Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 6:36:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

We have a separate graphics tile for a stream, do we not?

Actually, we don't.

Okay, we don't, but somehow on my monitor, I can see little light blue things anyone can cross and more substantial looking dark blue things that no one can cross without engineers or a bridge. I've (rather colloquially by the looks of it) come to call these things streams and rivers.

Whatever you choose to call them, the program calls them 'rivers' and 'major rivers' (or is it 'super rivers'?)

Note that even the 'rivers' are significant obstacles.

You might as well insist there are indeed streams, though. What the hell.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/7/2007 8:03:16 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 121
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 4:29:41 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Quoting out of context for effect. I said all rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.

That's also untrue: you can man the Dyle as heavily as you please: it's not going to be a significant factor in the outcome of the battle.

Not on your 20 yard stretch unless it has been raining heavily, or it is heavily mined. However, how does treating us to a picture of a stream prove that rivers are not valid military obstacles. Give us a pic of the Dniepr, the Oder, the Rhine or the Rapido.

Regards,
IronDuke

quote:

Why should I? I never claimed that no rivers were significant military obstacles; I merely claimed that not all were. You are the one trying to insist that 'all rivers are significant military obstacles if the forces exist to defend them.'

Because you haven't shown us a river that isnt a significant military obstacle (assuming sufficient forces) you've shown us a stream. You haven't proven your contention, period.

Besides, proving that one 20 yard stretch of one river (sic) in a world crowded with them might not be military significant hardly destroys the point, now does it?

quote:

Here, I'll prove you're wrong another way. There's an anecdote about Schlieffen that's actually intended to demonstrate something else entirely, but it can be turned to account here. Schlieffen and some fellow officer were riding together on maneuvers. It was dawn, and the fellow officer pointed out the image of the sun rising over the River Pregel. Schlieffen glanced at the river and commented, 'an insignificant military obstacle.'

An unsourced anecdote destroys what? Do you think it really destroys Military practice? I

When the Germans invaded Belgium and Holland in 1940, the main armoured thrust of their diversionary assault didn't try (surprisingly) to cross your stream, but headed straight for the Gembloux gap, a place (horror of horrors) completely devoid of easy to cross water obstacles and instead full of tank friendly dry ground.

Who would have thought it?

Does it not occur to you that wherever you read Military history you will find defending forces invariably using river obstacles for defence where they can find them?

If rivers were insignificant military obstacles, why did so many Allied paratroopers die trying to capture bridges across them in 1944?

Why did the French anchor their defences on the Somme after the initial defeats?

Why are the Dniepr and Volga, Bug, Oder and Rhine such important terms of reference for WWII?

quote:

'river'...'insignificant military obstacle.' All rivers are not significant military obstacles. Of course they're not. Some are insignificant.

That's because they are not rivers, but streams. Roads are invariably a help to logistics, but you would accept (I am assuming) that a dirt track that floods into mud in the autumn and is a creaky dust pile in the summer is not quite as useful as a freeway?

We have various types of "river" tile that already models this rather banal point. What's the problem?

Trying to prove absolutes completely undermines your point, because in your desparate attempt to find some water (any water) that doesn't fit the general picture, you go down all sorts of weird roads.

Put another way, if I was to say "America is a well educated nation", that point isn't invalidated by someone bringing up three Guys from Arkansas who can't write their own name. The majority of Rivers (as opposed to streams) are clearly significant obstacles so rules should be written to ensure the majority are catered for. In our scenario, that means having rivers treated seriously because Soldiers in real life do.

Regards,
IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 10/7/2007 4:33:56 PM >

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 122
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 4:30:45 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, we don't.

Okay, we don't, but somehow on my monitor, I can see little light blue things anyone can cross and more substantial looking dark blue things that no one can cross without engineers or a bridge. I've (rather colloquially by the looks of it) come to call these things streams and rivers.

Whatever you choose to call them, the program calls them 'rivers' and 'major rivers' (or is it 'super rivers'?)

So now we degenerate into semantics. Whatever.

Post #: 123
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 4:47:34 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, we don't.

So now we degenerate into semantics. Whatever.

..err, yes we do, if you've loads'a ferry units, it's a stream, if you haven't, it's a river, super or otherwise..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

Post #: 124
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 5:32:52 PM   
Catch21

quote:

The Dyle.

And please don't post a shot of the Rapido. That some rivers are indeed significant military obstacles is not a point that I am disputing.
Come on lads. Isn't this is getting a little too heated, starting to verge on the personal. Before anyone gets their lighter out, can't we just agree that if you could have a one-hex scenario that represented the entire Earth rivers would be irrelevant, or that in in a 1000x1000-hex scenario representing a German assault over the Dyle River at squad level it might be considered something of an impediment to the attacking force.

Then we can all sharpen our pencils and get to work on engine improvements or workarounds. Besides no-one has yet considered how being a non-swimmer might affect one's attitude to this important issue.

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Post #: 125
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 7:11:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

That is the entire point, they simply will not and indeed can not be mixed until someone attempts a crossing. Whether tactically, strategically, operationally or hillbillywilly, forces aren't mixed if they are on separate sides of the river. Trying to see things in this "macro operational" sense is just smoke and mirrors because the river provides a barrier between any interaction on whatever scale you want.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. First, let's consider the macro case: Think of the Seine in 1944 (reference my "France 1944" scenario if needed). Did the Allies wait before crossing the Seine anywhere until every single inch of it on the Western side was Allied controlled? Of course not. Would players wait until every single hex of it on the Western side was Allied controlled before crossing anywhere? Again, of course not. It was crossed in multiple places long before all of the areas west of it were cleared. And that's just what will happen in TOAW.

Now, just translate that to the micro scale internal to the hex. Tactically, the same thing will occur. There is actually no guarantee that there will ever be a magic instance in which everybody is neatly on their respective sides of the river. It can happen, but it will be an exception.

quote:

In your "macro operational" sense, you enter the river hex and are teleported instantly across the river even if you have no amphibious abilities or engineers available. Your entire Unit (at the "macro operational" scale sometimes a Corp strong) makes this miraculous journey and once across the river becomes vulnerable to counteratttack.

What?? If it's a super river, you can't enter the hex without ferry ability.

quote:

However, (and here's the fun bit) having entered the hex and having magically gotten across the river without the aid of engineers, our "macro operational" Wunder swimmers cross back to their own side in order to make a full scale assault. How else can we explain having to cross the river to attack the enemy but already be across it if the enemy attack you first?

Again, the engineers or some sort of ferry ability are needed to enter the super river hex. Once in that area, the force will be offensively debilitated by being in that area. As I've said before, TOAW doesn't model the river as a boundary, but as an area. Neither way is perfect. Each has it's own merits.

quote:

It simply makes no sense. The only think making less sense are the attempts to defend it (with respect).

It only makes no sense if one insists on treating it as if it were modeling the river as a boundary.

quote:

No, of course not, but then single hills don't cover 50 square kilometres as they do on large scale maps for all intents and purposes. Since when have the maps been anything over than rough approximations? Why can we approximate everything except this.

Or let me turn the question around? Do you believe all rivers fall neatly in the middle of hexes?

They all fall neatly in the hexes. Since they're modeled as areas, that's not as distorting as being "frogmarched" (as Colin put it) into the hexsides.

quote:

quote:

Neither can you. Neither method models all the tactical considerations.

But one does. River hex sides put you on one side or the other until you use movement or aggressive action to get across. How is this different in any way to reality?

As I've said, hexside rivers don't model the transverse defense benefit.

quote:

Disingenuous (because you can't have misunderstood my point). What you made up was the cause of the effect. The Allies did get across in numerous places, but it had nothing to do with rivers being poor military obstacles, and everything to do with relative combat power.

It is a fact that the Rhine was crossed easily in multiple places in 1945. The why is theory.

quote:

Someone else has already disagreed with you, here, but without engineers you can't get across at all, supplies are poor without a bridge, I don't believe tac reserve works across a river and you're more vulnerable to counterattack than anywhere ese. Rivers are not just about the initial assault, TOAW models the rest of it as well.

Regardless, it remains only a 30% penalty. And note that that penalty must be paid anyway if the offensive is to continue on. It's just a matter of specifically where it gets paid.

quote:

But the roads wouldn't actually be going anywhere anyway would they since you'd blown the bridge. Besides, see below, we're having a Paradigm shift apparently, so why don't we just come up with dynamic hex sides. We could use the same coding to have better obstacles and fortifications in long term scenarios.

No, they could be going off in up to 10 other directions.

quote:

quote:

The "Bridge Destroyed" tiles we just made would have to be re-done.

Well, we can't have that, dysfunctional river hexes it is then.

quote:

And TOAW doesn't actually have any true "hexside" features. What it does have are features that fall next to the hexside, but within the hex. To do true hexside features will require a paradigm shift.

A paradigm shift? With respect, we're tinkering with a war game, not ditching Adam and Eve for Darwin.

Just have a bridge hexside feature on both sides "next to the hexside, but within the hex".

No matter how you try to wiggle out of it, the costs are going to be huge for this.

quote:

quote:

And what are the benefits? Here it is: A 0.7 combat multiplier will be slightly revised as to where it is applied. And this won't impact a single existing scenario. It can only affect some future scenario yet to be constructed.

Incorrect.

No. It was completely correct. The benefits of this change will be practically non-existent. For sure no existing scenario will see any benefit at all.

quote:

The argument there are more important considerations I can accept, the argument "things should stay as they are because I like the look better" I can't and won't.

That is not anyone's point and you know it. If TOAW had come out with hexside rivers I would not be here arguing that we should switch to river hexes no matter the cost.

quote:

Even the first argument rings a little hollow to me given the real important considerations are yet to be considered, but plenty of less important ones already have.

Again, low cost items have been focused on. High cost items must have high benefit.

Post #: 126
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 8:04:49 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Trying to prove absolutes completely undermines your point, because in your desparate attempt to find some water (any water) that doesn't fit the general picture, you go down all sorts of weird roads.

My 'attempt' to find rivers that are militarily insignificant hasn't exactly been desperate: I named the Dyle as a relatively well-known example that is in fact militarily insignificant. In fact, I can quickly reel off several other rivers that would not be militarily significant at most OPART scales.

The Rio Grande -- at least the bit around Albuquerque.

The Southern Platte

The Gila

All fairly well-known, all are called 'rivers' -- and all have been put into at least one scenario. Now, let's get back to your statement that 'all rivers are militarily significant if properly defended.' I love that one.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 127
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 11:36:33 PM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

My 'attempt' to find rivers that are militarily insignificant hasn't exactly been desperate: I named the Dyle as a relatively well-known example that is in fact militarily insignificant. In fact, I can quickly reel off several other rivers that would not be militarily significant at most OPART scales.

The Southern Platte

The Gila

All fairly well-known, all are called 'rivers' -- and all have been put into at least one scenario. Now, let's get back to your statement that 'all rivers are militarily significant if properly defended.' I love that one.

What is so hard about this?

What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Secondly, as I said, finding 20 yards amongst all Europe's waterways that don't look that daunting is irrelevant to the general point.

Try the Sava river in Bosnia. According to a recent paper I read from the US Army Command and General Staff College , It took the US 1st Armoured Division a week to build a crossing in the face of absolutely no opposition at all in 96.

As I said, finding three people from Arkansas who can't write their name doesn't invalidate the statement Americans are well educated unless you want to be rather pedantic.

Resting your entire case here on disproving my central thesis with a picture of 20 yards of Stream is, frankly, silly.

I am confident I can prove Rivers are significant military obstacles. If you can't prove they aren't, then the case for change is unarguable because surely we must write rules for the 99% that are, and not the 1% you can find after three years on Google earth. You can have your 20 yards of stream. Why should we write rules based upon your picture that would apply to an assault crossing of the Dniepr?

IronDuke

Post #: 128
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 11:55:10 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Southern Platte

The Gila

What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Nu? The Dyle is called a river. People put it into scenarios as a river. It's a river.

Where you're headed is to say that only rivers large enough to be significant military obstacles are rivers -- so all rivers are significant military obstacles.

Okay -- sure. However, we now find ourselves in the astonishing position of insisting the Rio Grande at Albuquerque is not a river. On the other hand, I remember some anonymous creek in Alabama. It had cut itself a nice, sheer cut about thirty feet deep. That, in military terms, most certainly was a river. You could argue that we should then line the banks with escarpment, etc -- but I find 'river' is a convenient shorthand for the whole situation.

The fact is that not all rivers are significant military obstacles. Moreover, this is not simply a function of their size. It also depends on how many little bridges and fords there are scattered up and down the banks, whether the river is in a deep canyon or not, how much cover is along the banks, and even what the doctrine and capabilities of the forces contesting the crossing are. Not all rivers are militarily significant obstacles.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 129
RE: Defending a river line - 10/7/2007 11:58:01 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I am confident I can prove Rivers are significant military obstacles. If you can't prove they aren't, then the case for change is unarguable because surely we must write rules for the 99% that are, and not the 1% you can find after three years on Google earth. You can have your 20 yards of stream. Why should we write rules based upon your picture that would apply to an assault crossing of the Dniepr?

IronDuke

Actually, this may astonish you -- but I was aware of the Dyle, the Rio Grande, and the Platte even without going to Google Earth. The fact of the matter is that I am describing a pretty common feature -- rivers that aren't significant military obstacles.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 130
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:06:24 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Southern Platte

The Gila

Nu? The Dyle is called a river. People put it into scenarios as a river. It's a river.

Where you're headed is to say that only rivers large enough to be significant military obstacles are rivers -- so all rivers are significant military obstacles.

No, I'm saying streams are not rivers.

quote:

The fact is that not all rivers are significant military obstacles. Moreover, this is not simply a function of their size. It also depends on how many little bridges and fords there are scattered up and down the banks, whether the river is in a deep canyon or not, how much cover is along the banks, and even what the doctrine and capabilities of the forces contesting the crossing are. Not all rivers are militarily significant obstacles.

Bridges and fords are mined and overlooked by automatic weapons with artillery and mortars zeroed in. We are writing rules which suit the majority, and where they don't look like streams and aren't one in a million because they are at the bottom of a grand canyon, then they are significant obstacles if defended.

Even 20 yards of relatively shallow water (10 ft?) will prevent Armour from joining the assault, will require infantry to cross in slow flimsy boats, will make it impossible to flank and make reinforcements and logistical re-supply slow and possibly problematic. If you don't believe that, then lets have river rules to suit your stream and ensure we don't have rules that might allow a Rapido, or a Meuse (where German assault waves were heavily hit in places).

Even very shallow water will lack cover, will prevent sprinting, may make footing treachorous etc.

Like I said, I don't care what looks better.

IronDuke

Post #: 131
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:08:58 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

IronDuke

Actually, this may astonish you -- but I was aware of the Dyle, the Rio Grande, and the Platte even without going to Google Earth. The fact of the matter is that I am describing a pretty common feature -- rivers that aren't significant military obstacles.

No, you're describing streams or small sections of larger rivers that would be particularly well defended if the forces existed to defend them.

Or do you think the defenders will miss shallow narrow stretches or easily fordable sections? Or perhaps mass themselves behind those parts of the Dniepr hundreds of yards wide?

Post #: 132
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:10:12 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

The Southern Platte

The Gila

One last thing, if the Dyle was militarily insignificant, why did the Germans use the Gembloux Gap?

Post #: 133
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:24:30 AM   
ColinWright

Well, I'll confess that I really didn't really follow the argument between you and 'Curtis LeMay' too closely: a mind's a terrible thing to waste, and as far as I'm concerned, hex-side vs. the current system is kind of like who becomes school board supervisor. If I happen to be around, and I get to vote, I will -- but I'm not going to worry myself over it excessively.

I have to say, though. Much as I differ with 'Curtis LeMay', he's usually got hold of some part of the truth (usually that's the problem, actually.) Your willingness to defend the proposition that 'all rivers are militarily significant' makes me inclined to guess that he must be right and you wrong. At any rate, that's where the probabilities lie.

He gets to be sanitary district auditor. My vote definitely stays with rivers in the middle of the hex.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/8/2007 12:29:27 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 134
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:28:34 AM   
IronDuke_slith

And your argument they are three feet deep and 10 yards across leads me to believe you are wrong and someone else right. Certainly every Military profressional in the history of warfare that dreaded the thought of an opposed river crossing has learnt something from your words today.

Answer the Gembloux question.

Either way, I guess we're through.

Post #: 135
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:40:58 AM   
Catch21

quote:

What is so hard about this? What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Secondly, as I said, finding 20 yards amongst all Europe's waterways that don't look that daunting is irrelevant to the general point.
Firstly, nothing at all. Secondly, to a non-swimmer 20 yards across a creek, stream or even puddle might as well be a moonshot.

Post #: 136
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:52:07 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff

quote:

What is so hard about this? What you pictured was a stream. Therefore, it is not remotely part of the argument about rivers.

Firstly, nothing at all. Secondly, to a non-swimmer 20 yards across a creek, stream or even puddle might as well be a moonshot.

Good point and even more so if you're under fire.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 137
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 12:53:46 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

That is the entire point, they simply will not and indeed can not be mixed until someone attempts a crossing. Whether tactically, strategically, operationally or hillbillywilly, forces aren't mixed if they are on separate sides of the river. Trying to see things in this "macro operational" sense is just smoke and mirrors because the river provides a barrier between any interaction on whatever scale you want.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis LemayI'm sorry, but that just isn't true. First, let's consider the macro case: Think of the Seine in 1944 (reference my "France 1944" scenario if needed). Did the Allies wait before crossing the Seine anywhere until every single inch of it on the Western side was Allied controlled? Of course not. Would players wait until every single hex of it on the Western side was Allied controlled before crossing anywhere? Again, of course not. It was crossed in multiple places long before all of the areas west of it were cleared. And that's just what will happen in TOAW.

But they don't have to wait until all the western bank is secured whether we have river hexes or river hex sides, I don't see what you are getting at here. You can take a stretch of west bank then immediately throw yourselves across to the east in either setting. My point is that you throw yourselves across by choice and don't get across for free if the other bank is defended. Here you do with river hexes, since any counterattack into an occupied river hex treats the defenders as if they did get across.

quote:

Now, just translate that to the micro scale internal to the hex. Tactically, the same thing will occur. There is actually no guarantee that there will ever be a magic instance in which everybody is neatly on their respective sides of the river. It can happen, but it will be an exception.

Incorrect. It is true up to the point that someone attempts a crossing. If the other bank is defended, at no scale are small units going to just jump across for the hell of it. Deliberate River crossings are carefully planned operations, generally requiring air and artillery co-ordination and support from Corp and Army attachments. Not to mention engineers. A hasty river crossing might sometimes be attempted if surprise is possible and the defenders weak, but then you can simulate that under the present situationm anyhow.

If the other side isn't defended at all, then subject to engineers, units can cross anyway.

quote:

In your "macro operational" sense, you enter the river hex and are teleported instantly across the river even if you have no amphibious abilities or engineers available. Your entire Unit (at the "macro operational" scale sometimes a Corp strong) makes this miraculous journey and once across the river becomes vulnerable to counteratttack.

quote:

What?? If it's a super river, you can't enter the hex without ferry ability.

And if it isn't? If you're on the hex with an engineer unit, you suffer the same penalties even though you haven't crossed.

quote:

However, (and here's the fun bit) having entered the hex and having magically gotten across the river without the aid of engineers, our "macro operational" Wunder swimmers cross back to their own side in order to make a full scale assault. How else can we explain having to cross the river to attack the enemy but already be across it if the enemy attack you first?

quote:

Again, the engineers or some sort of ferry ability are needed to enter the super river hex.

And if it isn;t a super river hex, or you are on the river hex with engineers?

quote:

Once in that area, the force will be offensively debilitated by being in that area. As I've said before, TOAW doesn't model the river as a boundary, but as an area. Neither way is perfect. Each has it's own merits.

But the river is a boundary, just like a trenchline or fixed fortifications.

quote:

It simply makes no sense. The only think making less sense are the attempts to defend it (with respect).

quote:

It only makes no sense if one insists on treating it as if it were modeling the river as a boundary.

Well, how do we describe a piece of terrain that prohibits normal movement? We model escarpments, coastlines, front lines etc.

quote:

No, of course not, but then single hills don't cover 50 square kilometres as they do on large scale maps for all intents and purposes. Since when have the maps been anything over than rough approximations? Why can we approximate everything except this.

Or let me turn the question around? Do you believe all rivers fall neatly in the middle of hexes?

quote:

They all fall neatly in the hexes. Since they're modeled as areas, that's not as distorting as being "frogmarched" (as Colin put it) into the hexsides.

But the maps are not so uber accurate this is actually a consideration, see hills above.

quote:

quote:

Neither can you. Neither method models all the tactical considerations.

But one does. River hex sides put you on one side or the other until you use movement or aggressive action to get across. How is this different in any way to reality?

quote:

As I've said, hexside rivers don't model the transverse defense benefit.

But who was deliberating about macro above? Without prompting, units are crossing defended rivers on a small scale because you think it happens on the macro scale, yet here you're worried about a specific tactical consideration. Like I said earlier, why is transverse an issue, crossing hex sides models this by your direction.

quote:

Disingenuous (because you can't have misunderstood my point). What you made up was the cause of the effect. The Allies did get across in numerous places, but it had nothing to do with rivers being poor military obstacles, and everything to do with relative combat power.

quote:

It is a fact that the Rhine was crossed easily in multiple places in 1945. The why is theory.

Yes, but the Hudson is crossed easily every single day by thousands of people, we wouldn't use that fact to model a combat crossing of the Rhine though, would we? The theory in this case is everything.

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think the Allies crossed so easily in so many places?

quote:

Someone else has already disagreed with you, here, but without engineers you can't get across at all, supplies are poor without a bridge, I don't believe tac reserve works across a river and you're more vulnerable to counterattack than anywhere ese. Rivers are not just about the initial assault, TOAW models the rest of it as well.

quote:

Regardless, it remains only a 30% penalty. And note that that penalty must be paid anyway if the offensive is to continue on. It's just a matter of specifically where it gets paid.

Almost a third of your combat power. "Only" is in the eye of the beholder. It's also the same penalty applied to Marines wading ashore at Tarawa and GIs coming ashore at Omaha. Were these difficult operations? Norm seems to think the river crossing was just as perilous.

Perhaps he hadn't seen our infamous picture of the Dyle .

quote:

No matter how you try to wiggle out of it, the costs are going to be huge for this.

So? We're arguing about whether such a change should be done on rules grounds. The argument about priority is a separate one to be had once we've decided what is best.

quote:

No. It was completely correct. The benefits of this change will be practically non-existent. For sure no existing scenario will see any benefit at all.

Unless designers re do them. Designers have been tweaking their scenarios in line with changes since the dawn of time. Also, it is little about penality. You ignoring the issues with being in a river hex and defending, and having to defend river bridge hexes does not make them go away.

quote:

The argument there are more important considerations I can accept, the argument "things should stay as they are because I like the look better" I can't and won't.

quote:

That is not anyone's point and you know it. If TOAW had come out with hexside rivers I would not be here arguing that we should switch to river hexes no matter the cost.

I have seen the ascetic argument wheeled out in this thread.

quote:

Even the first argument rings a little hollow to me given the real important considerations are yet to be considered, but plenty of less important ones already have.

quote:

Again, low cost items have been focused on. High cost items must have high benefit.

What high cost/high benefit items have been worked on to date?

regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 138
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 1:04:42 AM   
Catch21

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff

quote:

Good point and even more so if you're under fire.
Yes. Then it becomes an Apollo 13 moment, as there's a natural tendency to get undercover. That might mean underwater, which is possibly where you were anyway to begin with as a non-swimmer.

But as 'Saving Private Ryan' awfully showed, you'll have to deal with that terrible 'light bulb' moment realizing that you're not safe there either.

Post #: 139
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 3:16:58 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

On the other hand, I remember some anonymous creek in Alabama. It had cut itself a nice, sheer cut about thirty feet deep. That, in military terms, most certainly was a river. You could argue that we should then line the banks with escarpment, etc -- but I find 'river' is a convenient shorthand for the whole situation.

The escarpment solution also lets you have hexside rivers. Iron Duke will be very pleased.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 140
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 3:32:58 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

And your argument they are three feet deep and 10 yards across leads me to believe you are wrong and someone else right. Certainly every Military profressional in the history of warfare that dreaded the thought of an opposed river crossing has learnt something from your words today.

A narrow, slow-flowing, shallow river (there are plenty of these in the world, trust me) presents as many opportunities as it does problems. The defender will have a feeling of security which can be exploited. You can just ride over it (the Granicus), cross where it's less well covered (the Boisne), wait for it to freeze (the Delaware) or cross under cover of darkness.

Moreover any well-prepared position will have in front of it a patch of coverless ground which the attacker will have to cross. If the water is fordable then it is really no different

quote:

The whole offensive into central Belgium was a gigantic diversion. The Germans attacked where they did to make it look like it was the real thing.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/8/2007 3:35:38 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 141
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 3:41:37 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

On the other hand, I remember some anonymous creek in Alabama. It had cut itself a nice, sheer cut about thirty feet deep. That, in military terms, most certainly was a river. You could argue that we should then line the banks with escarpment, etc -- but I find 'river' is a convenient shorthand for the whole situation.

The escarpment solution also lets you have hexside rivers. Iron Duke will be very pleased.

Maybe the 'Eiserner Herzog' may take a look at 'Frozen Steppes' by Jarek Flis... Here's a teaser:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telumar -- 10/8/2007 3:45:24 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 142
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 6:15:53 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
Maybe the 'Eiserner Herzog' may take a look at 'Frozen Steppes' by Jarek Flis... Here's a teaser:

The downside of this solution is that these hexside "rivers" have weird effects on artillery and cannot be used in scenarios with mountain units.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 143
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 6:51:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

they simply will not and indeed can not be mixed until someone attempts a crossing.

quote:

But they don't have to wait until all the western bank is secured whether we have river hexes or river hex sides, I don't see what you are getting at here.

What I'm getting at is that your point in bold above is wrong. They can and will get mixed without everyone ever being lined up neatly, each on their own side of the river. And that can be extrapolated to the tactical scale within the hex.

quote:

quote:

Incorrect.

No. It really is correct. Don't think of the hex as a monolithic block. Think of it as a giant tactical map, and combat on it like in a tactical wargame. There will be just as much complexity within that tactical map as with the Seine crossings. It is just as unlikely that there will be some magic moment where everyone is neatly on their respective sides of the river. It can happen, where one side falls back willfully. But with the more common situation of general combat in progress, it won't.

quote:

And if it isn't? If you're on the hex with an engineer unit, you suffer the same penalties even though you haven't crossed.

If it isn't a super river you don't need an engineer, or ferry ability. It's presumably shallow enough to ford. What is your point here?

quote:

quote:

Once in that area, the force will be offensively debilitated by being in that area. As I've said before, TOAW doesn't model the river as a boundary, but as an area. Neither way is perfect. Each has it's own merits.

That was a slip-up. How are trenchlines and fixed fortifications modeled in TOAW? That's right - as areas, not boundaries.

This sort of reminds me of the quandry Newton was in about light: Was it a particle or a wave? Of course, he never figured it out - because the answer was that it was both.

Rivers are similar. Are they a boundary or an area? Well they have properties of both. Yes, they have to be crossed. But they also snake around an area and provide transverse defensive benefits - like well designed trenches do.

quote:

But the maps are not so uber accurate this is actually a consideration, see hills above.

I think we want as little distortion as possible. If one method is more distorting then that's a strike against it.

quote:

But who was deliberating about macro above? Without prompting, units are crossing defended rivers on a small scale because you think it happens on the macro scale, yet here you're worried about a specific tactical consideration. Like I said earlier, why is transverse an issue, crossing hex sides models this by your direction.

You're the one wanting tactical issues to be non-abstracted. Nether method covers everything.

quote:

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think the Allies crossed so easily in so many places?

Because the Rhine was overrated as a defensive obstacle. I remember something about the German generals in charge there saying as much after the fact. But in the end, the fact that it was easily crossed is more important than anyone's opinion of why it was so easy.

quote:

Almost a third of your combat power. "Only" is in the eye of the beholder. It's also the same penalty applied to Marines wading ashore at Tarawa and GIs coming ashore at Omaha. Were these difficult operations? Norm seems to think the river crossing was just as perilous.

Tarawa and Omaha were heavily entrenched. Omaha had an escarpment. Had the defenders been in mobile deployment on the beach, they would have been slaughtered. The 30% penalty is not comparable to other terrain penalties.

quote:

quote:

So?

So this must be a low priority item.

quote:

Unless designers re do them. Designers have been tweaking their scenarios in line with changes since the dawn of time. Also, it is little about penality. You ignoring the issues with being in a river hex and defending, and having to defend river bridge hexes does not make them go away.

If you re-make the map you might as well start over from scratch. No one is going to do that. And there are vast numbers of scenarios that never get edited because the designers have moved on.

quote:

Equipment editor.

Post #: 144
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 8:09:34 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

The downside of this solution is that these hexside "rivers" have weird effects on artillery and cannot be used in scenarios with mountain units.

Sure. But in that particular case and scale (Frozen Steppes) most, if not all, artillery is placed inside the corps or division units and "non-ranged" so to speak. Otherwise you're correct.

Post #: 145
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 9:06:30 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure. But in that particular case and scale (Frozen Steppes) most, if not all, artillery is placed inside the corps or division units and "non-ranged" so to speak. Otherwise you're correct.

In other words, we can have hexside rivers this way...if we're willing to accept no separate artillery units and no ranged artillery fire.

That is, assuming we see hexside rivers as a good in the first place. This sounds like you're prepared to let me move to Oklahoma -- if I pay a $400,000 entrance fee.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/8/2007 9:09:53 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 146
RE: Defending a river line - 10/8/2007 10:19:12 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In other words, we can have hexside rivers this way...if we're willing to accept no separate artillery units and no ranged artillery fire.

That is, assuming we see hexside rivers as a good in the first place. This sounds like you're prepared to let me move to Oklahoma -- if I pay a $400,000 entrance fee.

I'll let you know my bank conection. Check your PM ..and thanks in advance..a quarter goes to the TOAD team for development of TOAW IV.

Seriously. I won't and don't want to promote the hexside rivers feature a la Jarek Flis. And as i said in response to Ben, he's correct, it has strange effects.

Iron Duke has some points as has Bob - but TOAW is as it is and i also don't see a reason, regarding costs/benefits, from changing over to hexside rivers. If you asked me, for TOAW IV i would prefer hexside rivers..

And now let me drop off this interesting, but heated discussion...

Post #: 147
RE: Defending a river line - 10/10/2007 2:22:39 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

they simply will not and indeed can not be mixed until someone attempts a crossing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis LemayWhat I'm getting at is that your point in bold above is wrong. They can and will get mixed without everyone ever being lined up neatly, each on their own side of the river. And that can be extrapolated to the tactical scale within the hex.

And with respect you're very wrong. Sides only intersperse where parts of the river's length may not be held for example. That's fine because you can get across the river in those places and not get over it in another where it is held as things stand in the game right now.

Arriving at a river, a Commander will either throw his men across hastily if he thinks he stands a chance or pause whilst he waits for Corp assets to assist him in a prepared deliberate crossing. Either way, though, he concentrates to improve his chances thus precluding any peacemeal crossing in the way you are simulating.

I can "half see" that at 50 km per hex some of these attempts might be successful and others not successful within a hex that wide. However, given the units being deployed at that level are Divisional or as likely Corp strength, you can' simulate battalions or regiments getting across in such a way that entails the entire Corp to suffer defensive penalties, surely.

However we read it, units don't mix in hexes in TOAW, it's as simple as that. Therefore, the rules only work where you assume everyone is in one hex or another.

quote:

No. It really is correct. Don't think of the hex as a monolithic block. Think of it as a giant tactical map, and combat on it like in a tactical wargame. There will be just as much complexity within that tactical map as with the Seine crossings. It is just as unlikely that there will be some magic moment where everyone is neatly on their respective sides of the river. It can happen, where one side falls back willfully. But with the more common situation of general combat in progress, it won't.

But with the one hex exception around Remagen IRC, everyone was in this position around the much discussed Rhine, if you set up a map within a TOAW scenario. The same at the Meuse in 1940 until Guderian launched his assault. You can't simulate that tactical complexity within this game by postulating combats in the way you want to. Such occasions depend on tactical circumstance, but your preference seems to be for rules which automatically assume these circumstances occurred.

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was a slip-up. How are trenchlines and fixed fortifications modeled in TOAW? That's right - as areas, not boundaries.

Areas you don't get into or past until you make an assault, which essentially means they act like boundaries does it not? You don't cross a trenchline without violence, but under you're thinking, we're simulating (whether it was possible or not - you overestimate how often it happened) the patrolling or or small and very small unit hasty crossing of individual sub-units regardless of the scale in river hexes (which can go as low as say 2.5 km per hex).

quote:

Rivers are similar. Are they a boundary or an area? Well they have properties of both. Yes, they have to be crossed. But they also snake around an area and provide transverse defensive benefits - like well designed trenches do.

But if they snake, your defending forces still only dig in on one side IRL (in a snake like line), meaning they still act as boundaries.

quote:

quote:

I think we want as little distortion as possible. If one method is more distorting then that's a strike against it.

Distortion is inevitable with the mapping tools and rules being used, and the scales sometimes employed. Indeed, it's inevitable and to be welcomed if the alternative is rules which simulate the mixing of units in and around rivers even where it never and couldn't happen.

quote:

quote:

You're the one wanting tactical issues to be non-abstracted. Nether method covers everything.

No, I just want the simplest option which makes sense. You arrive at a river and stop unless you're ordered across. What is so hard about that? Put another way, we arrive at towns and don't simulate aggressive patrolling of the defences do we? We only launch our urban assault if the units are told to.

quote:

quote:

Because the Rhine was overrated as a defensive obstacle. I remember something about the German generals in charge there saying as much after the fact. But in the end, the fact that it was easily crossed is more important than anyone's opinion of why it was so easy.

I disagree wholeheartedly on both points. What sources lead you to believe the Rhine was relatively well defended? Secondly, how can the fact it was easily crossed be more important to us? If we're writing rules, we surely need to know what factors made something happen. Under this logic, we would have amphibious assaults always costing nothing at all because it was a doddle getting ashore at Anzio. We don't, of course, because there were specific factors (that are more important than the "fact that it was easily crossed") at play at Anzio.

quote:

quote:

Tarawa and Omaha were heavily entrenched.

Aha, so the fact that we got across the Rhine is not more important than the factors at play is it, because the Anzio experience wasn't repeated at Tarawa or Omaha. Shall we reconsider the Rhine question now. Why did we get across the Rhine so easily, but get slaughtered on the Rapido?

quote:

Omaha had an escarpment. Had the defenders been in mobile deployment on the beach, they would have been slaughtered. The 30% penalty is not comparable to other terrain penalties.

the 30% penality reflects the difficulties of deploying weaponry and firepower whilst in a boat, the vulnerability of that water borne assault and the narrowing of tactical options for the attacker. It is well justified and applies whether the bank is well defended or not. It only really matters when the bank is well defended, though, because the 30% reduction affects the relative combat strengths much more than when the bank is relatively poorly defended. Herein lies the golden rule re river assaults. They are easy if the enemy are nowhere in sight, really difficult and bloody if he is well dug in on the other side in anything like comparable numbers to the attacker.

quote:

quote:

So?

quote:

So this must be a low priority item.

Not what I've been arguing, and not what the counter argument has been. Also, since huge cost/huge gain stuff has thus far been thin on the ground, then what else is there to argue about.

quote:

quote:

Equipment editor.

I would not rate this so highly but that's a completely separate argument.

Respect and regards,
IronDuke

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 148
RE: Defending a river line - 10/10/2007 2:29:10 AM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/10/2007 2:33:21 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 149
RE: Defending a river line - 10/10/2007 2:29:35 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

A narrow, slow-flowing, shallow river (there are plenty of these in the world, trust me) presents as many opportunities as it does problems. The defender will have a feeling of security which can be exploited. You can just ride over it (the Granicus), cross where it's less well covered (the Boisne), wait for it to freeze (the Delaware) or cross under cover of darkness.

But, if it freezes, it isn't a waterborne assault any longer is it. If it isn't well defended I don't have an issue with it being easier to cross as I've already made clear. But even your topographical type is a problem if they are well dug in and aren't feeling overconfident (something the game doesn't model at that tactical level anyhow so is academic to this discussion).

quote:

Moreover any well-prepared position will have in front of it a patch of coverless ground which the attacker will have to cross. If the water is fordable then it is really no different

Well, it does in so much as even coverless ground will give hollows etc. Hollows in fords just drown you if you look for cover. Besides, historically, even if you couldn't cover the whole river with defences, you made sure the fords and bridges were securely held meaning fords are likely to be tougher than any comparable piece of ground simply because of what they represent.

quote:

quote:

The whole offensive into central Belgium was a gigantic diversion. The Germans attacked where they did to make it look like it was the real thing.

Yes it was, but the fact it was a diversion did not cause them to abandon all principles of warfare. It had to look like the real thing, which meant they went for the gap because no Military Commander crosses a river unless he has to to make the plan work, because (As I keep hypothesising) it was difficult to cross rivers in the face of resistance.

Regards,
IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 10/10/2007 2:46:24 AM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI