead of what I'm sure was the normal in 1996 thereabouts of 800x600, things are a bit small. I played around with the resolutions and found that the monitor settings of 1680x1050, 1440x900 and 1280x768 all displayed the game pretty well. The latter setting gave the best detail, being more "zoomed in", and also made the 2D map the most useful.

Here's a screenie at 1280x768, I had to lower the quality a bit to get it under the 200kbit limit, and of course it loses a lot of detail as a jpg, but you get the idea of what a Campaign Series game looks like in widescreen:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Temple -- 12/28/2006 1:52:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display - 9/26/2007 2:06:35 AM   
mGuyA

Temple, thanks for posting this. Having recently upgraded to a 22" myself I was wondering about this. I used to think it was great to be able to play the game at 1200x1024. One excuse to not buy the game (again) gone.

My appologies to the other forum folks for resurrecting an old post.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display - 9/26/2007 8:13:04 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Bought the game, bought the widescreen ( only 20', but hell, it's a step up) can't wait to try it.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to mGuyA)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display - 9/26/2007 5:27:06 PM   
John in SoFla

Looks awesome! And wouldn't you know it...my 19" LCD viewable is on it's last legs...shucks! "C'mon...DIE already!"

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display - 9/27/2007 4:42:45 PM   
serg3d

I'm playing at 17" 1920x1200 laptop and it looks quite good

(in reply to John in SoFla)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Playing Campaign Series on a widescreen display Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI