Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:25:29 AM   
rjh1971

Hi everybody:

Jon and I, among other people, have been testing the alpha version since january and now that we have a public forum we have decided to start an AAR so you can all get a feeling of how this game is going to be.
As Joel said the game hard learning curve but it also has many strategic possibilities I will try to explain everything the best I can but if you have any doubts or questions don't hesitate to ask.
The scenario we are starting is called Battle Cry of Freedom and begins in July 1861.

The North has two main battlefronts the West and the East. In this game a crucial factor is leaders gaining initiative, without it they are basicaly unable to move into enemy territory and commit into battle. There are three types of leaders in this scenario Theater Commanders (TC) Army Commanders (AC) and Unit Commanders (UC). In any scenario you can have 2 TC and 4 AC, this are very important because they help in gaining initiative to the rest of leaders, TC with initiative assists AC in gaining it, all UC in the same region with an AC who has initiative will all have initiative. So why initiative important, because Leaders with initiative provide certain combat and movement bonuses. A red arrow indicates that a leader has initiative.

In the first turn I have position my troops troops in order to invade Kentucky (Neutral State) as soon as I gain initiative. Taking Kentucky is the Key to win or lose the game, imo, as it will open the way to drive deep into the South along the Missisipi River. On the contrary if the South takes Kentucky they will create a bottleneck which if properly defended will be impregnable. I have sent my three Army Commanders to Cairo (Nathaniel Lyon), New Albany (George B McClellan) and Cinccinati (Irwin McDowell). In all those three regions I have created depots, each depot contain 20 supplies and are useful for obtaining initiative specially if your are in enemy conquered territory, not so much in your own territory.
So if all goes well next turn I will have initiative and violate Kentuckys neutrality. This is what happens when you attack Kentucky: "Special rules are attached to the violation of Kentucky’s neutrality. If a player is the first to invade Kentucky, this will result in a loss of political points for that player. The loss is based on the player and the turn that the invasion violation occurred as follows:
Union turn 1: 140 PP
Confederate turn 1: 120 PP
Union turn 2: 100 PP
Confederate turn 2: 80 PP
Union turn 3: 60 PP
Confederate turn 3: 40 PP
Union turn 4 and thereafter: 20 PP
This loss may only occur once per game.
"
Political Points is the way you determine who is winning or losing the game, to declare emancipation or the recruitment of color troops the Union must have 1000 PP or over, also Lincoln's reelection is won if the North has over 1000 PP. Each region has a PP value.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 10/7/2007 2:28:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:33:05 AM   
rjh1971

The first turn units in the East start with initiative so I overran Grafton, this requieres a six to one odds in combat result and also took Kent and Charles# MD as shown in the screenshot. To be able to make an amphibious invasion your leaders must have initiative and be in a coastal region, it is shown by a couple of waves but no amphibious initiative is given the first turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:42:43 AM   
rjh1971

I haven't mention that this AAR is without fog of war so you can see the colorfull map and all units in detail, nonetheless this game is meant to be played with FOW always on, non spoted units have the following modifiers -1 Target unit not detected, +3 Firing unit not detected. So rotating them from the front to the rear lines and forward is important, later in the game you must take into account the disadvantage of losin entrenchement.

The screenshot shows that I have done a draft of troops, this has the following consequences: "The Union player may lower the population costs of building or repairing units by declaring a draft. The Union player must spend 50 political points to declare a draft. By declaring a draft the Union player may raise, build and repair units at one third of the normal volunteer cost. When a draft is declared the Union player may raise, build and repair units at the lower draft rate for two turns. This is followed by four post draft turns of paying higher population costs. The Union player must wait until the post draft phase is complete before declaring another draft." The normal population cost for Union militia is 18. If the Union player declares a draft then the population cost will be six for two turns and increase to 21 for four turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:45:24 AM   
rjh1971

Here you can see how much militia was created this turn becasue of the draft.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 4
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:49:41 AM   
rjh1971

And last you can clearly see the overwhelming indutrial output the North has over the South, but that doesn't mean the North is going to get into the South as in a military parade, the South has ways to stop them on their tracks if properly directed and Jon is an expert.
In the production phase you cannot build troops, only artillery, supplies and ships, nonetheles when infantry units get damaged (not militia) they do appear in the production queue.

The game has so many aspects that is hard to post them all at once, we will try to show them to you as the AAR advances.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 10/7/2007 2:54:54 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 5
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 3:00:06 AM   
Duck Doc

Great introduction! Keep it coming. Now, how do I stop drooling all over my keyboard .

Are the militia units really regiments or just generic units?

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 6
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 7:41:51 AM   
Joel Billings

Each Militia unit represents 2000 generic men with a state ID based on where they were raised. When trained, or if they have success in battle, they become infantry. Once infantry, future success will lead the unit to gain experience. Each Artillery unit represents 20 guns.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 7
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 2:56:32 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Each Militia unit represents 2000 generic men with a state ID based on where they were raised. When trained, or if they have success in battle, they become infantry. Once infantry, future success will lead the unit to gain experience. Each Artillery unit represents 20 guns.

That means more than 100,000 men raised in July'61 in the screenie above (50 militia units) . Isn't that a bit high ?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 4:30:01 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

That means more than 100,000 men raised in July'61 in the screenie above (50 militia units) . Isn't that a bit high ?

You have to bear in mind that a draft was called and that means that recruitment will boost x3,the population cost for build a union militia is 18 and five supplies, when adraft is called it drops to 6 for two turns and then raises to 21 for four turns. You will not see so many militias created in any of the following months, due to population filling cassualties and the 21 pop requisite. IMO this represents the youth joining the army at the beggining of the war.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 9
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 4:44:21 PM   
PyleDriver

Keep in mind guys were playing without fog of war (FOW), and the south is going to loose one it's great advantages...We did it for the viewers benifit, certainly not mine...lol...

Jon

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 10
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 10:30:08 PM   
Joel Billings

Keep in mind that a "draft" in game turns represents not only the federal draft, but also the actions taken to ask the state's to raise troops. IIRC Lincoln asked for 300,000 troops from the states in a call to arms in late 1861 or 1862.

I looked it up and the 300,000 3 year and 300,000 9 month recruits were called for in early July 1862 (they got 421,000 3 year and 88,000 9 month recruits signed up).

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 10/8/2007 6:48:53 PM >

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 11
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 10:39:36 PM   
Duck Doc

That would be a cost of 146 (50+6x2+21x4) political points total by drafting compared to 108 (18x6 not doing so). Is this a big hit politically? Are there any other liabilities for drafting?

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 12
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/7/2007 11:38:40 PM   
PyleDriver

Theres only a cost of 50 PP's per Union draft, which lasts the duration as Rafael stated above.

Jon

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 13
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/8/2007 3:29:25 PM   
PDiFolco

After looking at some online sources it appears that there was just ...100,000 volunteers to answer Lincoln's call in the first months of the war !
It's perfectly ok then, I bow  !

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 14
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 4:56:03 PM   
rjh1971

Time to keep on rolling. I got Jon's reply and this is what happened in Aug '61 Union turn:

My strategy placing all three Army Commanders in the West played very well since two of them got initiative meaning that all Unit Commanders within their regions also got initiative. Luck was definitely on my side because even when McDowell didn't get initiative two UC in his region got initiative by themselves, much harder to achieve.
The screenshot show which leaders got initiative, those little 2 arrows you in McClelland and Lyon mean that they are getting help from Freemont their TC.
Note also that my Political Points are 957.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 15
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:04:56 PM   
rjh1971

Now that I've got initiative it's time to run for Kentucky before the South does even if it means losing 100 PP, it does not matter because I will regain the PP lost taking Kentucky's Counties.
So what does initiative do? you might be question yourselves. It adds the Leader ratings to the units attached to them or under their command, infantry have one movement point (MP) so if attached to a leader with Speed=3 it would have 4 MP, this way you can cross rivers or get into territory with mountains or forests where you need more MPs.

This ratings are Speed, Cary Cost (for Sea Transports, they have normal carry capacity and amphibious carry capacity), Combat Value, Land Attack, Range, Durability and Armor.

The game asks if I want to violate Kentucky's neutrality.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 10/9/2007 5:10:48 PM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 16
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:25:40 PM   
rjh1971

In this screenshot you can see I have driven deep into Kentucky, basically I have overran it, note also the Political Points value in Ripley, each region has it's own value.
If the South had taken Kentucky before the Union they would have created a bottleneck, first the Union would have had to attack crossing the Ohio River that means a penalty in combat and a must to gain initiative so they have enough mp to cross the river and into enemy territory. Besides the South would have placed his armies only in Paducah, Lousville and Lexington thus reducing his frontline, spreading the Confederates army is a goal everyUnion player must seek, the South just don't have enough troops to guard a broad frontline.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 17
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:36:14 PM   
rjh1971

Here you can see how helpful was the calvary in taking Kentucky's fardest regions, Calvary have 3 MPs added the Calvary rating from their leaders Mitchell and Davies they got 6 and 7 MP each, which allowed for a deep attack.

In my experience the South can lost more regions due to overruning than from normal combat. We are not playing with FOW on, but if it is a good South player, and Jon is, will keep his troops well hidden and react to the North attacks. This I will explain in due time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 18
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:39:11 PM   
rjh1971

So what was Jon up to in his turn, well he made good use of his calvary, Calvary is mainly used for scouting missions and raids into enemy territory. Scouting is essential when FOW is on, otherwise you get combat modifiers that can batter your units real bad.

The ss shows the damaged inflicted in my railyards and the regions he raided.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 19
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:43:38 PM   
rjh1971

Notice that my PP have increased after succesfully invading Kentucky, at the end of the turn they were a little bit lower due to having dismished Freemont and appointed Halleck as a TC, optimazing the use of Leaders in this game is a must. Big armies can be defeat by much smaller ones leaded by Commanders with better ratings.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 20
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:47:25 PM   
rjh1971

And what about the East, well I attach all the militia created last turn after declaring a draft and redeployed McDowell to Washington seeking he gains initiative and thus all other Unit Commanders. Notice that there are a few leaders with just one unit attach, those I plan to use for amphbious assault on islands. I will explain why when making the landings.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 21
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/9/2007 5:49:19 PM   
rjh1971

Finally a screenshot from the production screen, with all production going on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 22
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:13:49 PM   
rjh1971

Jon decided to evacuated Clarksville and Gallatine and since my AC in Bowling Green had initiative I was able to overran both counties. Clarksville was harder to crack due to three militia and Jon had built a fort so I requiered to commit more troops than expected to cast them out, if Jon had left some other units and a good leader Clarksville would probably still be in Southern hands. On the other side all three militias created were unharmed and retreated in good order to be back fighting in the next months. Gallantine's militia wasn't so lucky and it was destroyed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 23
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:15:02 PM   
rjh1971

In the previous screenshot you might have noticed a red horse with a yellow border, it means that I'm not currently meeting the garrison requierments and partisans may appear. Partisans may attack supplies and rail, and if they grow sufficiently strong may attack enemy combat units and even take control of the area, this will happen when at least 9 partisans remain in the area after attacking the enemy combat units AND there are no remaining enemy ground units (inf, mil, cav, mtn, art or hvy art) in the area then
- the area changes side
- the partisan value is set to 0
- One Militia of the new owner of the area is created there
The screenshot shows the view you get when you press the "view nation button" There is a hotkey to fullfil the garrison requierments that will bring available units to the region, it's actually very handy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 24
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:16:03 PM   
rjh1971

On the West front McDowell was unable to achieve initiative nonetheless Scott did get it, that allowed the few Unit Commanders to be able to conduct amphibious assaults, in order to do so a unit must be attached to a leader with initiative and either: 1) start the turn linked to a theatre commander with initiative, or 2) start the turn in the same area as an army commander with initiative, also the units must start in a coastal or a region with major river. A leader with amphibious initiative will have waves under their red initiative arrow in the unit pop-up box, red circle in the screenshot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjh1971 -- 10/11/2007 12:22:30 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 25
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:17:25 PM   
rjh1971

A militia/infantry has a cost of 4 amphibious transport points, so it is 16 amphibious points I must have in the landing area (number to the right of the slash), on the other sea regions the units pass by the normal fleet transport points are used (number to the left of the slash) I have decided to invade Florida, for several reasons, one it is not heavily defended (with FOW on you wouldn't now, but chances are still high that it wouldn't specially so early in the game), it has a factory so that' we reduce even more the South's lower industrial capacity, Jon likes building some factories, they pay off later in the game, factories can be demolished (never destroyed and can be repaired) but not moved, and also the PP are 17, iirc I'm actually wrtiting this without the running the game) which is not bad, another factor to bear in mind is that landing units cannot overran, this means that Jon could move troops in the reaction phase, but without FOW I could see there are no troops near enough to assist repel the landing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 26
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:19:27 PM   
rjh1971

This screenshot shows the units have landed ut comabt will be resolved in Jon's Reaction phase.

The reaction phase is trigered when a combat situation exists in a region that could not be overran, that is if Union and Confederate ground units coexist in at least one land area. When this happens the opposing player will be able to move his units under some special rules into the combat zones and after comabt is resolved he will go on to his movement phase. The reaction phase is of great importance specially for the South for the Unionists will get more than a surprised by troops that had not been localized. This of course with FOW on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 27
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/10/2007 5:22:37 PM   
rjh1971

In the screenshot below you can see different symbols used in the uniots pop-ups:
Binoculars – Unit has been spotted either via enemy cavalry scouting or by its firing in combat
Pick & Shovel – Denotes that leader has constructed a fort or depot this turn.
Breastworks (x) – One level of entrenchment per symbol showing (1 or 2).

You may have asked how do units and leaders interact. Units to be able to attack must be attached to leaders. A leader may attach a maximun of units determined by his command rating, therefore Lovell may attach up to 9 units under his leadership and presently has 5. You do not produce militias, the game does it for you,

"Confederate Militia Unit Creation
Confederate militia units are automatically created and placed on the map at the end of the Confederate production phase. Confederate militia units are created if an area has six or more population points and five supply units in movement range. Five supply and six population points will be consumed and a militia unit will be placed in the area. The population cost for recruiting militia will increase if the Confederate player’s political points fall below 900 (1 added for each 100 points below 1000). If supplies are not available in an area then a militia unit will be created using no supplies and double the population cost.

Union Militia Unit Creation
Union militia units are created in a manner similar to the Confederates except the population cost may vary. The normal population cost for Union militia is 18. If the Union player declares a draft then the population cost will be six for two turns and increase to 21 for four turns. Rules are the same for supply cost. The population cost for recruiting militia will increase if the Union player’s political points fall below 950 (1 added for each 50 points below 1000)."

This means militia will be created in different regions all over the map. To avoid moving them all to the regions where leaders are and attaching them afterwards a hotkey were implemented to do this:
"Shift-f – Fills up unit with the leader’s type of units (inf/mil, cav/mounted, artillery, naval) and some artillery. If CSC’s are in use and available will also add leaders. Admin and Engineer leaders may not use this function.

Ctrl-f - Fills up unit with the leader’s type of units (inf/mil, cav/mounted, artillery, naval) only. If CSC’s are in use and available will also add leaders. Admin and Engineer leaders may not use this function"
This hotkeys are most useful and make for a quick OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 28
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/12/2007 7:42:23 PM   
PyleDriver

Heres a view of CSA positions in the west. Because of the Unions early invasion of Kentucky, I withdrew my forces So. of the Cumberland River for better defence. I built a fort in Nashville, and positoned Johnston's Army (McClullouch and Early) at Fort Donelson I can react to the east or west. I've kept Hardee and Polk also in reserve in Memphis, to counter the threat of Lyons army. You can see I've got Hardee training militia with his high Infantry Training Rating (itr). Last month he was able to train 4 of the 6 militia to regular infantry.

Training ratings range from 1-4, four being the best...I am hoping winter sets in soon, to allow me time to train, build defences and activate better leaders. Leader Initiaitive drops greatly in the winter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 10/13/2007 2:50:15 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 29
RE: AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) - 10/12/2007 8:08:24 PM   
PyleDriver

In the East it has been calm. I have Beauregard's army (Jackson, Longstreet, and Ewell) in reserve, poised to react to any attack. Remember unspotted units have a +3 on attack and -1 defence, which impacks battles greatly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> AAR RJH (Union) vs Jon Pyle (South) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI