Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reenactments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reenactments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reenactments - 9/12/2000 10:04:00 PM   
WW2'er

Hi Everyone! I know you all are enjoying Version 4, but I just have to write and tell you about what I had the opportunity to do this past weekend. I got to participate in a D-Day reenactment on the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio, here in the states. They had 2 real Navy LCM's that we loaded up on and went out into the lake and then landed on the beach. What a thrill when the ramp went down and we charged out with guns firing (blanks) at us! We then had to cross approximately 800-1000 yards of beach with virtually no cover (some sand mounds, and a few Rommel Asparagus)! Finally reaching an embankment where the Germans couldn't directly fire at us, the Americans, of course eventually took the high ground and won the battle. What an experience though! I got to carry and shoot the American .30 caliber machine gun (About 500 blank rounds)! I'm not in military shape, so by the time I reached the embankment with the MG, I was EXHAUSTED! I can't imagine actually having to slop through 6 feet of more of water, then the beach all under REAL rifle, machine gun, mortar, and anti-tank fire! I haven't even played the new Omaha Beach scenario yet, but just seeing the picture of the .30 caliber machine gun in the encylopedia and realizing I had actually used the same gun two days before, gave me a thrill! Reenacting really gave me a whole new view of D-Day and what it must have been like. I encourage any of you that haven't done it yet to give it a try. This was my first time, and it is expensive to buy the uniform, etc., but it's also an experience you'll never forget. Any other reenactors out there??? Thanks for 'listening' to me ramble, and thanks again to all at Matrix for such a great game! WW2'er (Now which scenario number is that Omaha beach scenario?..... ;->

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
Post #: 1
- 9/13/2000 2:55:00 AM   
BA Evans

Was this reenactment put on by a club or something? Sound pretty cool, glad you had fun. Where at in Ohio (town)? BA Evans

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 2
- 9/13/2000 3:00:00 AM   
3rd Recon

I'm in Michigan. Missed that one. I reenact with the Queens Own Rifles of Canada. Most of our events are in the East. Sound like yoou had fun. Have you been to Fort Indiantown Gap for the Bulge Reenactment? You get lots of mountains and snow to run around in. Rfn. Behrend QORC 3rd Recon

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 3
- 9/13/2000 7:17:00 AM   
WW2'er

The event I attended was run by a reenacting group, but sorry, I don't remember which one. It was in Conneaut, Ohio. I haven't been to any other reenactments, but I've been told about a few from a close friend of mine. He's a history teacher and likes to reenact to find out for himself a little about what it was like so he can relate what he learns to his students. Makes it more "real". WW2'er

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 4
- 9/13/2000 8:55:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I can't begin to tell you how envious I am of you WW2'er! Why didn't they do this when I was a young man? Doggone it! Too bad they won't let us old guys play I know you had a blast! I wish I could have even seen it. Wild Bill ======================= ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 5
- 9/13/2000 10:52:00 PM   
WW2'er

WB, No age limit that I know of Wild Bill! Look up "reenacting" in a search engine and follow the links to a group near you. I'm sure they would welcome your depth of experience and knowledge. I know I would! But if you are going to do what I did, get ready for some scratches, bruises and sore muscles! I don't have a digital camera or a scanner, but I may be able to post a picture or two later on. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the encouragement and all the great scenarios! WW2'er
quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: I can't begin to tell you how envious I am of you WW2'er! Why didn't they do this when I was a young man? Doggone it! Too bad they won't let us old guys play I know you had a blast! I wish I could have even seen it. Wild Bill =======================

WW2'er

(in reply to WW2'er)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reenactments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI