Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone else find themselves...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Anyone else find themselves... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 8:46:24 PM   
LuckyJim1005

flicking out of the game to google things in the game.

I am a real Noob and just started playing Rising Sun as the Allies. I swear everytime I check something I find myself flipping out to google a piece of info I just looked at.

For example in my desperate search for LB aircrsft I came across the CW-21 Demon. Now I like to think of myself as a bit of a spotter but had no idea what this was. Quick google later and 20 minutes is gone as I read about the CW-21.

Then there was HMS Thanet up north about to try and run for Singapore. I started off by wanting to check how accurate the database is but 30 minutes later I am reading about the fall of Singapore, Catalina's being shot down, disputes over if any of her crew actually survived the war and I am actually considering making a trip to the archives at Kew to look at some of the original signals. http://www.nesa.org.uk/html/hms_thanet_1.htm

I live nearby to Kew so if anyone needs any help with research I'll be pleased to see what I can do.

I am recapturing a lost youth in wargaming gentleman and I wish to raise a glass in salute to the people who made this game.

A simple Well Done.

Post #: 1
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:13:01 PM   
cantona2

You are not alone

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to LuckyJim1005)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:13:47 PM   
RUPD3658

Just wait until a woman introduces herself to you and you immediatly think of the aircraft named for her.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:18:18 PM   
Terminus

Welcome to the looney bin, Jim... Say goodbye to your social life.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:32:28 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Just wait until a woman introduces herself to you and you immediatly think of the aircraft named for her.

Yeah, but I don't meet many Bettys or Nells or Sallys these days. I have known a Lily.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:51:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wait till the first time you throw away perfectly good food in your fridge because the calender date is two weeks after the expiration date..............that is....the calender date in your WITP game

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/2/2007 10:05:18 PM >

(in reply to LuckyJim1005)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 9:56:12 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

Yeah, but I don't meet many Bettys or Nells or Sallys these days. I have known a Lily.

Yep, Nells and Sallys are rare. A few Elizabeths but none are called Betty anymore.

Nowadays it is Jordan and Megan and Riley and Kala (short for Michaela).

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 10:00:29 PM   
RUPD3658

Years ago when I was still playing PACWAR I knew a Val and a Kate (Katherine). I dreamed of being their Zero in a 3 way alpha strike.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 10:03:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

One time I stayed up late finishing an Uncommon Valor turn (second one of the night) until I finally told myself.."look you idiot, you have to work tomorrow". I was asleep before I could say Finshafen (or however you spell that)

The next day, the mom of one of my patients is in the office and I can see she is supressing a giggle the whole time she is looking at me. I start the checklist...shaving cream on my ear lobe?..negative...dried toilet paper controlling hemorrhage on neck?...no...fly open?...negative. Finally she asks with a giggle...."where is Lunga?"

"Did you say Lunga?, I asked incredulously.

"Yeah, I called you last night to see what I should do with the fever and you kept saying, "the Japs attacked Lunga"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/2/2007 10:31:30 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 10:13:40 PM   
VSWG

Post #: 10
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 10:44:05 PM   
LuckyJim1005

Superb all. I am not alone

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/2/2007 10:46:41 PM   
Widell

Oldie but goodie - Unfortunately someone (with good intentions) messed up the Wiki, and I can't make myself unmess it . The mess means it's no longer obvious how things fit together......

EDIT:Actually, once I had a look at it, it was not very hard to revert back to the old layout without loosing the content added by the guy that unfortunately messed up the structure of the thing - Wiki now officially unmessed

< Message edited by Widell -- 10/2/2007 11:42:13 PM >

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 12:00:21 AM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

One time I stayed up late finishing an Uncommon Valor turn (second one of the night) until I finally told myself.."look you idiot, you have to work tomorrow". I was asleep before I could say Finshafen (or however you spell that)

The next day, the mom of one of my patients is in the office and I can see she is supressing a giggle the whole time she is looking at me. I start the checklist...shaving cream on my ear lobe?..negative...dried toilet paper controlling hemorrhage on neck?...no...fly open?...negative. Finally she asks with a giggle...."where is Lunga?"

"Yeah, I called you last night to see what I should do with the fever and you kept saying, "the Japs attacked Lunga"

ROFL

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 13
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 1:38:58 AM   
Yamato hugger

We used to have a regular group of guys that we played various games with. Mostly RPGs (role playing games for those that only played boardgames ). One time I combined the boardgame "Queen of the Skys" with the RPG "Behind Enemy Lines". They all played 1 member of the B-17 crew until it got shot down, then they had to make their way back to England from where-ever. Was actually quite fun.

A few weeks later one of the guys (highschool student, most of us were in our early 20's at the time) came in with a huge smile on his face.

Whats up?
Teacher asked if anyone knew where Brest France was, and I said yea he said.
How do you know where it is? she asked
Because I bombed it! was his reply (he was the bombadier in that game and Brest was a target they put 98% of the bombload on target).

Used to play all weekend just about every weekend. Come monday morning we were all drooling idiots.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 2:19:14 AM   
Terminus

Heh, know that feeling. I had an RPG group once (in high school), where the rule was that we never started gaming until midnight and then kept going for 8-10 hours straight. Seen many a sun come up.

Of course, too old for that sort of silliness now...

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 3:38:54 AM   
ilovestrategy

Oh good gravy, you people
One time I was really heavy into this online RPG called Ultima Online and I was working on getting my fisherman to Grandmaster for months.
At work this guy said he loved to fish and the first words that came out of my mouth were"Did you GM(Grandmaster) fishing yet?"
He was like 'Whaaaaaaaat?"

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 3:39:34 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Cannot...type....laughing...too.....hard

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Post #: 17
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 3:53:55 AM   
Canoerebel

In my AAR I've typed '42 so often (01/15/42, 07/23/42, etc etc etc) so often that I find myself often using '42 in my notes at work.  Last week I dated a work entry 09/28/42.  Time warp. 

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:08:53 AM   
bradfordkay

In sixth grade my teacher used to do a weekly geography bee. She'd pull down the huge world map all classrooms had back then, call out a student's name and then a location for him to point out. She soon realized that with me she had to come up with more unusual locations in order for it to be a challenge.

Why? Because I spent way too much of my time either playing wargames or perusing the West Point Atlas of American Wars (and the Napoleonic Atlas as well). My friends now accuse me of having an atlas for a brain...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 10/3/2007 7:11:50 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 5:08:07 PM   
Canoerebel

I love maps too - I keep them in the bathroom for....well, you know.  I live in Georgia, but this week I've been studying maps of Maine and Nova Scotia.  Why?  I dunno - I can't help myself.  It would be interesting to have a psychologist analyze us - our shared interests in war games and history and apparent universal enjoyment of SEC football and universal dislike of Yankee football must be indicative of something.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 6:56:11 PM   
bradfordkay

You probably wouldn't like the results...

BTW: I have a filing cabinet just for maps.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 6:59:03 PM   
BrucePowers

Luckily for me, there are 2 guys here at work who don't mind hearing about this game.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:00:48 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I love maps too - I keep them in the bathroom for....well, you know.  I live in Georgia, but this week I've been studying maps of Maine and Nova Scotia.  Why?  I dunno - I can't help myself.  It would be interesting to have a psychologist analyze us - our shared interests in war games and history and apparent universal enjoyment of SEC football and universal dislike of Yankee football must be indicative of something.

Wait a minute, who said anything about loving SEC football

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 10/3/2007 7:02:45 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:04:14 PM   
bradfordkay

CR and I are both UGA grads (me, class of '81 - the best year ever!). The subject didn't come up on this thread, but it has been cropping up throughout the forum (especially during the fall).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:34:11 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Heh, know that feeling. I had an RPG group once (in high school), where the rule was that we never started gaming until midnight and then kept going for 8-10 hours straight. Seen many a sun come up.

And here i spent all of my highschool chasing girls and beer.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:36:08 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I got a picture of one of the nukes going off at bikini atoll in my batchroom

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:39:05 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

If you have to chase the beer there is a serious problem.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 7:43:58 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

So did I. Never got good at it...

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/3/2007 9:08:03 PM   
RUPD3658

I found it was easier to set a trap and wait rather than chasing. A house and a large bank account make excellent bait not to mention my other charms.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29
RE: Anyone else find themselves... - 10/4/2007 1:08:16 AM   
Big B

Vals, Kates and Bettys?, yeah I remember encounters with those Can't think of anything printable though
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

quote:

Yep, Nells and Sallys are rare. A few Elizabeths but none are called Betty anymore.

Nowadays it is Jordan and Megan and Riley and Kala (short for Michaela).

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Anyone else find themselves... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI