Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Next Noob Question!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Next Noob Question! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 6:22:24 AM   
BaseballNoob

I see that during a game your lineup card can display one of 4 sets of data. What is the data that is shown when you select Splits? I can't seem to find out what this means. I know that the two figures are the players VsL and VsR numbers from the Hitting and Fielding Stats, but I just don't know what they represent. Here is an example of one of my players:

His current season average is .267. His VsL is .000 and his VsR is .270. His current up to bat data says that vs. RHP: .289. Are these numbers related in any way?
Post #: 1
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 7:18:11 AM   
evilmonkeycmand

vsL = Vs. Left-Handed Pitchers
vsR = Vs. Right-Handed Pitchers
However, splits do not get updated throughout the game

(in reply to BaseballNoob)
Post #: 2
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 7:38:18 AM   
BaseballNoob

So, in the example I gave, that means that at the start of the game the player's batting average vs. LHP was .000 and vs. RHP was .270? And those will change at the end of the game to reflect his new data?

On the same lineup card you also have the option to show vs. Pitcher, which according to the rollover help is the player's career against the current pitcher. But what data does it show? I can't figure out what those two numbers in the last two columns represent. I'll see something like 0 8 and think that it means that the player is 0 for 8 against that pitcher, but the fact is that that player may be facing that pitcher for the first time.

A lot of this stuff doesn't get explained in the manual. I wish there was a game guide somewhere to decode all the cryptic data.

(in reply to evilmonkeycmand)
Post #: 3
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 9:03:18 PM   
BaseballNoob

So does anyone know what the 'vs. Pitcher' display is supposed to show on the lineup card during a game?

Post #: 4
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:04:11 PM   
Nukester

I dont play out my games much, but I would guess that it means the batting average against that particular pitcher. So if a player has never faced that pitcher, it would continue to show as .000 then after the game, if they were to face off again, it would show a different average (if the batter ever got a hit off of the pitcher. If not it would still show a .000)

< Message edited by Nukester -- 10/17/2007 10:07:56 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:07:41 PM   
BaseballNoob

Ok. I'm thinking that there is a bug in the 1.70c version of that particular display. 

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 6
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:13:31 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Noob,

I know this may seem weird, but I once upgraded an association in the middle of the season. Certain stats, such as the "vs. Pitcher" info was WAY off. After that season ended and the new one began, everything lined up correctly. Not being able to look at a previous year's stats in THAT much detail, I can't say that it was 100% accurate, but it seemed pretty well aligned to me.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Post #: 7
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:26:05 PM   
Nukester

Yeah I just loaded up a different association, and started up a game. The league is only 24 games into the first season, and my top 2 guys in the lineup show vs. pitcher as ".333 0 24" and ".397 0 18". Again you are right...I dont see any corrolation between those numbers and this guys stats at all. At a glance it would seem it should be the batting avg, HR's, and RBI's vs that pitcher, but I know my guys cant have 24 RBI's against this guy already, and certainly cant even have 24 AB's against the guy yet.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 8
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:28:23 PM   
BaseballNoob

This is a brand new association in its first season. In theory, when you choose to see 'vs. Pitcher' on your lineup card during the game, what are the three columns supposed to show? The 'Season' option shows AVG, HR, RBI. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the 'vs. Pitcher' option is supposed to show the same data, i.e. AVG, HR, RBI, but only against the current pitcher. It's not doing this. Or maybe I don't know what those 3 columns are supposed to be showing. Can anyone tell me what they are supposed to be?

Just for the record, I'm a stats whore. That's why I really want to understand what I'm seeing in this game, even though the game itself is a blast.

< Message edited by BaseballNoob -- 10/17/2007 10:31:51 PM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 9
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:36:36 PM   
Nukester

You right. In a tradition baseball sense, it would stand for batting avg, HR's, and RBI's, and without it specifying differently somewhere, that is what it should be showing. However, they are not correct. This league Im looking at was probably created before version 1.70c, and may have even been created before 1.70a

< Message edited by Nukester -- 10/17/2007 10:40:59 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:38:27 PM   
BaseballNoob

Great! But seeing that the stats were not correct, I'm not surprised I couldn't figure out what the columns were for. The developer will probably see this thread, right? No need to actually point the bug out to him?

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 11
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:43:28 PM   
Nukester

I fired up my historical league, in which I am playing out my playoff games. I started the 2nd game of the world series, where the batters and pitchers should not have faced each other all season (unless one was traded from the AL to the NL or vice versa), and all batters for both teams show a ".000 0 0" vs pitcher, which would be correct since they havent faced each other before. Once I get to the next season Ill keep my eye on it to see if the offseason straightens everything out (Im playing the 1903 WS right now...Highlanders vs Phillies)

< Message edited by Nukester -- 10/17/2007 10:48:23 PM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 12
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 10:50:40 PM   
BaseballNoob

Nukester,

What version of the software are you using?

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 13
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/17/2007 11:05:15 PM   
Nukester

Im currently running 1.70c

The first league I mentioned was probably created before 1.70c. The historical league I mentioned was created a couple of days ago in version 1.70c

Post #: 14
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 4:09:05 AM   
KG Erwin

Some of the displayed stats do NOT work properly until a complete season has been played. So, a certain batter's career stats vs a certain pitcher (a valuable stat? IMO, no. It's something for broadcasters to talk about), won't be shown until the next season.

Baseball Noob, I appreciate your stats geek status, BUT, when one is managing a game, which ones really matter? Fot batters, it's relatively less important, but for pitchers, having these numbers (pitch counts/speed) readily accessible is vital.

Post #: 15
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 4:30:10 AM   
BaseballNoob

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Some of the displayed stats do NOT work properly until a complete season has been played. So, a certain batter's career stats vs a certain pitcher (a valuable stat? IMO, no. It's something for broadcasters to talk about), won't be shown until the next season.

Ok. I can deal with that. ;)

quote:

Baseball Noob, I appreciate your stats geek status, BUT, when one is managing a game, which ones really matter? Fot batters, it's relatively less important, but for pitchers, having these numbers (pitch counts/speed) readily accessible is vital.

I haven't even reached the point where I manage a game yet. I'm still a bit intimidated by the depth of the program. What is the pitch counts/speed thing you are talking about? Maybe it's time find some Management 101 stuff. Is there any on this forum? My team is now 6-29. I don't think that's very good.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 5:36:28 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: BaseballNoob

I haven't even reached the point where I manage a game yet. I'm still a bit intimidated by the depth of the program. What is the pitch counts/speed thing you are talking about? Maybe it's time find some Management 101 stuff. Is there any on this forum? My team is now 6-29. I don't think that's very good.

Time to get into the dugout. Try it a few times. You have a lot of onfield options available to you, and the manual does explain what they are.

Personally, though, I don't use the various defensive options very much. Just try it, and experiment with it. Most Puresimmers don't play this way, but to me, it's the only way to go. To use a wargame analogy, each game becomes a separate battle in the campaign, which a 154 or 162 game baseball season becomes.

THIS is where managing truly comes into play. Your bench players become important, as its rare that any player can be on the field for each game of an entire season.

Managing your pitching staff becomes more important, too, as you might want to insert a spot starter once in awhile, thus saving your ace for a vital upcoming game against a close-rivaling team.

Post #: 17
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 5:59:35 AM   
BaseballNoob

I'm not even sure if it will make a difference. I think my players might suck. They can't get a hit to save their lives and my pitchers might as well throw the ball over the fence for home runs. I've been beaten as badly as 23-0. If I could even get out of last place it would be a comeback story!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 7:44:43 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: BaseballNoob

I'm not even sure if it will make a difference. I think my players might suck. They can't get a hit to save their lives and my pitchers might as well throw the ball over the fence for home runs. I've been beaten as badly as 23-0. If I could even get out of last place it would be a comeback story!

I guess this could be you then, Noob:

"I'm wet nurse to a last-place,
dead-to-the-neck-up ball club..."

That's lines from the character of "Pop" Fisher, from the movie "The Natural", just before Roy Hobbs shows up.

Are you playing with fictional players, Noob? Why not play with real players?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/18/2007 7:48:11 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/18/2007 3:54:53 PM   
BaseballNoob

I'm playing with real players. My association is kind of a hodge podge of eras. I picked a number of widely separated years and imported them for the Free Agent draft. So I have players from the 1890s on the same team with players from 2007. Unfortunately, it just seems that my team sucks. I'm really not sure how we can be so bad. Most other teams' pitchers are better hitters than my best hitters. I should be fired.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/19/2007 3:07:17 AM   
BaseballNoob

I've decided to go ahead and try a little managing of games, just to see if I can win a few. However, a lot of the managing options are greyed out, and the manual doesn't explain what they are or when you can use them. For example, what is a Pitch Out, or a Pitch Around? Why can't I select it in the box that comes up when you select More, and if I hit the hot key for the option it just changes from No Pitch Around to Pitch Around and vice versa. I only seem to be able to change my Lineup, Intentionally Walk, and Bunt. The manual gives no data, that I can find, on managing a game. 

Post #: 21
RE: Next Noob Question! - 10/19/2007 3:21:39 AM   
BaseballNoob

I'm getting very frustrated with the lack of documentation regarding in game options so I've started a new thread.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Next Noob Question! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI