Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your favorite WWII game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Your favorite WWII game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your favorite WWII game - 10/28/2007 9:59:11 PM   
kondor

I am looking for some new challenges and I would appreciate your opinion on this subject.
Simple- which is your favorite WWII game?

I must say Panzer General 1, and AWD.

Is it CEaW worth of getting into?

Post #: 1
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/28/2007 10:22:16 PM   
rjh1971

Favourite ones:

1.- GG A World Divided
2.- Panzer General II, much better graphics than I and fully modable with some beautiful tools to do so: Luis Guzman suite is fantastic. Though I have to say I haven't played it for a long while.
3.- Strategic Command I and 2, just bought the expansion Weapons & Warfare, very recomandable. Only thing I don't like is the e-license system.
4. CEaW I bought and it has potential but lack of time prevents me from playing it as much as I would like. LACK of time sighh

If I were you I would take a close look between 3 and 4. If you're in a wealthy period get both

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 2
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/29/2007 12:26:08 AM   
cgarmfeldt

1. GGWAWAWD. No, really :) The PBEM experience is second to none.
2. Clash of Steel. It just begs for a remake. Sadly, most attempts end up short of the goal.
3. Panzer General I
4. Steel Panthers I

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/29/2007 11:11:54 AM   
kondor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

3.- Strategic Command I and 2, just bought the expansion Weapons & Warfare, very recomandable. Only thing I don't like is the e-license system.
4. CEaW I bought and it has potential but lack of time prevents me from playing it as much as I would like. LACK of time sighh

If I were you I would take a close look between 3 and 4. If you're in a wealthy period get both

That is the problem that burdens us all-lack of time. What is the learning curve for SC and CEaW?
Now I just don´t have the time to learn something elaborate as AWD...

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 4
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/30/2007 1:14:25 AM   
rjh1971

Dalibor from my point of view CEaW is playable straight forward, it's manual has 50 pages but really you only read about 35 or so, the rest are credits index... It's a very intuitive game you can run it and you will know exactly how it works without any hustle at all. It doesn't have a replay for pbem games as good as WAW it can be a bit confusing. It's ideal for TCP /Ip play or so they say I have not been able to try it guess why It's AI could be improved it lacked action in north africa. The graphics are ok but not spectacular.

About SC2 and its expansion, it is now on offer for just 45$ (both) I had SC2 so only had to purchase the expansion, only 25 $ with a high euro it was a bargain.
SC2 has better graphics more colorful, a better AI and a fantastic editor if you are into modding, imo it's a better game, though CEaW has a big potential I think the developer will problably release a second part much enhance in the future. SC2 and W&W exp. also allow to play pbem and tcp/ip. I warn you this one hasn't got hexes but squares well more like rhombus. There are some AARs in it's web I suggest you take a look there and compare both.

As I said I like both, maybe CEaW is easier to play and for begginers wargamers.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 5
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/30/2007 9:07:13 AM   
Forwarn45

I agree with RJH, CEAW isn't too complicated. It is actually simpler than AWD to learn the basics.

AWD is still my favorite though. CEAW is pretty good - plays pretty quickly and is fun. Has a few hangups that bug me (like no weather on the West Front), but they haven't stopped me from playing. As RJH mentions, the biggest problem may be that there isn't a good playback in PBEM. I have played TCP/IP a few times and enjoyed it though. AI is decent on the Eastern Front but otherwise there are some issues. So I give it a qualified thumbs up. And if you like Panzer General, it has a similar "look" to it and feel for individual turns - although it plays very differently since it is a strategic game of the whole war.

< Message edited by Forwarn45 -- 10/30/2007 9:10:31 AM >

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 6
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 10/30/2007 10:51:52 AM   
kondor

Thx guys! I am leaning towards CAEW because of it´s simplicity and PG familiar look... But before buying I will check out SC2 a little moer closely...

(in reply to Forwarn45)
Post #: 7
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 11/1/2007 4:35:53 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Witp and this one.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 8
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 11/5/2007 4:45:05 PM   
Lebatron

1. AWD of coarse.
2. Avalon Hill's Third Reich and its later revisions. Currently it's latest form is called "A World at War" by GMT games. Basically it's an improved form of Advanced Third Reich and Rising Sun put together into one package. I included this game in this list because it can be played by PBEM with a PC program called Warplanner. So it feels like a PC game without the AI. How cares about AI anyway when PBEM is much better.
3. Good old Axis and Allies. I you want to play a computer form of it don't bother with the Hasbro CD. Get the free program TripleA to play via PBEM or live. It supports many versions of A&A including the newest edition.
4. Strategic Command 1. Still play from time to time. I might have gotton SC2 but the demo was way to short to convince me to upgrade. Plus I didn't like the new interface of SC2 nor the change from hexes to squares.

I have only played CEaW a tiny bit, but I think its got potential if the developer continues to stand behind it. I'm sitting back and waiting for it mature before I spend more time with it.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 11/5/2007 9:10:18 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

2. Avalon Hill's Third Reich and its later revisions. Currently it's latest form is called "A World at War" by GMT games. Basically it's an improved form of Advanced Third Reich and Rising Sun put together into one package. I included this game in this list because it can be played by PBEM with a PC program called Warplanner. So it feels like a PC game without the AI. How cares about AI anyway when PBEM is much better.
4. Strategic Command 1. Still play from time to time. I might have gotton SC2 but the demo was way to short to convince me to upgrade. Plus I didn't like the new interface of SC2 nor the change from hexes to squares.

Lebatron, I have posted an Advanced Third Reich mod to SC2-WaW at cmmods.com, complete with challenging Axis and Allied AI scripting and customized bitmaps. It plays pretty well, and if you're a true 3R junkie it's worth checking out. Can you guess what my favorite WWII game is?

The old hexes versus tiles argument is humorous. Personally I don't think it matters. Recently I've seen some posts about the flank unit advantage changes in TOAW III and some other posts on a Computer War in Europe mailing list regarding differences in the hex-grain direction and its effects. There ARE differences in whether the grain is north-south or east-west, and it was funny to see some arguing about that. But bottom line is hexagons provide six degrees of freedom for movement and combat whereas tiles provide eight. Intuitively one might expect more wargamers leaning toward tiles over hexes, but most grognards grew up with hexes so it's difficult to change attitudes.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 10
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 11/5/2007 9:13:22 PM   
chris51

Depends what you are looking for in a game.

If it's world wide open strategy GGWAW:AWD is unmatched, for tactical small unit combat definatly the combat mission series. For bigger scenarios and war length campaigns I would say Panzer General 2. I'm also quite enjoying Company of Heroes right now.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 11
RE: Your favorite WWII game - 11/10/2007 10:41:08 PM   
Lebatron

pzgndr, I have been to the main SC1 and SC2 forums in the past and have seen that you made an Advanced Third Reich mod for SC2. If I ever buy SC2, I would certainly play your mod and maybe challenge you to a few games of it.

While you do get more directions of movement from squares, its the effect diagonal movement has on relative distance that bothers me. If you were to fly say 5 moves following a diagonal and compared that total distance with flying side to side, the radius of diagonal movement would be much larger. Sure it has only a small effect on gameplay, but that shortcoming is why I prefer hexes. Another thing to consider is the effect it has on the defender. Hexes provide fewer stacking zones around a city for the attacker to strike from. This makes some areas like cities and fortresses easier for the defender to hold, especially if the defender can hold some of the surrounding hexes themselves.

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to chris51)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Your favorite WWII game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI