Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Guy Thread help us out!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New Guy Thread help us out! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Guy Thread help us out! - 9/28/2007 7:55:23 AM   
cesteman

I wanted to start this thread for people who are either new to TOAW III or have played previous versions of the game. Post your tips here on things you had touble solving. An example would be air transport. There is a lot of game play I have forgot since I played TOAW II. Cheers.
Post #: 1
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 9/28/2007 5:37:40 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

The best advice I can give (briefly) is to play, play, play!

Start smaller and work your way up. Just like chess, when you open the scenario you can freeze up because you are afraid of making "the wrong move". Don't do that. Just start making some moves and learn form your mistakes. Don't feel that, having made some mistakes, you have to finish the scenario. Stop and restart, playing with your new knowledge.

When you feel ready to start PBEM (I'm not there yet), find a helpful veteran that will perhaps give insight and comments during and afterwards on what you might have done differently.

READ the manual and the change list for the current patch. Read through some of the posted game AARs. These will go a long way toward covering many of the basics and some nuances.

Beware of digging up old papers and FAQs based on TOAW I and TOAW II because the Matrix guys and TOAD have made many changes that will render this information incorrect or even harmful to your success.

That's all I can think of.

Edited due to typos.

< Message edited by Major SNAFU -- 9/29/2007 4:54:47 PM >

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 2
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 9/30/2007 7:49:44 PM   
B/snafu

Hi Cesteman,

Dont' know if have been over there but GS has a new player workshop going on--even if you don't enter-reading some of the threads there could help. As the Major above said (no relation) getting the basics vs elmer is important step--but pbem with a vet will also open your eyes to better playing.
After being used to how the PO acts--the human factor throws you for a spin. Case in point--just played a scenario of Fall Grun Vs an experienced player--being the germans & expecting the Czech's to just delay and fortify--I attacked on a broad front & let myself open to counterattcks that I might not of faced Vs Elmer. The vet I was playing went for broke & schooled me by counterattacks in thinly stretched areas of my line & encircling my overextended thrusts. Short part of the story--expecting an easy walk over of the Czechs & only expecting them to try to force a draw or similar--the scenario ended around turn 5 with a Czech major victory ending WWII before it even began

I'm not a vet but with my limited skill-I might be an even challenge for you to get started with when you chose to go pbem--we can see who out-noobs the other.

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 3
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/2/2007 7:08:24 PM   
cesteman

I used to play TOAW II so I know some of the game but I forgot most of it when I put it on the shelf. Keep looking for me, I might be ready for a game in a month or so. Right now, I'm just looking through all the scenarios to see which ones look interesting. Just found a world conflict scenario! Man that thing makes my head swim just looking at it. Cheers.

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 4
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/2/2007 8:37:01 PM   
B/snafu

quote:

ORIGINAL: cesteman

I used to play TOAW II so I know some of the game.....

Dang & I thought I might of found a non-vet who wouldn't be kicking my but all over the map---Just send me a pm down the road whenever your ready & interested.

Europe Aflame-(world conflict with a more strategic feel but pbem only) gives a whole nother flavor for TOAW IMHO. There's a multiplayer game in the process of being started up over at GS---still looking for an experienced Allied GM & a few players to tale on some of the minor nation roles. Good way to get in on pbem in a limited fashion & introduced to EA.

"How can you buy eggs in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa for five cents?? "

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 5
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/3/2007 4:52:49 AM   
cesteman

Thanks for the info.

(in reply to B/snafu)
Post #: 6
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/7/2007 6:08:27 PM   
1925frank

When using the Attack Planning Dialogue, I don't seem to be able to adjust the loss tolerance within the Dialogue but must return to the main map, designate my loss tolerance there, and return the Attack Planning Dialogue.  Is there a way to adjust the loss tolerance within the Attack Planing Dialogue?

I haven't found a way to adjust between "Attack" and "Limited Attack" using the Attack Planning Dialogue.  I guess it's always "Attack."  Do I go to the main map, have those units I want "Limited Attack" designated for "Limited Attack," and then go back to the Attack Planning Dialogue?  Is there a way to differentiate between "Attack" and "Limited Attack" within the Dialogue?

Obviously, I'm an new guy. 

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 7
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/7/2007 7:26:47 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

When using the Attack Planning Dialogue, I don't seem to be able to adjust the loss tolerance within the Dialogue but must return to the main map, designate my loss tolerance there, and return the Attack Planning Dialogue.  Is there a way to adjust the loss tolerance within the Attack Planing Dialogue?

I haven't found a way to adjust between "Attack" and "Limited Attack" using the Attack Planning Dialogue.  I guess it's always "Attack."  Do I go to the main map, have those units I want "Limited Attack" designated for "Limited Attack," and then go back to the Attack Planning Dialogue?  Is there a way to differentiate between "Attack" and "Limited Attack" within the Dialogue?

Obviously, I'm an new guy. 

Instead of left-clicking on the unit to add it to the attack, right-click. A pop-up will allow you to choose limited attack and attack tolerance. Note that you must be using Advanced rules for right-clicking to work.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 8
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/7/2007 11:14:27 PM   
1925frank

Excellent!  Thanks, Curtis.  A lack of computer imagination on my part.  I've got to experiment with the right-click more often.

I've enjoyed your AARs (Waterloo and D-Day).  I've looked at some of the articles listed on another thread.

The encouraging thing is others apparently have found the manual less than helpful.  Years ago, when I purchased "Century of Warfare," I poured over the manual, but I found it frustrating.  I didn't feel like I was getting the guidance I needed to realy enjoy the game.

The other encouraging thing is that others indicate the learning curve is steep.  If my progress is slow, it's not just me.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 9
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/11/2007 7:08:34 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

The other encouraging thing is that others indicate the learning curve is steep.  If my progress is slow, it's not just me.

..12 years on, still learning....that to win, every game is seat-of-the-pants stuff..

..no, it's not just you..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 10
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/11/2007 11:48:04 PM   
cesteman

I'm glad  I started this thread. All the more reason to ask new guy questions!

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 11
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 5:21:21 PM   
Lucidor

I'm new too. I toyed some with the Tannenberg scenario and one with two symmetrical sides that was supposedly a tutorial. I downloaded the latest patch. Can anyone direct me to a small real-world scenario that I might enjoy.

Also - does moving units cost them supply? It seems to make them a little more disorganised (or perhaps that was just the attacking), I've noticed.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 12
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 5:22:43 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..12 years on,

From what? TOAW was released nine years ago.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 13
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 5:23:26 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucidor

Also - does moving units cost them supply? It seems to make them a little more disorganised (or perhaps that was just the attacking), I've noticed.

Each movement point used costs 1 supply and 1 readiness.

In addition, units which do not move or fight at all during the turn are at a bonus to supply recovery.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/12/2007 5:25:47 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lucidor)
Post #: 14
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 5:26:16 PM   
1925frank

Cesteman, yes, thank for starting a new guy thread.

As a new guy, here's an observation:  You can play the AI to become familiar with the game, but the AI is a silent opponent who reveals no secrets and provides no insight other than what you can learn by observation.  For learning purposes, after a certain point, this is not ideal. 

I'm playing a PBEM game now, and my opponent is providing a great deal of insight on matters that were otherwise escaping my notice.  So if you're feeling frustrated, don't think it's the wrong time to leap into a PBEM game.  It's probably the right time.

One thing about the PBEM game confused me though, and that was how to save a turn while in the middle of it.  When I relaunched the game to resume the turn, I couldn't access the saved file through the PBEM launch button, which was where I thought I would find it. 

Instead, I had to access the saved file though the "Saved Game" launch button.  I had thought the "Saved Game" button was only for games against the AI.  This might seem rudimentary, but for someone with limited computer skills, like me, this little tip may come in handy.  I didn't want to have to start and finish a turn in a single sitting because I get interrupted frequently, and a lot of the scenarios are large, which, under even ideal circumstances, might require more than one sitting. 

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 15
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 5:35:07 PM   
Lucidor

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Each movement point used costs 1 supply and 1 readiness.

In addition, units which do not move or fight at all during the turn are at a bonus to supply recovery.

Thanks, this is really helpful! I'm aiming to know enough to go PBM:ing. I'll save myself some embarrasment by playing the computer until I learn the mechanics.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 16
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 6:11:19 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I'm playing a PBEM game now, and my opponent is providing a great deal of insight on matters that were otherwise escaping my notice.

In a similar vein, I'll repeat something I've said before; read some AARs. For example;
http://www.tdg.nu/indexarticleaar.html

The third table is AARs. You'll note several from me (Ben Turner). Most of these are not only told from both sides, but also with a third party (usually the designer) providing commentary.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/12/2007 6:14:51 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 17
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 6:13:10 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Thanks, this is really helpful! I'm aiming to know enough to go PBM:ing. I'll save myself some embarrasment by playing the computer until I learn the mechanics.

To add to what Frank said, not everyone who PBMs is an armchair Napoleon (I know I've made some collossal mistakes in my time). You'll probably find you're not so far off the standard as it is.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/12/2007 6:20:41 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lucidor)
Post #: 18
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 6:39:31 PM   
1925frank

Thanks for the link, Golden Delicious.  I have found the AARs helpful, but I didn't know about these particular AARs.  They look like they'll be ideal.

If I print the articles, it'll chop off the right margin.  I didn't see a "Printable View" modifier.  Any suggestions?  This is probably a no-brainer for everyone, but I'm admittedly computer-challenged.

As a new player, my objective in PBEM is to learn.  Realistically I don't think I can be competitive with an experienced player.  I alerted my opponent, because I could see where some players would like to stick with competitive opponents, but if your opponent is good with that, you can have fun and learn at the same time.  You might surprise yourself and your opponent.   

Post #: 19
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 7:02:23 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

If I print the articles, it'll chop off the right margin.  I didn't see a "Printable View" modifier.  Any suggestions?  This is probably a no-brainer for everyone, but I'm admittedly computer-challenged.

Well I read them right off the page, but you could just copy them into word.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 20
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/12/2007 7:26:13 PM   
1925frank

Thank you.  I located the "Printable Version" button at the bottom of the article.

I noticed too you wrote an article about the Burma Campaign.  I printed that as well.  I read a book called:  The Longest War:  Burma 1941-45.  I don't recall the author's name, but he was British, and the thing that I remember best about the book was how much the author must have loved his subject matter.  He certainly was thorough from the British, Japanese, and Burmese sides.  What struck me too was his humane treatment of the Japanese.

Post #: 21
RE: New Guy Thread help us out! - 10/15/2007 4:33:57 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..12 years on,

From what? TOAW was released nine years ago.

..1998 ?..good lord, i had a modern computer for three years before toaw arrived, what did i do with my time ?!....

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New Guy Thread help us out! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI