Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiple games saved question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Multiple games saved question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiple games saved question - 10/31/2007 9:26:42 AM   
toonces

Hi all.
I am part way through a campaign game, and I'm interested in starting a new game (vs. AI) as the other side.

Can I have both campaigns saved in the same folder, one of the 200 slots or so that are allotted for saved games, without any problems with switching between the two? What I mean is that if I have one campaign saved in slot 3, save the other campaign in slot 4, and then restart the slot 3 campaign, will I run into any problems?

I ask because in looking through the saved games folder, the only intelligence report that seems to be saved is the most recent, and I'm worried that switching between two different campaigns might confuse the computer or something.

I hope this question isn't too stupid, I just have too much time invested in my current campaign to risk experimenting to see if there will be a problem.

Thanks
Toonces
Post #: 1
RE: Multiple games saved question - 10/31/2007 10:17:43 AM   
okami

quote:

ORIGINAL: toonces

Hi all.
I am part way through a campaign game, and I'm interested in starting a new game (vs. AI) as the other side.

Can I have both campaigns saved in the same folder, one of the 200 slots or so that are allotted for saved games, without any problems with switching between the two? What I mean is that if I have one campaign saved in slot 3, save the other campaign in slot 4, and then restart the slot 3 campaign, will I run into any problems?

I ask because in looking through the saved games folder, the only intelligence report that seems to be saved is the most recent, and I'm worried that switching between two different campaigns might confuse the computer or something.

I hope this question isn't too stupid, I just have too much time invested in my current campaign to risk experimenting to see if there will be a problem.

Thanks
Toonces

Multiple game saving is fine, your reports will get fowled though. When you save a game it saves all the files but only the gamefile is saved separately. This has the effect of saving over the combat file and operations file. So when you switch games these files will not be correct for the first turn that you play the new game. Note that is everytime you switch. I am playing in multiple email games and everytime I finish one I must immediately email it to my opponent so that he gets the correct files. Keep this in mind and you will have no problems.

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiple games saved question - 10/31/2007 10:22:13 AM   
bradfordkay

As long as you're using the same version, then saving multiple games usually causes no problems. I tend to keep 14 days of saves for each game that I'm playing (sometimes it helps to reload an earlier save just to see where stuff was and how it has been moving since) and have rarely had any problem when reloading different games.

Now if you're playing different versions (map or mod), it pays to remember which save is using which version or you'll get the map all messed up.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiple games saved question - 10/31/2007 1:57:17 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Hi all.

Thanks
Toonces

It's best (i think) to just make another folder, copy the entire WITP game over into it (takes 5-10 minutes to copy - no reinstall necessary) and then just play separate games from the different folders. You can have different versions with different maps this way (if you like) and there is less confusion between the different games.

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiple games saved question - 10/31/2007 10:31:02 PM   
toonces

Thanks for the responses.

rtrapasso, that sounds like the best idea for me, provided it won't mess up the registry or anything. I know some games have problems with multiple installs on the same computer.

I'll try it and see how it works out.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiple games saved question - 11/1/2007 1:20:19 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Thanks for the responses.

rtrapasso, that sounds like the best idea for me, provided it won't mess up the registry or anything. I know some games have problems with multiple installs on the same computer.

I'll try it and see how it works out.

it should not present any problem - i have 3 copies on my machine with 7 EXE versions (for Beta work).

Just remember to just COPY the entire WITP folder - don't try a second installation. Just do a copy and rename the file (and you can create a new shortcut).

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 11/1/2007 1:21:31 AM >

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiple games saved question - 11/1/2007 4:36:28 AM   
erstad

I have multiple installs too, and one trick is to put a folder in the SAVE directory that has a name that clues you as to what directory it is. Before I did that, I would sometimes e-mail the wrong game file to my opponent (my email client opens the same folder I did the last attach in, so if I forget to change it, I get whatever folder I last sent from - and they all look the same)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiple games saved question - 11/1/2007 7:46:18 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

As long as you're using the same version, then saving multiple games usually causes no problems. I tend to keep 14 days of saves for each game that I'm playing (sometimes it helps to reload an earlier save just to see where stuff was and how it has been moving since) and have rarely had any problem when reloading different games.

Now if you're playing different versions (map or mod), it pays to remember which save is using which version or you'll get the map all messed up.

Ain't that the sad and sorry truth.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiple games saved question - 11/1/2007 1:43:18 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Ain't that the sad and sorry truth.

Another argument for the separate directories!!

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Multiple games saved question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI