Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A sleeper but Excellent Game!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> A sleeper but Excellent Game! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 7/27/2007 6:20:20 AM   
LarryP

I see no activity here! There must not be many people that have given this game a try. This is an excellent game and deserves to be known more than it is. The strategy is fantastic and replayability is endless. Granted the graphics are not up to the current standard but strategy gamers don't really care much about that when the strategy is great, right?

I am glad I bought this title in 2005. I play it still and this is July-2007. The manual is excellent too and covers everything in great detail.
Post #: 1
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 9/28/2007 4:17:38 PM   
Mangudai

I have also had this game for several years. It holds onto its replay value as you say.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 9/28/2007 5:39:04 PM   
LarryP

It's just too bad that more people don't try it. I just got an email from the developer and he has a new game and it can be downloaded here:
http://www.apezone.com/install/iloco_demo.exe

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 3
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/15/2008 2:26:10 AM   
Anthropoid

I just tried this one over the last couple days and I do enjoy it!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 4
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/15/2008 5:10:49 PM   
LarryP

I'm glad you like it. The graphics are dated but the game plays excellent. I have had more fun with this space game than Galactic Civilizations 2, Space Empires V, and Sins Of A Solar Empire, so that really says something good for this game.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 5
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/18/2008 10:58:08 PM   
dominican

I'm hoping my copy arrives today. Inspired by oi's excellent history of one civilization, I'd like to try my hand at another history, and hope enough interesting things occur to report upon. The game overall looks to be more my speed since I'm not a great RTS player.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/19/2008 12:00:39 AM   
LarryP

I have some of the best RTS titles like F.E.A.R, Supreme Commander, World In Conflict, and many more but I can't stand real time strategy games. I too prefer turn based games. I like to look around, explore, check out all my options, and plan without feeling rushed. Plus I'm 52 years old so I am an old fart!

(in reply to dominican)
Post #: 7
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/19/2008 12:50:53 AM   
dominican

I've played and enjoyed several RTS titles vs the computer but I hit the Pause button so often it might as well be turn-based anyway.

Still a youngster, Larry. I'm 58.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/19/2008 5:15:34 PM   
LarryP

LOL, same here. The RTS games without a pause button rate low with me. I bought 1701 A.D. and it is an RTS with wonderful features and graphics. However when you press the pause button you cannot do anything and it just ruins the game for me.

So you're 58... I guess what makes me feel so old is that I broke my neck in 1984 so the spinal injury makes me feel much older than I am. Gaming is not affected though!

Have you been to the developers site for Starships Unlimited? Here it is if you haven't:
http://www.apezone.com

(in reply to dominican)
Post #: 9
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/19/2008 5:41:34 PM   
dominican

Ouch! Yeah, I bet breaking your neck makes you feel a little older.  Sorry to hear that. Is there any paralysis?

A Pause button that doesn't really pause would be quite aggravating I would imagine.

I hadn't visited that link before, thanks, Larry. I might print out their Tech tree. The locomotive game looks intriguing. I'm a long-time Railroad Tycoon fan.

Well, Starships Unlimited arrived in the mail yesterday. I fooled around with the game a little, clicking on the Tip button, all the little chairs to see what they would do, started up a game as the Avians and promptly built a new Scout ship, not realizing that I already had one, so I started over, knowing finances were tight after reading oi's thread. I was confused about the difference between building for Sol and building for a starship, but I think I understand it now. I printed out the manual and put it in plastic sheets in a three-ring binder, so I'll look a little closer at that before starting a real game. I'll start a new thread when I finally get going.

< Message edited by dominican -- 3/19/2008 5:53:05 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 10
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/20/2008 8:16:04 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: dominican

Ouch! Yeah, I bet breaking your neck makes you feel a little older. Sorry to hear that. Is there any paralysis?

A Pause button that doesn't really pause would be quite aggravating I would imagine.

I hadn't visited that link before, thanks, Larry. I might print out their Tech tree. The locomotive game looks intriguing. I'm a long-time Railroad Tycoon fan.

Well, Starships Unlimited arrived in the mail yesterday. I fooled around with the game a little, clicking on the Tip button, all the little chairs to see what they would do, started up a game as the Avians and promptly built a new Scout ship, not realizing that I already had one, so I started over, knowing finances were tight after reading oi's thread. I was confused about the difference between building for Sol and building for a starship, but I think I understand it now. I printed out the manual and put it in plastic sheets in a three-ring binder, so I'll look a little closer at that before starting a real game. I'll start a new thread when I finally get going.

Paralysis, yes. I am still labeled an "incomplete quadriplegic" because I have impairment of all four limbs. Tons of spasms at times but I walk without any aid unless it is long distance, then a cane. I have many muscles from neck to toes that do not get electricity. However, equally I have muscles that do get electricity and that causes an imbalance and weakness. It's pretty weird. Tons of pain.

Many RTS games that I have include a Pause button but won't allow you do make decisions or changes. I guess they don't want me to cheat myself. What the heck do they care if I paid for the thing?!

I'm glad your CD arrived! Have fun! It has an excellent manual that explained everything I needed to know. Post here if you have any trouble.

(in reply to dominican)
Post #: 11
RE: A sleeper but Excellent Game! - 3/21/2008 8:20:37 PM   
dominican

I've opened a new thread for the Iiiiz civilization, those four-eyed creatures originally known as the Ent, I think.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> A sleeper but Excellent Game! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI