Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Defending a river line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 6:47:40 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Of course, you can always hand it over to the PO. But that's about as brainless - and is it really wargaming?

Sure it would. In fact I would find it a fascinating exercise. However I wouldn't want to surrender TOAW's approach in favour of this. Some combination of the two would be ideal.

As I posted once before, elsewhere, you can sort of try it out with TOAW. Just pick a scenario that hasn't had the PO programmed for either side. Then have each player program his respective side's PO. Then run a PO vs. PO test. Whoever programmed the best will probably win. The good news is that we would end up with a PO programmed scenario in the process (DNO?).

quote:

Sure. But at these turn scales, this is the only possible outcome. The trapped forces could be under Rommel or Gamelin. It makes no difference.

The claim is that CA's WEGO is going to put TOAW out of business. At best, it will work better for some topics, worse for others. I think it could just as easily turn out to be an albatross around its neck.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 271
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 8:58:12 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

And each motorized unit would have a movement allowance of 330 MPs.

That's about as silly as it can get. Do you really expect that the time scales wouldn't be adjusted? Do you really think that the entire map needs to be modeled?

Come on kid, if you're going to make an argument at least try to frame it in a reasonable setting.

Regards, RhinoBones

It was your proposal to use CA for CFNA.

That is basically a true statement. You have to know what kind of bait to use when you go fishing.

I just didn't expect to get such an absurd reaction from a person who otherwise seems to be lucid.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 272
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 9:50:34 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Commanders must be brainless, because that's how WEGO will model them.

I've seen this assertion a number of times with a number of flavors. "Mindless" seems to be a favorite. Anyone who has played a WEGO war game (I’m using v4v and W@W as my reference points) knows that units receive orders for deployment, where to move, the movement path, what to do when they arrive, who to attack, what to defend and usually what to do if surprised along the way. This is hardly the activity mode of a unit moving in a brainless or mindless manner.

The movement of a unit under WEGO is much like a unit under IGYG. The big different is that under WEGO the player doesn’t have instantaneous and perfect communications as he does with IGYG units.

quote:

WEGO forces are going to function more or less like they were commanded by General John Bell Hood: They’re going to proceed on to Nashville even though they were crushed at Franklin – because that’s what the plan was.

This is another erroneous assertion that plays to the absurd. The assertion is intended to paint the picture that units will proceed with current orders on the scale of TOAW (days, weeks, etc) when in actuality WEGO turns are measured in hours. The player has plenty of opportunity to adjust unit orders, in order to support the battle plan. A unit is just not going to march across the map oblivious to the situation; the orders to the unit will not allow such an action and there is a physical time constraint that precludes such a feat. Either you are unfamiliar with WEGO war games (again my reference point is v4v and W@W) or you are intentionally falsifying your assertion, i.e. blowing it up to a ridiculous level as you did with CFNA.

In the old v4v A Bridge Too Far scenario, I would estimate that if there was no German opposition, no bridges were blown and the British had full movement and supply, it would take at least six turns for a British cavalry unit to move from the bottom, to the top of the map. More than plenty of opportunity for the player to make adjustments and ensure he has not created one of your General John Bell Hood units. Of course in v4v there would always be opposition and General John Bell Hood would not exist (not unless the player actually wanted him to exist). Every reason to think that the same WEGO controls would apply to a WEGO derivative of TOAW.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 273
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 10:21:46 PM   
Telumar

Bob, you may want to read Iron Duke's CA AAR here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=585819 There are a lot of game notes as he calls it that explain game mechanics and various options etc.

It's far from being that silly as you try to claim.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 274
RE: Defending a river line - 10/22/2007 10:51:42 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

This is another erroneous assertion that plays to the absurd. The assertion is intended to paint the picture that units will proceed with current orders on the scale of TOAW (days, weeks, etc) when in actuality WEGO turns are measured in hours. The player has plenty of opportunity to adjust unit orders, in order to support the battle plan. A unit is just not going to march across the map oblivious to the situation; the orders to the unit will not allow such an action and there is a physical time constraint that precludes such a feat....

Yeah -- but now you've just implicitly limited the scope of we-go simulations. It sounds like max is about 5 km/hex and one day turns. Nothing wrong with that -- but it's going to leave TOAW with lots of market share.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 275
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 12:10:00 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

Yeah -- but now you've just implicitly limited the scope of we-go simulations. It sounds like max is about 5 km/hex and one day turns. Nothing wrong with that -- but it's going to leave TOAW with lots of market share.

Guess about all we could do on that point is debate the hypothetical market share of a hypothetical game . . . we can find more productive things to do! Probably best to file this discussion until there is something real to compare to TOAW.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 276
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 12:28:43 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke
Besides, Combined Arms has a "Bypass" general order that allows you to tell your units to go around enemy units they encounter on their path. Also, there never was a way to co-ordinate manouevre when forces decided to step outside their Staff instructions.

Generally, units followed their AXIs of advance because going around generally meant you blundered into the axis of advance of the neighbouring unit which (depending on the level we are discussing) was either a Company, battalion, regiment or Division. This presented juicy arty interdiction targets and created traffic jams.

quote:

And that "Bypass" choice would have to be made in advance - before you can evaluate just what you're going to encounter or what sort of shape you're in. Really, the options you're giving players aren’t even as sophisticated as the abilities of the PO in TOAW. And we all know what a fine player the PO is.

With respect, have you really studied this? I mean in detail in terms of how WWII actually went? I read through far more of this with bemusement than I was comfortable with given your position here.

"Bypass" is an operational response that you can pretty much pre-program because it is a response not to circumstance at point of contact, but a pre-programmed response based on operational intent.

In other words, what you do in differing scenarios when meeting a dug in LEHR Panzergrenadier Btn is dependent on your mission. So, if they are dug in on your objective, then you know you'll attack if you reach them. If your mission is just to plunge deep because the battlefield is broken, the enemy front line shattered and the way to Paris open, then you might consider "bypass" but it is your Commander's assessment of the battlefield and his intent before you even move that judges this. In other words, if he says drive to Paris and stop for nothing, you set bypass. If he says take Falaise, you set "attack" as the "general order" in circumstances where you meet an enemy unit.

In other words, if the Lehr dominate a key road junction, you won't bypass, and you know you won't bypass before you even set off because your Commander wants that road junction to shift his armour down. Therefore, you will attack. You won't bypass because that means your mission has failed.

Subordinates didn't get the sort of latitude you are suggesting for these sorts of reasons. They weren't paid to know the overall operational situation and the minute they decided what to do based on their appreciation of the tactical situation and the narrow needs of their own command was the point plans started failing.

quote:

You want us to believe that military commanders had no authority to do anything.

Pretty much at most levels. You can prove me wrong by citing examples (if you have any) but the ones I can think of were very macro-operational in nature. Clark arguably decided to go for glory after the Anzio breakout, but that was a decision made at Army level and was a decision I suspect he made very early before the troops set off. It certainly wasn't made after an appreciation of the operational situation in the way you would want.

German freedom of action was curtailed in early 1942 and by the end of the war you couldn't shift a battalion without fuhrer approval. The one classic example of WWII "Aufstragstaktik" was arguably Guderian on the Meuse, but so great was his authority to do what he liked that he had to threaten to resign to be allowed to resume the advance as he wanted.

Another might be Hausser at third Kharkov, but Nipe has a different opinion (next on my reading list) and no one would have been surprised if Hausser had been sacked for the insubordination.

British and American troops got orders and actioned them. Nobody bypassed anything in Bradley's drive on St Lo and Epsom, Goodwood et al were too narrowly fronted for anyone to manouver anywhere. You could argue Wood in Lorraine attempted something along these lines but he ran into a number of issues and eventually lost his job. The British Army simply didn't work like this, certainly not after Montgomery took command.

Nobody bypassed the Hurtgen etc. Military Commanders are given orders which often include Staff directions for their AXIS of advance and general posture when you start to look at Divisions and regiments. I can't think of any 8 hour period in the war when anyone doing anything wouldn't have already known before contact whether he was likely to bypass or attack if he encountered resistance. The response was dependant on his orders, which he already had.

Troops don't fight in a vacuum. You drive around a roadblock at the operational level and you generally move onto someone else's roadnet. Do it at the tactical level and who is going to notice in hex sizes of 1km and higher?

This is why you have to get away from talking about infiltration at operational and strategic levels. It simplym isn't a term that describes anything.

Or rather, what would you describe as operational infiltration (a WWII example to illustrate what you mean)?

quote:

Your motives are obvious.

To be fair, so are yours. Mine are at least grounded in some historical reality.

quote:

Commanders must be brainless, because that's how WEGO will model them.

Or Commanders must be all powerful and at the head of the column and in instantaneous, flawless and operationally complete communication with all higher, peer and subordinate commands who can action fresh orders instantaneously because that's how IGOUGO manages them.

When was this ever the case? This doesn't sound all that realistic to me.

I can cite examples to support me. If you cite some to support you we can start to debate specifics.

quote:

WEGO forces are going to function more or less like they were commanded by General John Bell Hood: They’re going to proceed on to Nashville even though they were crushed at Franklin – because that’s what the plan was.

No, they are not, because if they get crushed at Franklin, they're not going to get through to Nashville without another turn to decide what to do, as indeed Hood got.

quote:

Infiltration tactics were a (largely German) taqctical method of screening infantry advance behind darkness or broken terrain in order to open the attack from a closer, more advantageous and surprising position. It doesn't really have a place in the operational level unless you simulate it with a combat modifier. It was about getting a better position to attack from, and penetrating the defensive position to its depth, it wasn't an operational concept about having recce companies marauding about in the enemy's rear.

quote:

No. Its principles applied at the tactical, operational, and even strategic scales. Blitzkrieg was just infiltration with tanks.

How do you infiltrate strategically or even operationally?

Against a solid front line, you can't spirit divisions through the gaps. Squads and platoons maybe, but then they are not going to press blindly on, they are going to infiltrate for a purpose and that purpose is to attack from the rear so gaps can be opened in the defences. This is abstracted within the combat as it has no real operational context. It's a tactical thing, period. It isn't an operational infilitration but a tactical one.

As the war progressed, defensive zones got progressively deeper. You can't infiltrate through defences 10 kilometres thick as they were at Goodwood etc. Infiltration (if it was ever practised) would have got harder and harder in these circumstances. To prove this, you have to show me infiltration at the operational level. It's difficult to infiltrate when you are advancing behind a creeping barrage or in the wake of 500 heavy bombers.

Soviet firepower levels at point of contact were just as intense and Guard's Tank Armies or Rifle Divisions didn't "infiltrate" anywhere, trust me, they attacked, flattened and pushed on.

That leaves the Germans whose chief operational characteristic was massed employment of armour which again doesn't really "infiltrate". It tears open the front and pours through.

you have to get over this loose language. Infiltration tactics started during the first world war as a largely German way of opening up the front line. It was a tactical response to a tactical question: How do I get across no man's land in the face of automatic weapons fire and penetrate three trench lines over a kilometre or two before the enemy brings up reinforcements and counterattacks.

It isn't operational because it does not have any theory on what to do after the breakthrough. Conventional fighting forces will pour through these gaps and fight a conventional campaign until halted at which point the tactical response re-appears to force a gap again.

Therefore, operationally and strategically, nobody infiltrates. It doesn't mean anything.

quote:

Blitzkrieg was just infiltration with tanks.

Blitzkrieg was not "infiltration with Tanks". it was a meaningless phrase which if it meant anything meant a combined arms fracturing of the enemy front at a point of pre-chosen main effort combined with swift manouver and pursuit once the fracture was complete. The maneuver and pursuit was generally aimed at encirclement and the destruction of the enemy's main field forces.

Blitzkrieg might ask it's infantry to infiltrate as part of the attack to open the defence up, but this is a tactical method of breaking the line. Blitzkrieg as a concept was not a method of breaking the line, it was a method of breaking and encircling the enemy forces by dint of rapid manouver.

I would strongly advise against posting your description of "Blitzkrieg" anywhere where the knowledge of German operational method is higher than "Guderian did the tank thing really good, Man." It is more than innaccurate. You'll be offended by the responses.

quote:

All of WWII was the application of infiltration principles.

Incorrect. British troops didn't really infiltrate, they advanced behind a carpet of high explosive. No one was ever in any doubt when British infantry was approaching because the decibel level went through the roof. Much the same for the Americans. The Allied advantages lay in better artillery support procedures and massed air support. When you have that, sneaking a couple of squads through the trees is an unneccessary exercise. Besides, this has no effect upon the operational picture which is really not interested in what Easy Company are doing in front of, to the side or even behind that Farmhouse.

Infiltration uses a short sharp barrage to allow troops to close to tactically useful ranges to use their heavy weapons. The British didn;t do that. They bombarded for a week and then went over the top. It was much the same in WWII with elaborate and massive fire plans backed by overwhelming firepower in the air.

quote:

And, again, how do you direct your reserves to exploit success instead of reinforce failure?

The next turn, much like you might in TOAW. Reserves don't just get involved in these situations because you've taken a hill, but because you've punched through the other side and started making progress. You can't move to exploit success in TOAW until combat (and turn burn) has shown you where the weak point is. In CA you program this the next turn using the forces you have earmarked for exploitation.

quote:

You can pre-program bypass, ...

quote:

That's not the same as taking the path of least resistance. That requires mental faculties.

But path of least resistance is not known for several hours or even days. CA isn't 50Km per hex and 1 month turns. When you find path of least resistance, you gravitate towards it when your next turn starts.

quote:

The Americans and British generally fought linear battles where everyone advanced along their axis of attack. the Russians were relatively inflexible once they had torn the hole in your front. The German method simply didn't emphasise this initiative after early 1942, and if there was still some initiative at the small unit level, you simulate that with greater proficiency within the game engine at an operational level.

You're asking for something which simply didn't happen all that often in practice. I can think of Peiper in the Ardennes and Wood at one point in Lorraine but American Infantry divisions didn't bypass resistance because that put you on the roads and terrain being used by the neighbouring division and led to friendly fire, traffic jams and target rich environments.

quote:

Linear tactics were basically abandoned by the end of WWI.

With respect, you need to read more. Linear was all Monty really did, and in Lorraine, Patton, US Godhead of maneuver, attacked across the length of his front. The drive on St Lo was linear as was the battle for the Hurtgen. Even Cobra was a wide attack initially as Bradley threw everything in he had.

quote:

That's why WWII battles were so fluid relative to WWI.

Fluid? WWII campaigns were generally static after mid 42, marked by sudden occasional breakthrough and pursuit before the next big set piece.

The battle for France 44 is fluid for all of five minutes as the Allies chase the Germans across France. Before that there were 10 weeks of very linear, very static attrition in Normandy. After your dizzy five minutes, things settle down and American Armies then grind their way through Lorraine, the Vosges and the Hurtgen whilst Monty labours up the Scheldt estuary. This isn't fluid (at least not as I understand it).

Sicily and Italy were fighting withdrawals for which the word fluid applies even less, save for five minutes after the Anzio breakout.

In the east, the front lines between Nov 41 and June 44 hardly changed at all in the north and centre. In the south, things got fluid when the Germans ran out of resources and fluid isn't the right word. They basically got pursued.

There was nothing fluid about Kursk, for example. Other large scale efforts either ground forward or were centred on precise geographical features like Balck's fight along the Chir or the SS PanzerKorps along the Mius (clear operational mistakes because rivers dont have much significance I've heard).

Bagration was very fluid, but then the Soviets attacked everywhere in a rolling effort along the front. It was very linear in that sense, and then only fluid once the pursuit began. This sort of fluidity was evident in the east during WWI, on the western front during 1918 and on the Italian front in 1917 if memory serves. Fluidity is a product of operational circumstance, and you can periods in both wards of great fluidity and large scale rigidity.

quote:

But there are far more problems beyond infiltration. No coordination is possible against unexpected targets. That includes both ground forces and support. You can't do "hit and run" tactics. It all traces back to the brainless commander problem.

How much co-ordination can there ever be against unexpected threats? Remember, your neighbouring units are in a fight of their own. They may not be able to peel away and co-ordinate to aid you, not least because that involves an active disengagement and an opportunity for the enemy as they pull away. There was generally a pause if Units required help against a threat they couldn't cope with as the CO organised reserves and worked out a fresh plan and Staff instructions to get them there.

quote:

Really?

One of the reasons the Germans killed "Aufstragstaktik" (which I presume is what you are hinting at) was because it wasn't practical in the era of mass Armies to have divisional or Corp Commanders setting their own objectives based on how they saw the battlefield and it didn't really occur in the US Army anyway and practically never in the British Army of WWII.

quote:

What I was hinting at was that if a squad ran into a machinegun nest across their axis of advance, they weren't forced to launch a frontal assault on it. They had the latitude to maneuver against it, even coordinate with another squad or two. They could call for support, etc. The same was true at all scales.

No it wasn't true at all scales. Maneuvring against it is simple squad tactics vis a vis the MG nest. All combat within TOAW surely simulates and abstracts this during the tactical phases. Besides, on scales of 1 KM and above, how (indeed why) do you simulate a squad shifting 200 yards east to use trees to cover a flanking move on an MG nest? At the greater scales, Divisions don't do sideways, not least because you run right across the roadnet earmarked for another division. Such a move would also require a pause whilst your Staff Officers worked out who was moving first and to where.

the flaw in your reasoning is that Junior Commanders were in any position to make this operational freedom work without screwing things up royally for someone else. I tell my Regiments to advance on separate but generally parallel AXIs of advance because I want to clear my front. A Colonel taking it upon himself to shift sideways 5 kilometres screws that plan up in several ways.

quote:

The wargaming is in setting realistic plans that balance objectives with necessity. Yes, I want to get forward, but that uncleared town at the shoulder of my penetration is worrying and I see Tanks massing the other side of it. Therefore, I have to launch a preemptive assault or dig in infantry and AT assets to prevent the counter attack.

You can see attacks hit thin air as the enemy pull back and enemy troops irritatingly withdraw rather than be obligingly static whilst you flank them. However, it's very fluid, realistic and the fun is in the planning. Plan better than your opponent and you win. You also (IMHO) have to plan with very Military considerations in mind.

CA complicates the planning process by giving you numerous deployment states. You don't move and attack in the same state (or rather you can move forward in at attacking deployment but much slower than if you were in a column advancing) and these various states give you a trade off between time and action. I think it works very well.

I've seen sizeable penetrations made. Narrow penetrations made and units cut off as flanking troops advancing hit stiffer resistance. I've seen the bypass order used to get a Guards Battlegroup up Hells Highway past badly hit and blocking FJ and it really puts a premium on anticipation.

Currently in TOAW, you attack, I watch where it is coming and respond.

In CA I have to anticipate, because (as in real life) if your attack is unexpected, I am already a turn behind when I plan the counter. I think it makes breakthroughs much more likely if well planned than in TOAW where IGOUGO always allows reaction. In my experience, clean breakthroughs in TOAW often rely on the enemy having nothing in range to face you with rather than not having the time to stop you and block you as your forces roar on.

quote:

This all sounds roughly like programming the PO in TOAW scenario design, and then watching a PO vs. PO test. That’s not my idea of wargaming. And it produces ridiculous results like enemy forces ignoring each other as they move right by each other.

No, it's not remotely like that, because in TOAW you can't change the objective tracks turn by turn in response to operational conditions. you effectively do that in CA because each move allows you to reconsider and reset orders as appropriate.

Besides, "Sounds like" means you don't really know, do you, whereas I have around ten years with TOAW and 30 months with CA. Is this a debate you really think you can win on that basis?

How do you think this works? Have you checked?

You don't set orders once on 22.06.1941 and then come back five hours later when the game date is 01.02.1942 to see if you got Moscow and can start bragging to your Mates. You can completely reprogam your unit objectives every turn if you so please. It's dynamic, and models friction and the unexpected better than any title I have ever seen.

At the moment, game turns are eight hours long. Exactly how much latitude do you think got used that being able to change your objective three times per day wouldn't be enough?

I get the feeling you are extrapolating the way you think North Africa worked to draw general conclusions about WWII.

Even assuming "Aufstragstaktik" was adopted by everybody (which it certainly wasn't), it still didn't work the way you want it to. Mission orders gave you something to do. Therefore, your response to the unexpected was pretty much pre-planned in many circumstances because all a Commander did was decide what to do next based on his orders. If those orders said stop for nothing, your response to the unexpected is already known before you meet it (i.e. Stop for nothing). therefore, pre-programming your response to the unexpected is very realistic in this sense.

IronDuke

< Message edited by IronDuke -- 10/23/2007 1:01:06 AM >

Post #: 277
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 12:29:39 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

Besides when is TOAW IV due?

I would tell you- but I signed an NDA :P

Anyway, TOAW III is an extant system.

Well, how is it going to be different?

Post #: 278
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 12:35:25 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

This is another erroneous assertion that plays to the absurd. The assertion is intended to paint the picture that units will proceed with current orders on the scale of TOAW (days, weeks, etc) when in actuality WEGO turns are measured in hours. The player has plenty of opportunity to adjust unit orders, in order to support the battle plan. A unit is just not going to march across the map oblivious to the situation; the orders to the unit will not allow such an action and there is a physical time constraint that precludes such a feat....

I disagree with this only to the extent that the bigger forces become and the bigger scales become the less WEGO is a drawback.

It is only a drawback where the scale and time frame are out of sync (say 1KM and 2 day turns or 25km and month turns etc.) I suspect there will be a medium that works throughout although it's only an opinion.

The bigger the scale, the less responsive units get since Divisions change direction slower than Regiments and slower still than battalions. I think you could FITE with this (10Km and Regiments/Divisions and half weeks) which essentially means you could probably do anything. However, there's no guarantee the devs want to go in that direction anyway.

Regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 279
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 8:40:11 AM   
rhinobones

What a response!!!

Good to know that WEGO is alive and well.

Regards, RhinoBpnes

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 280
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 1:03:02 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

As I posted once before, elsewhere, you can sort of try it out with TOAW. Just pick a scenario that hasn't had the PO programmed for either side. Then have each player program his respective side's PO. Then run a PO vs. PO test. Whoever programmed the best will probably win. The good news is that we would end up with a PO programmed scenario in the process (DNO?).

Right. Imagine setting the PO orders only once every x turns. Now you're basically in the role of a supreme commander. Very interesting.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 281
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 1:09:46 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

[The movement of a unit under WEGO is much like a unit under IGYG. The big different is that under WEGO the player doesn’t have instantaneous and perfect communications as he does with IGYG units.

I'll qualify that. Suppose it's one day turns. The player has instant and perfect communication at 6am. He has hazy communication at noon. Things really fall apart by nightfall- but are back to being perfect again in the morning.

As you note, the particular game we're discussing doesn't have one day turns- it's only a few hours. But a couple of pages back you were looking forward to CA being reworked for the sort of scales TOAW operates at.

Really, I'm surprised the WEGO crowd is still so enthusiastic. If this is the sort of direction you're going in, why aren't you playing Conquest of the Aegean? No question of where the rivers go with regard to the hexes. There ain't no hexes.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 282
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 5:04:48 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

You want us to believe that military commanders had no authority to do anything.

Pretty much at most levels.

I think this just about sums up this entire long-winded post. It is beyond ridiculous. But it is exactly what WEGO will model. I'm not going to waste time establishing that military decisions of all magnitudes were made more or less continuously - it's obvious. Your misreading of history simply consists of oversimplifing the action.

quote:

quote:

No, they are not, because if they get crushed at Franklin, they're not going to get through to Nashville without another turn to decide what to do, as indeed Hood got.

Yes, they are. I was illustrating a principle with the example. Within any turn, no re-evaluation of the plan will take place if the force is crushed at the start. It will continue on to the next crushing in that same turn.

quote:

By taking the path of least resistance. By reinforcing success and abandoning failure. It applies at any scale.

quote:

Conventional fighting forces will pour through these gaps and fight a conventional campaign until halted at which point the tactical response re-appears to force a gap again.

That's infiltration!! You exploit success and abandon failure. Before infiltration, forces didn't shift reserves to exploit a gap in the line. They would shift them to help the attack that had run into trouble. This meant that a defense was a strong as its strongest point. The principles are applied at every scale level.

quote:

quote:

I would strongly advise against posting your description of "Blitzkrieg" anywhere where the knowledge of German operational method is higher than "Guderian did the tank thing really good, Man." It is more than innaccurate. You'll be offended by the responses.

I'll consider the source first. And Blitzkrieg definitely traced its roots back to the German 1918 offensives. It was infiltration with tanks.

quote:

quote:

And, again, how do you direct your reserves to exploit success instead of reinforce failure?

The next turn, much like you might in TOAW.

In TOAW you can exploit in the same turn. By next turn the opportunity will have vanished. Conclusion: WEGO doesn't allow exploitation. IGOUGO does.

quote:

But path of least resistance is not known for several hours or even days. CA isn't 50Km per hex and 1 month turns. When you find path of least resistance, you gravitate towards it when your next turn starts.

It's independent of scale. Once again, we're told that unit commanders are blind and brainless. Their superiors can't communicate with them, and can't make a decision even if they could. It's a silly model, but he's sticking to it.

quote:

With respect, you need to read more. Linear was all Monty really did, and in Lorraine, Patton, US Godhead of maneuver, attacked across the length of his front. The drive on St Lo was linear as was the battle for the Hurtgen. Even Cobra was a wide attack initially as Bradley threw everything in he had.

Linear tactics means the men form up into lines. Not exactly shoulder-to-shoulder like Napoleon did it, by WWI, but loosely in a line. By WWII they simply didn't do this. I expect you mean something else, but exactly what, I don't know.

quote:

quote:

Fluid? WWII campaigns were generally static after mid 42, marked by sudden occasional breakthrough and pursuit before the next big set piece.

For static, see the Western Front from about 1915-1917. At 15km/hex, not one single hex would have changed hands over that period. That's static! Why was WWII so relatively fluid? Because of infiltration principles.

quote:

quote:

What I was hinting at was that if a squad ran into a machinegun nest across their axis of advance, they weren't forced to launch a frontal assault on it. They had the latitude to maneuver against it, even coordinate with another squad or two. They could call for support, etc. The same was true at all scales.

No it wasn't true at all scales.

Sure it was. Look at what you're saying. At the start of every turn, every operational factor is subject to complete revision however the players want. But, within the turn nothing is. (And then you claim you can adapt WEGO to any scale.) It's simply absurd. Your entire theory is driven entirely by what WEGO permits.

quote:

quote:

This all sounds roughly like programming the PO in TOAW scenario design, and then watching a PO vs. PO test. That’s not my idea of wargaming. And it produces ridiculous results like enemy forces ignoring each other as they move right by each other.

No, it's not remotely like that, because in TOAW you can't change the objective tracks turn by turn in response to operational conditions. you effectively do that in CA because each move allows you to reconsider and reset orders as appropriate.

I didn't say it was exactly like that, just roughly like it. There will definitely be a PO vs. PO tinge to WEGO. Players will recognize silly things they see the PO doing in their games now - like the "ships-passing-in-the-night" thing I listed above.

My initial claim was that units in WEGO will be more or less like mindless robots. You haven't done much, if anything, to dispel that impression. Rather, you're sticking to the ridiculous position that commanders really were mindless robots.

Post #: 283
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 5:07:40 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Right. Imagine setting the PO orders only once every x turns. Now you're basically in the role of a supreme commander. Very interesting.

A supreme commander with lobotomized subordinates.

Post #: 284
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 6:04:08 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Hmph. Take a look at how the AI performs on the level of the individual formation in TOAW as it stands. It's pretty formidable. It's only at the higher level that the PO has problems.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/23/2007 6:05:08 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 285
RE: Defending a river line - 10/23/2007 8:30:40 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

However, that's not necessarily any less accurate than the IGYG model, where all your subordinates do exactly the right thing all the time. After all, part of the art of generalship is knowing what the strengths and weaknesses of your subordinates are. Russians did mindlessly repeat the same attack over and over and over again. Perhaps it's a better simulation if you have to formulate your plan with that in mind rather than with the assurance that you can always just take a poke and then go do something else if that doesn't work ala the Germans.

I don't see either system as inherently superior. WEGO is probably better in theory -- but the difficulties with implementation are greater. So it becomes a matter of how well the system is realized in the particular game in question. I suppose the idea would be a WEGO system where each player has a editable ability to stop play and issue new orders -- with an editable delay in transmission. However, it's kind of hard to see how PBEM would work with that...

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/24/2007 3:23:23 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 286
RE: Defending a river line - 10/24/2007 2:48:19 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think this just about sums up this entire long-winded post. It is beyond ridiculous.

But Curtis, surely you appreciate that whilst I back up my contention with logic, reason and real world examples, all you do is say "It is ridiculous".

If it is beyond ridiculous (which I'm guessing is like "really ridiciculous but even worse"), you should be able to prove it quite easily, but instead you duck out of the challenge and parrot "it is ridiculous". If I am wrong, prove it and embarrass me in front of the entire forum.

quote:

But it is exactly what WEGO will model. I'm not going to waste time establishing that military decisions of all magnitudes were made more or less continuously - it's obvious.

You're making an unevidenced speculation "All commanders think on their feet and disobey orders depending on the
tactical situation" and then using it to prove something else is wrong. Logic dictates that whilst the first is unproven, everything else is unworkable, because you can't base further analysis on a very debateable assumption.

It also isn't obvious, as my posts amply illustrated. War is a team game, the minute someone deviates from the game plan the whole team has issues. To get a bit American, if the wide receiver isn't where he's supposed to be, that play perfect pass from the QB is going nowhere. The wide receiver may have spotted some nice space and deviated his path because the Corner back has slipped, but if he isn't at the end of the throw....

Continuous decision making at all levels is essentially a mis-reading of Auftragstaktics. You are throwing terms like this and "infiltration tactics" about the place without understanding what they mean, or taking out of date and fundamentally wrong definitions and going with them.

Aufstragtaktics was a relatively simple German idea based on the social order of early Prussian Armies. The King relied on the Nobility to get their men to the field to fight, he therefore couldn't order them to act like automatons and had to allow them to command their own men as they saw fit.

It didn't really derive from Mission orientated orders or anything like that. It evolved at only the highest level to the point where Army Commanders in the late 19th century had freedom of action. The Germans would send out Armies on parallel paths and rely on Army Commanders to interpret the sound of the guns and converge in line with the general operational plan set oiut by the Commander in Chief. However, it hurt them as much as it helped them, since Army Commanders got aggressive most of the time and ended up attacking forces many times their size with bloody results.

As Armies got bigger, this got more and more impractical since entire Armies couldn't veer off course on the whim of one man who had an imperfect understanding of the overall operational situation. In it's classical sense, only Guderian on the Meuse really tried it during WWII, and he had to resign and get reinstated and then play with the words "recce in force" in order to do it. Note his experiences later in the war at Smolensk when instead of pressing on east into what he felt were weak and fractured Russian defences, he first stayed put and tried to seal the pocket and then went south to seal the Kiev encirclement. At no point did he feel his forces were being used properly, and his response was.....to do as he was told.

The one time he did do as he wanted (albeit under extreme pressure), in withdrawing his Panzer Army after the assault on Moscow failed, he was denounced for it and sent into the wilderness for 18 months. This (let's remember) is the Army most credited with your (badly misused and misunderstood) infiltration tactics/Mission orders thing.

quote:

Your misreading of history simply consists of oversimplifing the action.

Beware of the man who tells you you're misreading history but won't get into specifics because it is beneath him. Furthermore, there is only I actually going into the history. You just sit there and tell me I am mis-reading it without being bothered to explain why (presumably because it is "obvious").

I have cited evidence, people reading this are not blind, until you do the same everything you tell us is unproven and practically worthless. Why won't you get into the evidence? As amateur historians it is where we should live.

I cited Guderian on the Meuse, a member of the only Army to (occasionally) embrace mission orientated command during WWII, and he had to threaten to resign to be allowed to go on. Thus far, the only examples to support you have actually been quoted by me!

You're telling us that Commanders of every magnitude routinely made decisions based on how they saw the situation and not their orders, and yet from 6 years of war costing 50 million dead, you won't (or is it can't) provide any examples.

Let me provide some more from my "misread" history.

Read the operational plan for Goodwood, if the Armour broke free and established itself in it's objective areas, the orders in the summary for 2nd Army Corp Commanders on 18th july specifically stated:

"Main bodies of the three divisions will not be moved from areas (A), (B) and (C) without reference to me. "

"Me" was the 2nd Army Commander Dempsey. This is clear and unambiguous. The three Armoured divisions are told where to establish themselves and told to stop. This applies even if the way to Falaise is clear. they have objectives and a "stop" order. This was 700 tanks on the rampage and after they take their objectives, these armoured warriors are told to rein themselves in, hold and wait for the Army Commander to assess the situation.

This was how the British Army worked. Monty frequently bypassed Army commanders and worked directly with the Corp or even Divisional Commanders. This was top down command, period.

Even Wood in Lorraine (arguably America's finest Armoured Commander) appealed to Eddy (his Corp Commander) on numerous occasions to shift his AXIS of advance or concentrate his numerous Combat Commands into one striking force, or allow him to shift about because of the terrain and the casualties this was causing him but was rejected on every occasion. How and why he was rejected is irrelevant, what is important is that on each occasion he appealed to higher authority to allow him to amend his orders to suit what he saw as the operational conditions, and the abilities of his troops within that operational situation.

He didn't change anything, despite the fact he was very probably right. He asked for his Corp Commander to change his orders or allow a deviation. If Wood, a man who probably understood the possibilities of armour better than any man in NW Europe on the Allied side exercised no initiative in these circumstances, surely we can suppose no one did?

The Falaise gap is really the killer for your argument. If he had been exercising independent command, Patton could have closed it any time he wanted. He didn't because Bradley told him where to stop. Bradley told his finest Armoured Commander to stop at Argentan. Patton wanted to go further but was ordered not to. This is top down control of America's brashest and most independent Officer.

Indeed, the operational plan for the breakout still swung a Corp into Brittany to coral retreating Germans even when it became crystal clear fairly quickly that a real opportunity was being presented to the north. No one turned it around on his own initiative. They went where they were told.

If not Patton and Wood....then who?????

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, they are. I was illustrating a principle with the example. Within any turn, no re-evaluation of the plan will take place if the force is crushed at the start. It will continue on to the next crushing in that same turn.

Not in CA, if it is crushed on it's first advance, it won't reach it's second planned attack. How can it since it's suffered a bad tactical defeat. Besides, as I have (fairly securely I think) established above, plans were not re-evaluated instantaneously on a rolling basis, and even when they were re-evaluated it was done from the top down and the orders took time to take full effect.

quote:

quote:

By taking the path of least resistance. By reinforcing success and abandoning failure. It applies at any scale.

But that isn't infiltration tactics. You are taking a very specific military term and deciding it actually means something else. This misunderstanding is fundamental to everything else you are saying. What source would you quote that supports the supposition that "infiltration tactics" were an operational construct designed to reinforce success and abandon failure?

Just give me one, I'm not asking for much.

quote:

Conventional fighting forces will pour through these gaps and fight a conventional campaign until halted at which point the tactical response re-appears to force a gap again.

quote:

That's infiltration!! You exploit success and abandon failure. Before infiltration, forces didn't shift reserves to exploit a gap in the line. They would shift them to help the attack that had run into trouble. This meant that a defense was a strong as its strongest point. The principles are applied at every scale level.

Where does this stuff actually come from?

The standard text on infiltration tactics is by Bruce Gudmundsson. Entitled "Stormtroop tactics", it is almost 20 years old now. Infiltration tactics were a german development during the first world war to break the tactical stalemate. When you use them along enough of the front to tear open a sizeable hole, they have a mild operational dimension I suppose, but then "bayonet charges" have an operational dimension if you charge across a front of ten miles.

They were essentially about German infantry throwing the rule book out of the window, re-equipping with firepower intensive weaponry and working their way through trench lines by clearing the enemy where they could, or bypassing strongpoints for follow up formations. They made the Squad and platoon NCO a decision maker, but very much a tactical decision maker, well under the scale of any scenario in TOAW I have ever seen.

Tactical decision making was prevalent in all Armies, but that doesn't manifest itself on the operational level. Like I said earlier, an operational level game is not interested in how Easy took the farmhouse. Easy might decide to flank it left and right with fire teams whilst using the .30 cal as a base of fire support, but that is irrelevant to the operational situation. Indeed, they are not deviating from orders one bit, since they are still taking the farmhouse which was their objective..

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll consider the source first. And Blitzkrieg definitely traced its roots back to the German 1918 offensives. It was infiltration with tanks.

Absolutely and fundamentally wrong.

Blitzkrieg meant nothing to the Germans, it was a word that simply didn't feature in their Military vocabulary. If memory serves, Time magazine made it popular, not the Germans. Blitzkrieg as a word is like "shock and awe". It is a media friendly term to describe a concept that already existed but was made to appear fresh and exiting when it happened.

The German Miliutary knew Bewegungskrieg or war of movement. They operated this way well before the first world war and didn't stop until about 1943 with just the odd isolated example afterwards.

If anything traced it's roots back to 1918, it was maybe actions like the assault on Eban-Emael, but these were tactical not operational in nature.

Germany lost World War I because like everyone else she couldn't solve the essential operational problem of how do I pursue the enemy when my foot infantry moves slower than the trains bringing his reinforcements. The combustion engine answered that issue, but the Germans did nothing fundamentally different with it. They merely found that it allowed them to practise traditional German doctrine and operational method with more success.

At the tactical level, it is reasonable to suggest that much of the alleged German supremacy in Combat efficiency at the tactical levels traced it's roots partly back to the empowerment of the NCO and the squad, that resulted from the revolution in Squad infantry tactics that "stormtroop or infilration" tactics wrought in WWI.

At the operational level, Blitzkrieg was merely German operational method (the war of movement) alive and well because the combustion engine (not Tanks as Panzer Divisions were all Arms forces) gave them the ability to move quickly. Blitzkrieg didn't work because of infiltration tactics, it worked because it restored German mobility and allowed them to do what they trained for, move quickly and rapidly, outmaneuver, encircle and annihilate.

quote:

quote:

The next turn, much like you might in TOAW.

quote:

In TOAW you can exploit in the same turn. By next turn the opportunity will have vanished. Conclusion: WEGO doesn't allow exploitation. IGOUGO does.

But if a Division advances and uses up half its MP before creating a gap in the line because the enemy RBC, you can exploit with other units with full MP despite the fact the "success" didn't occur technically until half way through the turn. This is artificial and completely unrealistic.

Also, by next turn the opportunity will not have disappeared. This is WEGO. As your unit forces the gap, the enemy reacts to it at the same time you do. He doesn't react whilst you sit quietly waiting for the PBEM file to come back. In other words, force a gap, and it is still there at the end of the turn. The advantage of WEGO is that you and the enemy Commander react to it simultaneously (which is realistic I would suggest).

quote:

quote:

It's independent of scale. Once again, we're told that unit commanders are blind and brainless. Their superiors can't communicate with them, and can't make a decision even if they could. It's a silly model, but he's sticking to it.

See above, what examples would you provide to show my model is silly?

It is one thing to call it a silly model, but another to prove it apparently as your evidence and source notes are very thin on the ground. I have cited VIII Corp during Goodwood, Wood in Lorraine, Patton at Argentan, Guderian in Russia. I'm happy to sort out some more if it would help. The only example mildly in your favour is the one I provided of Guderian on the Meuse, but then he moved with the implicit approval of his higher Command after resigning and being reinstated.

It isn't silly, it is realistic. How quickly do you think Commanders can turn around formations numbering tens of thousands of men, with sometimes thousands of vehicles, with lengthy logistics chains and poor roads? The Russians never really tried it. the British never did, neither did the US. How do you wheel these forces around when there is another friendly army in contact on your right flank and another on your left flank and the enemy in front?

Patton was awarded God like status for pre-preparing plans to move north against the Bulge in 44, but even with this preparedness, it still took forty eight hours to get the show on the road. If the Staff work had been required first, how much longer would it have taken? In TOAW it is instantaneous. In CA, you have to plan it, at Army level and half week turns, it would take between 1 hour and 3.5 days in CA. how is this unrealistic? In some ways it could be too quick.

Armies are like supertankers, they don't turn on a "dime". Even if they could, they can't turn wherever they choose without blundering into another super tanker and running adrift.

What examples would you cite to show formations at all levels (or even any level) changing tack because of subordinate decision at odds with his Commanding Officer's direction? How long did it take? Note Patton did it WITH higher direction because Ike approved the plan.

quote:

quote:

Linear tactics means the men form up into lines. Not exactly shoulder-to-shoulder like Napoleon did it, by WWI, but loosely in a line. By WWII they simply didn't do this. I expect you mean something else, but exactly what, I don't know.

I didn't use the word tactics. I meant that American Commanders tended to line everything they had up and drive the enemy back on a broad front. The British concentrated powerful formations up on a narrow front and drove a wedge into enemy lines. This concentration of effort never resulted in them penetrating into the depth of the enemy defences and roaming about al a Rommel, though, because they commanded from the top down and did not give subordinate Commanders the right to ponce about as they saw fit.

quote:

quote:

quote:

For static, see the Western Front from about 1915-1917. At 15km/hex, not one single hex would have changed hands over that period. That's static! Why was WWII so relatively fluid? Because of infiltration principles.

It was fluid because of the combustion engine. The combustion engine allowed Armies to cross distance at speed before the enemy could react. It really is as simple as that. Whenever breakthroughs were engineered in WWI, Armies could not march through quickly because they had to drag their arty with them and arty (like Cavalry - the traditional exploitation arm) couldn't get forward over terrain chewed up by battle. This allowed the defender to bus in reserves over the train network and rebuild the line before the penetration was very deep.

The combustion engine (allied with caterpillar tracks) allowed strong combined arms forces to go anywhere at speed. this prevented the congealing of the line and gave warfare a mobile and fluid phase until armoured forces outran their logistics and were forced to halt, which was what generally allowed the defending forces to rebiuld a front line.

If you want more examples (do you have any for anything by the way?) see the western front in 44 when logistical issues stopped the Allies, anything the Russians ever did, and the Germans in Russia in 1941.

quote:

quote:

No it wasn't true at all scales.

quote:

Sure it was. Look at what you're saying. At the start of every turn, every operational factor is subject to complete revision however the players want. But, within the turn nothing is. (And then you claim you can adapt WEGO to any scale.) It's simply absurd. Your entire theory is driven entirely by what WEGO permits.

So, completely revising every operational factor on a hex by hex basis without the enemy reacting and with real time Staff orders devised instantaneously allowing entire Army Groups to change direction if a weak point is identified is what exactly?

WEGO builds in a historically verificable and very realistic delay of anything between 1 hour and the upper end of the scale. It also requires and simulates top down control which (all my examples show) was the norm.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't say it was exactly like that, just roughly like it.

But it isn't roughly like that either.

quote:

There will definitely be a PO vs. PO tinge to WEGO.

We've gone from roughly to a "tinge".

quote:

Players will recognize silly things they see the PO doing in their games now - like the "ships-passing-in-the-night" thing I listed above.

But the PO does that because it is following it's logic based on its objective track if I remember my scenario design flirtation correctly. You get to amend the objective track on a turn by turn basis in CA.

quote:

My initial claim was that units in WEGO will be more or less like mindless robots.

In other words, they followed their orders until higher command gave them new ones or revised old ones. How many examples do we currently have of that from real life in this thread alone?

quote:

You haven't done much, if anything, to dispel that impression. Rather, you're sticking to the ridiculous position that commanders really were mindless robots.

No, I am citing example after example after example of units acting on their orders. Commanders were not midless, but they were subordinates to someone else. They did not generally revise their orders because to do so threw the plans of a higher ranking Officer into disarray.

You are merely telling me this is ridiculous but providing no evidence to back that assertion. A single example would not prove your point as you want to write rules based on this assertion so really need to prove it was the majority rule (which requires multiple examples).

However, you start multiple examples with a single one, and then another and then another etc....

Where would you like to start? One will be enough to begin with, we don't want anyone to get dizzy .

regards,
IronDuke

Post #: 287
RE: Defending a river line - 10/25/2007 9:00:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think this just about sums up this entire long-winded post. It is beyond ridiculous.

But Curtis, surely you appreciate that whilst I back up my contention with logic, reason and real world examples, all you do is say "It is ridiculous".

On the contrary, I provided the clear exception of infiltration. You, on the other hand, for all your mountanous verbage, haven't provided a shred of evidence that there is some mysterious eight-hour void where no military decisions can be made.

You do admit that, at least, squads can do something other than act like zombies. They at least can coordinate and manuver against unplanned obsticles. But, somehow, above the rank of leutenant, no officer can do anything other than salute and watch his forces launch unsupported peicemeal frontal attacks until the turn ends.

quote:

quote:

Your misreading of history simply consists of oversimplifing the action.

Beware of the man who tells you you're misreading history but won't get into specifics because it is beneath him.

No. It is simply not necessary. You haven't presented any evidence where you've looked deeply enough into the action to prove that every company, battalion, and regiment acted like mindless robots. Meanwhile, at the scales of Divisions, corps, and armies, you haven't expanded the time scale enough to be meaningful. You would need to show that those units couldn't revise their plans over the course of several days to weeks.

quote:

Not in CA, if it is crushed on it's first advance, it won't reach it's second planned attack. How can it since it's suffered a bad tactical defeat.

It sure will try. Whether it can or not depends upon its condition. The point is that there can be no re-evaluation of the situation after any combat. The plan will proceed regardless of any combat results until the turn ends.

quote:

quote:

But that isn't infiltration tactics.

But it is infiltration. The infiltration principles can be applied at any scale. In fact, Ludendorf was critisized after the 1918 offensives failed, for not following his own infiltration princples. He tried to redeam failure in the northern part of Michael rather than exploit success in the southern part. The Stosstruppen successes were only partly due to tactics. It was an operational revolution too.

quote:

Blitzkrieg meant nothing to the Germans, it was a word that simply didn't feature in their Military vocabulary.

Pure semantics. What difference does it make what they called it?

quote:

At the tactical level, it is reasonable to suggest that much of the alleged German supremacy in Combat efficiency at the tactical levels traced it's roots partly back to the empowerment of the NCO and the squad, that resulted from the revolution in Squad infantry tactics that "stormtroop or infilration" tactics wrought in WWI.

Most other nations also adapted the same tactics to one extent or another over the course of the war. It's a big part of why WWII was so much more fluid than WWI.

quote:

At the operational level, Blitzkrieg was merely German operational method (the war of movement) alive and well because the combustion engine (not Tanks as Panzer Divisions were all Arms forces) gave them the ability to move quickly. Blitzkrieg didn't work because of infiltration tactics, it worked because it restored German mobility and allowed them to do what they trained for, move quickly and rapidly, outmaneuver, encircle and annihilate.

All of that includes application of the infiltration principles. The Allies had large tank forces in 1918, but it didn't result in Blitzkrieg. And it wouldn't have resulted in it in 1940 for them either, despite just as much motorization as the Germans. They had to be taught by the Germans first. The Germans had enjoyed great operational success with infiltration principles in 1917 and 1918. They wouldn't just forget them. It was the combination of mechanization with infiltration that resulted in Blitzkrieg.

quote:

WEGO builds in a historically verificable and very realistic delay of anything between 1 hour and the upper end of the scale.

Let's examine this in detail and see how absurd it becomes.

First, let's build a scenario @ 1km/hex, 8-hour turns, and company-sized units. The company units are formed up into battalion formations, which in turn form up into regiments, into divisions, with perhaps one full corps as the entire force. Now, every eight hours, all operational factors can be revised however the players desire. That's true for every company, battalion, regiment, division, and the corps. But within each 8-hour turn, nothing can be revised.

Second, let's build a scenario @ 10km/hex, half-week turns, and regiment-sized units. The regiment units are formed up into division formations, which in turn form up into corps, into armies, with perhaps one full army-group as the entire force. Now, every half-week, all operational factors can be revised however the players desire. That's true for every regiment, division, corps, army, and the army-group. But within each half-week turn, nothing can be changed.

But wait a minute! In the first example, the regiments, divisions, and corps could revise their plans every eight hours. In the second, those same formations must wait 84 hours to make changes. How can that be? A regiment is a regiment regardless of whether it's modeled with one unit or nine.

And, of course, this same absurdity can be found across any other scale combinations tried. That's because there really isn't any basis for the command void that WEGO causes. It's the way WEGO functions that's driving Iron Duke's claims. WEGO requires units to function as mindless robots so that's how he's going to claim they actually functioned in reality. It's hogwash.

quote:

quote:

Players will recognize silly things they see the PO doing in their games now - like the "ships-passing-in-the-night" thing I listed above.

But the PO does that because it is following it's logic based on its objective track if I remember my scenario design flirtation correctly. You get to amend the objective track on a turn by turn basis in CA.

But they still have to follow that track for the duration of the turn. They will ignore that enemy unit moving past them, if it is off their track. They are, after all, mindless robots.

Post #: 288
RE: Defending a river line - 10/25/2007 9:53:42 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

First, let's build a scenario @ 1km/hex, 8-hour turns, and company-sized units. The company units are formed up into battalion formations, which in turn form up into regiments, into divisions, with perhaps one full corps as the entire force. Now, every eight hours, all operational factors can be revised however the players desire. That's true for every company, battalion, regiment, division, and the corps. But within each 8-hour turn, nothing can be revised.

Second, let's build a scenario @ 10km/hex, half-week turns, and regiment-sized units. The regiment units are formed up into division formations, which in turn form up into corps, into armies, with perhaps one full army-group as the entire force. Now, every half-week, all operational factors can be revised however the players desire. That's true for every regiment, division, corps, army, and the army-group. But within each half-week turn, nothing can be changed.

But wait a minute! In the first example, the regiments, divisions, and corps could revise their plans every eight hours. In the second, those same formations must wait 84 hours to make changes. How can that be? A regiment is a regiment regardless of whether it's modeled with one unit or nine.

And, of course, this same absurdity can be found across any other scale combinations tried. That's because there really isn't any basis for the command void that WEGO causes. It's the way WEGO functions that's driving Iron Duke's claims. WEGO requires units to function as mindless robots so that's how he's going to claim they actually functioned in reality. It's hogwash.

quote:

quote:

But they still have to follow that track for the duration of the turn. They will ignore that enemy unit moving past them, if it is off their track. They are, after all, mindless robots.

I think all these points apply with equal validity to the virtually completely inert defenders in an IGYG system. After all, with eight hour turns, we're saying the defender can react after eight hours. With half-week turns, we're saying it takes him half a week to react.

IGYG denies flexibility and responsiveness to the defender while giving it to the attacker. WEGO denies these abilities impartially to both. Why the former is superior to the latter escapes me.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 289
RE: Defending a river line - 10/25/2007 11:51:53 PM   
vahauser

Colin,

As far as I can tell, then what this means is that the scenario designer must choose his game-scale with great care, in order to give both the attacker and the defender reasonable chances to react. 

This seems to indicate that, in general, 5km and 10km hexes and 1-day turns, 15km and 20km hexes and 1/2-week turns, and 25km hexes and weekly turns give the best "balance" between attacker and defender given TOAW's IGYG game-engine.

It also seems to indicate that the game engine is not very well suited to 2.5km and 50km hexes.

Post #: 290
RE: Defending a river line - 10/26/2007 3:14:45 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

On the contrary, I provided the clear exception of infiltration. You, on the other hand, for all your mountanous verbage, haven't provided a shred of evidence that there is some mysterious eight-hour void where no military decisions can be made.

No, you didn't. With respect, you invented a definition of infiltration tactics completely divorced from historical reality. Have you read Gudmundsson? You have an idea of infiltration tactics which is at odds with reality. Therefore, your exception doesn't count because it doesn't mean anything because you don't understand the terms you are bandying about.

I repeat: Infiltration tactics (also sometimes known as Stormtroop tactics or even Hutier tactics - rather unfairly) were a German solution to the issue of trench warfare. Small groups of heavily armed men moving through the depth of a trench system suppressing and destroying positions in a fluid battle that permitted them to bypass and isolate individual weapons pit or trench sections if they so chose. Those bypassed trenches would be dealt with by a second wave. the bypass was very temporary and tactical not operational.

The success of these tactics didn't give Germany an operational victory which further undermines your assumption this was something of a revolution in operational art.

You simply don't understand what infiltration tactics are: Reinforcing success etc is an old operational concept divorced from this tactical realm. To Military historians (even ones as amateur as me) infiltration tactics don't mean what you think they do.

I'd be happy to consider any historical references in the secondary literature you could cite, but since I'm guessing that is not going to happen...

quote:

You do admit that, at least, squads can do something other than act like zombies. They at least can coordinate and manuver against unplanned obsticles. But, somehow, above the rank of leutenant, no officer can do anything other than salute and watch his forces launch unsupported peicemeal frontal attacks until the turn ends.

But nothing a squad does (and I mean absolutely nothing) impacts on the operational level map. This argument that Officers did as they please is still unsupported by any real life examples. I have given you numerous examples using the most independent Commanders the americans ever had where they sdubordinated their own deicison making to the will of their Commanders.

All you can keep saying is that they wouldn't have acted like Zombies, something you repeat ad infinitum. I have no problem with your argument save that so obvious is it to history that you have so far been unable to provide a single example of someone doing what was clearly always the case (if you are to be believed).

quote:

No. It is simply not necessary. You haven't presented any evidence where you've looked deeply enough into the action to prove that every company, battalion, and regiment acted like mindless robots. Meanwhile, at the scales of Divisions, corps, and armies, you haven't expanded the time scale enough to be meaningful. You would need to show that those units couldn't revise their plans over the course of several days to weeks.

Beware the man who says an evidenced based discussion is not necessary...

But you can revise plans over these sorts of scales in WEGO so what is the problem? All the revision would also be top down like WEGO (and indeed IGOUGO) would and does simulate. There is nothing in WEGO that wouldn't allow plans to be changed over the course of "several days to weeks".

As for every company, battalion and Regiment, you miss the point that they get orders. If they are unable to complete those orders they don't simply invent new ones for themselves, they refer to higher command.

Paulus didn't fail to take Stalingrad and decide to drive deep into the caucasus instead. His lowest Platoon Commander did not fail to take the grain elevator at the Tractor factory or wherever and suddenly decide to "liberate" the big Department Store instead. His Regimental Commanders didn't suddenly decide that it would be too difficult to liberate the cement works and that the residential district might be a safer bet for his lads.

We could even test this. Why don't you randomly pick an engagement and we could delve into it as a forum to see how much of this spontaneity existed?

What is more pertinent perhaps, is that after accusing me of not delving deep enough, you haven't actually provided any examples yourself. In other words, you don't actually have anything other than your "feel" that units behave the way you say they do. Therefore, you're ignoring the examples I am providing to order based on what, exactly? It certainly can't be evidence. You are not providing contrary examples, merely questioning the basis of mine. You want a game engine based on one man's unevidenced instinct.

quote:

It sure will try. Whether it can or not depends upon its condition. The point is that there can be no re-evaluation of the situation after any combat. The plan will proceed regardless of any combat results until the turn ends.

Yes, but you say this without providing any supporting examples of units getting defeated and decided to do something completely different without reference to higher command and in a very quick timescale.

quote:

But it is infiltration. The infiltration principles can be applied at any scale.

But what are infiltration principles?

You see what gets me most is that you now seem to be implicitly admitting that you didn't call infiltration tactics correctly (since they are now not tactics but principles), but that you seem to lack the grace to admit this point.

whatever....

But now you have invented a whole new Military axiom called "infiltration principles" to bring to the party. What are these: Well, these seem to be operational decisions about the committment of reserves. Curtis goes on....

quote:

In fact, Ludendorf was critisized after the 1918 offensives failed, for not following his own infiltration princples. He tried to redeam failure in the northern part of Michael rather than exploit success in the southern part. The Stosstruppen successes were only partly due to tactics. It was an operational revolution too.

You seem to want to dig all the way to Australia on this issue. Let me quote from the conclusions of Gudmundsson:

quote:

That the exellence that was achieved in the realm of tactics did not win the war for Germany does not make the revolution that occurred between 1914 and 1918 any less significant. Good tactics, after all, are worthless unless the battles that are won with them are combined to make a successful campaign and the campaigns are fought in a way that supports strategic goals.

In other words, the successes gained with the new tactics were divorced from the operational sphere because the Germans got this sphere very badly wrong. He goes on:

quote:

No tactical system, however, could solve the fundamental operational problem that the German Army faced in the west - the fact that the enemy's railroads and motor transport columns could always bring up more fresh troops.

Bold mine.

In other words, Ludendorff launched an offensive that largely drifted in direction because he had no clear goals. He had also not solved with his tactical improvements the essential operational problem. However, his Stosstruppen, well versed in infiltration tactics did provide him with the open field he needed by winning tactical battles at the trench line. He just failed to win the operational fight. Infiltration tactics were not operational. Gudmundsson again:

quote:

In 1918, the German Infantry could use Stormtroop tactics to tear gaps...As long as the following formations depended on muscle power for mobility, however, these holes could never be turned into war winning victories.

I can't do any more than lead you to this, you have to drink yourself.

quote:

Blitzkrieg meant nothing to the Germans, it was a word that simply didn't feature in their Military vocabulary.

quote:

Pure semantics. What difference does it make what they called it?

Because they didn't call it anything new. It was simply what they had always done: concentrate at a point of main effort (generally termed a Schwerpunkt) breakthrough and then maneuver to encircle (the final battle of encirclement generally being known as a Kesselschacht or Cauldron battle). The only difference was that the combustion engine had given them a way of exploiting quickly the tactical success that the combined arms Panzer division had delivered them.

quote:

quote:

Most other nations also adapted the same tactics to one extent or another over the course of the war. It's a big part of why WWII was so much more fluid than WWI.

No, they didn't adopt them. Do you have any evidence for this? If you can prove it, I think we can sell millions of books and overturn accepted history with this.

At best, Allied Armies produced Trench raiders (for want of a better word) during WWI who would attack in small groups with lots of grenades using speed and surprise to deliver their force, but the British, Americans and French really adopted alternative methods throughout both wars of fighting. It was generally high explosive and technology based. The pre-conditions for infiltration tactics never really existed in the Allied Armies like they did within the German Army. there were exceptions I suppose like Rangers or Commandos in the second world war but these are tactical not operational units so irrelevant to the point.

As for the second world war, if you are unable to see fundamental differences between the German approach and the Allied approaches to warfare then I can't help you, I really can't. I fail to see how you can model or design anything if you think the only difference between Montgomery and Bradley on the one hand and Rommel on the other was a language.

You suffer from an utter failure to understand the operational and doctrinal conditions in which the two sides operated. It really is as simple as that.

Either that or you are a truly inspired visionary who has (you heard it here first) invented "infiltration principles". You must have invented it as a Military term because when I typed this phrase into google, I got lots of links about rain water and drainage.

quote:

quote:

All of that includes application of the infiltration principles. The Allies had large tank forces in 1918, but it didn't result in Blitzkrieg.

That was because those Tanks only moved at 4 miles an hour. They weren't an operational weapon but a tactical one. As I keep trying to explain, the essential problem of WWI was mobility and exploitation. you can't exploit more quickly than infantry with a weapon that doesn't move any quicker than infantry does.

The average walking speed of humans is 4 MPH. How can you blitz with something that doesn't move any quicker than what you had originally? German tanks breaking through in 1918 would not have needed to say "see you in Paris, Lads" to the accompanying infantry because the accompanying infantry would have walked alongside them all the way.

You have to think this through, Curtis, you really do.

You're conjuring up supporting concepts without thinking about what those concepts really mean. It's simple. Tanks allowed "blitzkrieg" in 1940 because they could go relatively fast. They didn't allow it in 1918 because they crawled along and kept breaking down.

The difference between the success of 1917/18 Tanks and 1940 Tanks in the operational sphere is not some Pauline conversion amongst the Wehrmacht to "infiltration principles" but improvements in the combustion engine which allowed long standing German Operational thinking to work by giving German Maneuver the necessary weapon (Armour otherwise known as combustion engines allied to guns) to allow them to maneuver quicker than their opponents could react.

"Infiltration principles" could have been engraved on the heart of every German in uniform in 1940 (assuming you had been born 50 years earlier to teach them), but if his tanks had been of 1918 vintage it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. "Blitzkrieg" would have floundered as German infantry pushed their steel beasts to Dunkirk.

Infiltration principles did not make Armour capable of Blitzkrieg, period.

quote:

And it wouldn't have resulted in it in 1940 for them either, despite just as much motorization as the Germans.

Absolutely, but for different reasons. In 1940, operational method in the respective forces was very different. The Allies never practised German operational method. They won WWII with their own methods. Indeed, defences evolved over the course of the war in response to the danger of a quick breakthrough making aping the Germans ever more difficult (not that it was really attempted).

That said, Monty was never interested in operational maneuver in the enemy rear for various military and geo-political reasons and neither were the majority of American Commanders who had been brought up in an operational method that involved the relentless application of force.

Patton's great sweeping charges in Normandy and Sicily essentially resulted from a lack of opposition rather than any doctrinal attachment within the American Army to blitzkrieg (whatever that was). the American fascination with it would come later.

The French operational method treated the tank as a tactical not operational weapon. The Russians treated it as an operational weapon, but with methods that Allied Armies would have found difficult to put into practice.

quote:

They had to be taught by the Germans first.

If true, why did Allied operational method never resemble German operational method? Like I said, you are outside your comfort zone with this. These posts are getting longer because you are misuing all sorts of military phrases and notations and forcing me to correct before counter arguing.

quote:

The Germans had enjoyed great operational success with infiltration principles in 1917 and 1918. They wouldn't just forget them. It was the combination of mechanization with infiltration that resulted in Blitzkrieg.

No it wasn't. Blitzkrieg was a combination of the combustion engine (I note you now say "mechanisation" rather than "Tanks" - another change in approach that you don't admit to explicitly) with traditional German doctrine. It was as simple as that.

Your own words are starting to contradict each other as well as you semantically charge about looking for the exit.

quote:

WEGO builds in a historically verificable and very realistic delay of anything between 1 hour and the upper end of the scale.

quote:

Righty ho...

quote:

Curtis, it's about scale. In the first example, units revised their orders every eight hours because in general they got orders that only required eight hours to undertake. It is true you can set orders within CA for as many hours as you want, but Commanders will not generally set them for more than eight for playability reasons.

In the second example, at bigger scales, more time moving between objectives etc, the units are getting orders taking longer to complete so don't get or require more revision than that. If you're resorted to criticising the basic principles of scaling in order to get in a dig, things can't be going well.

You're not thinking this through, you're just driven to prove your pet theories correct come what may. In your first example, it might take 20 mins to cross a hex, that equivalent time will be over three hours in your second example. Battles will take longer to resolve, units longer to respond because they are bigger etc.

You don't need to revise orders every eight hours at the larger scales because your forces haven't moved as far or maybe done anything in that time frame.

This is an argument, I suppose, for ensuring continuity of scale and time, but that is just as true in TOAW where playing with Regiments at 2.5km a hex or Divisions at one day timescales can be a little distorted.

quote:

And, of course, this same absurdity can be found across any other scale combinations tried. That's because there really isn't any basis for the command void that WEGO causes.

That's because no command void really exists. WWII armies were not real time, it is as simple as that. The Germans were generally quicker than anyone else and you could argue need some advantages in this regard (which the game mechanics can allow designers to simulate anyhow with certain rules) but units failing to complete orders didn't invent new ones. they got direction from higher command.

quote:

It's the way WEGO functions that's driving Iron Duke's claims. WEGO requires units to function as mindless robots so that's how he's going to claim they actually functioned in reality. It's hogwash.

Incorrect. It is an assertion that is only hogwash if someone comes up with historical evidence to the contrary. Your post seems a little lite of any historical examples for anything really.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No they won't ignore them because we have friction which prevents units just grinding past each other without comment. We have artillery and air interdiction that makes such movement tricky and to be fair, we can find examples if we want to of units doing precisely this anyway.

Take Dubno. A massive soviet armoured counterattack closes in on the German thrust and the Panzers in the vanguard keep pressing east.

We also have a reserve order called "movement" which allows units with reserve orders to react to enemy movement coming towards them.

Indeed, at the 1 km level, much of this movement will be out of LOS of the unit they pass anyway (as I said, pass in the neighbouring hex and friction takes hold). These anomalies are not unrealistic. At the operational level, they only look strange because intel generally allows the Commander to see everything that his units can't. His iondiovidual units in real life wouldn;t see these units anyway, and if their movement scuppers a General's plans, he couldn't reorientate his entire force in five minutes to deal with them anyway, things don't move that quickly.

That would be the final point in favour of CA's WEGO. You may decide you need to react to something after watching the first hour of a turn unfold, but you can't react to things that fast. Doctrinally, some Armies struggle to respond at all (the French were a good example). By waiting until the next orders phase, you are simulating the fact the Commander needs to consult his Staff about what is avialable to counter, ascertain where that unit is, establish contact, give fresh orders, have the newly ordered unit draw up a plan, have it pass that plan to its subordinates and have them put the plans into effect.

Remember, if the event to be reacted to occurred late in the turn, you get to respond immediately anyway. If you don't you are getting some appreciation of how reality works since the wait to the end of the turn is arguably simulating correctly the delay between intent and execution.

Post #: 291
RE: Defending a river line - 10/27/2007 6:17:42 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

WEGO requires units to function as mindless robots . . . It's hogwash.

Mr. Cross has stated that movement of WEGO units is the movement of “mindless robot” units. I think that this is a statement that could only be made by a person who is totally naive of the nature of combat, and has no understanding of the real movement of field units.

I call out Mr. Cross to name the WEGO system(s) he has played and provide examples to support his contention that WEGO results in movement of “mindless robots”.

I also call out Mr. Cross to provide veteran experience to support his claims.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 292
RE: Defending a river line - 10/27/2007 8:05:28 AM   
ColinWright

Rhinobones flings down the gauntlet. I believe tradition accords Sir Cross his choice of weapons. Will it be citation and explication for twelve paragraphs, or invective at dawn?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 293
RE: Defending a river line - 10/27/2007 12:46:20 PM   
Veers

quote:

Rhinobones flings down the gauntlet. I believe tradition accords Sir Cross his choice of weapons. Will it be citation and explication for twelve paragraphs, or invective at dawn?

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

Post #: 294
RE: Defending a river line - 10/28/2007 6:16:29 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

I had expected a response by now. Maybe it is an "inactive" at dawn.

Or, maybe he is now playing a WEGO game in order to discover if there really are mindless robots on the battle field.

Regards, RhinoBones

Post #: 295
RE: Defending a river line - 10/28/2007 10:16:29 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

What a response!!!

Good to know that WEGO is alive and well.

Regards, RhinoBpnes

The Jehovah's Witnesses are also alive and well.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/28/2007 10:17:40 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 296
RE: Defending a river line - 10/31/2007 6:42:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Pardon my absence. I was in Mexico.

For some examples of units functioning sentiently, let’s examine the Normandy Campaign in some detail.

First, Utah Beach, day one:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2056.htm

The important thing to note about Utah is that the 4th Division landed at the wrong place. The actual scheduled landing site was more than a mile south of where they actually landed. It was no problem. The plan (for a full division) was revised on the spot and they carried on from there. A similar problem faced the paratroops, since most had scattered far from their drop zones. Again, it was no problem. In fact, note from the map that the paratroops and the 4th Division have combined to envelop a German strongpoint by the end of the day. In fact, most movements and end positions appear dependent more upon the discovered locations of enemy forces, not arbitrary map locations.

Second, Omaha Beach, day one:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2057.htm

This is the most telling case. Here you see classic infiltration principles applied by companies, battalions, and even regiments. The map shows three time snapshots, the landings at about 7:00am, the penetrations reached by noon, and the end-of-day final locations.

Note the breadth of the landings. They uniformly cover the entire length of the beach shown on the map. Contrast that to the four narrow penetrations achieved by noon. You don’t see each platoon trying to create its own personal penetration of the German position. Rather, once one penetration had been achieved, all nearby units shifted to exploit that success, abandoning their own efforts. (Remember the infiltration principle: Exploit Success, Abandon Failure! Here it is to the letter.) This allowed each penetration to be expanded and exploited. Note that exactly where a successful breach would occur could not be known in advance. The assault had to be revised on the spot to exploit any successful breach. That’s infiltration.

More infiltration principles were applied in the afternoon, as the penetrations were exploited. Note how units fanned out relative to each other. Note that the left penetration was exploited to the left and the right penetration was exploited to the right. The central penetrations were exploited in both directions. That seems to be the obvious move based upon what we see in the map at that point. But remember that the invasion was planned without foreknowledge of where the penetrations would occur. If either the right or left penetration had been the only one to succeed, the correct exploitation would have been to fan out from it in both directions. Clearly, their exploitation was devised from knowledge that the other penetrations had occurred. And, note the efforts to get into the rear of German strongpoints and their ending locations (none of which could have been known in advance) and seal off their escape.

Third, the COBRA breakthrough:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2062.htm

Now we’re at the brigade scale (typically half-week turns), and we still see classic exploitation principles applied, with a clear fan out from the breach in the German lines. Note how the exploitation was greater to the east of the breakout than the west – hardly something that would have been planned in advance. There is no question that the two armored divisions were exploiting the path of least resistance.

Fourth, the exploitation of the breakthrough:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2063.htm

Now we’re at the division scale (typically full-week turns), and only about three days past the last situation. But note that the breakthrough changed from a fan-out to a von-Schlieffen Plan type pivot. But there is a more important point here than the change in the exploitation. Note the coordination necessary to maintain a frontline as the exploitation develops. Clearly, Avranches is the prize. But could the units speeding for it have done so, if the 1st Division (and others) weren’t covering their flanks?

Think about how difficult it is for the PO to maintain a solid front. That’s because it moves each unit towards its objectives more or less oblivious to how other friendly units are faring. You will often see a spearhead move far ahead of any flank protection, leaving it very vulnerable to human reaction. Pre-plotted orders will work even worse. What if the 1st Division had been balked by an enemy unit or forced to reorganize? In the IGOUGO world, some other division on the way to Avranches would have been split off to take its place. Not so in the WEGO world. And this is just part of the coordination issue with WEGO. There will be no coordination against enemy units encountered during a turn, either.

Finally, the Breakout:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/ww2%20europe/ww2%20europe%20pages/ww2%20europe%20map%2064.htm

Now we’re at the corps scale (always full-week turns, at least). Although the evidence of exploitation is obvious, the more important point here is that the long established plan was for the major effort past Avranches to be towards the Brittany ports, and that’s what Patton’s initial instructions on August 1st were. But Ike changed his mind by August 2nd. The Germans, instead of shifting forces to contain the breakout, were attempting a counterstrike to cut it off at Avranches instead. This created an exploitation opportunity east of the breakout that couldn’t be passed up. Bradley changed the plan on a dime the next day, telling Patton to clear Brittany with “a minimum of forces”. Everything else was to go east.

As an aside, there is also the example of the 4th Armored Division. It’s commander, John Wood, was convinced from the start of the Brittany operation, that it was the wrong way to go. He felt his unit should be heading east, not west. He first effected that as he went around Rennes, by sending forces east against orders. He managed to persuade his corps commander, but not Patton, and was forced to back track. Stuck sitting next to Lorient, he proposed taking Nantes (as an excuse to move east). Only after taking Nantes was his persistent efforts to drive east agreed to. By that time, only a handful of Wood’s troops remained in Brittany. Wood had already sent most of his division to the east.

Conclusions:

What we’ve seen in these examples are infiltration principles being applied at the company, battalion, regiment, brigade, division, and even corps scales. Contrary to earlier claims, it is not limited to just individuals and squads. We’ve seen plans for large forces revised on the spot. We’ve seen coordination of forces during exploitation actions. We’ve even seen officers using their own best judgement to deviate from their superior’s orders. What we’ve seen is sentient behavior, and a complete lack of mindless robotic behavior. And, frankly, I shouldn’t even have had to post this. It was as obvious as the nose on your face. Commanders are sentient beings, as are their superiors. Their forces obviously function sentiently. The bizarre claim that units actually function like mindless robots was, of course, false.

Now, I suppose if we examined less exploitative situations, like Operation Goodwood, we might be hard pressed to see clear evidence of sentience. That was a grinding, WWI-like, offensive, and things developed relatively slowly. But, I have to ask, what does WEGO add to an operation like Goodwood? Think of the situation: The Germans are in a positional defense and the British are attacking it. That’s something IGOUGO is perfect for. The British attack in their player turn, then the Germans attend to their defenses in their turn. WEGO probably doesn’t cause much harm, but it can’t add much either.

The entire rationale for WEGO was for situations where both forces were shifting their forces simultaneously. Those are exactly the exploitative situations I’ve just examined. Yet, as we’ve seen, in those high flux situations, operational orders are changing the fastest, and sentient behavior is most necessary. Therefore, those, paradoxically, are the situations where WEGO will work the worst.

I’ll repeat here my original statement: WEGO gets the simultaneous part right but the sentient part wrong. The sentient part is more important.

Post #: 297
RE: Defending a river line - 10/31/2007 6:45:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

WEGO requires units to function as mindless robots . . . It's hogwash.

Mr. Cross has stated that movement of WEGO units is the movement of “mindless robot” units. I think that this is a statement that could only be made by a person who is totally naive of the nature of combat, and has no understanding of the real movement of field units.

I call out Mr. Cross to name the WEGO system(s) he has played and provide examples to support his contention that WEGO results in movement of “mindless robots”.

I also call out Mr. Cross to provide veteran experience to support his claims.

Regards, RhinoBones

All WEGO Systems deny any human intervention once the plots begin execution. That's mindless. Even Iron Duke doesn't deny it. Rather, his contention is that real units really were mindless!

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 298
RE: Defending a river line - 11/1/2007 7:08:26 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Time for a summary:

Any WEGO system, by definition, allows no human intervention during orders execution. That means that there can be no real-time, continuous human reassessment of the operational situation. And there can be no real-time, continuous human revision of operational orders. These are just facts, built into the WEGO concept. It means that WEGO units will function more or less mindlessly – like robots – during the orders void that WEGO imposes.

To deal with this problem, the WEGO apologists have two options:

1. Tout the myriad pre-programmed instructions their units can be given. But all those instructions must be set in advance at the start of the turn, without knowledge of what will be encountered during that turn. And, even all put together, they fall far short of the sophistication that even the PO can apply. And we all know what a blockhead the PO is.

2. Tout the crackbrained, loony-toon claim that military units really are mindless robots. It’s pure hogwash, but I suppose some will swallow it for a while.

These are the flaws of WEGO and they are at least as serious as the flaws of IGOUGO. WEGO is not going to work better than IGOUGO in most cases. In many cases it will probably work worse.

But it gets worse. Not only will WEGO not come through with increased realism, it’s going to provide a much diminished wargaming experience. In IGOUGO players have continuous control of their forces. They have to make continuous reassessments of the operational situation and continuous revisions to operational orders throughout the game turn. It’s real wargaming. In WEGO, players make only the initial assessment of the situation and issue only one set of orders. Then they sit back and watch for the rest of the turn while their mindless robot units do their mindless robot thing. It’s wargaming lite.

While they’re watching, they’ll be screaming at the computer screen as their mindless robots do all the dumb things we see the PO do now, and worse, as they ignore the overall situation while blindly following their pre-programmed instructions to the letter. They will ignore enemy units marching past them. They will fail to envelop enemy units. They will break envelopment of whatever enemy units they manage, miraculously, to envelop. They will send spearheads dangerously beyond any flank or logistical support. They will stop upon encountering trivial units. They will suicidally assault, without support, and without the aid of adjacent units, powerful defenders who should have been avoided. They will be unable to exploit success and abandon failure. They will be unable to take the path of least resistance. Etc., etc. etc.

The blowhard claims by some on this thread that the WEGO CA is going to put the IGOUGO TOAW out of business is a pipe dream. WEGO is a seriously flawed concept. The WEGO apologists ignore those flaws at their peril.

Post #: 299
RE: Defending a river line - 11/1/2007 7:10:00 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Nah. Just some "Raid". It's pest control.

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> RE: Defending a river line Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI