Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sox Win!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sox Win! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 7:57:28 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yankees still suck!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 10/29/2007 7:58:30 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 8:04:49 AM   
madorosh

Red letter day for Advanced Squad Leader fans; way to go Curt.

Vebber still sucks, though. So does his sister.

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 9:18:41 AM   
Zap

Yep, Colorado's luck ran out. They just didnt match up.

Post #: 3
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 11:04:01 AM   
ravinhood

I was surprised it was a sweep. I really expected Colorado to give them a challenge. Musta been the can't believe we made it this far jitters. Did you read that A-Rod is also leaving the NY Yankees? He turned down what would have amounted to 150 million dollar deal over 5 years. Even Papi said he wouldn't turn down 30 million a year. I never liked A-Rod though so I hope he goes to some really crappy team like Pittsburg hahaha

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 4
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 5:48:32 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Agreed that the Yanquis suck, but a $145m payroll beating up on a $55m payroll doesn't really do it for me personally. Let's face it when you throw $70m at a mediocrity just to fill a hole in the line up and throw $100m at a someone who's never pitched in the majors you aren't just like the Yanquis, you are the Yanquis.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 6:28:50 PM   
ravinhood

Well, we've seen what the salary cap did to football and some of the great dynasties of the past becoming mediocre at best like the SF 49ers and Oakland Raiders and Miami Dolphins and even the Dallas Cowboys and Minn Vikings. Do we really want to see that in baseball? I mean the Yankees are a team you love to hate. Boston went nearly 100 years before winning it all again even with all that money. Money in baseball really only buys last years statistics, as you can see by the Yankees this year it is no promise that you'll win it all. I'd really hate baseball to lose that "Damn Yankees" feeling to it myself.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 6
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 7:58:31 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Money in football and baseball are different. Given that the major source for football of revenue (national tv contracts) splits equally amongst all the teams a salary cap was somewhat inevitable. The major source of income for bb teams is the local tv contract, which value is controlled by market size and not split equally. Teams w/ the larger markets (and larger cable contracts) will hold on to that money w/ a kungfu monkey-like death grip before they share it . . . at least until seat prices rise so high fewer people attend and fans become even more indifferent to a sport that used be known as the national pastime. Oops, guess that already happened.

I think A-Rod was still our second/third highest paid player, glad he opted out. Arriba Rangers!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 8:16:27 PM   
Paul Vebber

Nothing is preventing other teams from spending money, other than tight pursed owners. If the bottom four teams spend under 40M then they get what they pay for. Four of the bottom 10 teams in payroll are in the top 10 in wins. And two of the top ten teams (And the 11th) are in the bottom 10.

Spending money gives you a better chacne, but hardly guarentees anything as the fact a 144M payroll played a 54M payroll in the World Series.

I'd like to see the luxury tax concept expanded, and more revenue sharing, but Steinbreener's bankroll has come up empty for quite awhile now...

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 10:03:11 PM   
anarchyintheuk

True, other than fiscal sanity and gross revenue. However, not many bb owners have been accused of that.

Post #: 9
RE: Sox Win! - 10/29/2007 10:50:34 PM   
freeboy

two streeking teems, ones streek ended, GREAT JOB REDS! I thinki it is funny here in Denver, I too was pulling for the Rocks, these poor fans who thought the rocks would sweep! But they did sweep all the post season up till these games!
again, a heartfelt "ataboy" to the redsox and the fans, many we saw walking around Denver will we made our way to see a REAL sport, the AVES beat the WILD Yippee LOL

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 10
RE: Sox Win! - 10/30/2007 1:55:47 AM   
ravinhood

The sad thing the only really exciting playoff to watch was the Sox vs the Indians. Everything else was a sweep or basically a sweep by 3 to 1. It's rather interersting that my OOTPBB game predicted it to be Indians vs Rockies and the Rockies won. The other teams were there as well. Phillies, but, instead of Arizona it was San Diego and amazingly the Cubs. Just goes to show OOTPBB is pretty darn realistic. Of course it wasn't the Angels as my Texas Ranger took the West. ;) But, I got beat in 4 straight games by the Indians whom I had stomped during the regular season, but, my ace pitchers failed me in the ALCS playoffs. lol I Won 106 damn games and lose in the playoffs, that suked. But, I know how the Yankees feel. I stomped the Redsox in 3 though and Indians beat the Yankees in 4. Who knows if I hadn't had my yankeeish team there the Angels probably would have won our division and Boston might have beat them and Cleveland instead of me dropping 4 in a row. OOTPBB rules. ;)

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Sox Win! - 10/30/2007 10:33:13 AM   
palli

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

[...] Just goes to show OOTPBB is pretty darn realistic. Of course it wasn't the Angels as my Texas Ranger took the West. [...] I Won 106 damn games [...]

But nice work by the Redsox. I watched most PO games on mlb.tv here in Germany (2 AM is a great time to watch games) and it is funny how different the PO´s are after 2004: without the WS it would be "here we go again" in every close situation (like after Game 4 vs. Cleveland) but this time I was always "no problem, we will get the job done".

The Bosox have the luck of a lot of money to spend but other teams show that this not enough. You need the right people to spend this money. Thats the reason why Damon and Pedro "play" in Ney York and not in Boston.

palli

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: Sox Win! - 10/30/2007 5:17:12 PM   
Paul Vebber

A played 10 Puresim 2007 seasons - basically acting as GM until the playoffs - Red Sox got into the playoffs 7 of the 10 seasons (2 of the 10 they didn't they were decimated with injuries - in one I lost Beckett, Pap, Ortiz and Youk...the other Shilling, Manny and Youk for extended periods).

I don't remember all the permutations, but the Cleveland Boston ALCS happened 3 times. Twice it was the White Sox and 1 once the Angels. I made it to the ALCS 6 of the 7 times (lost once to Cleveland in the ALDS) and won 4 of the 6 Losing once to Cleveland in the ALCS and once to the WhiteSox), then won 3 of the 4 World Series. Twice against the Mets (lost one), once against the Dodgers and once against the Rockies. The Cubs won two WS in the 10. To my great delight the Brewers won 1 . On the Downside the Yankees won 2

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 10/30/2007 5:19:28 PM >

(in reply to palli)
Post #: 13
RE: Sox Win! - 10/30/2007 10:19:28 PM   
Arctic Blast

You can have a massive payroll, what matters is who you spend that money on. It also doesn't hurt if you draft some decent players, so you don't have to try to buy every starter.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Post #: 14
RE: Sox Win! - 11/1/2007 5:46:35 AM   
xtinx

quote:

I was surprised it was a sweep. I really expected Colorado to give them a challenge.Musta been the can't believe we made it this far jitters. Did you read that A-Rod is also leaving the NY Yankees? He turned down what would have amounted to 150 million dollar deal over 5 years. Even Papi said he wouldn't turn down 30 million a year. I never liked A-Rod though so I hope he goes to some really crappy team like Pittsburg hahaha

are you serious. of course colorado got swept. they are the worst team ever to make it to the world series. i mean boston is a bunch of drunk micks any way. but at least those crackers can play baseball.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 15
RE: Sox Win! - 11/1/2007 6:12:29 AM   
ravinhood

Really? You think a team that swept two division leaders are the worst team "EVER"??

(in reply to xtinx)
Post #: 16
RE: Sox Win! - 11/1/2007 6:22:14 AM   
xtinx

yes. those games where thrown.. any idiot could see that.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 17
RE: Sox Win! - 11/1/2007 10:03:32 AM   
ravinhood

Well throwing is usually involved in baseball. ;)

(in reply to xtinx)
Post #: 18
RE: Sox Win! - 11/1/2007 7:03:22 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: xtinx

quote:

I was surprised it was a sweep. I really expected Colorado to give them a challenge.Musta been the can't believe we made it this far jitters. Did you read that A-Rod is also leaving the NY Yankees? He turned down what would have amounted to 150 million dollar deal over 5 years. Even Papi said he wouldn't turn down 30 million a year. I never liked A-Rod though so I hope he goes to some really crappy team like Pittsburg hahaha

are you serious. of course colorado got swept. they are the worst team ever to make it to the world series. i mean boston is a bunch of drunk micks any way. but at least those crackers can play baseball.

The '88 Dodgers were the worst world series team ever. Doesn't matter that they won.

(in reply to xtinx)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sox Win! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote