Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian boats and rafts?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Russian boats and rafts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 3:04:53 AM   
timshin42

Help! Into 3rd Scenario 0f Linked Campaign of "ON TO BERLIN", w. 2 major victories . PROBLEM: Can't remember and can't find in manual ----- How do you move rafts and boats to the riverline to load? I know it's simple! Will somebody please refresh my memory!!!!

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"
Post #: 1
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 3:27:19 AM   
1925frank

I think you just put a platoon and a raft or boat in the same hex (on land) and load, and, from that point forward, the platoon will carry the raft or boat to the water over land, and, once in the water, it will move with the units in the boat or raft over the water.  Look in the manual under "portable" or "port" something.

(in reply to timshin42)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 3:55:47 AM   
timshin42

That didn't work! Any other suggestions? Anyone?

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"

(in reply to timshin42)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 4:17:26 AM   
junk2drive

It has to be shallow water, indicated by light blue water hex. For rafts, you may have to carry the raft for a while on land to get to shallow water. For boats in the water, you move them and the troops to a shallow water hex first.

BTW, the manual in PDF can be accessed from the windows start menu or opening your JTCS folder.

edit: rereading your post, if the boats are in deep water and won't move empty, I think you are SOL.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 10/22/2007 4:22:37 AM >

(in reply to timshin42)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 5:02:34 AM   
1925frank

You've got to have enough action points.  The platoons have to be smaller than the number of rafts or boats, just like with trucks or halftracks. Isn't that correct?

< Message edited by 1925frank -- 10/22/2007 3:38:40 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/22/2007 7:49:19 AM   
Gunner98

If I recall, this is a one or two hex river crossing and the scenario has standard EF2 rafts.  You probably start on land and will need to load them first (same as loading a truck) and walk them to the river edge.  Its slow, and looks quite odd but you should only be a couple of hexes away.  The unfortunat part about these rafts is you will have to leave them on the far side once you unload because they cannot move independantly.

Would be great if you could give me some feedback on the games, I have been considering updating them to JTCS standard.  This one for instance should have some of the new crewed boats and raft units I think.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/23/2007 12:19:00 AM   
timshin42

First, thanks to each of you for your suggestions.

Found:

JTCS Game Manual, p.122, (CS FAQ)

How can I move boats or rafts to the water?

A. First get the unit into the same hex as the boat/raft. Then select both units and use the load/unload button to have them "carry" the boat. The raft/boat must have SP at least as great as the SP of the unit. Move the unit toward, and into, the water.

GUNNER98, you got the right scenario! LC On to Berlin, 3rd Scenario: situation -- (many) boats/rafts two to 4 hexes from the river edge; (many) infantry units in or next to the ame hexes. Objective -- conduct an infantry river crossing using the boats and rafts.

Sounds pretty simple, right? All conditions met, but the loaded boats won't move!!!!!!

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/23/2007 12:33:24 AM   
1925frank

If you have the movement range highlight on, it will show you cannot move, but you can move -- usually just one hex per turn.  Disregard the range highlights and right click on an adjacent hex.  I take it from your post, however, you've already tried right clicking on an adjacent hex. 

There's a 1940 Rommel crosses the Meuse at Dinant scenario where you have to do the same thing with the Germans.  You may want to check to see if the portage works properly there.  If they work properly there, then the problem lies in the particular scenario you are currently playing.

(in reply to timshin42)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/23/2007 1:23:25 AM   
timshin42

Thank you 1925FRANK!

Unlike normal units, dragging doesn't work. The right click does the trick. Had to be something simple!

Much obliged.

Harry

timshin42
"Freedom isn't free"

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian boats and rafts? - 10/23/2007 1:35:59 AM   
1925frank

I could feel your pain (and I wanted it to stop).

You're welcome. 

(in reply to timshin42)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Russian boats and rafts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI