Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 9:20:00 PM   
marky

and dont forget Gone with the Hibiki!

its a classic too!

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1411
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 9:22:24 PM   
marky

Coyote Hibiki

The crew must dance and tend bar!

< Message edited by marky -- 9/25/2007 9:24:02 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1412
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 9:27:06 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

Coyote Hibiki

The crew must dance and tend bar!

murky, can you just make ONE post with ALL your thoughts? OMG...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 1413
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 9:33:51 PM   
vonCommander

Operation Hibiki - A Port too far. The Hibiki tries to evacuate surviving soldiers after an unsuccessful invasion of an island.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1414
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 10:14:56 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Does anybody remember when they had to change the reels on movies, and needed an intermission?  Last movie I saw like that was Gettysburg I think.  Hibiki's stop at Rabaul reminds me of a "changing of the reel".  Of course, if it starts up again and Gen. Hood charging up Little Round Top, we'll know Cuttlefish has got the wrong movie in the projector!

-F-

Now there’s an interesting thought, mixed up reels for the second half of the war. We could end up with movies like this:

- Godzilla vs. Hibiki: “Aieeee! Gojira! Gojira!”

- On the Road to Gili Gili: Hibiki picks up Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and the rest of a USO troop left adrift when their transport is sunk. Hilarious hijinks ensue as they try to return the entertainers to Allied territory.

- The Peniultimate Countdown: Hibiki passes through a strange storm and finds itself in the Pacific in 2007. Can a tragic misunderstanding be averted before Captain Ishii engages DDG Roosevelt?

- Pearl Hibiki: Hibiki shoots down Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck. They don’t rescue them.

- Murder on the Tokyo Express: Petty Officer Okubo has been murdered. Can Hercule Poirot find the killer?

- The Good, the Bad, and the Hibiki: The crew of Hibiki must draw fast and shoot straight to beat Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee van Cleef to a fortune in gold.

Careful... there better not be any Brokeback Hibiki's!!!!

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1415
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 10:15:48 PM   
ny59giants

Then there is...The Longest Hibiki   Instead of 2 German fighters strafing the beaches of Normandy, we have the Hibiki and another destroyer showing up off coast of Normandy vs at Gili Gili.  

(in reply to vonCommander)
Post #: 1416
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 10:22:23 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Does anybody remember when they had to change the reels on movies, and needed an intermission?  Last movie I saw like that was Gettysburg I think.  Hibiki's stop at Rabaul reminds me of a "changing of the reel".  Of course, if it starts up again and Gen. Hood charging up Little Round Top, we'll know Cuttlefish has got the wrong movie in the projector!

-F-

Now there’s an interesting thought, mixed up reels for the second half of the war. We could end up with movies like this:

- Godzilla vs. Hibiki: “Aieeee! Gojira! Gojira!”

- On the Road to Gili Gili: Hibiki picks up Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and the rest of a USO troop left adrift when their transport is sunk. Hilarious hijinks ensue as they try to return the entertainers to Allied territory.

- The Peniultimate Countdown: Hibiki passes through a strange storm and finds itself in the Pacific in 2007. Can a tragic misunderstanding be averted before Captain Ishii engages DDG Roosevelt?

- Pearl Hibiki: Hibiki shoots down Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck. They don’t rescue them.

- Murder on the Tokyo Express: Petty Officer Okubo has been murdered. Can Hercule Poirot find the killer?

- The Good, the Bad, and the Hibiki: The crew of Hibiki must draw fast and shoot straight to beat Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee van Cleef to a fortune in gold.

Careful... there better not be any Brokeback Hibiki's!!!!

Chez

No danger there, the Hibiki isn't a submarine.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 1417
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 10:36:17 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Very slowly Handa lifts the flap of his holster and pulls out the Type 14 Nambu pistol he has brought along in case of snakes.

Superb attention to detail!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1418
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/25/2007 11:48:56 PM   
tocaff

No Hibiki is floating off shore in the movie "On The Beach", at least I thought that was her with CF standing on the fantail.  Great stuff CF!

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1419
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/26/2007 1:49:34 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Again, absolutely brilliant stuff, CF.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 1420
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/26/2007 11:28:41 AM   
cantona2

quote:

April 7, 1943

Course: Docked
Attached to: TF 8
Mission: Bombardment
System Damage: 2
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 403

Orders: Attack enemy positions in and around Gili Gili

---

Ensign Handa turns and looks down at the glittering blue waters of Simpson Bay far below. It is an impressive sight. He and Ensign Izu have followed an old trail up into the jungle, and are now several miles from Rabaul. The occasional views through the jungle foliage have made the heat and humidity of the hike worth it, in Handa’s opinion. And Izu has found his own treasures.

“Look!” he says softly to Handa. “A red-chinned lorikeet!” Handa follows Izu’s pointing finger and sees a bright green parrot with a scarlet throat perched on the low branch of a huge old tree not far from the trail. Izu raises his binoculars and examines the bird for a moment.

“How can you know what kind of bird that is?” asks Handa dubiously. Izu lowers the binoculars and pulls a battered old copy of Okijima’s “Birds of the Pacific” out of his back pocket. He flips to the section on parrots.

“There!” he says excitedly, pointing to an illustration. Handa peers over his shoulder at the book. It does look like the bird in the tree, he has to admit. Izu leaves the trail for a closer look, moving slowly so as not to startle the bird. Handa follows. Izu has gone perhaps a dozen steps and entered the shadows under the trees when his progress is halted by Handa’s sudden grip on his shoulder. Startled, he looks behind him and sees that Handa has a finger to his lips. Above this gesture the other ensign’s eyes are wary. He points forward, and Izu looks and sees what Handa has already seen: a uniformed leg and boot projecting from behind the trunk of the great tree. The boot is not of Japanese make.

Very slowly Handa lifts the flap of his holster and pulls out the Type 14 Nambu pistol he has brought along in case of snakes. He slips past Izu and begins to circle around to get a look at the other side of the tree, pistol at the ready. Izu watches him tensely.

Handa reaches a position where he can peer around the trunk, and Izu sees him him lower the pistol. He hurries over to join the other man.

Huddled at the base of the tree is a skeleton clad in an Australian Army uniform. The uniform is spotted with mold and creepers have already begun twining across it. There is a neat hole in the front of the silent figure’s jacket, surrounded by a blotch of old dark stain. Near at hand are the rusting remains of a rifle.

The two ensigns gaze down silently for a moment. Here some member of Lark Force, wounded and desperate during the headlong retreat from Rabaul fifteen months ago, came to the end of his strength.

“Poor guy,” mutters Handa. Izu nods. They look for a moment more, then return to the trail and begin heading back down towards Rabaul. Behind them the lorikeet takes wing and flies away, leaving the soldier’s remains once again to the silent, devouring embrace of the jungle.

you outdid yourself with this one

best damn post in the thread

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1421
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 12:19:48 AM   
Cuttlefish

April 8, 1943

Fuel: 403

---

“I didn’t ask him to hit Okubo,” grumbles Riku. He and Shiro are strolling in the south part of town. Ostensibly this is so Riku can scout for provisions for the ship, but in practice it has become a chance for the men to talk and to complain about some of their officers. This is a time-honored tradition for men in any navy since the time of Themistocles, but Riku has never heard Shiro complain about anyone before.

“I know,” sighs Shiro. “I did not say it was your fault. I don’t even blame Shun, he was right to be angry. It just makes life a little more difficult, is all.”

Riku is about to answer when with a sudden thunder of wings almost every bird perched in the nearby trees and on the buildings around them takes flight. The two sailors gaze upwards, watching the birds as they wheel over the town.

“That’s very…” begins Riku, when he is seized by a strange sensation. He feels like he is swaying from side to side, or like perhaps his eyes are playing tricks on him. It is very disorienting. It is not until he hears the wooden building around him creak and groan that he realizes what is going on. An earthquake, albeit a mild one. It last for perhaps 15 seconds, then subsides.

Few people around them take any notice of the event. Minor quakes like this occur frequently. Even the birds are not overly impressed, and they settle back onto their perches almost immediately. The two sailors, being from Japan, are also not inclined to pay much attention to the small tremor.

“Hey, look there,” says Shiro. He is looking back at the low, squat cone of Tavurvur, the volcano that forms the north side of the entrance to the harbor. A small plume of steam and ash is rising from the cone. As the men watch the mild westerly wind slowly disperses the cloud.

---

Note: The quakes and ash plumes will become more frequent and intense as the months goes on, culminating in an eruption towards the end of the year. It will be, fortunately, a small eruption, though it will coat the town and airfield in a thin layer of gritty ash.

After this eruption Tavurvur and the rest of the Rabaul caldera volcanoes will go to sleep for a long time. This lull will end in September 1994 in a major eruption that will destroy most of the town.

---

Vulcan (on the left) and Tavurvur (on the right) in the early stages of the 1994 eruption. The shot is taken looking northwest at the entrance to the harbor.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1422
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 3:23:05 AM   
Cuttlefish

April 9, 1943

Fuel: 475

---

Several tankers filled with fuel have arrived at Rabaul. This enables Hibiki and the other ships to top off their tanks. The task forces are now ready to sortie.

The weather, however, remains fair. The forecast for the next several days is also for good weather. Captain Nishida is eager to sail, but he is also determined to wait for the weather to change. This mission has enough risks, he thinks, without giving every bomber the enemy has a clear shot at his ships on their way to Gili Gili.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1423
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 3:24:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

April 10, 1943

---

“Ah, Lieutenant Miharu! Would you join me for a drink?” Hibiki’s executive officer stops and peers into the bar he is passing, looking for whoever has just hailed him. There is no glass in the windows, just large wooden coverings that are swung up during business hours to provide an awning. In the dimness inside he sees Chief Engineer Sakati, seated at the bar and waving an arm to attract his attention.

The lieutenant enters. He and Sakati are not close friends, but they respect one another and Miharu is happy enough to join him for a drink. He takes a stool next to the engineer and orders a beer.

“I’ve been sampling the bars in town,” explains Sakati. “A strictly scientific survey, I assure you.” Lieutenant Miharu smiles. Sakati’s capacity for spirits is legendary aboard ship. The engineer’s diction is still crisp and his movements precise, but Miharu is willing to bet that Sakati’s survey has been thorough.

“And your conclusions, Chief Engineer?” he asks.

“The north end of town has bigger places with fancier furnishings,” he says, “but the beer and sake are colder and the prices better at the south end of town.” He pauses. “More variety would be good, though. It seems we are a long ways from the nearest liquor distributor.” He turns to the bartender.

“Do you have anything else?” he asks. “Whiskey, scotch, brandy, anything different?” The proprietor, a native, looks puzzled.

“No understand,” he says. Sakati sighs.

“Try English,” says Miharu. “The Australians were here for quite a while.” Chief Engineer Sakati is the only other man aboard ship other than Miharu who has studied abroad. He spent two years at the University of Glasgow and speaks English well, though with a mixed Scots/Japanese accent that sometimes befuddles Miharu’s ears. Sakati’s eyes light up and he repeats his suggestion in English. The proprietor’s face lightens with comprehension, but then he looks downcast and shakes his head.

“All gone now,” he says in English. “Except for…let me see…” he rummages around under the bar and produces an ancient looking bottle of green fluid. No label is visible. Sakati looks intrigued.

“What is it?” he asks. The proprietor peers at it for a moment, then shrugs.

“It’s green,” he finally says.

---

It takes several sailors to help manhandle the unconscious engineer out of the boat and aboard Hibiki. Captain Ishii strolls up as they carry Sakati off to his cabin.

“What happened?” he asks Lieutenant Miharu. The lieutenant just shakes his head in puzzlement.

“It was green,” he says.

“Ah,” says Captain Ishii. “I should have known.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1424
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 3:33:41 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Hark! Is that a Star Trek reference?!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1425
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 3:38:20 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I believe it was an absinthe reference.

Obviously I was wrong. Never did like Star Trek much.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 9/27/2007 7:55:37 AM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1426
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 4:48:43 AM   
marky

Star Trek Next Generation episode "Relics"

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 1427
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 5:26:22 AM   
kaleun

I happen to have half a bottle of that green stuff at home.
I might just have to have some.
(perhaps it might improve my AAR)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 1428
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 5:33:54 AM   
princep01

And now, the good Lt. Sakati is quite green, too.  Priceless.

Too funny, Cuttlefish. 

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1429
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 7:50:29 AM   
John 3rd

Well done Cuttlefish.  I clearly heard Data's voice to Captain Montgomery Scott!  Nearly choked on my glass of 'white' wine...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1430
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 5:20:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Let's hope for Lt. Sakati's good it was Creme de Menthe and something from the "boilermaker" family. Absinthe is evil.

Here is Degas' The Absinthe Drinker

http://jssgallery.org/other_artists/Degas/Absinthe_Drinker.htm

I saw this painting at the Orsay. No photograph can do it justice. You can just watch a lifetime of hope leave this woman's soul right in front of you. Her shoulders seem to droop even more as you ponder the painting. Forget about the Mona Lisa...go to the Orsay when in Paris.

Sorry about the small dose of spam. I hope nothing bad happens to the Lt.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1431
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/27/2007 6:01:32 PM   
kaleun

That is a great painting. Don't you just love the impressionists?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1432
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 12:56:29 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I hope nothing bad happens to the Lt.

Nothing a few weeks of "light duty" and Capt. Ishii's foot up his *** wont fix.

Post #: 1433
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 3:07:40 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Let's hope for Lt. Sakati's good it was Creme de Menthe and something from the "boilermaker" family. Absinthe is evil.

Here is Degas' The Absinthe Drinker

http://jssgallery.org/other_artists/Degas/Absinthe_Drinker.htm

I saw this painting at the Orsay. No photograph can do it justice. You can just watch a lifetime of hope leave this woman's soul right in front of you. Her shoulders seem to droop even more as you ponder the painting. Forget about the Mona Lisa...go to the Orsay when in Paris.

Sorry about the small dose of spam. I hope nothing bad happens to the Lt.

Not to worry, Sakiti will be fine, though he remains in his cabin for most of the next day or two. And thanks for sharing the painting. What a study of hopelessness!

Post #: 1434
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 3:10:36 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Well done Cuttlefish.  I clearly heard Data's voice to Captain Montgomery Scott!  Nearly choked on my glass of 'white' wine...

I am glad the reference was appreciated! Though please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to remember the original appearance of that green bottle...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1435
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 3:12:31 AM   
Cuttlefish

April 11-14, 1943

---

The next few days pass in an almost leisurely fashion for Hibiki’s crew. Captain Ishii is content to let his men rest, and work aboard ship is confined to routine maintenance.

The weather remains fair. This is frustrating to Captain Nishida, but he is still determined to wait for rain or at least clouds before he sends out his ships. At least the enemy is also remaining quiet. A number of enemy submarines are known to be prowling around the Solomon Sea and a few small craft are spotted at Gili Gili by Japanese reconnaissance planes, but that is all.

Finally, on Wednesday April 14th, clouds begin to pile up on the western horizon. The barometer starts to slowly fall, and the base meteorologist predicts cloudy weather with some rain for at least the next couple of days. This is good enough for Nishida. He orders his ships to be ready to depart once night falls.

Hibiki and the other vessels recall their men ashore and preparations are made to get underway. Around mid afternoon the enemy suddenly provides a dramatic illustration of why this mission is necessary.

The first indication anyone aboard Hibiki has that anything is amiss is the faint sound of guns and the appearance of a few puffs of flak over the hills above the town. A siren belatedly begins to sound as about two dozen enemy fighters and another two dozen twin-engine bombers appear high in the air over the base.

Combat stations are ordered and crews scramble for the anti-aircraft guns, but Hibiki is not presented with any targets. The enemy planes remain far out of range and it is quickly obvious that their target is the airfields. Captain Ishii and his crew can only watch the distant dogfights and try to make out what is going on.

A fair number of Japanese fighters manage to intercept the attack, and they and the flak do a lot to disrupt the enemy formation. A few of the attacking fighters and bombers planes are shot down and the rest release their bombs and quickly depart. The main airstrip takes some damage but the repair crews are confident they will have it fully operable by the next morning.

Nonetheless it is the first enemy attack on Rabaul, and everyone is determined that it be the last. As night falls two powerful task forces slip out of the harbor. Their target is Gili Gili.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1436
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 10:44:22 AM   
Reg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Well done Cuttlefish. I clearly heard Data's voice to Captain Montgomery Scott! Nearly choked on my glass of 'white' wine...

I am glad the reference was appreciated! Though please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to remember the original appearance of that green bottle...

Doesn't Bones gives a bottle to Kirk in Star Trek 2 - The Wrath Of Khan?

I am sure there was also an episode in the original TV series which the movie alludes back to.. That was originally screened back in the sixties which gives you a serious use-by date if you saw it then CF!!

Edit: Belay that!! My references state Romulan Ale (referenced above) as being blue in colour... Time to pull out the videos again

< Message edited by Reg -- 9/28/2007 11:16:35 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1437
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 6:34:44 PM   
marky

it was Romulan Ale off a ship that brings em across the Neutral Zone 

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 1438
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 6:35:46 PM   
Lecivius

There is a show from the original series where the same line came from.  The title escapes me atm  

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 1439
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 9/28/2007 7:51:37 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

There is a show from the original series where the same line came from. The title escapes me atm

"By Any Other Name": http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/By_Any_Other_Name

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 1440
Page:   <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  46 47 [48] 49 50   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI