Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 8:10:23 PM   
LarryP

I am dragging my heels here on making a positive purchase decision. I need some sway guys!

One question in the meantime though: How do the Actioncards work? (I saw them in a screenshot).
Post #: 1
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 8:12:08 PM   
jbunnelle

Oooh, I hope it's like Totaler Krieg. Yes, please, more info.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 8:31:06 PM   
seille

Ok i´ll tell you !

Action cards are events the player can run in his turn by clicking at.
Normally when you press the card button you run a event coded by the scenario designer
like buying predefined troops.
You could also destroy a location by such a card.

Europe 1939 for example uses action cards for setting "Arrival hexes" (for fresh troops)
and many different cards for buying different predefined units.

Other cards have a high impact like the german "Western offensive"-Card. That card reduces the readiness
of the western player for this turn by 50% and switches ownership of Oslo and Kopenhagen to Germany.

All these cards (and their costs) must be defined in the editor when making the scenario.
The designer can choose when they appear, for which side, what they do and what they cost.

Overall a great feature !

Hope this was a help.

(in reply to jbunnelle)
Post #: 3
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 8:32:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Well, the system is very flexible so to some extent things can vary by scenario depending on how the designer set it up. Action Cards are part of the system. By default, they are used to represent research but they can represent events, reinforcements, etc. They are generally "bought" with political points (PPs) which are an expensive resource you can produce in your cities and towns.

If you look at the briefing for Europe 1939 I just posted in another thread, that should give you some idea of how they are used there as well (also read the AARs).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jbunnelle)
Post #: 4
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 8:59:14 PM   
ravinhood

Does the AI use these action cards?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 9:04:23 PM   
seille

No, the AI can´t handle action cards. That´s why these scenario´s (with actioncards) are humanonly.

< Message edited by seille -- 10/26/2007 9:21:21 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/26/2007 9:15:11 PM   
Barthheart

Instead of action cards the AI can have events pre-programmed to do the same sort of things.

Great game by the way Vic.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 7
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 1:38:26 AM   
Mightfox

Could a scenario have one side with action cards(meant as human) and one side without, but with events?(AI)

Also, are scenarios set with cards actually unplayable solo, or do they simply not work very well? Couldn't the AI do well without using any cards?

"Alright, I accept. I will show you how a Prussian officer can fight." "And I will show you...where the Iron Crosses grow." - Cross of Iron (1977)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 2:08:17 AM   
freeboy

just think of action cards as, from a designeer standpoint a user interfaced event "card" or from a user standpoint, ala Toaw a "option" theater opti9on etc.. and yes, action cards are side specific.. so, the sides in a multiside have different cards, or no cards at the designers prefference

(in reply to Mightfox)
Post #: 9
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 2:20:26 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I am dragging my heels here on making a positive purchase decision. I need some sway guys!

Hey LarryP! After raving about Guns Of August and taking personal responsibility for your purchase yet to this day you have yet to have it work, albeit playable, i am leery to subject you to more grief. AT does seem to be more Window's friendly and coming from a programmer that offered his first release as freeware well, that shows cajones. It's not a historical wargame, nor does it stand well against the Decisive Battles series, but it does offer alot of "what-if" random gameplay that allows you to wage war as you see fit.
I don't see myself waking up one morning wanting to play the Ardennes scenario, but on the other hand once i start a random game i can see where the fun factor is...what should i research, build etc...

P.S. The AI does seem very decent so far.

< Message edited by TheHellPatrol -- 10/27/2007 2:27:10 AM >

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 10
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 2:31:46 AM   
tweber

quote:

Could a scenario have one side with action cards(meant as human) and one side without, but with events?(AI)

The answer is yes and no. The beauty of action cards is that they give a player choices. As a scenario designer, you can 'check' (editor term) to see if a side is played by the AI. If it is, you can then do the types of things that and action card would do. This could be even randomized so it is not completely deterministic. However, the scenario designer now no longer needs action cards.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 11
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 2:36:29 AM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

once i start a random game i can see where the fun factor is...what should i research, build etc...

It's great that the historical battles seem (per AAR's) to go pretty well but the random battles seem to be the hidden gem of this game. They are genius!

Post #: 12
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 4:39:57 AM   
Kipper

I scoffed at the idea of random fantasy battles and only tried one for the laugh. Am hooked! They are a game within a game!

And compared to so many other games in the past, I already have had my money's worth out of this piece of gaming heaven.

< Message edited by Kipper -- 10/27/2007 4:43:02 AM >

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 13
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 5:00:34 AM   
LarryP

quote:

Hey LarryP! After raving about Guns Of August and taking personal responsibility for your purchase yet to this day you have yet to have it work, albeit playable, i am leery to subject you to more grief. AT does seem to be more Window's friendly and coming from a programmer that offered his first release as freeware well, that shows cajones. It's not a historical wargame, nor does it stand well against the Decisive Battles series, but it does offer alot of "what-if" random gameplay that allows you to wage war as you see fit.
I don't see myself waking up one morning wanting to play the Ardennes scenario, but on the other hand once i start a random game i can see where the fun factor is...what should i research, build etc...

I never even thought of you being liable for any advice you have given that caused a less than perfect purchase. Long sentence there. You have always given excellent outlook on all the games I have brought to you! Everyone is different in their likes and dislikes with games. Very much so. We were all taken by GoA at first. Then we played it. That's supposed to be funny but I will get in trouble for sure. Oh well, rag on someone that cares.

Anyway, I am passing on this title and saving my credit card for the next one, maybe. Not my type of game.

Thanks for the post Elliott!

Post #: 14
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 5:25:14 AM   
Kipper

I had an excellent game with the North Africa 41 scenario today - ebbed and flowed across the continent in a very satisfying fashion, indeed in terms of flow and maneuver I found it more authentic than TOAW, which bogs down into trench warfare so easily. The Axis panzer divisions lapped at my flanks in a very satisfying way and moved deep and well, dislocating me backwards.

Note that the historical operational scenarios do not have production, research etc. etc. Reinforcements arrive as per historical schedule.

The engine is hugely flexible, so much so it takes a bit to get your head around how flxxible it can be: you can have a scenario with two(or more) forces in an operational campaign within a campaign timeframe; or 2(or more) "regimes" going at it over a long period, complete with production, research, national morale, strategic decision points (the "cards") etc etc.

So far I have been playing the operational stuff (being a grognard of long standing ;-)) and am delighted with that part of the game alone.

< Message edited by Kipper -- 10/27/2007 5:31:49 AM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 15
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 5:30:59 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kipper

I had an excellent game with the North Africa 41 scenario today - ebbed and flowed across the continent in a very satisfying fashion, indeed in terms of flow and maneuver I found it more authentic than TOAW, which bogs down into trench warfare so easily. The Axis panzer divisions lapped at my flanks in a very satisfying way and moved deep and well, dislocating me backwards.

Note that the historical operational scenarios do not have production, research etc. etc. Reinforcements arrive as per historical schedule. The engine is hugely flexible, so much so it takes a bit to get your head around how felxible it can be!

How long approximately does a scenario last like North Africa 41?

Is it a let down that historical operational scenarios don't have production and research?

(in reply to Kipper)
Post #: 16
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/27/2007 5:32:17 AM   
Kipper

I can't see how a theatre commander in North Africa at the operational level would be interested in production and research, so I was delighted to see that it could be excluded from scenarios depending of course on the way they were created.

As to how long, there's a good few hours gameplay in a scenario. I haven't finished it yet!

< Message edited by Kipper -- 10/27/2007 5:33:39 AM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 17
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/28/2007 10:05:24 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

I don't see myself waking up one morning wanting to play the Ardennes scenario

Okay, i was wrong about that one. I started the '41 North Africa scenario late last night and that's the first thing i thought of when i got up this morning. The "timed replacement" scenarios have a whole different feel to them...very fluid with lot's of maneuvering.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Post #: 18
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/28/2007 11:58:28 PM   
LarryP

quote:

Anyway, I am passing on this title and saving my credit card for the next one, maybe. Not my type of game.

Well... ummmm... it's like this... I changed my mind and bought it. Will get back to you all later.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 19
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/28/2007 11:59:31 PM   
Awac835

quote:

quote:

Well... ummmm... it's like this... I changed my mind and bought it. Will get back to you all later.

LOL... well tbh i cant see how you can regret it, it is great.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 20
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 12:09:03 AM   
SMK-at-work

Actino cards for capturing Denmark and Norway??  Isnt' that a bit...um....seriously abstracted?  Can the system not handle including them in an actual map of Europe?

I'm looking for somethign to replace CEAW & SC@ WAW - both of which I find sadly disappointing after much hoop-la.

This game looks like it's much better on the surface - does anyone care to lsit the pro's and cons for me?

Ta

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 21
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 12:31:38 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

quote:

Lol you cop out you. haha You asked for my advice and then you took your own. haha Don't send me anyore PM's thanks. ;)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 22
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 12:51:10 AM   
cdbeck

Hey RH, I distinctly remember you saying that you were going to buy AT to support a developer who had the bawlz to release his first game for free?  Changed your tune?

The game is super excellent. I have played for like 5 min and I still recognize how awesome it will be. Random maps are the best thing known to man. I think the game gives TOAW a run for its money.

I also really don't plan on playing many of the WWII scenarios (maybe a few). Why did I buy it then? Random, Empire style gaming and future scenario potential. The fantasy and Great war scenarios already up show the level this can be taken to.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 23
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 12:59:49 AM   
ravinhood

I never said I wasn't going to buy it. I said I was waiting for kissmas. No harm in that afterall they have kissmas specials and the developer has already been paid. ;) I said I would support it upon release, I just didn't say when or set a date. You attempt to read things into things what were not said or intended. ;) haha

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 10/29/2007 1:02:06 AM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 24
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 1:10:48 AM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

The game is super excellent. I have played for like 5 min and I still recognize how awesome it will be. Random maps are the best thing known to man.

SoM

I only planned to play a quick random scenario, after playing the tutorial, just to get to grips with the game before playing the historical stuff. Now I can't stop.. they are so bloody good!

I no longer care a jot that the 1941 Pacific scenario doesn't have an AI. I think I could happily play random scenario's for the next 20 years and IF then I started getting a bit sick of them I could start playing the historical scenario's, the fictional ones, the user made ones, or even design my own - I was playing with the editor a bit today and it looks pretty good for even an idiot like me to use in some basic fashion just by stabbing at buttons.

I seriously cannot remember having an entire weekend where I am so totally obsessed by a game that I haven't even been out, since probably the 1980's!

I'm officially a fanboy.. and it feels good! I can't believe this game was only £20. The only problem is I don't want to go to work tomorrow and have 10 hours that I can't play it!

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 25
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 1:56:56 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Lol you cop out you. haha You asked for my advice and then you took your own. haha Don't send me anyore PM's thanks. ;)

Well your advice said you would probably buy it, just not here. After reading more of these posts, and TheHellPatrol liking it more, I figured why not? It's a versatile game to say the least!

I got advice by PM'ing several friends here. I hope in the future they would feel free to do the same with me. I would consider it a compliment, however you're just mad because I didn't send you the $40.

Now I got to go and write me a pile of PM's to RavinHood...

< Message edited by LarryP -- 10/29/2007 5:00:34 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 26
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 2:02:11 AM   
freeboy

Larry, I will be very surprised if this does not rate very higgh on your games list, if you play  pbem!( I know you do hint hint)

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 27
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 2:53:37 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I was the same way-sitting on the fence. Didn't sound like the game for me but after the gang in here brought it more to light, I have now dl it and moving thru the game. The basics of the editor seem to be easier than I thought. Ive already added "Wake" island to the world at war(Didn't look right with no wake).

I like the transfer from HQ,s.
quote:

quote:

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 28
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 4:53:19 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Larry, I will be very surprised if this does not rate very higgh on your games list, if you play pbem!( I know you do hint hint)

Actually I have been playing PBEM with 06-Maestro in TOAW3 (Crusader-41). It has been my first venture playing PBEM and we are on our 3rd game I believe. It is a lot of fun, but I am up and down with TOAW3. Anthony has been an EXCELLENT tutor and opponent giving me tons of tips and patience.

So, PBEM is in the future, I'm sure of it! Let me get a handle on this game and then...

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? - 10/29/2007 5:15:47 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I was the same way-sitting on the fence. Didn't sound like the game for me but after the gang in here brought it more to light, I have now dl it and moving thru the game. The basics of the editor seem to be easier than I thought. Ive already added "Wake" island to the world at war(Didn't look right with no wake).

I like the transfer from HQ,s.

I have not had time to work in the Editor yet. However, this game I am definately going to play with it. The wide selection of scenario types are awesome!

I have had some trouble getting some transfers to work right. The tutorial transfer from the HQ won't work like it describes on page 91. I can't get them to transfer no matter what I try. I went past the tutorial and am playing the Tolkinesque scenario and it is so different from the other war ones! Amazing.

No regrets here.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Contemplating Purchase... ActionCards? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI