Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Bio: William W. Loring

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bio: William W. Loring Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/10/2007 9:44:03 PM   
Battleline

Maj. Gen. William W. Loring (b. 1818, d. 1886) From fighting Seminole Indians as a youngster to serving in the army of the Egyptian Khedive, William Wing Loring enjoyed a long military career. Loring was never afraid to question orders which he felt would put his troops in too much danger. “Old Blizzards,” as he was nicknamed (for his encouragement of “Give them blizzards, boys!”), was born in Wilmington, North Carolina, Dec. 4, 1818. As a youth, his family moved to Florida, where he fought as a second lieutenant in the Second Seminole War. He studied law and earned election to the Florida legislature. In 1846, he entered military service as a captain in the new regiment of Mounted Riflemen. During the Mexican War, Loring earned brevets to major and lieutenant colonel during the war, but also lost an arm at the Battle of Chapultepec. He was able to remain in service and received a promotion to lieutenant colonel of the regiment in March of 1848. He campaigned in Texas, commanded the Department of Oregon in 1849, and went back to Texas in 1851. Dec. 30, 1856, becoming the army’s youngest line colonel. He still held that distinction May 13, 1861, when he resigned his commission. Casting his lot with the Confederacy, Loring was appointed brigadier general May 20, 1861, commanding the Army of the Northwest. His first action was in the Cheat Mountain Campaign under Gen. Robert E. Lee. During the Romney Expedition in the winter of 1861-62, Loring and Stonewall Jackson argued over the conduct of operations. Loring felt his men were given outpost duty while being stationed in Romney while Jackson kept his command in Winchester. Loring wrote to the War Department, feeling this post was exposed. The War Department ordered Jackson to recall Loring’s men to Winchester. Jackson nearly quit the army over the issue and requested to be reassigned to Virginia Military Institute as a professor. When others, including Gen. Joseph Johnston and Virginia Gov. John Letcher, intervened, Jackson agreed to stay in the army. A deal was reached where Jackson continued in command and Loring was transferred to Southwestern Virginia. Loring was promoted to major general Feb. 16, 1862, and given command of the Army of Southwestern Virginia. In December, he was sent west to serve in the Army of Mississippi, commanding a division. His troops were cut off from Gen. Pemberton’s main body, partially because he disagreed with Pemberton about tactics, at the Battle of Baker’s Creek. That allowed Loring’s division to escape being contained in Vicksburg and captured. After Baker’s Creek, Loring commanded a division under Generals Joseph Johnston and Leonidas Polk. When Polk was killed, Loring ascended to command the Army of Mississippi, which by that time was a corps in the Army of Tennessee. He served under Generals Joseph Johnston and John B. Hood. He was the senior major general in Johnston’s command when he surrendered in April 1865. After the war, Loring continued his military career, going to Egypt in 1869. He reached the rank of brigadier general in the Khedive’s army and commanded a division with distinction. Twice, he was decorated. Loring returned to the United States in 1879. In 1884, he wrote the book, “A Confederate Soldier in Egypt.” Loring died in New York City of a heart attack Dec. 30, 1886. He is buried in St. Augustine, Florida.

< Message edited by Battleline -- 8/12/2007 3:30:35 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/10/2007 11:33:28 PM   
Gil R.

Copied, thanks.

How can you possibly have only 175 posts after all these bios? I guess you're very economical.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/11/2007 12:19:27 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
It's because I throw three or four into one post!
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/11/2007 1:14:46 AM   
Gil R.

Sure, but still, it's impressive. You have the highest bios:posts ratio I've seen.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 4
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/11/2007 8:39:08 PM   
General Quarters

Very interesting on Loring. He must have been a pretty capable commander if he was kept in responsible commands, even after fights with superior officers. Do we have any way to represent quarrelsome or uncooperative generals? Ideally, they would cause command problems in DB and/or would be less likely to come to the support of an army in a neighboring area.

There is a sentence fragment a little below half way down in Loring: "When others ..."

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 8/12/2007 3:31:33 AM   
Battleline

You are correct!
Sometimes I try to launch into multiple thoughts at once and forget to finish one here or there.
Battleline

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 6
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/15/2007 6:06:21 AM   
Gil R.

Good bio. No changes of any significance made.

Maj. Gen. William Wing Loring (b. 1818, d. 1886). From fighting Seminole Indians as a youngster to serving in the army of the Egyptian Khedive, Loring enjoyed a long military career. He was never afraid to question orders which he felt would put his troops in too much danger. “Old Blizzards,” as he was nicknamed (for his encouragement of “Give them blizzards, boys!”), was born in Wilmington, North Carolina, on December 4, 1818. While he was a youth, his family moved to Florida, where he rose to 2nd lieutenant fighting in the Second Seminole War of 1835-1842. Loring next studied law and earned election to the Florida legislature. In 1846, he entered military service as a captain in the new regiment of mounted riflemen. During the Mexican War, Loring earned brevets to major and lieutenant colonel during the war, but also lost an arm at the Battle of Chapultepec. He was able to remain in service and received a promotion to lieutenant colonel of his regiment in March 1848. Loring subsequently campaigned in Texas, commanded the Department of Oregon in 1849, and returned to Texas in 1851. On December 30, 1856, he became the U.S. Army’s youngest line colonel – a distinction he still held on May 13, 1861, when he resigned his commission to cast his lot with the Confederacy. Loring was appointed a brigadier general on May 20, 1861, commanding the Army of the Northwest in western Virginia. His first action was in the Cheat Mountain Campaign under Gen. Robert E. Lee in mid-September. During the Romney Expedition that winter, Loring and Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson argued over the conduct of operations: Loring felt his men were given outpost duty by being stationed in Romney while Jackson kept his command in Winchester, Virginia, leading Loring to write to the War Department to express concern that this post was exposed. As a result, the War Department ordered Jackson to recall Loring’s men to Winchester. Jackson nearly quit the army over the issue and requested reassignment back to Virginia Military Institute as a professor. When others, including Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Virginia Gov. John Letcher, intervened, Jackson agreed to stay in the army, and while Loring would be transferred. Loring was promoted to major general on February 16, 1862, and, after briefly serving at Suffolk, on May 8 given command of the Department of Southwestern Virginia. That November, he was sent west to serve in the Army of Mississippi under Gen. John C. Pemberton, commanding a division. His troops were cut off from the army’s main body, partially because he disagreed with Pemberton about tactics, at the Battle of Baker’s Creek, the decisive Union victory that cleared the way for Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to besiege Vicksburg. This allowed Loring’s division to escape the fate of being contained in Vicksburg and eventually captured in July 1863 when the stronghold fell. After Baker’s Creek, Loring commanded his division under Gens. Joseph E. Johnston and Leonidas Polk. When Polk was killed, Loring ascended to command his Army of Mississippi, which by that time was a corps in the Army of Tennessee, and served under Johnston and later Gen. John B. Hood as they attempted to thwart Gen. William T. Sherman’s march through Georgia and the Carolinas. Loring was the senior major general in Johnston’s command when he surrendered at Durham Station, North Carolina, in April 1865. After the war, Loring continued his military career, heading to Egypt in 1869 and reaching the rank of brigadier general in the army of the Khedive, for whom he commanded a division with distinction. Loring returned to the United States in 1879, and five years later wrote of his experiences abroad in a book entitled, “A Confederate Soldier in Egypt.” Loring died in New York City of a heart attack on December 30, 1886. He is buried in St. Augustine, Florida. (Bio by Bill Battle)

Leadership: 4
Tactical: 5
Initiative: 4
Command: 4
Cavalry:

Start date: 9

Teaches: Random, Random

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 7
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/15/2007 6:29:08 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
I'll look at the other posts in the next couple of days. Just got home from a vintage base ball festival. Our St. Louis Perfectos defeated both the Rock Springs Ground Squirrels of Decatur, Ill., and the St. Louis Unions of Florissant.
We'll have to get you out to a game next spring.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/15/2007 7:18:08 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Battleline

Gil,
I'll look at the other posts in the next couple of days. Just got home from a vintage base ball festival. Our St. Louis Perfectos defeated both the Rock Springs Ground Squirrels of Decatur, Ill., and the St. Louis Unions of Florissant.
We'll have to get you out to a game next spring.
Thanks,
Battleline

Oh, I didn't realize you guys are still playing -- I would have gone already! Yes, definitely, this is something I want to see.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 9
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/15/2007 9:33:31 AM   
wzh55

What I want to know is how Mr. Battleline and Mr. jkbluesman can have the time to write soo many bios and then Bill Battleline says he still has the time to go to a baseball game! If we seen them in person, they probably would both have a big "S" on their chest. I can come up with one pretty fast but then Mr. Gil has to edit and re-edit and then he asks me to edit again!!! Oh, I'm so tired, so tired........

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/15/2007 11:08:59 AM   
jkBluesman

Just a sidenote over which I stumpled when doing Floyd. Loring had outranked Lee in the old army as he was made colonel before him. Thus when Lee arrived in western Virginia he felled unsure about his status. Only when he was made a full general of the Confederacy did he outrank Loring.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/17/2007 12:55:05 AM   
Battleline

Bill,
I actually play for a vintage base ball team. It's a big thing in the Midwest, more toward Ohio, and in the Northeast. We play by the rules of the game generally either 1858 or 1860 rules. We did host a game under the Arch when the Society for American Baseball Research was in town this summer where the rules changed to a later era every three innings. The real interesting thing is that when the game was played at that time, the fielders did not use gloves.
Battleline

(in reply to wzh55)
Post #: 12
RE: CSA Bio: William W. Loring - 10/17/2007 4:54:20 AM   
wzh55

So you do have a big "S" on your chest. Sounds like great fun except for the "no gloves" thing. I have had to retire early due to an illness and so I sit here most of the time, feeling like mush. So all my atheletic days are over. I get tired watching other people exert themselves. If you have any helpful hints or suggestion on Bios and the like, please pass them on. Thanks. (anybody with a name like Bill is okay in my book).

Bill Hawthorne

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Bio: William W. Loring Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI