Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

scenario wishes and questions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> scenario wishes and questions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 12:29:07 PM   
alaric318

greetings, first to say that i am very pleased with the game, still do not control every on the editor but understand that it is one of the best scenario editors available on turn based strategy and overall for me, my question is about scenarios, what are planned?, i fall in love with [tweber] American Civil War scenario, my only and most hope is to see a napoleonic scenario, may do it but my art skills are not very good, maybe a variant of diplomacy scenario in the napoleonic era, will be good to know if there are plans to make a scenario on this, anyway a great game, with few work we can sculpture our scenarios to the concept of perfection of every and anyone,

best regards,

alaric,murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
Post #: 1
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 1:17:41 PM   
Vic

well for the tutorials on scenario design i am at least completing a nice small Netherlands 1940 scenario :)
i hope to post the next lesson tommorow: Simple Scenario Design 102.

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 2
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 1:18:09 PM   
Vic

I have also been thinking about an Ancients scenario, but time is eluding me.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 3
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 1:28:17 PM   
alaric318

thanks for the fast repply, good to know about it, an ancient scenario with barbarians, roma, cartago, greece, egypt, and maybe some other minors powers will be great, a good adding to an already good scenario stock,

best regards,

alaric/murat30.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 4:00:54 PM   
BlackSunshine

I'm currently working on an Iwo Jima scenario. OOB is nearly done, map is done, just tinkering with the AI & the event editor. Hopefully Vic gets some tutorials up on these soon!

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 5
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 4:15:22 PM   
tweber

For Iwo, I would think about Kamakaze's.  You can make a unit that self destructs on attack. 

Also, you might want to change the rulvar that determines sets the amphibious invasion penalty.

(in reply to BlackSunshine)
Post #: 6
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 4:29:24 PM   
tweber

quote:

greetings, first to say that i am very pleased with the game, still do not control every on the editor but understand that it is one of the best scenario editors available on turn based strategy and overall for me, my question is about scenarios, what are planned?, i fall in love with [tweber] American Civil War scenario, my only and most hope is to see a napoleonic scenario, may do it but my art skills are not very good, maybe a variant of diplomacy scenario in the napoleonic era, will be good to know if there are plans to make a scenario on this, anyway a great game, with few work we can sculpture our scenarios to the concept of perfection of every and anyone,

I would not worry about the graphics. That is the easiest thing to solve for. For scenario design, I think you can divide the work into roughly 3 equal parts:

- Map, production locations and relative sizes, and OOB
- Units
- Events

For a WWII scenario, the standard unit set works well so this part is not difficult. With ACW, I felt I needed a new unit set. You may find it easier to modify the ACW set for a Napoleanic game or you can start from scratch.

For the map, drawing the picture is not too hard. Figuring where to put production and how much to allocate is the tricky part. I am sure anyone who uses the name 'Murat' can probably get the OOB pretty quickly as well.

Events are tricky. I posted some event examples and comments. Happy to help if you are stuck.

Before you start on any of this, I would suggest you plan the scenario as thoroughly as you think you need. It is good to have a plan as you flesh out the details because it keeps you focused on the end. One way to do this is to write the scenario description first. Write it with enough detail that someone who has played the game will understand what is going on. A good scenario description can run a few pages but is an excellent too to keep you organized. If you want to write the scenario description, I would be happy to give my thoughts and offer suggestions as how to implement.

Finally, testing probably takes 3x as long as your initial effort. You want to test for bugs, but also playability and balance. I wrote the War in Europe in the early spring and have been testing ever since.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 7
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 4:51:17 PM   
seille

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweber
I wrote the War in Europe in the early spring and have been testing ever since.

And you did not waste your time here !

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 8
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 4:52:15 PM   
BlackSunshine

quote:

For Iwo, I would think about Kamakaze's.  You can make a unit that self destructs on attack. 

Also, you might want to change the rulvar that determines sets the amphibious invasion penalty.

I was debating on beginning the scenario with the marines already on shore. There was little to no resistance on landing. In addition, unless I could make the ships off shore fixed, they could be used for naval bombardments as the battle progresses (something I dont want), or I could just withdraw them at a certain time.

To keep it as historical as possible, it's best to ignore the naval conflict.

Fighters will arrive as the airfields are captured probably.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 9
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 5:08:17 PM   
Pergite!

Scenario wishes?

I want to invade Crete in this game as well!

Post #: 10
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 6:33:21 PM   
alaric318

a very good-outstanding feature on this game is indeed the HQ/Strategic HQ Bonus to his subordinate/s unit/s, i allways, on every game want to give the generals direct impact on the game outcome as well on the combats, with the bonus system model on Advanced Tactics and Staff types available, is easy to give major relevance to all generals, on the civil war scenario the staff types or model is well done, much like it was in the war, the order of battle in my oppinion allways must be mathematically perfect, and taken on mind all other variables, the testing is the part that takes more time but you already are playing and is fun, in napoleonic scenarios latest that i am working on, at other games based my order of battle in generals, my favorite epoch is musket, in first place napoleonic and near it the american civil war, the base scenario i want the map of the diplomacy scenario, germany can be prussia, not will be absolutely perfect with austria in mind, but it is the most well balanced, balkans can be austria, russia, britain, spain, turkey and france as themselves and scandinavia as sweden, italy and the papacy can be a minor of france, the ideal order of battle on my mind is at strenght 2-1 for "allies" and morale and combat bonus at 1'6/1'5-1 for france, too are very important the victory conditions, as an example in the civil war scenario the confederacy do not need to take all of the union land to win, only resist with some victory points to a date, from this point in mind, can stablish "commands", each command have divisions or corps that can change slighty from one nation to other, with the people's bonus that can be given from the scenario editor is easy to stablish a coherent advantage, better french and british troops, maybe 28 "commands" for france, 6/8 for spain and for britain, 12 for prussia, 16 for austria, 18 for russia, italy without own generals, as a minor of france, turkey with 3 commands, what is difficult is to set it historically or a "free for all" game, i mean about france against europe or a more hipothetical aproach, the balance will be different for these two types of games, i will think on it, want a napoleonic scenario, is difficult to import the diplomacy map to the civil war scenario?, i want the civil war troops aproach and the diplomacy map,

thanks in advance for any and all advice about it,

with best regards,

murat30/alaric.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 11
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 6:59:42 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackSunshine

quote:

I was debating on beginning the scenario with the marines already on shore. There was little to no resistance on landing. In addition, unless I could make the ships off shore fixed, they could be used for naval bombardments as the battle progresses (something I dont want), or I could just withdraw them at a certain time.

To keep it as historical as possible, it's best to ignore the naval conflict.

Fighters will arrive as the airfields are captured probably.

It might be interesting though, if the Japanese player has the option of setting up his defense either historically or (I'll call it) traditionally in that he either defends further inland ambush style as they did historically or they defend the beaches upon landing as was traditionally done up to that point.

Post #: 12
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 7:56:10 PM   
tweber

quote:

It might be interesting though, if the Japanese player has the option of setting up his defense either historically or (I'll call it) traditionally in that he either defends further inland ambush style as they did historically or they defend the beaches upon landing as was traditionally done up to that point.

You could do this with action cards. Set up Japan as turn 1. On the first turn, the Japanese player playes either the historic or on the beaches card. You can set up a random chance for the AI to play either card if Japan is the AI. You could also do a random selection if the Japanese player forgets to play a card.

The cards would then add units to the appropriate hexes. Send me a note if you get stuck

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 13
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 8:04:54 PM   
tweber

quote:

the ideal order of battle on my mind is at strenght 2-1 for "allies" and morale and combat bonus at 1'6/1'5-1 for france, too are very important the victory conditions, as an example in the civil war scenario the confederacy do not need to take all of the union land to win, only resist with some victory points to a date, from this point in mind, can stablish "commands", each command have divisions or corps that can change slighty from one nation to other, with the people's bonus that can be given from the scenario editor is easy to stablish a coherent advantage, better french and british troops, maybe 28 "commands" for france, 6/8 for spain and for britain, 12 for prussia, 16 for austria, 18 for russia, italy without own generals, as a minor of france, turkey with 3 commands, what is difficult is to set it historically or a "free for all" game, i mean about france against europe or a more hipothetical aproach, the balance will be different for these two types of games, i will think on it, want a napoleonic scenario, is difficult to import the diplomacy map to the civil war scenario?, i want the civil war troops aproach and the diplomacy map,

You could re-use the map, save ACW as a masterfile, and then import. However, you should erase all the units on the diplomacy map first as this will cause errors if there are units on the map that are not defined.

I would suggest making your own map / modifying terrain and location types. You have to ask what did a river or road mean to a Napoleanic army vs a modern one.

Also, you should become familiar with how area slots work. This will be helpful in defining areas that could be traded.

There are many ways to make on side better or worse. You can give them better units, better modifiers, higher research levels. I would play around to see what feels right for you.

A big change to think about supply. Armies where significantly less dense and getting cut off was an issue (certainly in 1812), but less than in the WWII era.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 14
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/8/2007 10:04:25 PM   
IRONCROM

A Napoleonic grand campainge scenario or WWII grand campainge with a single player versus AI option would be awsome.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 15
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/11/2007 9:54:18 AM   
machiavelli

Murat30,

If you want a coherent Napoleonic graphic set, why not try that from the Cossacks RTS game e.g. http://cossacks.heavengames.com/thegame/units/artillery.shtml. If you're not that nifty with a graphics editor I'd be happy to collaborate if you want to do map making, events etc.

Regards,

Nic

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 16
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/11/2007 10:23:07 AM   
machiavelli

After reading the post about random Tolkinesque games, I think it would be a good idea to produce a napoleonic masterfile before producing the napoleonic scenarios. Then we can play random napoleonic scenarios to our heart's content!

(in reply to machiavelli)
Post #: 17
RE: scenario wishes and questions... - 11/11/2007 5:44:32 PM   
alaric318

i start work on a napoleonic scenario, i think indeed that the best point to start is, as tom weber advice, to make a master file, best point is to make the diplomacy map to work with the american civil war scenario as a master file, will work on it from now on as time let me, main problems that come to mind is that cavalry is much more powerfull on napoleon era than civil war, will need testing trough adjustment of cavalry stats, generic corps system will work but an aproach with infantry/cavalry/artillery divisions too will be good, i will see what i can do, try some graphics from napoleonic era games but not satisfied with results, maybe for first beta if i can make it will be with the icons from civil war, them support infantry cavalry and artillery, instead of guard units we can give overall bonus by regime trough peoples game system, maybe 4 france/britain to combat, some production to russia and so on, i will work on it, just say that i do seek to have the scenario as soon as possible on working so the very first betas can be only with limited work,

best regards,

murat30/alarick.

(in reply to machiavelli)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> scenario wishes and questions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI