Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 6:45:24 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
. . . for what that's worth.

It would seem that you, as the compiler of the wish list, would be impartial to the wishes. Sad to see that you are passing judgment on wishes suggested by other players. I have read a number of your suggestions and, quite frankly, a few of them rated a less than a “for what that’s worth” response. The difference here is that people that don’t agree with you didn’t have the opportunity to degrade your suggestions as they were posted.

quote:

Rivers don't generally run in straight lines for 10km stretches. They meander.

The current TOAW river hexes travel from hex side to hex side . . . the graphic may “meander” as it passes thru the hex, but in effect they make a straight line from hex side to hex side; exactly the same as hex side rivers. The current system is certainly not more realistic than hex side in river function or graphic.

quote:

You really can think of them as filling the hex, and can't really think of a given hex as being entirely on one side or the other of the river.

How is it possible that you suggest that the river fills the entire hex? Where is your sense of scale?

You are telling us that a 1Km wide major river occupies the entire hex area of a 10Km hex . . . worse yet, you are telling us that a minor 50M river occupies an entire 10Km hex. How can this be? Preposterous.

As stated before, this type of reasoning leads to a dead zone of river hexes which is totally artificial and completely unrealistic.

As a veteran, I can state that hex side is much more realistic than the current hex "in" configuration.

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 9/28/2007 7:09:31 AM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 31
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 1:53:48 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
It would seem that you, as the compiler of the wish list, would be impartial to the wishes. Sad to see that you are passing judgment on wishes suggested by other players.

I doubt you'd feel this way if he agreed with you. Since Bob is one of the more active members of the still small TOAW community, and a prolific designer, I'd be surprised not to hear his opinion on this kind of topic.

quote:

The difference here is that people that don’t agree with you didn’t have the opportunity to degrade your suggestions as they were posted.

Good grief. The thread isn't locked. If people wanted to disagree with anything on the list then there's nothing to stop them doing so.

quote:

As stated before, this type of reasoning leads to a dead zone of river hexes which is totally artificial and completely unrealistic.

In most cases the effect is much the same. The benefit from hexside rivers would be more in appearances. I suppose on balance it would be a positive change- but the amount of coding effort and rewriting of old scenarios involved is so massive that it pushes it way down the list of priorities.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 9/28/2007 1:56:34 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 32
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 6:07:44 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious
The benefit from hexside rivers would be more in appearances.

I guess you don’t understand the differences between the two systems.

quote:

. . . the amount of coding effort and rewriting of old scenarios involved is so massive that it pushes it way down the list of priorities.

Rewriting? Massive effort? Who said this was going to be another Manhattan Project? Any rewriting of old scenarios would be done by those who want to adopt the scenarios to the hex side river scheme . . . certainly no forced labor involved.

I see no reason why TOAW III can’t exist along side TOAW X (Hex Side Rivers). This is not an all or nothing type of proposition. It’s just an alternative to the existing flavor of TOAW.

Also, who appointed you to determine the list of priorities?

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 33
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 6:57:42 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Regards, RhinoBones

That would be Golden's position with Matrix. It's right there on the home page: go take a look.

Anyway, speaking personally I can see some of the arguments for hex-side rivers. It's just that (a) I can see the arguments on the other side, and (b) aesthetically, I think I think hex-side rivers blow, and while I will sacrifice aesthetics to utility if the argument is strong, in this case I don't think it is.

With regards to some of the points made above, I'd note the following.

1. Units making a river crossing are vulnerable to attack. You should be at risk if you're piled up in the river hex.

2. Usually, the assault has to be made first and the bulk of the crossing second. See for example the German crossings of the Meuse on 13 May. Infantry over first -- armor only starting to cross 12-24 hours later. The assault should eat up MP's.

3. Under the hex-side rivers proposal as stated above, the engineers would fix the bridge from their own 'side.' So one could just fix the bridge whenever, and then be all set to storm across and go on one's way without any delay at all when ready.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 9/28/2007 7:20:23 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 34
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 6:59:35 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I do. With hexside rivers, there would no longer be a gap between two units facing each other across the river. That's about it.

quote:

Sorry, I was forgetting that my opinion is inadmissable.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 35
RE: Defending a river line - 9/28/2007 8:33:52 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

. . . for what that's worth.

It would seem that you, as the compiler of the wish list, would be impartial to the wishes. Sad to see that you are passing judgment on wishes suggested by other players. I have read a number of your suggestions and, quite frankly, a few of them rated a less than a “for what that’s worth” response. The difference here is that people that don’t agree with you didn’t have the opportunity to degrade your suggestions as they were posted.

By "for what it's worth" I only meant that just being on the wishlist doesn't mean it will actually ever be implemented. That's true of everything on the wishlist. They are just wishes, not Matrix's official plans. So that comment was not a critism.

quote:

quote:

The current TOAW river hexes travel from hex side to hex side . . . the graphic may “meander” as it passes thru the hex, but in effect they make a straight line from hex side to hex side; exactly the same as hex side rivers. The current system is certainly not more realistic than hex side in river function or graphic.

I was talking about real rivers. They really do meander.

quote:

quote:

You really can think of them as filling the hex, and can't really think of a given hex as being entirely on one side or the other of the river.

How is it possible that you suggest that the river fills the entire hex? Where is your sense of scale?

You are telling us that a 1Km wide major river occupies the entire hex area of a 10Km hex . . . worse yet, you are telling us that a minor 50M river occupies an entire 10Km hex. How can this be? Preposterous.

By meandering. So the hex could be thought of as sort of a zone that has a river meandering around in it.

quote:

As a veteran, I can state that hex side is much more realistic than the current hex "in" configuration.

Regards, RhinoBones

As I stated, I think that's debatable.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 9/28/2007 8:36:13 PM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 36
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 3:39:11 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

Isn't the real issue the fact that rivers aren't a hex side?

Sorry if this has been raised elsewhere hereabouts, but I vaguely remember Norm on a forum somewhere many years ago saying that but for problems with the game company who originally owned this, a patch allowing hex river sides was already built and on his machine for release.

Now, I appreciate this might require re-doing, but in some scenarios where both sides want defensive benefits, some hexes are effectively out of play because they are river hexes and no one wants them. That is hundreds of square kilometres effectively empty on a map because there are no hex sides for rivers.

Is this on anyone's list?

Regards,
IronDuke

quote:

It is indeed on the downloadable wishlist (item 2.1), for what that's worth.

I don't personally know what that is worth, although I would genuinely appreciate it if someone was able to articulate exactly what it was worth. How are items to be worked on selected by the Dev team?

quote:

However, it's debatable whether hexside rivers are more realistic at these scales than river hexes.

And a debate is what we're having...

I'd also ask "what scales?". I've seen scenarios at 2.5 KM per hex and scenarios at 50 KM per hex. On some maps towards the top end, the rivers are in adjacent hexes and you actually have to deploy on one in order to defend behind another. The point about dead ground is even more relevant here. If two sides deploy on opposite sides of a river on 50km per hex, how much ground are we actually losing because of this issue?

quote:

No argument, here...

quote:

But here I do. What you've essentially done here is describe how it works, but that doesn't make it right. You are right to say that I can't think of a hex as being entirely on one side or another, but that is only because the game engine treats units in a river hex as being on both sides depending on the tactical circumstances. If we had river hex sides, then I could easily think of a given hex as being on one side or the other couldn't I?

My point is this: Are you really saying it is okay that the same unit in the same river hex can be considered behind the river when attacking across it, but in front of it when defending against a counterattack? That if it moved first it can pay all sorts of penalties to attack across it (quite rightly), but that if the attack failed and the enemy counterattacked in its turn, that the unit would actually be treated during that counterattack as if it actually got across the river successfully?

It either got across or it didn't, surely. If it didn't, why do the counterattackers not get their feet wet when launching their own assault?

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 37
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 3:59:02 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

It would seem that you, as the compiler of the wish list, would be impartial to the wishes. Sad to see that you are passing judgment on wishes suggested by other players.

I doubt you'd feel this way if he agreed with you. Since Bob is one of the more active members of the still small TOAW community, and a prolific designer, I'd be surprised not to hear his opinion on this kind of topic.

quote:

The difference here is that people that don’t agree with you didn’t have the opportunity to degrade your suggestions as they were posted.

Good grief. The thread isn't locked. If people wanted to disagree with anything on the list then there's nothing to stop them doing so.

quote:

In most cases the effect is much the same. The benefit from hexside rivers would be more in appearances. I suppose on balance it would be a positive change- but the amount of coding effort and rewriting of old scenarios involved is so massive that it pushes it way down the list of priorities.

Leaving aside my fundamental disagreement with you about the benefits, and not really understanding what "In most cases the effect is much the same" actually means , why would we need to re-write old scenarios?

I would anticipate new versions of the scenarios in some circumstances where an author liked and wanted to utilise the change but river hexsides don't invalidate river hexes provided you don't mix surely? Hex terrain rules and hex side rules are surely simple coding, the system isn't going to get confused if some scenarios have river hexes and some river hex sides.

regards,
IronDuke

Why do we have to re-write old scenarios?

Post #: 38
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 4:12:34 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

1. Units making a river crossing are vulnerable to attack. You should be at risk if you're piled up in the river hex.

Why? I can see you might be more vulnerable to artillery, and this is catered for within the rules, but why should land units be able to dish out more damage to you?

quote:

2. Usually, the assault has to be made first and the bulk of the crossing second. See for example the German crossings of the Meuse on 13 May. Infantry over first -- armor only starting to cross 12-24 hours later. The assault should eat up MP's.

But the assault does eat up clock, which in turn eats up unused MPs. The armour would follow the infantry across but start its movement with less movement allowance following the assault. Given the rules as they stand allow you to rebuild blown bridges in full view of enemy machine gun and artillery fire before you actually make the assault, allowing armour to stream across on the assault turn rather merrily, how is the current system any better?

quote:

3. Under the hex-side rivers proposal as stated above, the engineers would fix the bridge from their own 'side.' So one could just fix the bridge whenever, and then be all set to storm across and go on one's way without any delay at all when ready.

Incorrect, I wouldn't allow bridges to be repaired unless both sides of the road that crossed the river were in your hands.

As above, you can repair bridge hexes now without being in possession of the far bank, so engineers technically repair it from their own side now, (unless they are attacked apparently at which point they are deemed to have repaired it from the enemy's side - without actually moving the enemy out first or changing their own position but never mind).

As things stand, you would recreate the Meuse currently by:

Forcing the French out of Wadlincourt river bridge hex/town, rebuilding the bridge on turn 4 (say), storming across on turn 5 to take the far bank and then bringing the tanks across a bridge later on in turn 5 on a bridge that was built on turn four and which had managed (on turn 4) to stretch right across the river to a machine gun and weapons pit infested far bank that wasn't actually cleared until turn 5.

I would like to meet the engineers who managed that.

Regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 39
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 4:19:00 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

I do. With hexside rivers, there would no longer be a gap between two units facing each other across the river. That's about it.

With the greatest of respect, I completely disagree, and would urge you to re-read the thread, I don't think that's about it at all.

If you're saying "there are more important things to fix" I'd agree, but then on this basis we'd (IMHO) bin the wish list in favour of a document that said:

1. Completely rewrite the supply rules.
2. Completely re-write the formation rules.
3. rewrite movement and combat where 1 & 2 have an effect
3. Lets talk after you've done that.

and abandon all extra talk of improvements etc for fear or distracting someone busy coding .

However, since my argument re river hex sides has been challenged and I can't see the above happening, then we can surely discuss this since many of the improvements to date have been useful or very useful without actually making anybody's "Top ten".

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 40
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 4:23:25 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

By "for what it's worth" I only meant that just being on the wishlist doesn't mean it will actually ever be implemented. That's true of everything on the wishlist. They are just wishes, not Matrix's official plans. So that comment was not a critism.

What are the official plans, I confess I haven't been here often enough to see them if they have been posted. (That's what FITE and WITP does for you).

quote:

By meandering. So the hex could be thought of as sort of a zone that has a river meandering around in it.

Yes, but this argument is not about whether the river could be thought of as meandering around it, but whether it should be thought of as meandering around inside of it.

respect and regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 41
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 5:18:49 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Why? I can see you might be more vulnerable to artillery, and this is catered for within the rules, but why should land units be able to dish out more damage to you?

I tend to see an attack across a river not as just the physical crossing, but as the whole operation.

Take Sedan in 1940, a battle with which I am relatively familiar. Now, at a typical OPART scale of one day or half a week, the actual crossing is only a fraction of the battle: anywhere from an hour to a few hours.

Nevertheless, for the bulk of the turn, the Germans are indeed in a less than ideal position, with only light forces on the west bank, the bulk of their tanks, artillery, and supplies still on the east bank, and the engineers frantically trying to build a bridge to change that.

The Germans are vulnerable to attack. They cannot just fall back and defend behind the river. They get hit now, and they get hurt.

This argument could get interminable, but I'd say you're seeing 'crossing the river' as simply the physical act. At the level OPART operates, I'd say it's crossing the river, clearing the defenders from the opposite bank, establishing some sort of decent communications to the rear, and carving out a defensible position of your own on the other side. Until all this is done, you're not in a good defensive position. You can't just defend 'from your side' if the enemy attacks. I have no problem at all with the current model, where you move onto the river hex and are in a lousy position until you fight your way off of it. Generally, it seems to me to about reflect the way things are.
quote:

quote:

But the assault does eat up clock, which in turn eats up unused MPs. The armour would follow the infantry across but start its movement with less movement allowance following the assault. Given the rules as they stand allow you to rebuild blown bridges in full view of enemy machine gun and artillery fire before you actually make the assault, allowing armour to stream across on the assault turn rather merrily, how is the current system any better?

Let's assume you're right here: that the current system isn't any better. So? I don't really need to demonstrate that the current system is better in all respects -- just that the advantages of the current system minus the disadvantages comes out to about the same value as the advantages of the proposed change minus the disadvantages. On this point at least, you're effectively conceding that there's nothing to choose between the two. If it's about a wash overall, I'll stick with the aesthetically pleasing rivers in the middle of hexes.
quote:

quote:

Incorrect, I wouldn't allow bridges to be repaired unless both sides of the road that crossed the river were in your hands.

That sounds okay -- but it wasn't what was said earlier.
quote:

As above, you can repair bridge hexes now without being in possession of the far bank, so engineers technically repair it from their own side now, (unless they are attacked apparently at which point they are deemed to have repaired it from the enemy's side - without actually moving the enemy out first or changing their own position but never mind).

Forcing the French out of Wadlincourt river bridge hex/town, rebuilding the bridge on turn 4 (say), storming across on turn 5 to take the far bank and then bringing the tanks across a bridge later on in turn 5 on a bridge that was built on turn four and which had managed (on turn 4) to stretch right across the river to a machine gun and weapons pit infested far bank that wasn't actually cleared until turn 5.

Regards,
IronDuke

I see your above description as simply not looking at things from the OPART scale. The crossing doesn't spread out over several turns -- it's all in one turn. I'll grant that the bridge repair situation you describe isn't perfect -- but you will have to get out onto that blown bridge hex to fix that bridge. You're also going to need to attack from that hex -- which is what should happen.

OPART offers designers the opportunity to model a lot of situations at a lot of scales. Obviously, one can find time and scales where in some situations it falls down. However, I just don't see the overwhelming advantages of hex side rivers. Generally speaking, I think the attacker should be vulnerable when he moves onto that river hex. It does get a bit strange at the larger scales -- but then, the hex side rivers would look strange to me at all scales. I'm for leaving things as they are in this respect -- since the change doesn't seem to offer any compelling advantages.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 9/29/2007 5:24:22 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 42
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 8:58:51 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

..the bridges on the Meuse were pretty thoroughly demolished, repair is only an option in a long time scale scen, better is capture the hex behind the nominal bridge hex then TO an arriving fixed pontoon unit (bridging engineers). Now yr tanks take the attacking-from-river negative..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 43
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 10:04:49 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

..the bridges on the Meuse were pretty thoroughly demolished, repair is only an option in a long time scale scen, better is capture the hex behind the nominal bridge hex then TO an arriving fixed pontoon unit (bridging engineers). Now yr tanks take the attacking-from-river negative..

Note that this sort of approach will require that a pontoon unit appear for every potential crossing point on the Meuse (or any other significant rivers your scenario may include). Either that or you are going to be frog-marching the player into replicating the historical assaults.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 44
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 10:53:07 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

With the greatest of respect, I completely disagree, and would urge you to re-read the thread, I don't think that's about it at all.

What I mean is that is the effective difference. The way a river crossing occurs in detail will be different, but at the operational level the process of crossing a river will be basically the same; the defensive value of the river line won't have changed. However, to get to this point we have to rewrite a fair bit of code.

Incidentally, thanks for being reasonable and polite.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 9/29/2007 10:56:45 AM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 45
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 12:24:52 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

Note that this sort of approach will require that a pontoon unit appear for every potential crossing point on the Meuse (or any other significant rivers your scenario may include). Either that or you are going to be frog-marching the player into replicating the historical assaults.

..not me, geography..

..much of it's length it is only passable at the established bridging points, further whilst lower down its crossable in many places, the existing road net makes established bridging points the only really long term option..

Post #: 46
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 6:31:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

But here I do. What you've essentially done here is describe how it works, but that doesn't make it right. You are right to say that I can't think of a hex as being entirely on one side or another, but that is only because the game engine treats units in a river hex as being on both sides depending on the tactical circumstances. If we had river hex sides, then I could easily think of a given hex as being on one side or the other couldn't I?

No. I was talking about how the real world works, not the game. Placing the rivers on the hexsides could be a greater distortion of reality than placing them in the hex itself.

quote:

My point is this: Are you really saying it is okay that the same unit in the same river hex can be considered behind the river when attacking across it, but in front of it when defending against a counterattack? That if it moved first it can pay all sorts of penalties to attack across it (quite rightly), but that if the attack failed and the enemy counterattacked in its turn, that the unit would actually be treated during that counterattack as if it actually got across the river successfully?

It either got across or it didn't, surely. If it didn't, why do the counterattackers not get their feet wet when launching their own assault?

No, it could be across at some points in the hex and not across in others, due to how the river snakes around in the hex. You're thinking too tactically. These are very large areas.

And note how the river hex models a transverse defensive benefit that hexside rivers wouldn't. In other words, the defender would employ meanders in the river for defense against attackers attacking along of the river.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 9/29/2007 7:20:28 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 6:36:12 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

What are the official plans, I confess I haven't been here often enough to see them if they have been posted. (That's what FITE and WITP does for you).

I honestly don't think there are any. As best I can tell, whoever is making the decisions is more or less doing it on the fly. They do seem to be reasonable people subject to persuasion.

But, for sure, the wishlist is not official in any way, shape, or form.

quote:

Yes, but this argument is not about whether the river could be thought of as meandering around it, but whether it should be thought of as meandering around inside of it.

Correct. And there is a case to be made for either way. But it is not so cut-and-dried as you seem to think.

Post #: 48
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 7:12:37 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Something that's vaguely related -- and that would be nice to see changed -- would be if wadis worked the same as rivers. After all, in real life they largely do.

I would limit that to improved roads and railroads only. Non-improved roads wouldn't bridge the wadi. They would just go through its basin.

Post #: 49
RE: Defending a river line - 9/29/2007 10:12:13 PM   
el cid

river hex vs river hexside.

I think the problem is the hex.

TOAW without hexes would give you the best of everything.

Post #: 50
RE: Defending a river line - 9/30/2007 2:00:33 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid

So would a Ferrari Testarossa equipped with a flat bed truck bed, an electric lift gate, diamond plate tool chest and pipe racks.

Or, it would be an unholy abomination. Your mileage may vary...

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 9/30/2007 2:02:25 AM >

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 51
RE: Defending a river line - 9/30/2007 3:50:42 AM   
a white rabbit

quote:

No, it could be across at some points in the hex and not across in others, due to how the river snakes around in the hex. You're thinking too tactically. These are very large areas.

And note how the river hex models a transverse defensive benefit that hexside rivers wouldn't. In other words, the defender would employ meanders in the river for defense against attackers attacking along of the river.

.."meander" is a specific action of a river in which it forms repeated s-shaped curves usually in u-shaped valleys. It is only done by rivers in their lower older stages and then only on flat plains created mostly by the meandering. The river tends to be slow flowing and silt laden with ox-bow lakes and marsh areas..

..early stage rivers go in straight lines, rock formations permitting, usually in v-shaped valleys. They are fast flowing, low on suspended silt except during storms, and short on oxbows and marsh..

..note that this applies only in non-glaciated areas. In glaciated areas of the world a river may meander early if the glacial period was able to carve a flat enough U-shaped valley..

Post #: 52
RE: Defending a river line - 10/1/2007 11:53:33 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid

Well, in theory. Leaving aside the fact that this would mean a complete rewrite of the game engine (to the point where you would be better off starting from CotA), this also makes the game much more difficult to play.

When I got the demo of TOAW, I didn't read anything, I just jumped into Korea and got playing. I didn't do very well- but I could understand how to make it "go". I bought CotA- and never got past the manual. I don't have time to wade through all that. A good game should be easy to pick up but difficult to master. TOAW does that.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 53
RE: Defending a river line - 10/1/2007 4:46:28 PM   
Telumar

quote:

When I got the demo of TOAW, I didn't read anything, I just jumped into Korea and got playing. I didn't do very well- but I could understand how to make it "go". I bought CotA- and never got past the manual. I don't have time to wade through all that. A good game should be easy to pick up but difficult to master. TOAW does that.

You're not alone.

Post #: 54
RE: Defending a river line - 10/1/2007 5:20:01 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
You're not alone.

Reassuring. I was girding myself to be bombarded with reprimands from the CotA fan club.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 55
RE: Defending a river line - 10/1/2007 7:40:12 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
You're not alone.

Reassuring. I was girding myself to be bombarded with reprimands from the CotA fan club.

They usually show up on Tuesdays...

Post #: 56
RE: Defending a river line - 10/1/2007 10:37:12 PM   
Catch21

quote:

I was girding myself to be bombarded with reprimands from the CotA fan club.
Is there really such a beast?

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Post #: 57
RE: Defending a river line - 10/2/2007 11:05:36 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff

quote:

I was girding myself to be bombarded with reprimands from the CotA fan club.
Is there really such a beast?

I've certainly encountered something along those lines before. To be fair, they're probably no worse than the TOAW fan club.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 58
RE: Defending a river line - 10/4/2007 12:11:34 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

I tend to see an attack across a river not as just the physical crossing, but as the whole operation.

Yes, but are you seeing it this way because it makes most sense or because that is the way it works? An attack across a river is an entire operation, but then under current rules your attacking forces can be decimated by enemy armour (that must be amphibious to get at you judging from the fact you are on opposite sides of the river) before the attack actually goes in.

quote:

Take Sedan in 1940, a battle with which I am relatively familiar.

As am I, I'm designing a scenario around it for a forthcoming title.

quote:

Now, at a typical OPART scale of one day or half a week, the actual crossing is only a fraction of the battle: anywhere from an hour to a few hours.

Indeed it is, but then the actual crossing would only take a few hours because you wouldn't (or probably wouldn't) use up the entire turn doing it. You'd use up 30% of your day or "anywhere from an hour to a few hours"..

quote:

Nevertheless, for the bulk of the turn, the Germans are indeed in a less than ideal position, with only light forces on the west bank, the bulk of their tanks, artillery, and supplies still on the east bank, and the engineers frantically trying to build a bridge to change that.

These actions are in the game in the phase after the attack but before the end of the turn.

quote:

The Germans are vulnerable to attack. They cannot just fall back and defend behind the river. They get hit now, and they get hurt.

But when they get hit, their entire force suffers the assault. How can this be when you yourself have described to us how.................

quote:

with only light forces on the west bank, the bulk of their tanks, artillery, and supplies still on the east bank, and the engineers frantically trying to build a bridge to change that.

You can't have it both ways. The Germans are either across the river or they aren't. You want few across the river to allow that vulnerability you're after but many across the river when the attack goes in. It simply doesn't add up.

quote:

This argument could get interminable, but I'd say you're seeing 'crossing the river' as simply the physical act.

But the game does, otherwise it wouldn't allow you more opportunity to do things after the attack has been resolved (and the river crossed) but before the turn ends, like widen the bridgehead, build a bridge, dig into defend.

quote:

At the level OPART operates, I'd say it's crossing the river, clearing the defenders from the opposite bank, establishing some sort of decent communications to the rear, and carving out a defensible position of your own on the other side. Until all this is done, you're not in a good defensive position. You can't just defend 'from your side' if the enemy attacks.

As above for the first part, everything you describe happens after the assault already. For the second part...

quote:

You can't just defend 'from your side' if the enemy attacks.

You surely can or should expect to if you haven't attempted to even cross the river yet.

quote:

I have no problem at all with the current model, where you move onto the river hex and are in a lousy position until you fight your way off of it. Generally, it seems to me to about reflect the way things are.

How? Occupation of the river hex in itself deems you to have successfully carried the water by assault, because counterattacks find you on the wrong side for defensive purposes, whether you have tried to get across or not. How does this even remotely reflect reality?

quote:

quote:

quote:

Let's assume you're right here: that the current system isn't any better. So? I don't really need to demonstrate that the current system is better in all respects -- just that the advantages of the current system minus the disadvantages comes out to about the same value as the advantages of the proposed change minus the disadvantages.

But I don't believe that you have demonstrated that. You are describing (as part of the attack) things which are catered for later in the turn. You talk about the myriad of things getting out of the river hex represents to you, but then the player has to go and do them all for real after the attack by forcing more troops ascross, digging into defend against counterattack etc.

quote:

On this point at least, you're effectively conceding that there's nothing to choose between the two. If it's about a wash overall, I'll stick with the aesthetically pleasing rivers in the middle of hexes.

How am I effectively conceding? You have described a host of reasons that make no sense to me. The extra things you say I'm not seeing are in the game at a secondary stage of the turn, not in the phase you describe. The player is vulnerable at these points if he doesn't do them, so why be vulnerable twice. You still haven't explained why the player should be vulnerable before he has even launched the attack?

Ultimately, the only argument I understand is that you think they look better. For me, that doesn't come into it.

quote:

That sounds okay -- but it wasn't what was said earlier.

I never said what was said earlier.

quote:

Regards,
IronDuke

quote:

I see your above description as simply not looking at things from the OPART scale.

You were talking about single day turns etc earlier. What is the Opart scale? Ultimately, everything you see as part of the assault is more properly part of the part of the turn left after the assault, which is where it is generally handled currently. You want to clear space on the far bank? Fine, launch further assaults with the troops who got across into adjacent hexes. You want to dig into the defend the bridgehead? Fine - tell your units to dig in.

quote:

The crossing doesn't spread out over several turns -- it's all in one turn.

Yes, all in one turn that has multiple phases and which therefore can cope with a multiple layered crossing without trying to abstract the thing to cover for a flaw in River rules.

quote:

I'll grant that the bridge repair situation you describe isn't perfect -- but you will have to get out onto that blown bridge hex to fix that bridge. You're also going to need to attack from that hex -- which is what should happen.

None of which makes up for the point we agree on.

quote:

OPART offers designers the opportunity to model a lot of situations at a lot of scales. Obviously, one can find time and scales where in some situations it falls down. However, I just don't see the overwhelming advantages of hex side rivers. Generally speaking, I think the attacker should be vulnerable when he moves onto that river hex. It does get a bit strange at the larger scales -- but then, the hex side rivers would look strange to me at all scales. I'm for leaving things as they are in this respect -- since the change doesn't seem to offer any compelling advantages.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it falls down everywhere. Anyone who thinks I'm wrong, take all the rivers out of FITE and try the scenario then to see the impact rivers have. Rivers are a crucial piece of the kit and errors here have a significant impact.

regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 59
RE: Defending a river line - 10/4/2007 12:36:22 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it falls down everywhere. Anyone who thinks I'm wrong, take all the rivers out of FITE and try the scenario then to see the impact rivers have. Rivers are a crucial piece of the kit and errors here have a significant impact.

regards,
IronDuke

Here you seem to be disagreeing with something I didn't say. Of course rivers are important: I just don't see that the advantages of hex-side rivers outweigh the disadvantages -- overall

As for your post in general, notice that most of your arguments depend upon the scale being one day or less. Go to larger scales and they become considerably less convincing. At half a week or a week, the 'crossing' is not just the physical act of getting into assault boats, etc -- it's the whole window of defensive vulnerability opened when a force engages in such an operation.

I see this as critical to the argument. OPART tries to model a wide range of situations and scales. What matters is not what is best for one particular situation at one particular scale -- but what works best overall. In general, though, I'd point out that OPART is trying to simulate warfare from an operational -- not a tactical -- perspective. Sure, from a tactical perspective your argument is on sound ground: you're either on one bank or the other -- not half way across. Operationally, though, river crossings are primarily a period of vulnerability -- in this connection, see the German concern with promply smashing Soviet bridgeheads. It wasn't their phyisically getting troops across that was to be feared -- it was allowing them to consolidate and expand their bridgehead -- in other words, get off that river hex.

To me, it's all a wash -- and since I prefer the look of rivers in the middle of the hex, I'm disinclined to advocate a change. Rivers slow you up and they confer advantages on the defender: good enough for me.

The current system works reasonably well -- that can't be said for other aspects of the program. So I'd be inclined to view development time dumped into allowing for hex-side rivers as a waste. Better to come up with an improved supply model, or get some changes to flak, or maybe naval warfare that works...

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/4/2007 12:40:19 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI