Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 4:06:43 PM   
zhu_kov

I played a lot of wargames but somehow I have this urge and looking forward to play AT whenever I have free time

Maybe it is new but it did not happen with other new games ...

Something is different here but could not pin point the actual reason

< Message edited by zhu_kov -- 10/31/2007 4:08:21 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 5:09:20 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: zhu_kov

I played a lot of wargames but somehow I have this urge and looking forward to play AT whenever I have free time

Ummm... maybe it's because it's the only game you have installed at the moment?

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 2
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 5:56:36 PM   
zhu_kov

Nope , I have more then 10 wargames installed 

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 3
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 7:33:51 PM   
LarryP

I was just teasing you. I figured you had a bunch like the rest of us here.

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 4
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 7:44:51 PM   
Westheim

AT is my only Matrixgames game. Today at work, I spent a total of about an hour thinking about my current game.

No, I had better things to do.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 7:48:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Westheim,

I hope this will be the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Westheim)
Post #: 6
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 10/31/2007 8:36:19 PM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: zhu_kov

I know how you feel :)

Some wargames, although I'll really enjoy playing them, can be complex and time consuming to play, to the point where I almost have to take a deep breath before I load them up, and I'll probably want to have a good few hours available to play to make it worthwhile.

Other, shorter wargames, are better for a quick gaming session but can lack the depth that sometimes I crave. With AT it's pretty scalable in that respect. If I only have an hour to play I can set up a quick 20*20 (or even 10*10 since the patch) map, a small amount of towns and have a nice simple game. Yet if I'm in the mood for something more complex I can play one of the big scenario's or a massive random map with multiple AI's.

Of course you also have the choice between historical and fictional, WWII, or other era's. Accurate or Empire/Civ style gaming!

Add to that the scalable resolutions and low system specs means it'll run on my not so powerful laptop, meaning I get maximum opportunity to play. Despite some comments on the graphics I think they look crisp, clean, functional and attractive without being so flashy that you need a decent graphic card to run.

So for pretty much any mood I'm in, and wherever I am.. AT seems to have it covered.

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 7
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:11:33 AM   
ravinhood

Oh come on you guys you know as well as I do it's just "NEWITUS Syndrome". Another new game and you get the "GOTTA HAVE ITS", it's merely a disease of the brain like an addiction to alcohol, if you have willpower like me you can overcome it this time and every time. ;) The cure and remedy is to go one full year without buying any new retail game and only bargain bin games and you will be cured. Once you realize how easy it is to do this you'll laugh at the thought of how you had to go out and buy anything and everything NEW just because it was new. ;)

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 8
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:20:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Keep telling yourself that, Ravinhood.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:29:01 AM   
ravinhood

Yeah Erik this has been the toughest challenge for me since I forgot when. hehe I'm still waiting on kissmas though I have that much willpower and besides it looks like there's more patching needed with this one which isn't unusual, so, waiting another couple of months it isn't going to disappear now is it? ;)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:38:37 AM   
Motomouse

Lets feed the troll

@ravinhood

When I don´t have enough money available i play happily my old games and I would recommend the game of "go" to everybody short of money for new games, your time spent on that game is never spent in vain.
But when I have got money available for my pleasure, I spend it happily with pleasant anticipation for a quality game on day one .

And If, with the help of my investment, the game is available to you in the bargain bin a few months later, I am glad you will enjoy it too.

Sincerly
Motomouse

< Message edited by Motomouse -- 11/1/2007 1:40:21 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:42:14 AM   
zhu_kov

@Banquet

Yes sir , you hit the jackpot here...I think that why AT it is so different from others ...it so flexible that I can play a short , long , casual or deep game .......

I can play a short game but still have a lot of challenge

I can play a complex and deep game but yet it take away all those "headaches" that usually come with such game

and this not the (NEW GAMES } craze" ...AT is one of a kind and I truly believe that AT should be at home of every wargamers regardless of casual or hardcore...

and yes graphic is a bit down but this is the MOST important factor to keep the system requirement low

< Message edited by zhu_kov -- 11/1/2007 1:46:24 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:45:48 AM   
Motomouse

What´s wrong with a little bit of "new game craze"?

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 13
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:55:44 AM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Oh come on you guys you know as well as I do it's just "NEWITUS Syndrome". Another new game and you get the "GOTTA HAVE ITS", it's merely a disease of the brain like an addiction to alcohol, if you have willpower like me you can overcome it this time and every time. ;) The cure and remedy is to go one full year without buying any new retail game and only bargain bin games and you will be cured. Once you realize how easy it is to do this you'll laugh at the thought of how you had to go out and buy anything and everything NEW just because it was new. ;)

ravinhood, you speak the truth :) I don't dare think about how much money I've spent on computer games in the last 25 years. Yet so few remain in my memory as real classics. I do spend a lot less on computer games as I get older and fussier, but I still buy games that I wish I hadn't. Many are admirable, and in some ways great, but just not fun enough to keep me coming back for more. If you have gone a year without buying a game you have my respect :)

Now and again, though, you get the occasional gem. For me, AT is one of those. I can see quite clearly the area's that it falls down in respect of grognard accuracy, where it may not be described as a graphical masterpiece and other imperfections. However, above all these things, it has that thing which other games so often lack. It's great fun to play! :)

It seems to me the developer spent his time first and foremost making a really well designed game from the ground up. Everything in AT is simple, elegant and works. The chain of command, supply, movement, unit composition, reinforcement, etc. Easy to use and yet it all actually works better than most other wargames that set out to get it right, but somehow lose the big picture along the way.

Of course the by-product of this is it probably won't be the most accurate presentation of the war in the east, or the pacific, or Africa, that's ever been simulated.. but it has balanced realism with pure strategy and playability better than any other game I can think of.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:07:50 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

ravinhood, you speak the truth :) I don't dare think about how much money I've spent on computer games in the last 25 years. Yet so few remain in my memory as real classics. I do spend a lot less on computer games as I get older and fussier, but I still buy games that I wish I hadn't. Many are admirable, and in some ways great, but just not fun enough to keep me coming back for more. If you have gone a year without buying a game you have my respect :)

Now and again, though, you get the occasional gem. For me, AT is one of those. I can see quite clearly the area's that it falls down in respect of grognard accuracy, where it may not be described as a graphical masterpiece and other imperfections. However, above all these things, it has that thing which other games so often lack. It's great fun to play! :)

It seems to me the developer spent his time first and foremost making a really well designed game from the ground up. Everything in AT is simple, elegant and works. The chain of command, supply, movement, unit composition, reinforcement, etc. Easy to use and yet it all actually works better than most other wargames that set out to get it right, but somehow lose the big picture along the way.

Of course the by-product of this is it probably won't be the most accurate presentation of the war in the east, or the pacific, or Africa, that's ever been simulated.. but it has balanced realism with pure strategy and playability better than any other game I can think of.

This is a great reply. You saved me a ton of typing.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 15
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:22:17 AM   
Banquet

heh, thanks :)

Next time it's your turn.. my fingers ache

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:29:43 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Motomouse

Lets feed the troll

@ravinhood

When I don´t have enough money available i play happily my old games and I would recommend the game of "go" to everybody short of money for new games, your time spent on that game is never spent in vain.
But when I have got money available for my pleasure, I spend it happily with pleasant anticipation for a quality game on day one .

And If, with the help of my investment, the game is available to you in the bargain bin a few months later, I am glad you will enjoy it too.

Sincerly
Motomouse

You just couldn't post without calling childish names could you. No you couldn't, but, no matter I expect that out of children. :)

quote:

If you have gone a year without buying a game you have my respect :)

Glad to have your respect because it's been easy for me the last several years to wait for a better price on mainstream as well as just plain ole wargames. I've just come to find they are still going to be there 3 years or so down the road and well if you just put your mind into a sink of buy last years games this year it's easy. So, you're a year behind buying a game so what? It's not like it's going to disappear next year unless of course it's a real flop then you wouldn't want it anyways.

It's like this as I've told before, you must be new to me hehe, there's always going to be patches for a NEW game you know it, I know it everybody knows it, so why buy a game you know is broken before you even open the box? I guess I'm just a realist with more sense than most and have realized if publishers and developers are going to play that game then I can play this game as well and save money doing it and get a BETTER product than most when I do buy it. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 11/1/2007 2:35:09 AM >

(in reply to Motomouse)
Post #: 17
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:31:21 AM   
leastonh1

ravinhood - Sorry, I'm not in the fanclub, so I'm not going to agree with you. I think you spoke a load of rubbish  

It's not newitus (is that a word?) at all really. Ok, maybe it is for the odd one, but I'm willing to bet it isn't for the majority here. I've played PT for over 2yrs and have anticipated this release since 2005, so it's hardly a case of it just being new. I, like most PT players knew this game would be similar in some basic way, but with huge improvements on what was a classic game. PT had its faults, but the basic premise was brilliant and the game had/has a loyal fanbase of people who played the game regularly.

I truly think the unprecedented epidemic of "fanboyism" here over the past few days is simply because from novice to grognard, people are realising that AT is something special. It breaks the traditional mould in so many ways and offers something new and original. Vic hasn't followed the old tried and tested methods. He's done what *he* wanted to do instead. Unlike some I could mention, this game is first and foremost a labour of love, and it shows. Look at how enthusiastic and keen Vic has been with PT (which was freeware!) for so long and now with his support of AT. That says it all to me.

People are just looking through the excellent AAR's and reading what some of the (sometimes jaded and hard to please) veteran players are saying about the game. You can't get a better recommendation than that afaic. People want to know why this game is being received so positively, so they buy it to find out.

Just my 2p worth

Regards,
Jim.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 18
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:32:01 AM   
Awac835

Don't bash "Go" its a great game. I encourage everyone to check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 19
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:34:59 AM   
leastonh1

Go is a great game and extremely hard to play well! I thought chess was complex until I tried Go.

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 20
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:40:28 AM   
ravinhood

Just so you all know I'm not speaking bad about THIS particular game. I liked PT and I'm pretty sure I will like this as well. I'm more relating to the realism that is for most all games these days. Broken out of the box, needs several patches and I won't give 2 cents for them until they are finished patching. Thas all. ;) But, the NEWITUS Syndrome does exist, it's all over the world, something new and people flock to it and being addicted to buying games is as much of a reality as alcohol, just ask any psycholigist. I'm just not one of them I'm happy to say (anymoe lol).

Remember the first sign of being addicted to something is DENYing that you are. :)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 11/1/2007 2:42:25 AM >

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 21
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:49:13 AM   
leastonh1

ravinhood - By the same token, my post wasn't a dig at you per se. It was an observation (complete with smilies). I knew where you were coming from and I disagreed with you, still do in fact.

The thing is, your argument is seriously flawed. By not buying software until it's patched, you are part of the problem. There is no such thing as software without bugs. It's the end users who find the ones that beta testers inevitably miss. This game is by no means broken and most of the problems have been minor or fixed very quickly.

If we all waited for software to be patched before buying, we wouldn't have an OS. You run Windows, don't you? I rest my case.

Again, just my 2p worth

Regards,
Jim

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 22
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 2:54:24 AM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Remember the first sign of being addicted to something is DENYing that you are. :)

I'm not addicted to AT!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 23
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 3:08:41 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

ravinhood - By the same token, my post wasn't a dig at you per se. It was an observation (complete with smilies). I knew where you were coming from and I disagreed with you, still do in fact.

The thing is, your argument is seriously flawed. By not buying software until it's patched, you are part of the problem. There is no such thing as software without bugs. It's the end users who find the ones that beta testers inevitably miss. This game is by no means broken and most of the problems have been minor or fixed very quickly.

If we all waited for software to be patched before buying, we wouldn't have an OS. You run Windows, don't you? I rest my case.

Again, just my 2p worth

Regards,
Jim

Actually it's those like you with your thinking WHO ARE THE PROBLEM because as long as you keep paying for crap out of the box businesses are going to keep selling it to you. You try to place the problem on those who would FIX it by having publishers and developers put more time into the product and not release such crap that is BROKEN time and time again. So it is I really who rest the truthful case of the matter. You look at things with blind eyes and that is the problem. ;)

Of course just my 2cents also

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 11/1/2007 3:12:57 AM >

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 24
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 4:50:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, thread hijack alert, please get back on topic.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 25
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 5:15:11 AM   
LarryP

Sorry Erik, I deleted my comment. And after so much typing...

< Message edited by LarryP -- 11/1/2007 5:21:22 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 26
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 10:38:43 AM   
zhu_kov

well just to remind everyone , I started this thread to find the reason that I keep looking forward to play AT compare to other games and found my answer in the progress

Again will like to thank the developer for such a fine game

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 27
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 12:07:05 PM   
Vic

thank you zhukov!

soon i will start playing myself a bit more too.. i think i might just start challenging some ladder players soon :)

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 28
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 1:09:51 PM   
seille

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

thank you zhukov!

soon i will start playing myself a bit more too.. i think i might just start challenging some ladder players soon :)

Pls don´t challenge me in the next 1-2 weeks, Vic.
Have 4 running games actually and i could lose the overview.....

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 29
RE: Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? - 11/1/2007 3:51:43 PM   
william64

I know this is not the most macho thing to say, but I love this game.  I can't think of the last time a game allowed so much flexibility and realism at the same time.  You can do almost anything with this game, if you are of moderate intelligence.  If you are a true member of the computer language society, then you can do absolutely anything with this game.

This game is just great.  It was worth the wait.

(in reply to zhu_kov)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Why am I keep looking forward to play this game ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI