Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUANCE(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUANCE(J) Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUANCE(J) - 10/18/2007 8:58:40 AM   
racndoc

Bombur and I just finished a Nik Mod 9.1 game with Japanese surrender in June 1942. Bombur asked for a rematch with us switching sides so I will play Japan this time.

I had started a CHS experimental scenario(159) a few months ago and my opponent disappeared in Jan. 1942 but I was impressed with how his Nates decimated my AVG in China so I thought it would be cool to try this scenario again from the Japanese perspective. Japan loses the early war A6M2 advantage in this scenario but I think that the 10 point reduction in Allied starting experience levels for pilots more than offsets that and will help Japan in the mid and late war periods. AAA seemed a bit overpowered in this scenario but not as bad as as in CHS Nik Mod.

Here is the setup for our game:

Historical 1st turn on
PDUs on
Advanced weather on
Allied damage control on
Auto sub ops off
Allied sub doc off
Japanese sub doc off
normal reinforcements

HOUSE RULES:

AC stacking max of 50x airbase size
No sub invasions
Invasions and paradrops at base/dot hexes only
No city bombing allowed from or against Chinese bases
No naval bombing allowed for 4Es
ASW TFs limited to max of 6 ships
Stacking limit of 4 AA units per hex(This is aimed mainly at Singapore....when all the Allied LCUs retreat there in the early war the AA effects are dramatic. I requested that replacements be turned off if the Allies are forced to overstack AA units....simulates what Nik has programmed into his more recent mods. The overstacking of base units in Singapore as the Allies retreat will probably have an impact on AA and may force me to resort to super-Kate tactics).

THE FIRST WEEK OF THE WAR: December 7th -14th, 1941

Its been a while since Ive played a historical start and I forgot how slowly the game begins so I will combine the first weeks action into a couple of posts. With 3 SAA divisions starting in Shanghai and another 2 SAA divisions starting in Japan it takes a couple of weeks for the transports to reach their destinations. My initial objectives as Japan are to capture Hong Kong ASAP to release 38th Division and overwhelm Malaya with 6-7 divisions.

Luzon will be more of a backwater with only the historical landings of 48th Division and 65th Brigade in northen Luzon. A major effort will be made to take out Mindanao and capture the level 4 airfield at Cayagan to establish a Betty base in the central PI. 2nd Division and 16th Division are tasked with capturing Cayagan while 56th Brigade is sent to Davao....hopefully these troops arrive at their destinations sometime in the next week...lol. While this is being completed Japan will be massing engineers at Tuguegaro to build a level 4 airfield in the northen PI. Cayagan and Davao will become my major fuel/supply dumps for the invasion of the DEI. Paratroopers captured Jolo on 12/8/41 and Vals/Kates were immediately staged in to interdict Allied shipping fleeing from the PI. Im using primarily Sallys at Takao to reduce the airfields on Luzon to free up my Nells/Bettys for naval attacks.

A couple of interesting/unusual occurrences so far here......Sub I-124 was positioned just outside of Manila harbor to catch Allied shipping attempting to flee and it was sunk by a single depth charge:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 42,52

Japanese Ships
SS I-124, hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
AVD Childs
AK Princess of Negros
AK Governor Wood
AK Corregidor
AK Candesa
AK Anakan
AP President Madison
AV Langley
AS Holland
MSW Whippoorwill
MSW Lark
MSW Quail
MSW Tanager
MSW Finch

Also, an IJN surface TF of 3 DDs stationed off Vigan to fend off PTs from the invasion forces was in turn punked by RN MTBs in a daytime action:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Vigan at 44,49

Japanese Ships
DD Harusame, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Yudachi, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Samidare, Shell hits 2, on fire

Allied Ships
PT PT-31, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
PT PT-32
PT PT-33, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
PT PT-34
PT PT-35
PT PT-41, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
PT Q 111
PT Q 112
PT Q 113

Ive never seen warships damaged by PT boat gunfire before. All 3 DDs have significant system/flotation and firre damage from the PTs and are sent to Shanghai for repairs.

I guess thats why they are called "Tin Cans".

As of 12/14/41 Japan has captured Batan, Vigan, Aparri, Laoag, Tuguegaro, Lamon Bay and Taytay.

Here is a sceen shot of the current situation in the Philippines as of 12/14/41 and the OOB in this area:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 10/19/2007 8:44:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/18/2007 9:12:09 AM   
racndoc

FIRST WEEK OF THE WAR: DECEMBER 7TH -14TH, 1941

MALAYA:

18TH Division overruns Khota Bharu while 5th, 55th and Imperial Guards advance on Alor Star.

BB PoW, BC Repulse and DD Jupiter attempt to withdraw up the Malacca Strait and are worked over by Japanese dive bombers based at Singora. PoW and Repulse get away with scratched paint but DD Jupiter is sunk.

BORNEO:

Brunei is captured and Kuching is currently under assault by 35th Brigade and 81st Naval Guards.

BURMA:

4TH Mixed Regiment and 21st Mixed Brigade advance on Moulmein while pratroopers capture Tavoy. Bettys are immediately staged into Tavoy to hit Allied sipping off Rangoon.

Here is a screenshot of the action in the area:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 10/19/2007 8:42:43 PM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 2
RE: CLIMB MT. NITAAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/18/2007 5:32:58 PM   
racndoc

CHINA THEATRE: DECEMBER 7th-14th, 1941

China will be another backwater for Japan in the early war period. I will try to take Hong Kong as quickly as possible to free up 38th Division for duties in the SRA but other than that China will be mostly in a defensive posture....I want to reduce my supply expenditure here for the first 3 months of the war so I can extricate 200,000- 250,000 supply to support offensives in the SRA. Im going to fortify my most exposed cities at Ichang, Hankow, Sinyang and Kaifeng to free up troops for a mobile reserve. Other than Hong Kong, I will do limited attacks to mop up all the Communist guerillas in my rear. Finally, all my garrisons in eastern China will be optimized to free up as many troops as possible. If conditions prove favorable I may attempt an offensive towards Changsha in spring 1942.

In an attempt to soften up Hong Kong I find that divebombers are very vulnerable to attacking even 2nd rate bases in the experimental CHS:

Day Air attack on Hong Kong , at 43,42

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 14
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 4
Ki-51 Sonia x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 8 destroyed, 11 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 19

Guess I will have to use level bombers against bases and restrict divebombers to naval/ground attacks.

PRODUCTION:

With PDUs on Im increasing a fair amount of Japanese aircraft industrial production. Nagasaki engine production will be boosted to over 700 per month. A6M2 production will be increased to about 250/mo and Oscars will be increased to around 170/mo. Sally and Betty production are doubled to 40 and 52 per month respectively. Im going to increase research on Tonys, Tojos and Jacks in 1942.

Naval production will be increased around 100 per month as I accelerate production of CVL Ryuho, CV Hiyo, CV Junyo, CV Katsuragi, CV Amagi, CV Unryu and CV Taiho. Production is halted on several subs,CV Shinano, BB Musashi and BB Yamato although the BB construction will be turned back on once I accumulate a reserve. With supply needed in the HI to cover the industrial expansion I will need a lot of supply pulled out of China to cover the offensives.

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 3
RE: CLIMB MT. NITAAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/18/2007 5:34:56 PM   
Hortlund

Huh...why did you send those two divisions to Mindanao instead of Legaspi?

The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 4
RE: CLIMB MT. NITAAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/19/2007 12:54:30 AM   
trollelite

I am watching your skill and style , perhaps we could do a match next time.

(in reply to Hortlund)
Post #: 5
RE: CLIMB MT. NITAAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/20/2007 6:52:29 PM   
racndoc

trollelite.....sorry we couldnt start a game now....my slot for an open game closed rapidly. I might have another slot for a new game open up in the next month or so ....lets keep in touch.

Panzerjaeger Hortlund.....good question.

There are sevaral reasons why I am planning on capturing Mindanao before capturing southern Luzon....and actually I have 16th Division on its way to Legaspi with 100% prep for Naga but it just finished loading a day ago at Tientsin and wont arrive in the PI for another week at the earliest.

First of all, we are playing with historical 1st turn....that basically puts the Japanese at least 2 weeks behind schedule and gives the Allies plenty of time to resupply the PI, move trooops around and prepare a defense.

Secondly, we are playing CHS. There are only 2 level 4 airfields in the PI in CHS......Clark and Catagan. I captured Jolo on the first day I could issue orders but it is only a level 3 airfield. I am in the process of sending over a dozen engineer units to Tueguagarao but it will be late Dec. before I can build it up to level 4.

There are 2 reasons I want Cayagan......first I want a level 4 airfield now for my Bettys for naval interdiction and also for my Sallys to help reduce Clark and Manila and secondly I want to DENY it to the Allies. A clever Allied player can move masses of 4E bombers through Singapore, Clark, Manila and Cayagan by late December and wreak havoc with Japanese airfields at Saigon, Takao, etc. About 18 months ago I played my first and only CHS game as Japan against Jagdfluger( the best player I have ever faced in WitP) and he staged dozens of divebombers and 4Es through Mindanao as I was attempting to overrun Luzon so I swore if I ever played as Japan again in CHS I would take out Mindanao ASAP.

ADMIRAL NAGUMO'S PEARL HARBOR STRIKE FORCE MOVEMENTS: NOVEMBER- DECEMBER 13th, 1941

Nov. 26th: sorties from Tankan Bay, Etorofu

Dec. 1st: Japanese Cabinet Council ratifies Tojo's decision to commence hostilities on Dec. 8th(Japan time)

Dec. 2nd: Admiral Yamamoto sends the message "Climb Mount Niitaka"(Proceed with attack) to Admiral Nagumo

Dec. 3rd: Admiral Nagumo's Strike Force refuels

Dec. 6th 2100 hours: Strike force reaches a position 490 mi due N of Oahu and commences a fast run in at 26 knots to the S

Dec. 7th: Historical Pearl Harbor attack...I lose 6 A6M2s, 16 Vals and 14 Kates and manage to sink a PT(Genda is courtmartialed)

Dec. 8th-10th: Strike force is moved to a position 180 W of Oahu. One Val attack against Oahu airfields and 2 Kate attacks against Pearl Harbor and I finally manages to sink a BB...Pennsylvania. 6 BBs are reported to be heavily damaged...I lose 31 Vals and 44 Kates

Dec. 13th: Strike Force supports invasion of Palmyra:

Day Air attack on TF, near Palmyra at 110,90

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
D3A2 Val x 41
B5N2 Kate x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AP William Ward Burrows, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy
damage

Day Air attack on Palmyra , at 110,90

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
B5N2 Kate x 107
E8N Dave x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 62

Ground combat at Palmyra

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1202 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 33

Defending force 1020 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese max assault: 68 - adjusted assault: 32

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 2

Japanese assault odds: 16 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Palmyra base !!!

Allied ground losses:
1404 casualties reported
Guns lost 33

Here is a screenshot of the early war movements of the Pearl Harbor Strike Force:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 6
RE: CLIMB MT. NITAAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/20/2007 7:39:07 PM   
ChezDaJez

BradfordKay and I are playing this scenario and I like it much better than stock. It has a much better historical feel to it.

We are in Sep 42 with a bit of a lull in the action as both of us rest our forces following some heavy fighting around Darwin. My shipping losses have been heavy, especially to transports. One of his S-boats sank the CA Maya with torps in the early going.

Couple of notes about this scenario... bombers will get through! You'll rough them up but some are going to make it to the target no matter how big the CAP. Its mainly due to the change in durability for the aircraft. You now get a lot more damaged and not as many destroyed.

Also, resources are the limiting factor, not oil. I've crashed my economy twice due to running out of resources as many resource centers were damaged when captured. So be careful with any industry expansion if the SRA isn't pristine.

One other thing... most IJ aviation rgts and many base/const forces don't have any inf squads so you can't use them to invade an empty base in the hopes of setting up an airfield quickly. Been there, done that.

Good luck with your game.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 7
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/21/2007 5:49:04 AM   
racndoc

Chez...

Thanx for the info. Ive lost 140 AC to flak in 7 days.....20 AC per day and those losses are unsustainable. I have been bombing at 15,000 feet....maybe I will try bombing at 25,000 feet. I also am concerned about the amount of resources.....I may make a major invasion of Australia just to pick up more resources.

SITUATION REPORT: DECEMBER 14th-15th, 1941

Things are certainly heating up now. Japan sank over 25 Allied ships over the last 2 days including 4 DDs in surface and air actions off Samarinda. In return, one of Bombur's subs put a torpedo in CVE Taiyo....she most likely will not make it back to port.

MALAYA:

IJA troops overrun Alor Star and now there are major drives to the south on the Malay peninsula on both the west and east coasts.

Japanese bombers have been hammering the Allied airfield at Georgetown.

CENTPAC:

After securing Palmyra, KB heads southwest to support the invasion of Canton. The first attack on the 15th was unsuccessful but we are hopeful of capturing the island tomorrow:

Day Air attack on Canton Island , at 100,100

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
B5N2 Kate x 114

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
270 casualties reported
Guns lost 7
Vehicles lost 3

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Canton Island

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2193 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 66

Defending force 1092 troops, 22 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese max assault: 92 - adjusted assault: 0

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 2

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
147 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
175 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

The Maizuru SNLF units hangs on at Wake by its thumbnails against Allied counterattacks.....a major invasion supported by KB is planned to hit Wake in about a week.

Nauru is captured.

I havent spotted the USN CVs even once since the war began so I have postponed the invasion of Rabaul for 2 weeks untill KB is available to cover.

PI:

Japan captures San Fernando, San Jose and Lucena.

In a disgrace to Japanese arms, Bombur excecutes a daring counterattack at Lamon Bay and recaptures the base.

DEI:

Japan sinks 4 USN DDs off the coast of Borneo as troops went ashore at Samarinda.

Japan captures Miri, Samarinda and Kuching. IMHO, Kuching is one of the most important bases for Japan to capture at the start of the war. I immediately staged 100 Nells/Bettys and 50 A6M2s to Kuching to isolate Singapore and complete destruction of all Allied shipping in the South China Sea.

Japan invades at Amboina and Singkawang.

Here is a screenshot of the situation in around Borneo:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 8
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/22/2007 12:38:08 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Thanx for the info. Ive lost 140 AC to flak in 7 days.....20 AC per day and those losses are unsustainable. I have been bombing at 15,000 feet....maybe I will try bombing at 25,000 feet. I also am concerned about the amount of resources.....I may make a major invasion of Australia just to pick up more resources.

Flak is a major pain in the butt in this mod. IJ flak still sucks but allied is much more effective... even Chinese flak regularly inflicts 10-20% losses and 30-40% damaged.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 9
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/22/2007 2:15:19 AM   
bradfordkay

You mentioned that you wanted to grab Cagayan early because the allied player can bring in masses of 4E bombers in the early going. I thought that I'd let you know that in this scenario the allied player does not have masses of 4E bombers in the early going. I've still made them effective, as our house rules allow 4E naval attack (as long as the squadron is set to 50% naval search). I only wish that I had demanded a similar restriction on Betties/Nells...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 10
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/23/2007 12:25:04 AM   
racndoc

SITUATION REPORT: DECEMBER 16TH-17TH, 1941

CENTRAL PACIFC:

KB supports the invasion and capture of Canton. With both Palmyra and Canton under Japanese control. Bombur cant stage medium bombers across the Pacific. And his convoys from the USA to Australia will be greatly delayed as they will have to take a more southerly route.

KB heads back to Kwajalein to take on AC replacements.

MALAYA:

5th Division overruns Georgetown and now 4 IJA divisions are moving rapidly south towards Singapore along both the coastal and the mountain roads.

18th Division is attempting to isolate 2 Allied LCUs in Kuantan.

PI:

Japan sends reinforcements to Legaspi and invades at Cayagan and Davao. San Jose is captured but in a powerful counterattack, IJA troops in Lamon Bay are forced to retreat to Lucena. CVE Taiyo sinks off the easst coast of Luzon taking a Kate group with her.

CHINA:

Another deliberate attack at Hong Kong reduces the fort level to 2. My anti-guerilla campaign has nearly mopped up all the Communist Chinese guerillas in eastern China north of Shanghai. IJA Nates get the better of the P-40Es in an air battle over Changsha:

Day Air attack on Changsha , at 45,37

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 41
Ki-30 Ann x 41
Ki-51 Sonia x 38
Ki-15 Babs x 2

Allied aircraft
P-35A x 1
P-40B Tomahawk x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 4 destroyed, 6 damaged

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 48

DEI:

Amboina and Singkawang are captured and naval bombers are immediately staged into both bases. A mixed Betty/Nell force flying out of Kuching hits a large Allied transport TF off Palembang:

Day Air attack on TF, near Palembang at 20,55

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 50
G3M Nell x 43
G4M1 Betty x 16

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
MSW Tanager, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Basilan, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Palawan
AK Capillo, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paz
AK Governor Wood, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AO Pecos, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP President Madison, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Fortuna, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Bisayas

I made a final attempt to finish off CA Houston off the east coast of Java but my CAs pump 8" shells into a hapless PG while my DDs bounce 5" ammo off the Allied cruisers:

Day Time Surface Combat at 21,58

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 1
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 2
CA Kumano
DD Maikaze, Shell hits 1
DD Nowaki, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hagikaze
DD Inazuma

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 7, on fire
CL Dragon, Shell hits 2
CL Durban, Shell hits 4, on fire
PG Isabel, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage

Hopefully my Bettys/Nells find this surface TF out in the open tomorrow.

Here is a screenshot of the action in nBorneo and Malaya:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 11
CARNAGE IN THE JAVA SEA - 10/24/2007 10:20:54 AM   
racndoc

SITUATION REPORT: DECEMBER 18th- 19th, 1941

DEI:

I plan on hitting Palembang with a few naval bombardments to disrupt the engineers there before I invade to reduce the damage to the oil facilities. The first naval bombardment is fairly effective:

Naval bombardment of Palembang, at 20,55

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Lockheed 212: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Takao
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied Ships
PG Oahu, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Luzon, Shell hits 2, on fire
AK Panay, Shell hits 1, on fire
PG Tulsa, Shell hits 1, on fire
ML Pro Patria, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Shell hits 1, on fire
PC Napa, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Shell hits 2, on fire
TK P. P. Buisman, Shell hits 3, on fire
AK Joan Moller, Shell hits 1, on fire
AK Anshun, Shell hits 2, on fire
AK Ben Nevis, Shell hits 2, on fire
AO Pecos, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Latouche, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Shell hits 1, on fire
AK Bisayas, Shell hits 1, on fire
PC Genesee, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
ML William van der Zaan, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
955 casualties reported
Guns lost 13
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 14
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 5

The Nells/ Bettys based at Kuching and the Kates/Anns based at Singkawang ravage Allied shipping in the Java Sea and in port at Palembang and Batavia:

Day Air attack on TF, near Toboali at 21,57

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Mapia, Bomb hits 10, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF, near Soerabaja at 23,66

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 6
G4M1 Betty x 20

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 3
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
TK Anastasia, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Siantar, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
ML Soemenep, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Van der Bosch, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK P. J. Duinker, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Day Air attack on Palembang , at 20,55

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
G3M Nell x 33
G4M1 Betty x 18
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
PG Asheville, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
ML William van der Zaan, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Luzon, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Joan Moller, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Anakan, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AO Pecos, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Capillo, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 1

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 8

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 3
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
TK Benakat, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Mijer, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF, near Tarakan at 34,60

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
TK Angelina, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
B5N2 Kate x 6
Ki-30 Ann x 57

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 6 damaged

Allied Ships
ML Kung Wo, Bomb hits 12, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ulysses, Bomb hits 12, on fire, heavy damage
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 2
MSW Goulburn, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AE Poyang, Bomb hits 4, on fire
AP Manoora

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G3M Nell x 68
G4M1 Betty x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied Ships
ML Kung Wo, on fire, heavy damage
CL Mauritius, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Burnie, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Maryborough, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PC Raub

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 64
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Anakan, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paz, Bomb hits 2, on fire
PC Napa, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PG Oahu, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Latouche, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Capillo, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Panay, Bomb hits 1
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 2

Day Air attack on Batavia , at 20,60

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
G3M Nell x 39
G4M1 Betty x 15

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 9 damaged

Allied Ships
MSW Bogor, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Bantam, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Buyskens, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Van Riebeek, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
ML Rigel, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK Semiramis, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Pijnacker Hordijk, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Port hits 3

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M Nell x 13

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 3
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AVD Reiger, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Vyner Brooke, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PC Wega, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

An Allied surface TF including CL Boise, apparently intent on breaking up the Japanese landings at Samarinda, is hit by Bettys off the SW coast of Borneo:

Day Air attack on TF at 26,66

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 6

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CL Boise
DD Van Nes, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

After damaging CA Houston in the central PI and then chasing her unsuccessfully through the South China Sea and the Java Sea, SS I-155 catches up with her off Soerabaja port:

Sub attack near Soerabaja at 23,66

Japanese Ships
SS I-155

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

MALAYA:

4th Division launches an amphibious assault at Mersing as 4 divisions race south down the Malay peninsula.

A major assault is ordered at Taiping for tomorrow.

In an effort to reduce my flak losses over Singapore, I send the Sallys in at 27,000 feet. The losses are acceptable but only 1 hit is scored on the airfield:

Day Air attack on Singapore , at 22,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 21
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 10
Ki-21-II Sally x 82
Ki-46-II Dinah x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Runway hits 1

The next day the Sallys are sent in at 20,000 feet. Losses are still acceptable but only 14 hits are scored on the airfield:

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 25
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 28
Ki-21-II Sally x 83
Ki-48-I Lily x 21
Ki-46-II Dinah x 6

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 6 damaged
Ki-48-I Lily: 2 damaged
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
66 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 14

Tomorrow I will send the bombers in at 17,000 feet.

PHILIPPINES:

On the 18th, Japan captures Lingayen but Bombur counterattacks at Lucena and kills off the remaining 400 defenders.

On the 19th, Cayagan is unexpectedly captured by the 16th and 56th Divisions on the first assault and 1 Philippine division and a regiment surrender:

Ground combat at Cagayan

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 25472 troops, 93 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 741

Defending force 8257 troops, 83 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 213

Japanese max assault: 1314 - adjusted assault: 1566

Allied max defense: 178 - adjusted defense: 376

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Cagayan base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
490 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
13895 casualties reported
Guns lost 66

After just their 4th day after arriving in the PI, the 16th and 56th Divisons are now released for redeployment to Luzon.

With Bombur dispersing the American/Philippino troops all over Luzon, a decision is made to revise the OOB for Luzon and attempt to pin the Allied troops down in their dispersed positions in order to destroy them piecemeal. Bombur has approximately 37,000 troops in Manila, 12,000 in Clark, 13,000 in Lamon Bay, 6,000 in Naga, 6,000 in Lucena, 6000 in Baguio and 4 LCUs in Baguio.

2nd Division is diverted to Lingayen to join 48th Division and 65th Brigade in a drive on Clark Field, 16th Division is sent to Legaspi to join 21st Division in a drive on Manila, 56th Division is sent to Lamon Bay to pin the 13,000 Allied troops there, and Shuzan Naval Guards and 7th Tank Regiment are ordered to pin down the 6000 Allied troops at Baguio.

56th Brigade is ordered to assault Davao tomorrow and a NLG is investing Cotabato.

Mindanao is reduced in less than a week.

Here is a screenshot of the dispositions in the PI:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 12
RE: CARNAGE IN THE JAVA SEA - 10/24/2007 7:16:58 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

IMHO there's no real reason to pay so much attention early on to Luzon. Once you get Mindanao and Borneo and place there your betty/nells, the communication lines to Luzon will be cut off for the allies, giving you free forces to get DEI sooner than expected and possibly invade OZ before he's able to reinforce it (assuming the threat of the KB in the pacific will keep him from sending big convoys to OZ).
The threat of the 4Es you mentioned it's not really a point imho, at least at this stage of war. Too few 4Es and with the Luzon supply situation which gets worse every day i really think he'll be crazy to mass use his bombers from there.
My 2cents are: pinn your enemy at Luzon using some minor units. Occupy Naga and Legaspy and force him to withdrew to Manila-Clark-Bataan triangle, then go ahead and go for Malaya,DEI and SRA that will be taken easily...then you'll be in a position that will let you chose: India or Oz.
Luzon is gonna fall when its time will come, and will be up to up deciding when and how....

just my 2 cents

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 13
RE: CARNAGE IN THE JAVA SEA - 10/24/2007 7:28:57 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Just 2 more thoughts...
Probably i'm thinking way too far, but when the SRA-DEI-PI will be conquered i'll consider the idea of going for India instead of Oz.
The problem with India is Burma, which takes quite amount of time to be conquered, due to the jungle and the road system.
My opinion is: by-pass Burma and go for a strong invasion force directly to Bagladesh...Burma will be doomed.

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 14
RE: CARNAGE IN THE JAVA SEA - 10/25/2007 8:50:14 AM   
trollelite

It surprises me that there is still someone who like to defend lamon bay.

Post #: 15
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/27/2007 3:15:48 AM   
racndoc

TWO WEEKS INTO THE WAR.......DECEMBER 21st, 1941

General Hoepner and trollelite.....I agree with both of your sentiments here.

I was originally planning on bypassing the final Allied redoubt on Luzon in order to prosecute the war in the DEI as quickly as possible. Bombur's aggressive counterattack at Lamon Bay really surprised me.....hadnt seen that one before and even though he pushed me out he left 13,000 troops out of position....it will take them 2 weeks to move back to Manila and I now have an opportunity to pin down the scattered Allied formations throughout Luzon and destroy them piecemeal. Another 13,000 Allied troops were pinned down in Baguio today. Luzon can possibly be overrun in a coup de main before the end of 1941. I think it was worth the chance. I wasnt planning on attacking Java anyway until the fall of Singapore.

MALAYA:

The IJA juggernaut rolls over Taiping as the Allies race back to Singapore in full retreat.

Ground combat at Taiping

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 57033 troops, 288 guns, 62 vehicles, Assault Value =

Defending force 2328 troops, 15 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese max assault: 1360 - adjusted assault: 594

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 118 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Taiping base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
160 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
Vehicles lost 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

4th Division has nearly completed its landing and 33rd Division is right behind it.

Ground combat at Mersing

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4108 troops, 44 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 198

Defending force 21516 troops, 124 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 447

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Japanese LRCAP over Mersing is doing a fairly good job at keeping the Allied naval bombers at bay:

Day Air attack on TF, near Mersing at 23,50

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14

Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 9
Buffalo I x 12
Vildebeest IV x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Shikinami
DD Hatsuyuki

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Kuri

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 19

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
AK Hajo Maru

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 19

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 3
Vildebeest IV x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
AP Tatsuwa Maru, Torpedo hits 1

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported

Bad weather continues to ground the Japanese airforce at Khota Bharu. A "fair weather " airfield will be opened at Johore Bharu ASAP.

CHINA:

Slow going at Hong Kong as thunderstroms have hit the China theatre for 13 of the first 14 days of the war. The Japanese airforce is almost always grounded here so we are behind schedule in disrupting the defenders of HK. Minesweepers and troop transports stand by at Canton awaiting the final capitulation of the British garrison there. The forts have been reduced to zero so a deliberate attack will be ordered on the 22nd.

PI:

IJA troops move to Baguio and pin down 13,000 Allied troops here.

On Mindanao, Cotabato and Davao are captured. The remaining Philippino troops on the island are pushed back to make a final stand at Dadjangas.

Ground combat at Davao

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 14936 troops, 48 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 273

Defending force 3150 troops, 36 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 94

Japanese max assault: 540 - adjusted assault: 598

Allied max defense: 87 - adjusted defense: 112

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Davao base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
328 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Allied ground losses:
54 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

The Japanese airforce on Formosa is again grounded by thunderstorms. I should have a "fair weather" level 4 airfield completed at Tuegugaro in a few days.

DEI:

Japanese assault TFs converge at Samarinda for an assault on Balikpappan.

An invasion force departs Amboina for Kendari and its level 4 airfield.

Japanese divebombers, Nells, Bettys and Kates continue to pummel Allied shipping in the area:

Day Air attack on TF at 39,74

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 28
G4M1 Betty x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AVD William B. Preston, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Montanes, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AK Mauban, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF at 36,71

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
TK Longwood, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF at 39,66

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AVD Sirius, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 73
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

Allied Ships
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Joan Moller, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AE Poyang, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Goulburn, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Bomb hits 1
AK Palawan, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
AK Panay, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Latouche, Bomb hits 3, heavy damage
AK Paz, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
PC Napa, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bisayas, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
MSW Burnie, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ulysses, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PG Oahu, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 2

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 23
G3M Nell x 48

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 7 damaged

Allied Ships
AE Poyang, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Panay, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Oahu, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PC Napa, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ulysses, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Attachment (1)

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 16
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/28/2007 6:29:17 AM   
racndoc

SITUATION REPORT: DECEMBER 22nd, 1941

So much for the best laid plans of mice and men. Somehow, my 50,000 plus assault troops at Lingayen that had moved 45 miles towards Clark yesterday reset their movement and now sit at Lingayen with no orders. On top of that, after shock attacking 13,000 Allied troops at Baguio yesterday the Americans and Philippinos that had been defending there arrived at Clark today so obviously their movement was not reset...the bugs in this game are very strange and confusing at times.

You cant predict what your opponent is going to do as far as reinforcing or withdrawing from bases so I always try to build operational flexibility into my troop allocations to deal with this. This also helps when game bugs show up. So my effort to pin down Allied troops in Baguio was a dismal failure. No reason anymore to commit to a major offensive in Luzon this early in the war.

The coup de main against Luzon is now cancelled......16th and 56th Divisions are now re-routed for future offensive operations in the DEI.

DEI:

I was going to wait until Singapore surrendered before invading Palembang but Bombur now has 5 units there....obviously he is airlifting units out of Singapore to reinforce Palembang.....probably base units. I need to attack now sooner than later. I had a horrible die roll when I captured Brunei...a bombardment beforehand and only a deliberate attack was ordered but still 205 out of 300 oil points were disabled so I cannot afford another debacle like this at Palembang....2 naval bombardments are ordered for tomorrow and an operation is launched to capture Singkep to provide a fighter base to cover the Palembang operation.

Likewise, 2 naval bombardments will hit Balikpappan tomorrow and with an invasion scheduled right afterwards.

The divebombers at Singkawang continue to thrash Allied shipping in port at Palembang:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 73
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Panay, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Latouche, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Joan Moller, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anakan, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Goulburn, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Bomb hits 3, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AE Poyang, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paz, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PC Genesee, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ulysses, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bisayas, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PC Bellatrix, Bomb hits 1, on fire
TK P. P. Buisman, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 4

WEATHER:

The weather sucks as thunderstorms envelop Malaya, Burma, China, PI and THE DEI. I really want to have advanced weather for FoW effects but the constant thunderstorms are ruining the game......my airforce is almost always grounded. At least morale is built up and fatigue is reduced for the bomber groups as we wait for clear weather. Hopefully Bombur has similar bad weather when he starts his aerial counteroffensive out of India in a few months.

CENTRAL PACIFIC:

KB pulls into Kwajalein and takes on fuel and much needed AC replacements. 40 A6M2s are loaded using up the remainder of the excellent pre-war pilots. Another 80 Kates and Vals are loaded with green pilots.....their training will commence at Wake in a couple of days as a new Wake invasion force is sent out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 10/28/2007 1:47:10 PM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 17
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/28/2007 4:19:47 PM   
trollelite

Yeah, this is a problem. Even if you fight admirably and your opponent do it miserably, he could still deny you a victory by burning most of oil and resource, and by no other reason than good luck! This and similar problem robbed much of fun from game. The Japs simply too weak to make a balanced game so it could never  be very popular.

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 18
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/30/2007 5:30:55 AM   
racndoc

SITUATION REPORT: 12-23-41

PI:

Baguio is captured and 60,000 IJA troops converge on Manila. Bombur attempts to counterattack at Naga but suffers heavy losses:

Ground combat at Naga

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12427 troops, 99 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 364

Defending force 27329 troops, 80 guns, 85 vehicles, Assault Value = 586

Allied max assault: 341 - adjusted assault: 51

Japanese max defense: 618 - adjusted defense: 1247

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
43 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
1701 casualties reported
Guns lost 30

CHINA:

Hong Kong is finally captured:

Ground combat at Hong Kong

Attacking force 52143 troops, 319 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 974

Defending force 15112 troops, 54 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 292

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese max assault: 1013 - adjusted assault: 891

Allied max defense: 238 - adjusted defense: 121

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Hong Kong base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
312 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Allied ground losses:
17224 casualties reported
Guns lost 38
Vehicles lost 1

Interestingly, several MSWs that were sent to Canton were fired on by the CD guns at Hong Kong....3 MSWs sink and another 3 MSWs have heavy damage.

DEI:

Balikpappan and Tarakan are hit by multiple naval bombardments. An amphibious assault will hit Balikpappan tomorrow.

Naval bombardment of Tarakan, at 34,60

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
CL Kuma
CL Natori
CA Ashigara
CA Maya

Allied Ships
AK Tobelo, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Siaoe, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
TK JMG den Hartog, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AK Sipirok, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
TK Colina, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AK Van der Lijn, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied ground losses:
194 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 18
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 3

Naval bombardment of Balikpapan, at 31,64

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro
CA Chokai
BB Yamashiro
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
386 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 7
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 3

Naval bombardment of Balikpapan, at 31,64

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
CA Myoko
CL Isuzu
CA Nachi

Allied ground losses:
225 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Runway hits 7
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 2

Palembang is hit again with naval bombardments:

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
C-60A Lodestar: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
CA Takao
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

Allied Ships
MSW Goulburn, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Burnie, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bisayas, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AE Poyang, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Palawan, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paz, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Panay, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
448 casualties reported
Guns lost 10

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 7
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 2

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
C-60A Lodestar: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami

Allied Ships
AK Bisayas, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
TK P. P. Buisman, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
PC Bellatrix, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paz, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Burnie, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PG Asheville, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anakan, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AE Poyang, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ben Nevis, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK Anglo Indian, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AK Palawan, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Goulburn, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Tulsa, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
180 casualties reported

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 30
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Japanese dive bombers hit Palembang port again:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 66

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Paz, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bisayas, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bonketoe, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PC Genesee, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AK Anshun, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
PG Tulsa, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 3

MALAYA:

The weather finally clears enough for Japanese level bombers to hit Singapore:

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 34
Ki-21-II Sally x 85
Ki-48-I Lily x 27
Ki-46-II Dinah x 6

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 18 damaged
Ki-48-I Lily: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 23

4th and 33rd Divisions are nearly completely ashore at Mersing and an all out shock attack is ordered for tomorrow.

Bombur appears to be making a stand at Kuala Lampur....recon shows 12 units entrenching there. Meanwhile an IJA spearhead charges down the mountain road and threatens to cut off over half the British/Commonwealth forces from Singapore:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 19
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 10/31/2007 9:27:19 AM   
racndoc

SITUATION REPORT: 12-24-41

MALAYA:

4TH AND 33RD Divisions rout the 2 Australian brigades defending Mersing:

Ground combat at Mersing

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 48472 troops, 215 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 923

Defending force 10636 troops, 108 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 199

Japanese max assault: 1778 - adjusted assault: 1496

Allied max defense: 188 - adjusted defense: 145

Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Mersing base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
912 casualties reported
Guns lost 15

Allied ground losses:
65 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

The 2 IJA divisions are odered to advance on Johore Bharu from Mersing while 18th Division advances on Johore Bharu from the north.

Kuantan is overrun and 5th, 55th and Imperial Guards Divisions advance on Kuala Lampur from the north.

Another ineffectual airstrike is landed at Singapore....71 Sallys/Lilys score but 9 hits on the runway:

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 38
Ki-21-II Sally x 52
Ki-48-I Lily x 19
Ki-46-II Dinah x 6

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 17 damaged
Ki-48-I Lily: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 9

CHINA:

38th Division moves back to Canton where it is currently loading onto transports. It will be used either to support the invasion at Mersing or to back up an early invasion of Java.

MSWs begin to sweep the minefields at Hong Kong.

CENTRAL PACIFIC:

Training begins for the new Kate and Val pilots as KB sinks an AO off Wake Island and softens up the CD unit there:

Day Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 85,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 23
D3A2 Val x 22
B5N2 Kate x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AO Robert L Barnes, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on Wake Island , at 85,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
B5N2 Kate x 139

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
379 casualties reported
Guns lost 12
Vehicles lost 2

Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 7

The crack A6M2 pilots of KB sweep the Marines from the skies without loss:

Day Air attack on Wake Island , at 85,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 7 destroyed

DEI:

Japanese troops invade at Balikpappan and capture Kendari:

Ground combat at Kendari

Attacking force 3579 troops, 14 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 153

Defending force 1182 troops, 4 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 14

Japanese max assault: 89 - adjusted assault: 93

Allied max defense: 12 - adjusted defense: 3

Japanese assault odds: 31 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kendari base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
42 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
46 casualties reported

Sub I-123 catches a Dutch cruiser force off Bali and puts 2 torpedoes in CL DeRuyter:

Sub attack at 25,68

Japanese Ships
SS I-123, hits 1

Allied Ships
CL De Ruyter, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Alden
DD Piet Hein
DD Kortenaer

The Nells/Bettys based at Kuching make a major raid on the port at Soerabaja. CA Houston uses up another one of her 9 lives as she takes another torpedo:

Day Air attack on Soerabaja , at 23,66

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
G3M Nell x 126
G4M1 Betty x 26
H6K4 Mavis x 2

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 2
Brewster 339D x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G3M Nell: 28 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 3 damaged
H6K4 Mavis: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 2 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PT TM-11, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD John D. Edwards, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Tromp, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Paul Jones, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Exeter, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Van Ghent, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Marblehead, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Port hits 6

Bombur tries to sneak a transport TF into or out of Palembang and it is met by divebombers off Muntok:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Muntok at 21,55

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
B5N2 Kate x 8
Ki-30 Ann x 41

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Darvel, Bomb hits 1
AK Matang
AK Pangkor, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Larut, Bomb hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AK Kedah, Bomb hits 4, on fire
AK Mangola

Divebombers work over another TF off Palembang:

Day Air attack on TF, near Muntok at 21,55

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
Ki-30 Ann x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Pangkor, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Kedah, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

A bombardment TF sinks 5 Allied ships in port at Tarakan:

Naval bombardment of Tarakan, at 34,60

Japanese Ships
CL Tama
BB Ise
BB Mutsu

Allied Ships
AK Sipirok, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Van der Lijn, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Tobelo, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
TK Colina, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Siaoe, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
131 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 12
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 4
Port supply hits 4

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 10/31/2007 9:28:24 AM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 20
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/4/2007 3:54:33 PM   
racndoc

DECEMBER 25TH, 1942

MALAYA:

Armored spearheads from Mersing and northern Malaya converge on Johore Bharu today, completely isolating a pocket of over 35,000 Allied troops in Kuala Lampur. Imperial Guards, 5th and 55th Divisions should invest Kuala Lampur tomorrow. The 2 IJA divisions at Mersing should arrive in Johore Bharu tomorrow.

56th, 16th and 38th Divisons, currently in transit to Kuching for the invasion of Java, are all re-routed to Mersing as Japan has a golden opportunity to pocket half of the British/Commonwealth Malayan garrison in Kuala Lampur and destroy the Allied troops at Singapore and Kuala Lampur in detail.

DEI:

Sinkep Island is captured by 91st NLG and Oscars and A6M2s are immediately staged in. Japan now has a forward fighter base to cover the invasion of Palembang.

Balikpappan falls in a deliberate attack and another 3500 Dutch troops surrender. The oil facilities are captured mostly intact here....only 22 out of 400 oil points are damaged. Engineers are rushed in to repair the airfields damaged by the heavy naval bombardments. Balikpappan will give us another level 4 Betty base to hit Java with so it will be made operational ASAP.

At Brunei, 205 of 300 oil points had been sabotaged by the retreating Dutch engineers so over 80,000 supply is on the way to facilitate repairs here.

Assault troops will go ashore at Makassar tomorrow.

Tarakan will be invaded in 2 days.

Bettys/Neiis from Kuching continue to hit the Allied cruisers ain port at Soerabaja:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
G3M Nell x 39
H6K4 Mavis x 2

Allied aircraft
CW-21B Demon x 1
Brewster 339D x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G3M Nell: 13 damaged
H6K4 Mavis: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Exeter, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported

Port hits 1

PI:

Naga falls in a surprisingly easy assault as 3 Philippino divisions are pushed back to Lucena:

Ground combat at Naga

Attacking force 28130 troops, 114 guns, 85 vehicles, Assault Value =

Defending force 9697 troops, 48 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 172

Japanese max assault: 632 - adjusted assault: 891

Allied max defense: 122 - adjusted defense: 29

Japanese assault odds: 30 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Naga base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
271 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
279 casualties reported
Guns lost 14

Undefended Ormac is captured.

60,000 troops from Lingayen should arrive at Clark Field tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 11/4/2007 4:00:53 PM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 21
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/8/2007 7:06:22 PM   
racndoc

DECEMBER 26th-27th, 1941

DEI:

Makassar is captured and IJN troops go ashore at Tarakan. After 2 more naval bombardments a deliberate attack will be ordered at Tarakan tomorrow.

The Nells and Bettys are sent over Soerabaja port at 9000 feet today and the results are much more impressive:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
G3M Nell x 71
G4M1 Betty x 38
H6K4 Mavis x 2

Allied aircraft
Hawk 75A x 1
Brewster 339D x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
G3M Nell: 3 destroyed, 20 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 14 damaged
H6K4 Mavis: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hawk 75A: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CA Exeter, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Tromp, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Dragon, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Boise, Torpedo hits 2
AK Van der Bosch, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Edsall, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
PT TM-14, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Sumatra, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Van Ghent, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PG Soemba, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Benkalis, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
59 casualties reported

Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2

Nells and Bettys continue to sink Allied shipping at sea:

Day Air attack on TF, near Teloekbetoeng at 19,58

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 11
G4M1 Betty x 20

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Van Spilbergen, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Lematang, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Bombur uses his B-17s in an attempt to destroy the oil facilities at Balikpappan but the A6M2s are waiting for them:

Day Air attack on Balikpapan , at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 15
B-17E Fortress x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 2 destroyed, 10 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Oil hits 1

4 B-17s are shot down vs a loss of one oil point......I will accept that rate of exchange.

CENTRAL PACIFIC:

KB bombs Wake Island port and airfield again for the 5th day in a row as the Kate training program continues. The naval troops will storm ashore in 2-3 days.

Undefended Nukufetau is captured as Japan extends its perimeter.

Allied shipping is hit by Nells at Fanning Island:

Day Air attack on TF, near Fanning Island at 114,92

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 18

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied Ships
AK Haleakala, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

PI:

14th Army with 60,000 troops invests Clark.

Allied shipping at Manila is hit by naval bopmbers:

Day Air attack on Manila , at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 6
C5M Babs x 2
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
C5M Babs: 1 damaged
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AS Otus, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported

Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B5N2 Kate bombing at 9000 feet
Day Air attack on Manila , at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-II Sally x 38
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2
Ki-15 Babs x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 6 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AS Otus, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Don Jose, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Churruca, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
180 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 1

Port hits 7
Port supply hits 1

MALAYA:

The "super Kate" bombers are unleashed at Singapore for the first time at 27,000 feet and the results are dramatic in comparison to the Sallys:

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 61
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
66 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 49

Very few Kates are damaged or lost to AA. The Kates suffer minimal morale loss and fatigue accumulation. My normal Singapore attack with 100 plus Sallys was lucky to score 12-15 runway hits at a cost of 30-35% Sallys destroyed/damaged and survivors with morale in the 20s.

Japan lauches its first assault at Johore Bharu:

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Attacking force 21479 troops, 205 guns, 117 vehicles, Assault Value =

Defending force 8488 troops, 31 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 137

Japanese max assault: 314 - adjusted assault: 121

Allied max defense: 111 - adjusted defense: 77

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Japanese ground losses:
123 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
446 casualties reported
Guns lost 14
Vehicles lost 1

The forts are reduced here and the fate of the 35,000 Allied troops isolated in Kuala Lampur is sealed:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 11/9/2007 5:50:41 AM >

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 22
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/9/2007 12:50:58 AM   
trollelite

Banzai! Banzai!!! Unbelievably he debuts a Pearl Harbor Act II ...

Marvelous, just marvelous.... as Belisarius always like to say....

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 23
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/9/2007 12:55:26 AM   
trollelite

Dear Admiral, perhaps you could make this post "Hoepner - Free", too....

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 24
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/9/2007 1:01:01 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: trollelite

Dear Admiral, perhaps you could make this post "Hoepner - Free", too....

I'm still waiting for my PH dear opponent...

Sorry Admiral to hyjack your thread. However great move in Malaya! Seems quite strange that he had left so many men trapped up there

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 25
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/9/2007 1:23:42 AM   
trollelite

The Mersing amphi- strategy is an old trick, once it flourished, but then, as people realized the level 1 port and road impedes quick advancement.... Some guys resort to combine it with airborne assualt, as my current Jap opponent. It however only works against unprepared allies commander.

Post #: 26
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/10/2007 12:14:30 AM   
racndoc

trollelite and General Hoepner.....

Thanx for the comments. I agree with you trollelite about the time it takes for units landing at Mersing to make it to Johore Bharu. It seems like its been over a week since I invaded at Mersing and the 2 divisions that made the invasion, 4th and 33rd, still havent reached Johore Bharu. Thankfully the 18th Division and the tanks and engineers that made it overland from Khota Bharu were enough to cut off the Allies in Kuala Lampur.

General Hoepner.....Im not sure why Bombur left so many troops in Kuala Lampur, but I think he stayed in his forts at Alor Star and Georgetown way too long after I had broken through at Khota Bharu.

DECEMBER 28TH, 1941

PHILIPPINES:

The noose tightens around the Allies on Luzon as Lucena is captured:

Ground combat at Lucena

Attacking force 25793 troops, 110 guns, 86 vehicles, Assault Value =

Defending force 7945 troops, 2 guns, 93 vehicles, Assault Value = 150

Japanese max assault: 563 - adjusted assault: 246

Allied max defense: 113 - adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 12 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Lucena base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
212 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 4

Allied ground losses:
444 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 4

The Allies are now pushed back to Clark/Manila/Bataan.

56th Brigade mops up the final pocket of resistance on Mindanao:

Ground combat at Dadjangas

Attacking force 10532 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 140

Defending force 2127 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 66

Japanese max assault: 110 - adjusted assault: 45

Allied max defense: 56 - adjusted defense: 13

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Dadjangas base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
113 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
3659 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

The Philippine 101st Reserve Division is forced to surrender.

Bombur sends his last PT boats out of Manila in a final escape attempt but they are hunted down by Japanese DDs:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Puerto Princesa at 39,55

Japanese Ships
DD Minekaze
DD Asagao
DD Fuyo
DD Karukaya

Allied Ships
PT PT-32, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
PT PT-34, Shell hits 3, on fire
PT Q 111, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
PT MTB 7
PT MTB 11, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Puerto Princesa at 39,55

Japanese Ships
DD Minekaze
DD Asagao
DD Fuyo
DD Karukaya

Allied Ships
PT PT-34, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT MTB 7, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

DEI:

Tarakan is captured with 95 out of 100 oil facility points intact:

Ground combat at Tarakan

Attacking force 8738 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 246

Defending force 476 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 22

Japanese max assault: 232 - adjusted assault: 109

Allied max defense: 19 - adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 21 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Tarakan base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Do 24K-2: 1 destroyed
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
211 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Fighter sweeps by A6M2s over Soerabaja have destroyed over 40 Allied fighters over the last 5 days. The Dutch have a very limited number of fighter replacements in CHS and once they are gone
its lights out for the Allies in Java.

The Nell/Betty strike over Soerabaja is now nearly unopposed:

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26
G3M Nell x 70
G4M1 Betty x 12
H6K4 Mavis x 2

Allied aircraft
Hawk 75A x 1
Brewster 339D x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 damaged
G3M Nell: 2 destroyed, 12 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hawk 75A: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CL Durban, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CL Boise, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Edsall, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS KX, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Pieter de Bitter, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL De Ruyter, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PT TM-10, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Exeter, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
ML Krakatau, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS KVII, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Evertsen, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AS Zuiderkruis, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Java, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Dragon, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Allied ground losses:
110 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Port hits 12
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

CA Houston, CA Exeter and CL Durban are sunk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 27
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/11/2007 6:50:10 PM   
racndoc

DECEMBER 29TH, 1941

Lots of action in the peripheral "forgotten" theaters today.

CENTRAL PACIFIC:

After a week of aerial bombardment by KB, IJN troops storm ashore and capture Wake Island:

Ground combat at Wake Island

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 5000 troops, 37 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 147

Defending force 872 troops, 13 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese max assault: 180 - adjusted assault: 76

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 76 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wake Island base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
294 casualties reported
Guns lost 10

Allied ground losses:
1731 casualties reported
Guns lost 37
Vehicles lost 1

This makes up for the embarrasing defeat here on Dec. 7th. The loss of the better part of the Maizuru SNLF has been avenged.

KB's operations are now complete in the central Pacific as Japan has established its eastern perimeter: Wake/Palmyra/Baker/Canton Islands.

Construction engineers, aviation personel, combat troops, CD units and supplies are on the way to all of these islands. I eventually want level 4 airfields with Bettys at Wake, Palmyra and Canton. KB will eventually need to be withdrawn for a future offensive against either India or Australia in March, 1942 so I'm looking at these islands as a picket line again a possible Allied counterthrust.

CV Akagi had the most heavily attritioned Kate squadron during the Pearl Harbor attacks....14 Kates were taken on as replacements at Kwajalein. After a week of bombing Wake Island, their experience has increased from 60 to 68. More Kate training lies ahead in the south Pacific.

With operations complete in the eastern Pacific. KB has been released to support a thrust into the south Pacific. KB will refuel at Truk in 2 days and cover landings at Rabaul within the week.

MALAYA:

4th and 33rd Divisions finally complete the march to Johore Bharu and throw the hapless AIF Brigades back into Singapore in a deliberate attack:

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Attacking force 65538 troops, 391 guns, 116 vehicles, Assault Value =

Defending force 7480 troops, 9 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 109

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese max assault: 1071 - adjusted assault: 1049

Allied max defense: 90 - adjusted defense: 15

Japanese assault odds: 69 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Johore Bahru base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
210 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Allied ground losses:
923 casualties reported
Guns lost 4
Vehicles lost 1

Of the 12 Allied brigades that started the war in Malaya, 7 are at Kuala Lampur and one is 60 miles north of Mersing so that leaves a total of 4 brigades available to defend Singapore.....and 2 of these are the demoralized AIF brigades that have been retreated twice. A decision is made to storm Singapore immediately with just the 4th and 33rd Divisions along with engineers, arty, and 2 tank regiments.

CHINA/BURMA/INDIA

Not much commentary on this important theater so far in the war. The campaign to eradicate the ChiCom guerilla units in eastern China has been largely successful...only 2 pockets of guerillas remain east and north of the Yellow River.

In Burma, the 21st Mixed Regiment completed its march through the jungle and captured a deserted Moulmein today. The Allies have 2 brigades dug in just across the river from Moulmein and another 28,000 troops in Rangoon. Further advances here will remain on hold until reinforcements are brought up. Im still debating an operation to surround and destroy the Allied forces in Rangoon vs an amphibiuos assault into India directly that bypasses Burma. If recon shows that Bombur has pulled units out of India(like the Ghurhkas) to defend Burma or Java I will definitely consider an immediate invasion of India following the capture of Malaya and Java.

The 1st Para Regiment captures Port Blair in the Andaman Islands today. Virtually all the Japanese transport AC will now airlift construction engineers, aviation personel and supplies to this important base. I want to develop Port Blair into a level 4 Betty base ASAP to close the Bay of Bengal to the Royal Navy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 28
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/11/2007 8:48:32 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Hi, try a combined assault on rangoon. Paradrop your SNLF regiments on the 2 bases south and west of Mandalay exactly the same day when you troops unload at Rangoon and your regiments cross the Mouleim river....that could be a good trap

(in reply to racndoc)
Post #: 29
RE: CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUA... - 11/12/2007 5:01:36 AM   
racndoc

General Hoepner....excellent idea on the Rangoon operation. I will try to get as many paratrooper formations in position as possible before assaulting Rangoon.

DECEMBER 31st, 1941........END OF YEAR ANALYSIS

For a Historical first turn start Japan is pretty much ahead of schedule in all theaters save the south Pacific. I havent spotted a single USN CV since the war began so I hesitated to send invasion forces towards Rabaul without cover by KB. With KB on the way, Rabaul will be assaulted within the week and then Port Moresby, Lunga and New Caledonia will soon follow.

LOSSES:

Japan has lost an inordinate number of AC vs the Allies.....409 vs 504. We are enjoying nearly a 7:1 advantage in A2A....22 vs 158. Our A6M2 losses have been fairly light.....33 total. Of these, only 6 are due to A2A and 6 are due to flak(lost over Oahu in the historical first turn). 21 A6M2s have been lost operationally....Ive been flying a lot of LRCAP over my invasion forces.

Destroyed on field losses are 304 Allied vs 2 Japan. Operational losses are 22 Allied vs 174 Japan. The flak has been what is really killing us....20 Allied vs 211 Japan.

In regards to ship losses, the Allies have lost 190 ships vs 33 Japanese. Breaking it down to combatant classes, the Allies have lost 1 BB, 2 CAs, 4 CLs, and 9 DDs vs Japanese losses of 1 CVE and 2 DDs.

The loss of CVE Taiyo to a sub launched torpedo has really hurt us. CVE Taiyo is normally a very important part of mini KB for me. I like to have the option of changing her force loadout to match her mission requirements. In the early days of the war hunting down Allied shipping in the PI or when Im facing off against the Royal Navy I like to load CVE Taiyo with 27 Kates. When supporting amphibious operations in the Bay of Bengal I like to load CVE Taiyo with a daitai of 27 A6M2s. In response to her loss, I've accelerated CVE Unyo but she still will not arrive until late Feb. at the earliest.

PRODUCTION:

CVL Shoho should arrive in a couple of weeks and I've accelerated CV Junyo....she should arrive by late Feb. and these 2 carriers should somewhat offset the arrival of CV Hornet.

Here is a comparison of my production between stock and CHS at the end of 1941:

STOCK..........................CHS SCENARIO 159

2.24 Supply...................2.23 Supply
3.93 Fuel.......................4.04 Fuel
13,532 HI......................12,864 HI...The stock HI includes the HI from Singapore but still there is less HI in CHS
40,803 HI Reserve.........20,284 HI Reserve
15,575 Resources..........13,684 Resources
1.67 Resource Reserve..1.52 Resource Reserve....Acquiring resources seems to be more of an issue in CHS
1763 Oil........................1140 Oil
1.64 Oil Reserve............2.92 Oil Reserve.....way more oil reserves in CHS

Ive been juggling my naval and merchant production quite a bit and now have BB Yamato back in production

Fighter production has been really ramped up.....248 A6M2s and 156 Oscars currently. I wasnt producing enough Nakajima engines to cover this so I shut off Lily production and half of the Kate production. Ive been running production pretty hot....with the reduced HI in CHS I was running negative HI for a few turns so I reduced Mitsu engine production by 150/mo and have ordered HI growth of approximately 100 points.

Im running a production spreadsheet similar to JWilkerson's and it really helps with dealing with supply/demand issues.

I think Chez was correct...the limiting production factor in CHS is resources vs oil in stock. Everything hinges on capturing Palembang oil/resource facilities intact....with 1202 oil points if I capture Palembang at 90% oil points intact Japan will have no oil issues....if Palembang suffers 70% oil point damage like Brunei did then my economy will crash.

If I have sufficient oil and not enough resources then I will probably invade Australia in the 2nd phase of operations. If I am deficient in oil as well as resources then I will be forced to invade India.

CHINA:

Here is a screenshot of the current situation in China. Most of the ChiCom guerillas have been mopped up in eastern China. My next order of business will be to re-open the road to Sinyang.....then I will launch a minor offensive to open the southern road into Nanchang:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AdmSpruance -- 11/12/2007 5:15:25 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> CLIMB MT. NIITAKA: CHS SCEN 159, BOMBUR(A) vs SPRUANCE(J) Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI