Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/10/2007 8:13:18 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 9, 1943

Course: Disbanded in port
Attached to: None
Mission: None
System Damage: 3
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Proceed to Okayama for refit

---

In the officer’s wardroom aboard Hibiki:

“What!” yells Lieutenant Kuwaki. “Sir, they can’t DO that!” Captain Ishii shoots a quelling glare down the table at his gunnery officer. Kuwaki, realizing that he is out of line, bows his head contritely.

“Sir, I apologize,” he says quietly. Captain Ishii leans back in his chair. In truth he had expected something like this.

“I will forgive the outburst, Lieutenant” he says. “However, please try to make your comments more constructive for the rest of the discussion.”

“Yes sir,” says Kuwaki. Captain Ishii looks around the room. Seated at the small table, which is covered with schematics and plans, are all of his senior officers; Miharu, Sakati, Sugiyura, and Kuwaki. Captain Ishii indicates the plans, which show that Hibiki’s “X” turret is to be removed. In its place will be mounted a platform holding a pair of triple 25 mm gun mounts. The weight saved will allow a number of smaller anti-aircraft guns to be mounted on the ship as well.

“For the record,” he says, “I was one of those who recommended this change. Since the war started we have fired almost 200 rounds of 5” ammunition. Of these, around 60% have been fired from the forward turret. We do not really need four 5” guns on the stern. We do, however, need every defense against enemy planes we can get. The enemy’s air power is growing with frightening speed.”

“Sir,” says Sakati, “I have a question.”

“Go ahead,” says the captain.

“Won’t we miss those guns if we get into a fight against enemy warships?” the engineer asks. Ishii suspects that Sakati already knows the answer to this and is asking on behalf of Kuwaki.

“Our main weapon against enemy warships has always been our torpedoes,” he says. Lieutenant Sugiyura speaks up.

“And we retain all nine torpedo tubes,” he says. Kuwaki shoots a glare at Sugiyura, but Captain Ishii nods.

“I admit it isn’t a perfect solution,” he says. “But the hull is only so large. This war is changing, and we have to change with it.”

“Sir, what about radar?” asks Lieutenant Miharu.

“I’m told that radar gear for destroyers is under development,” says Ishii. “Perhaps we will be fitted for it another time.”

The officers settle into a technical discussion of the changes to the destroyer. At length Ishii, satisfied that everyone understands what needs to be done, dismisses them. Before Lieutenant Miharu leaves he asks the executive officer to draw up a schedule of two week leaves for the crew.

“Yourself included,” he says. “Oh, and make sure Sakati goes too. He isn’t going to want to spend a day away from the ship while they’re doing the work.”

“Of course, sir,” says the lieutenant. “And you too, of course.” Ishii smiles.

“Especially me,” he says. “I have a new granddaughter who needs to be spoiled.”

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 11/10/2007 8:15:02 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1711
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/10/2007 6:44:42 PM   
Ursa Major

A lurker for months, I decided it was time to speak up in praise for this incredible story.  Cudos to you CF! If you are not doing this kind of work for a living the world is a poorer place.

When life gives you lemons..... Use 'em as ammo.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1712
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/10/2007 9:53:42 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I can see the root of Kuwaki's feelings. Its the closest thing to emasculating the poor guy that CF hay yet come up with.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Ursa Major)
Post #: 1713
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 2:56:23 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 10, 1943

System Damage: 15

---

Lieutenant Miharu accompanies Captain Ishii down to the deck. At the gangplank Captain Ishii stops and sets down his sea bag for a moment.

“Oh, and one more thing, Exec,” he says, “remember to make sure there is no corrosion anywhere in the sleeve once they take out the turret. If any…”

“Yes, Captain,” says Miharu with a laugh. “We have been over that. Your taxi is waiting.”

“Oh,” says the captain. He thinks for a moment. “Did you get Sakati’s leave scheduled?”

“Yes, sir, he goes in two weeks. Have a good trip, sir. Please give my regards to your wife and family.” Captain Ishii laughs. He waves off a sailor who tries to help him with his bag and lifts it himself. Lieutenant Miharu salutes him, and Captain Ishii returns it.

“Very well, Exec. The ship is yours. I know everything is in good hands.”

“Don’t worry, Captain. She’ll be afloat when you return,” the lieutenant says.

Captain Ishii turns and walks down the gangplank to the pier. He joins a small but steady stream of other crewmen heading away from the ship. Over sixty of Hibiki’s men will have departed by the end of the day.

---

Other men swarm aboard the ship. Work on Hibiki is already underway, and a large crane is poised over the stern to lift off the “X” turret. Crates are piled on the pier nearby. They hold new guns and new equipment for the ship.

From morning until dark the sound of hammers and torches replaces the familiar sound of the engines and the crash of waves against the hull. Hibiki settles into a new routine, one expected to take from three to four weeks.

---

Before and after shots from July 9 and 10, 1943. The result of the refit is to raise Hibiki’s AA rating from 88 to 116.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1714
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 2:59:54 AM   
John 3rd

Sure wish the Japanese had figured out that 3.9" rapid fire they put on the Moon-Class DDs could have been used on OTHER ships.  Think the only capaital ship outfitted with those guns was CV Taiho.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1715
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 3:32:54 AM   
trollelite

It is indicated Ishii didn't survive the war....  However if he was KIA, or died from accident or disease, still remains unknown...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1716
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 5:06:29 AM   
histgamer

Be interesting if you could have Ishii's phenominal XO get promoted to command a ship of his own. I realize he is a ficticous caractor but you could simply say he is capt xxx and place him in command of another ship. :) Would add a net little eliment sort of like in the Hornblower Series when Hornblower become an adm and bush becomes a Capt.

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 1717
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 5:40:27 AM   
kaleun

quote:

It is indicated Ishii didn't survive the war

Did I miss something?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1718
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 6:39:05 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

quote:

It is indicated Ishii didn't survive the war

Did I miss something?

I think trollelite was speaking historically. The fate of the real Ishii is something of a mystery. He and the commander of DD Ikazuchi traded places in August '42. Two weeks later Ishii was relieved of command. I don't know why or what became of him after that. My best guess is that he became ill and never recovered enough to return to active duty, but that's just a guess.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 1719
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 7:33:39 AM   
histgamer

Oh if the ship does go down i expect a long detailed report of the battle from the capt's perspective like 20 pages worth of detail second by second and all.

Then again I supose you could just do that as the ship enters tha battle and two seconds in say the magzine just blew up everyone was incinerated... the end.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1720
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 10:54:34 AM   
trollelite

It is said he reached final rank of Captain, and his final position is Staff Officer of Southwest Fleet (Taiwan). And he didn't survive the war.... His final rank also indicated this, as staff officer of an area fleet never reached rank of captain, but IJN promoted officers who died in the duty posthumously by one level of rank.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1721
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 12:48:12 PM   
kaleun

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 1722
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 6:22:28 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy
the magzine just blew up everyone was incinerated... the end.

That'd be hard for the storyline....one of them is supposed to write a book after the war....

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1723
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/11/2007 8:27:05 PM   
histgamer

He was thrown clear of the ship and is the lone survivor. 

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1724
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/12/2007 5:25:55 PM   
histgamer

ugggggggggggggggg withdrawl. 

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1725
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/13/2007 3:49:40 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 11, 1943

System Damage: 15

---

Here in the summer of 1943 life in Japan goes on much as it always has. It was a cold winter and the last rice harvest was not the best, but this has been offset by large shipments of food from Japan’s southern conquests. The wartime economy is doing well, bolstered by war spending and imports of oil and raw materials. Marriages are arranged, business deals are made, songs are written, houses are built.

The war is far from a distant subject, of course. The Japanese are fiercely proud of their armed forces and their husbands and sons in the military. They have carved out an empire and held it for a year and half against the combined might of the Allies, and there does not seem to be any reason to think this state of affairs will not continue.

Even while Hibiki was sailing back to Japan, for instance, word arrived home of another crushing Japanese victory. The headlines are still talking about how Japanese carriers descended on enemy ships in the Solomon Sea and sank many of them. A number of proud enemy warships now lie on the bottom, and the beaches in the area are said to be covered with the floating bodies of American soldiers drowned when their troopships sank. And all this without the loss of a single Japanese ship! Many in Japan believe that surely now the Americans will realize they are beaten.

Only Captain Ishii received a somewhat accurate version of events when Hibiki reached Okayama, and he has not yet passed this information on to anyone else in the crew. Around twenty enemy vessels were indeed sunk off Buna, mostly minesweepers, sub chasers, troopships, and cargo vessels. But the carriers struck after Buna had already been seized by the enemy and there seems little hope of getting the base back. This puts additional pressure on the Japanese troops already under siege at Port Moresby, and on the beleaguered bases at Rabaul and Lae. But none of this is known to Japan’s civilians.

For the men of Hibiki already on leave it seems strange to be in a place where the war is simply one preoccupation, albeit an important one, among many. But it is very good to see loved ones and to experience the familiar sights, sounds, and smells of home. They have been away for a long time. Some of them remember watching one hundred and fifty heavy bombers clobber the airfield at Rabaul or think of that last horrible night off Gili Gili and believe the opinion they encounter everywhere that the war is as good as over is far too optimistic.

But they say very little of this. It is not just that the Kempeitai and Tokeitai have ears everywhere. It is partly that it is their job to defend these people, and for most of them that means shielding them from unpleasant truths as well as the ships and planes of the enemy. And it is partly that there are many more things they would rather do than talk about the war they have left behind for two precious weeks. Besides, to a man they do believe Japan is going to win this war, even if it may be harder and take more time than most people think.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1726
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/13/2007 4:59:53 AM   
histgamer

Oh boy I feel the next cruise of our lovely DD may be very nail biting... I hope the Allies forge their Rings Around Rabaul before our DD returns to the area and thus have this great DD avoid serious danger for at least awhile.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1727
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/13/2007 3:17:39 PM   
saj42

Excellent 'home-front' perspective of the war

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1728
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 3:56:36 AM   
Cuttlefish

July 12, 1943

System Damage: 14

---

Riku is tired of looking at paperwork. Lieutenant JG Kataoka has gone on leave and left Riku with a great pile of requisitions and other forms. Wading through them the sailor is amazed that anything in the Navy ever gets done. There must be more people creating and filing papers than actually crewing the ships, he thinks.

Riku’s own approach to acquiring items for the ship is more direct and personal, involving barter, persuasion, and scrounging. But he knows Kataoka expects to find the paperwork completed properly. And besides, there are some items here that he suspects it will be easier to get by going through channels rather than around them. New glass for the bridge, for example.

He finishes working on a small stack of papers then slips them into a folder and stands up. If he hurries he can get these to fleet headquarters a few blocks away before lunch.

As he steps into the companionway a couple of sailors go trotting past him, heading up on deck. Both are in full uniform, and one of them is adjusting his cap as he goes. Riku stares after them curiously. Could some admiral be making a surprise inspection of the ship?

---

“Father, may we go aboard? Just for a moment?” Nanami asks. She is standing on the pier looking at Hibiki with her grandmother and her father, Chief Petty Officer Shun. Even with one turret missing and a gaping hole in her deck the destroyer looks lean and rakish.

Shun hesitates. He does not think this is a good idea, but Nanami rarely asks him for anything. And it isn’t against regulations as long as the officer of the deck allows it.

“I will ask,” he says after a moment. “Wait here.” He leaves the two women and strides swiftly up the gangplank onto the ship. There he locates Ensign Handa. The ensign glances over the rail at the two women and immediately gives his approval. As soon as Shun departs he turns to spread the word for everyone to look sharp, but the deck has been miraculously cleared.

Word spreads across the ship like lightning that Shun is bringing his mother and daughter on board. Sailors hastily wash their faces and comb their hair. Clean uniforms are donned at record speed. Shun’s mother ascends the gangplank slowly, leaning on her son’s arm, and by the time the three of them stand on deck the crew is beginning to reappear.

Ensign Handa steps forward to welcome them aboard. Behind him sailors begin to form up in review fashion, falling into ranks without any orders needed. They stand silently and respectfully at attention. Nanami gazes at all the men in their splendid white uniforms and her eyes shine with pride.

Shun looks around in astonishment at this gesture of respect. Admiral Yamamoto himself could find no fault with this display. He is so moved that he does not notice his daughter glancing here and there as if looking for someone in particular.

---

Riku still does not know what is going on, but he heads out on deck to find out. He gets to the steep, narrow stairs at the end of the companionway and his foot is on the first treader when a hand descends on his shoulder. Taiki is standing behind him, and his face is grave.

“Seaman Ariga,” he says, “please go immediately to the chain storage locker and make sure that everything is properly stowed. Take your time about it. Take at least half an hour.”

“Yes, Petty Officer,” he says, confused. He lowers his voice. “Taiki-san, what is…?”

“Just do it,” grates Taiki.

“Yes, Petty Officer, at once,” Riku says stiffly. He turns and hurries forward. Taiki looks after him for a moment, pained by the puzzled and hurt look on Riku’s face. Then he turns and hurries up on deck.

---

Lieutenant Miharu himself arrives to give the women a brief tour of the ship. Everyone goes out of their way to be proper and helpful. Nanami is obviously impressed and pleased to get a glimpse at the world where her father spends most of his time. As the tour nears its end, however, she does begin to look around a little anxiously. As they return to the deck by the gangplank she smiles brightly to see Taiki standing nearby. She glances at her father, then steps over to him.

“Mr. Takahashi, it is good to see you again,” she says. Taiki catches Shun’s eye. The Chief nods ever so slightly.

“It is an honor to have you on board, Miss Shun,” he says with a slight bow. “And you as well, Mrs. Shun,” he says to her mother. The older woman inclines her head to him. Whatever thoughts she is having she keeps to herself for the moment.

“If I may ask,” she says, “I have not seen your friends, Mr. Kuramata and Mr. Ariga. Are they on board?” As her back is to her father she does not see his back stiffen. Taiki does, however.

“Seaman Kuramata is on leave,” he says formally. “Seaman Ariga has duties elsewhere at the moment. I will be sure to give both of them your regards.”

“Oh,” she says, a little sadly. Her father steps forward.

“Come, Nanami,” he says. “Your grandmother is getting tired. It is time we went to dinner.” Nanami rejoins him and Lieutenant Miharu accompanies the three Shuns down to the pier. Up on deck Taiki lets out a deep sigh and gives a small of prayer of thanks that disaster has been averted. He is unaware that others are staring at him. Soon there is wild speculation all over the ship about why Shun’s beautiful daughter chose to speak to Taiki alone of all the noncoms and enlisted men, and especially about why Shun seemed inclined to let him live afterwards.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1729
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 4:56:22 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Uh-oh!!!

Well, at least Shun seems to have found a whole new way of promoting a healthy spirit of spit and polish aboard ship.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1730
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 8:01:08 AM   
histgamer

oh oh Taki and Riku gonna get in a fight over rumors...

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1731
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 11:26:13 AM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

oh oh Taki and Riku gonna get in a fight over rumors...

oh i think so, soap opera hits the Hibiki

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 1732
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 10:20:35 PM   
Chitose

I have been lurking for some time and thoroughly enjoying the tale of Hibiki and her crew. Thank you Cuttlefish for rekindling my interest in the Pacific War Campaign after some years. I played Gary Grigsby's original "Pacifc War" many years ago when it first came out. Now I am well and truly hooked on "War in the Pacific". It's all down to the Hibiki and your excellent writing skills.

I found this image of the Hibiki recently on the web. I think the date is 1st April 1933. She's the ship (no.6) in the background. I hope it comes out OK, I don't fully understand how to do the link.

EDIT. removed the link because it didn't work, if anyone can tell me how to add a photo please do and I will give it another go.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chitose -- 11/14/2007 10:30:10 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1733
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 10:25:35 PM   
Terminus

Select "Click here to upload!", choose the picture to upload (200Kb maximum) and then tick the "Embed picture in post" box before submitting the post.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chitose)
Post #: 1734
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 10:31:51 PM   
Chitose

Success, thanks.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1735
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 11:40:59 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chitose

I have been lurking for some time and thoroughly enjoying the tale of Hibiki and her crew. Thank you Cuttlefish for rekindling my interest in the Pacific War Campaign after some years. I played Gary Grigsby's original "Pacifc War" many years ago when it first came out. Now I am well and truly hooked on "War in the Pacific". It's all down to the Hibiki and your excellent writing skills.

I found this image of the Hibiki recently on the web. I think the date is 1st April 1933. She's the ship (no.6) in the background. I hope it comes out OK, I don't fully understand how to do the link.

Glad you have been enjoying the AAR, and thanks for posting this. I have not seen this photo before. Hibiki looks brand new, and she should, having been commisioned less than a month before this was taken. I notice that the bridge is not yet enclosed. That happened sometime before the beginning of the war, but I don't know exactly when.

I wonder what ship is being launched in the foreground?

(in reply to Chitose)
Post #: 1736
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/14/2007 11:47:50 PM   
Terminus

My guess would be that it's the Hatsuharu, which was launched on 2/27/33. Not sure that's the Hibiki, though. I've seen another picture of that ship with the "6" on, identifying it as the Ikazuchi.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 11/14/2007 11:52:20 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1737
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 12:13:26 AM   
Pkunzipper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

My guess would be that it's the Hatsuharu, which was launched on 2/27/33. Not sure that's the Hibiki, though. I've seen another picture of that ship with the "6" on, identifying it as the Ikazuchi.

The ship on the background is the Hibiki.
The "6" identified all the ships of Akatsuki class, while the ship itself was identified by the symbols on the side. Hibiki is the only ship of that class with a "t" like symbol at the end of the symbol sequence (just visible under the first shaft).

< Message edited by Pkunzipper -- 11/15/2007 12:15:39 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1738
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 12:15:56 AM   
Terminus

Okay, I figured it was just a Western-style hull number...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 11/15/2007 12:18:54 AM >

(in reply to Pkunzipper)
Post #: 1739
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 11/15/2007 1:14:01 AM   
Chitose

Cuttlefish, the ship on the slipway being launched is the Chidori (Tomozuru Class Torpedo Boat)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1740
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  56 57 [58] 59 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI