Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Fall of Singapore

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Fall of Singapore Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 8:25:43 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner
My opponent is disappointed because he thinks that i was aware of his comming and

Your opponent sounds very childish to me, perhaps he’s young and inexperienced and does not understand the insult he just gave. The fact your bombers did not get a strike off proves you had no idea he was coming, I'd demand an apology for the inference.

After hearing about this accusation, I have to agree with others, I think your first real success will see him quit on you, especially if you sink some of his CV's. I hope that's not the case.

Jim

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 151
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 9:07:26 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/11/42

My opponent complained again for the mines. Now the evidence that i know everything of this plan (which is however not so clear) is that i mined Tricomale.... i just answered that he'll find mines almost everywhere from Colombo to Chittagong for what that means...getting tired about all this crap.

However, a good turn today.
Seems that the raid at Cylon was just a raid. The real objective will probably be DH or Chittagong 'cause his KB and his SF TF are now moving eastwards. There's another unidentified TF following the KB...Trollelite in his mail named an "invasion"....i cannot see what he can bring right now to invade India being all his forces involved at Singapore... I'm still with the conviction that this is just a raid...cause as far as i'm concerned invading India without a good amount of troops isn't exactly the best thing to do...even if so early on the regular scheldue.
Anyway, i now moved some of my air assets.
48 4Es are now based at Madras, along with 24 AVG P-40Bs, 32 Buffalos and 10 Albacores and 12 Vitebsks.
At Colombo and Tricomale i didn't move anything: there remain the brave 21th fighter group (17 P-40Es) and 16 buffalos plus what remains of the seaHurricanes. Always there are based some 4 Swordfish and 7 Vitebsks.
At Dacca and Calcutta are based there rest of my best air-assets. 100 bombers, 140 fighters and the other albacores.
My land forces are well distributed in order to stop any possible landing. I've placed 300 AVs at Calcutta, 500 at Dacca, 100 at Vizagapatam(which is my weakest defensive point-because it's only a 1-1 base), 100 at Madras and some 600 between Bengalore and Hydebaran.
My subs have been dispatched from Calcutta and Madras and also those who were rescuing my last troops in northern sumatra (Bakkha) have been called back on duty and are now moving towards the KB.
His subs are moving on a possible route of interception to the RN, so to say from Cylon to Bombay.

Well, for the rest it's been a strane turn.
He sent 2 DDs (what are supposed to do 2 DDs alone????) at Tricomale in SF mission i guess. He got mauled by ducth VH2 mines and then, in the afternoon, by my Vitebsks placed at Tricomale. Both DDs are gone.
Then his KB made a raid against a ASW british TF which was fleeing from Tricomale. This TF was caught one hex south of Colombo and this time the 21th fighters group based there didn't scrumble at all...so no way of escaping for those poor vassels.
A ducth sub has been hit by Vals on naval search near Colombo.
Bad weather prevented any other air mission, but his ships were already too far away anyway.

At Mersing 5 of his MSWs were mauled by the 16''CD guns of Singapore...some strange things happen sometimes in witp
Singapore is really about to fall. Another 2-1 in japan's favour today...tomorrow it will be doomed.

At Truk SS Pollack made 3 different attempts to torpedo an enemy AP...for 3 times the torps got dude...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 42 encounters mine field at Trincomalee (13,25)

Japanese Ships
DD Wakaba, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hatsushimo, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

What were supposed to do these 2 vassels??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Truk at 66,78

Japanese Ships
AP Kongo Maru

Allied Ships
SS Pollack

1st attempt--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
AP Kinryu Maru

Allied Ships
SS Pollack

second one...

Japanese Ships
AP Kiyosumi Maru

Allied Ships
SS Pollack

3rd one...grgrgrgrgr
TF 22 encounters mine field at Singapore (22,51) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

59 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
MSW Rokko Maru
MSW Musashi Maru, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Hinode Maru #20, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Choun Maru #21, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Choun Maru #6, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Banshu Maru #56, Shell hits 9, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF at 15,26

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9
Vildebeest IV x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Wakaba, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hatsushimo, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

These are the same DDs that found the VH2 mines at Tricomale...
Day Air attack on TF at 11,27

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
B5N2 Kate x 19

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PC Aldebaren, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
SC Jasmine, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Romney
MSW Rampur, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC Auricula

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
D3A2 Val x 4
B5N2 Kate x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PC Aldebaren, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Rampur, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SC Freesia, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Romney, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SC Auricula, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
B5N2 Kate x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SC Jasmine, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Romney, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SC Freesia, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SC Auricula, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PC Aldebaren, on fire, heavy damage

Ground combat at Singapore

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 215885 troops, 982 guns, 379 vehicles, Assault Value = 4059

Defending force 69454 troops, 382 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 1037

Japanese max assault: 5422 - adjusted assault: 2128

Allied max defense: 1045 - adjusted defense: 932

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Japanese ground losses:
7486 casualties reported
Guns lost 53
Vehicles lost 25

Allied ground losses:
6283 casualties reported
Guns lost 104
Vehicles lost 2

In China i made a huge mistake. I let a way open for his trapped units at Ichang...now supplies are flowing in again and they can abbandon the place if they want so...my mistake was in calculating too optimistically the timing to march in the jungle for my fatigued chinese men....however Chinese plans do not change for the moment.

Attachment (1)

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 152
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 9:10:32 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Can't you transfer 4E bombers through Australia/DEI?

Hi String. Yes, i'm already trying to make the transfer through Clark Fields but it takes some time because of the fatigue that these unexperienced guys accumulate in these long transfers...however i only have 24 4Es in Oz, so they won't make any real difference, also because we have the HR that says "no 4Es below 15,000 ft."

(in reply to String)
Post #: 153
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 9:15:16 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

If Trollelite thinks that a raid on Sri Lanka was unforseeable then he really needs to re-examine his strategic assumptions. It was one of the obvious moves for him to make.

As I've said before I expect this game to be called when he suffers his first serious defeat --- which is a pity as I think he is probably a good player but he's stacking things too much in Japan's favour in terms of house rules IMO. He should win more through good play than through restrictive house rules ( and this same statement applies to an endless number of people who prefer to play as Allies too lest anyone think I'm picking favourites).

Well, maybe a "raid" (if that's what it will show to be) wasn't so expected, but me, as a japanese player, i'd always go for India if by the end of 1941 i had taken the whole SRA-DEI. Since the very first day of the war we've been discussing here of the chances to defend India by an early invasion and the plans to defend India...
Anyway, i really hope he's not going to quit as you say cause i'm enjoing a lot this game, which is very challenging...would be a pity

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 154
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 9:19:09 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSO

Does your base force at Colombo have radar?

If so that might explain the good results in the A2A.

More discussion here has been on India, but I think it is a little more challenging to defend than Oz. Once Japan achieves a breakthrough on the continent the tempo picks up real fast. If one is not careful on defense they will be quickly surrounded and destroyed peacemeal. It has a lot of resources and HI which makes it a more attractive target.

This could be a diversion but why would one want to expose the KB to a powerful base a few days sailing from a friendly port?

You haven't mentioned any menace in the Solomons/Port Moresby area. If I was going for Oz, I would commit here as well as Darwin and Perth.

mmm...i think (but i didn't check) that Colombo base force just has a sound detector...but i'll check.

For what concerns the solomons...no, there's no threat there at the moment. He moved during the first days of war a single AP loaded with a NLF unit to grab gili gili, Lungaville and Noumac...but he just jumped in, conquered the base and moved away...so there are no troops there, nor planes. Only Rabaul seems well fortified, but nothing south of it...
I moved some supplies and fuel at Suva, just to be sure and my pacific fleet remains at PH, at full ranks, just ready to operate...so i'm quite easy on this front. Plans remain the same: Marshalls

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 155
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 9:24:26 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

My opponent is disappointed because he thinks that i was aware of his comming and

Your opponent sounds very childish to me, perhaps he’s young and inexperienced and does not understand the insult he just gave. The fact your bombers did not get a strike off proves you had no idea he was coming, I'd demand an apology for the inference.

After hearing about this accusation, I have to agree with others, I think your first real success will see him quit on you, especially if you sink some of his CV's. I hope that's not the case.

Jim

Well Jim, i can live with those accusations. In a certain way it's part of the sportmanship to be able to understand these accusations.
I hope these complaints will be put apart soon and we can keep on playing and forgetting everything about this sour episode

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 156
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 12:19:01 PM   
String

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Can't you transfer 4E bombers through Australia/DEI?

Hi String. Yes, i'm already trying to make the transfer through Clark Fields but it takes some time because of the fatigue that these unexperienced guys accumulate in these long transfers...however i only have 24 4Es in Oz, so they won't make any real difference, also because we have the HR that says "no 4Es below 15,000 ft."

Why through clark field? All of the 4E's were quite capable for transferring through smaller airfields as well.

Post #: 157
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 12:20:14 PM   
TenChiMato

I definitely agree with Nemo, a KB-strike against India followed by an all-out invasion was definitely an obvious move especially considering the way he has been playing so far.

As for the forces he can bring at first; taking a look at the IJA troops fighting in Singapore right now, I see two Divisions usually assigned to the 25th Army missing : the 5th and 18th
Also we know the 16th and 48th Division were in Java but these will have to take some rest before being sent back into action, so imo you can expect a first wave of 2-3 Division perhaps strengthened by some SNLFs and other assets he could spare from his two main thrust against Java and Singapore.

2-3 Div cannot take India and even with fast transports (assuming he concentrated everything) it will take a week to bring back more sizeable forces. Also he lost quite a lot of airplanes attacking Singapore. He relies two much on KB for air support for this operation imo, you can severly attrit him here and each AP transport sunk or crippled there will cost him dearly for he needs them to bring in reinforcement very very fast (most certainly why he tried to clear Singapore minefields prematurely);

Unleash your subs!

Post #: 158
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/15/2007 1:17:27 PM   
cantona2

quote:

I know this works for the West Coast command. Change it to China or SE Asia and the subordinates appear elsewhere. The HQ needs to be in SF I believe.

I'm not sure about India/SE Asia command working in reverse. I haven't tried it.

The India HQ unit is already attached to SE Asia but it's subordinates are attached to India Command. They might appear in some weird place like Auckland, NZ. The reason I say this is because that is the default "return to base" option for ships stationed at Indian ports under India command. Ceylon is different. It is attached to SE Asia. The "return" to base option is Aden.

If I were playing the Japanese and planning on invading India, I wouldn't sail around Ceylon to grab Bombay or Karachi until it was secured. I think it would be too risky.

Are there any bases in the DEI that have a base force and an airfield under your control?
If so you could change the command of some B-17 groups to SE Asia and rebase them there. If not, maybe you could rebase via the northern route (HR permitting). Can B-17s reach China from Wake? That's another option.

I forgot what your naval attack rules are regarding B-17 but from my experience they will hit targets at 9000 feet altitude with experience in the 70s. You could always have them fly supply missions until their experience levels rise to acceptable levels.

If you can delay and hold out until May 42 you can then upgrade the UK aircraft into something more useful.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over the ABDA HQ units. They should still respawn but won't appear until Soerabaja is liberated. I found out by accident myself because I conducted a withdrawal from Java when things got too bad.

I like your option with the Marshall Islands. It is daring but if it pays off it could prove to be a good move. Just flying recon planes over the islands might make him hesitate with any of his plans.

Sorry for hijacking thread, but if i have understood this correctly does this mean if the West Coast HQ is changed to SEAC, fro example, all future reinforcements will appear in SEAC theatre? If thats the case isnt that gamey?

Just my 50p's worth

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 159
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 1:30:57 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/12/42

Yes, he's going for Cylon, not for DH or such. Yesterday was probably just a diversion in order to get his zeros back in action....well, they are back in action!
He's approaching Tricomale with a great number of ships. The whole KB plus, i guess, his whole combined fleet (minus those BBs that were damaged at Singapore).
However my planes tried to hurt the KB, but there were nothing less than 266 zeros on CAP!!!!...not even a single 4E managed to get trhough...losses are great...cannot calculate them right now cause i only got the reply, but my bombers at Madras are out of action for the moment...plus the number of 4Es in pool is very low, so i'll probably have to switch them to B-25 and B-26...

Tomorrow will probably start the naval bombardment of Tricomale. He has set his Vals and Kates only to naval search, not to waste other precious planes and pilots, so the zeros were only on CAP mission...gotta think now what to do. Tricomale is lightly defended...only the starting base force is present there and at Colombo there's only one light Indian Brigade...I cannot rely only on those 9.2 CD guns and on the mines placed there...if he remains with that Death Star CAP i think i won't be able to do much...however i'm gonna try!

the RN will be moving down from Bombay. I'm considering to sacrifice my CVs in order to force him to move his KB away from the transport fleet...that could be a trick...leaving the Transport and SC TFs without a decent CAP before Tricomale falls could be a winning point! But i have to avoid his subs on the western coast of India which are clearly looking for my ships...

Now my depleted bomber squadrons that were lost today will be moved back in other bases and i'll be moving in my reserves. It's gonna be fun and challenging!

The problem is that today singapore Fell, so he now has 4000 AVs to be brought to India...mmmm...i have to stop him on the shore. If i let him estabilish a foothold in India now, nothing is gonna stop him and i'll have to get back to Karachi and Aden...

At Truk...Pompano Sub got hit by good ASW TF, then his torp didn't detonate against a big japanese AP...and guess what? this AP fired 2 torpedoes against my sub which went down...

ASW attack near Truk at 66,78

Japanese Ships
PC Takunan Maru #2
PC Shonon Maru #15
PC Toshi Maru #3
PG Seikai Maru
PG Nikkai Maru
PG Kyo Maru #8
PG Kogyoku Maru
PG Keijo Maru
PG Heijo Maru
PG Choko Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS Pompano, hits 4, on fire

Japanese Ships
AP Kongo Maru

Allied Ships
SS Pompano, heavy damage

Torp didn't detonate here....

Japanese Ships
AP Kinryu Maru

Allied Ships
SS Pompano, hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*

Day Air attack on TF at 14,27

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 266

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9
Vildebeest IV x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 9 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 9 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 5 destroyed

The first strike from Tricomale....

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 266

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 8
Blenheim IV x 10
Martin 139 x 10
Hudson I x 12
B-17D Fortress x 5
B-17E Fortress x 17
LB-30 Liberator x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 72 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 8 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 10 destroyed
Martin 139: 10 destroyed
Hudson I: 12 destroyed
B-17D Fortress: 3 destroyed
B-17E Fortress: 17 destroyed
LB-30 Liberator: 4 destroyed

OUCH!!!! nearly 80 planes lost today...this hurts!!!!

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 265

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 destroyed

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 265

Allied aircraft
LB-30 Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
LB-30 Liberator: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged

Ground combat at Singapore

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 212123 troops, 918 guns, 409 vehicles, Assault Value = 3762

Defending force 62309 troops, 275 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 887

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese max assault: 2685 - adjusted assault: 1206

Allied max defense: 849 - adjusted defense: 523

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Singapore base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
4157 casualties reported
Guns lost 35
Vehicles lost 24

Allied ground losses:
41690 casualties reported
Guns lost 280

This was predicted...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TenChiMato)
Post #: 160
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 1:33:28 PM   
cantona2

quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/11/42

My opponent complained again for the mines. Now the evidence that i know everything of this plan (which is however not so clear) is that i mined Tricomale.... i just answered that he'll find mines almost everywhere from Colombo to Chittagong for what that means...getting tired about all this crap.

surely minning your ports is sound strategy especially those in the probable areas of fighting. Hell, i mine all my ports in case any opponent tries to sneak in a sub. sounds a bit churlish to me that he has complained. Ive not read Yokel's AAR in our game but using recon and intell ive got a general picture of where his attacks are pointing too. Maybe your opponent has no idea how effective allied sigint is

But GH i agree with your assessment "all this crap" indeed!

Post #: 161
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 5:48:17 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

The more i think of it, the more i see that now it's time to call out the RN to do her duty, her sacrifice.
If cylon is taken it will be useless anyway. While during the landings at Cylon the RN could maybe take her chances trying to coordinate her actions with the land based air force. Yes, it's time to react.
I'm thinking about a kind of strategy like the Leyte Gulf one...CVs as bait and surface ships as the hammer...
As soon as the turn arrives i'll be saying something more precise...however this is the main idea

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 162
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 11:07:41 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

gotta think now what to do.

The main thing is to close down Trincomalee airfield. If he gets land based air established ashore, you're doomed. And there is no point trying to defend Ceylon this early, he can wipe out anything you manage to send there.

The next battle is a battle for land based air supremacy, and if you can’t keep the airfield closed he’ll win. Forget his ships for now, let them do whatever they want. Don’t waste your 4E bombers trying to sink KB, you need them for airfield suppression.

The only planes on naval attack should be your torpedo planes, but I’d stand them down for about a week. Let KB’ fighters wear themselves out trying to fly CAP and LRCAP over Trincomalee for a week, then turn on all your torpedo bombers and try for KB.

Until then, smash that airfield every turn. If he wins you’ll have a permanent KB stationed off the southern tip of India.

I’d also start saving up political points so you can switch the brigade to a non-fixed command and evacuate it from the island. Otherwise you’ll lose the entire formation for good.

quote:

plus the number of 4Es in pool is very low, so i'll probably have to switch them to B-25 and B-26...

If you switch anything, switch the West Coast heavy bombers, thus creating more replacements for your Indian heavies. You need their power in India if possible.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/15/2007 11:25:37 PM >

Post #: 163
RE: The Fall of Singapore - 11/15/2007 11:12:04 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

The more i think of it, the more i see that now it's time to call out the RN to do her duty,

No, you need to keep the RN out of harm’s way for the comeback later. You cannot possibly do enough harm right now and it will just be sunk. Wait until either KB withdraws, or later in the game when you need to re-invade India. You have to think long term here. Japan will probably take India eventually and without a fleet later in the game, you'll never re-take India. Head for Karachi and Aden if neccessary to keep the RN fleet intact for your comeback later.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/15/2007 11:15:23 PM >

Post #: 164
India ready to be invaded... - 11/16/2007 12:20:14 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Well, got the turn back and the results of the yesterday fightings are even worse than what i thought...90 planes shot down...seems that even the 4Es, which have a durability of 98 cannot stand against the UBER zero CAP.... I sent them back to back lines, in order to refill the lines (will take some time however)...
Situation is grimm gentleman...we have only one brigade defending the whole cylon and only 2E light bombers to try to close Tricomale AF once it will be conquered...tough,really tough...Jim's right: with Cylon is his hands every move of the RN will be prevented and he'll be able to cover his landings in India without the help of the mighty KB...
I really haven't decided yet if to send the RN in the buldge or not...it's ready 120 miles south of Bombay at the moment...mmm......cause the BBs are my only hope to stop him on the shore right now...with my 4Es so ineffected as they prooved to be...and with our house rules that prevent them from flying under 15,000 ft.....mmm...gotta think about it....
Anyway, my air force has been hit hard, but it isn't died, not yet.
Tomorrow he'll probably land. 2 hexes away from Tricomale. Hope those 9.2 CD guns will do their job...I don't think he's gonna risk no more KB crack pilots on AF or port attack...my AA has prooved to be deadly....
Anyway, next turn i'm gonna switch the Cylon Bde to SEAC and see if i can airlift her or even move her by ships (considering that he's keeping his Vals and Kates on naval search)....

I took a look at the reinforcements list...very depressing for Aden......well, it's gonna be a hard fight!

Keep your finger crossed guys!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 165
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 12:56:56 AM   
eloso

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Sorry for hijacking thread, but if i have understood this correctly does this mean if the West Coast HQ is changed to SEAC, fro example, all future reinforcements will appear in SEAC theatre? If thats the case isnt that gamey?

Just my 50p's worth

It might be gamey and it might not be. It depends on your outlook and the kind of game one wants to play. Personally, I think it is a sleazy exploit of game mechanics. Paying PP to transfer one unit isn't IMO as it is removed from the map to appear 60 days later to simulate the time it would take to ship it to the other theater via the Atlantic.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 166
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 1:06:04 AM   
cantona2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Just my 50p's worth

It might be gamey and it might not be. It depends on your outlook and the kind of game one wants to play. Personally, I think it is a sleazy exploit of game mechanics. Paying PP to transfer one unit isn't IMO as it is removed from the map to appear 60 days later to simulate the time it would take to ship it to the other theater via the Atlantic.

my post was based on the understanding that if the the HQ of all these units is changed , eg change West Coast HQ to SEAC (eg), then all further subordinate West Coast units would thereby appear in SEAC, eg Aden or Karachi. If this isnt the case then fine but if it is i think its gamey. But at the end of the day if its up to each pair of inidividuals that play the game in question.

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 167
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 1:06:26 AM   
fcam1387

I think your best bet is using the remainder of the British fleet for a Leyte Gulf - style battle as the others were suggesting. Given his entire KB is in the area, it is doubtful that you'd be able to save the Royal Navy and retreat northwards.

Also, remember that it is the US Navy *not* the Royal Navy that is the game-winner. In my opinion, while it is nice to have, the RN is expendable.

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 168
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 1:10:37 AM   
eloso

I agree with Jim here. I would take a close look around the map for out of theater bomber groups that could be downgraded to a 2E group rather than paying PP and transferring them to India.

The big dilemma you face here is you can't upgrade UK groups until May. This operation could be over by then. In June the B-24s come on line and will prove to be the workhorse for the rest of the war. I fear this will be too late.

From my experience you will not be able to stop a huge invasion at the beach. Your only hope is to make it costly and hold on for the ride. It will be bleak in this theater but the longer you delay him here the better.

Using your LBA to close his airfields like Jim says is the best option IMO. They'll gain experience eventually and then they'll be more likely to get a lucky shot on the KB regardless of his CAP.

Another thought is the altitude of your B-17 bombers should be set to 31000 feet for the purposes of these 'training' runs. His oscars and zekes won't be able to intercept. They won't inflict much damage but they'll gain experience. I would only do this with bomber pilots that have lower than 55 experience.

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 169
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 1:33:53 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Thx guys for the precious suggestions.
I haven't made up my mind yet.
all B-17s around the map have been downgraded and now i have almost 80 4Es in India, but almost all of them are repairing at Dacca and Bombay. I need some days to be able to get them back in action.
However i'll try to close Tricomale AF. i'll do my best. I have 4 AF in range of it. My best hope is that his next naval bombardments will ruin so much the base that he will need at least a couple of days to get it back in action...but i'm also sure that KB will LRCAP over it...well, we'll see what to do.
the RN is still lurking in safe waters, waiting for an order that isn't given yet...on one hand i agree with Jim that RN can be usefull in taking india back and also in defending Aden when India will fall, but i'm also tempted to try to fight somewhere...till now i've been only running away...

...well,now it's just a wait and see tactic...let's wait for the first landing and see what his plan with KB will be...i bet he's already loading men at Singapore...

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 170
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 9:04:03 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/13/42

A strange day indeed. He's grouping his TFs 2 hexes south of Tricomale, but he doesn't move, not even the naval bombardments. He just sits there with the KB with all his planes set to naval search...the result is that 1 on my sub is hit and another one (SS-41) goes down hit twice by those damned Kates...
Anyway at least today we gave back some retribution. My ASW TFs that are escorting the RN south of Bombay managed to engage 2 Jap subs that are clearly looking for an interception of my major ships. One goes down and the other one is hit and should go back (i hope).
11 japanese planes on naval search were shot down today, against my 3 (light bombers on naval search missions).
Probably tomorrow will be the landing day...
In China we liberated Ichang...well i made a so big mistake in leaving the corridor empty that i should not be happy for the conquest of Ichang, but it's however the second liberated city in China after Nanchang, so i'm rather pleased anyhow.

He also captured Sebang today. the last redoubt in northern Sumatra for 10,000 ducth boys...there won't be no mercy for them i fear...

ASW attack at 14,15

Japanese Ships
SS I-22, hits 11

Allied Ships
PC Netravati
MSW Poole
SC Cyclamen
SC Genista
SC Fritillary
PG Shoreham

ASW attack at 13,15

Japanese Ships
SS I-5, hits 2, on fire *sinks*

Allied Ships
PC Netravati
SC Cyclamen
SC Genista
SC Fritillary
PG Shoreham

Ground combat at Sabang

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 10450 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 143

Defending force 4315 troops, 9 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 64

Japanese max assault: 286 - adjusted assault: 127

Allied max defense: 50 - adjusted defense: 23

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Sabang base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
9235 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Ground combat at Ichang

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 46247 troops, 193 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 1735

Defending force 830 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 25

Allied max assault: 1414 - adjusted assault: 1059

Japanese max defense: 25 - adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 1059 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Ichang base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
272 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 171
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 9:06:04 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

And this is the VP situation....2-1 by now...but i guess the autovictory with the conquest of India won't be far away...:(

Attachment (1)

Post #: 172
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 9:52:05 AM   
cantona2

Your ship loss ratio General is more or less the same as in my game vs Local Yokel. If the japs get lucky in the first few turns they wreck havoc with the shipping fleeing the PI and DEI.

Post #: 173
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 10:05:01 AM   
soeren01

quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/13/42

A strange day indeed. He's grouping his TFs 2 hexes south of Tricomale, but he doesn't move, not even the naval bombardments. He just sits there with the KB with all his planes set to naval search...the result is that 1 on my sub is hit and another one (SS-41) goes down hit twice by those damned Kates...

Either he waits for the RN to appear or he tries to clear out your subs before the landing

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

Post #: 174
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 10:10:23 AM   
jumper

Hi,
I would suggest you to keep RN safe for now. There is nothing you can do with it under current circumstances. In the best possible scenario, you will get a few ships to landing zone and will manage to sink a few transports and escorts (probably already empty). More probably you will loose every single ship for no real gain. RN is no match for KB now. Once you will loose it, he won´t be forced to keep his own navy in this area or to organise strike missions into your territory to find and destory it. Fleet-in-being on the west should be  part of your strategy, cosidering you are going to release the dogs of war in the west. RN navy is expendable as someone posted, but not in such way.

If you will succed with your invasion in Kwajalein area, there is good chance, his fleet will sprint there. THAT would be the good time to have RN on hand with RAF to support and close his AF.

< Message edited by jumper -- 11/16/2007 10:12:48 AM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 175
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 11:51:16 AM   
Mistmatz

I agree with most of the other posters, if you sacrifice RN now it's probably too early with no or only little gain.
Furthermore having the RN around may keep him off sending KB into the pacific and thus hamper your Wake plans. At least until he has a strong foothold in India.

(in reply to jumper)
Post #: 176
RE: The Fall of Nanchang - 11/16/2007 12:41:02 PM   
Jim D Burns

The more I think about it, the more I think he’s going for the big win type of play. He bypassed PI so he could invade India obviously, so I bet he plans to bypass Burma too. I’d start airlifting out every unit from Burma right now. Use all the float planes you can muster and get those brigades to India ASAP. Don’t ship them, or KB will send them to the bottom.

Burma is worthless compared to India and I’d consider you already outflanked in Burma with this move on Ceylon. More than likely he plans to land the troops from Singapore and Java either in southern India or possibly even western India.

That way he’ll be able to isolate you from Karachi and trap your Indian army in eastern India. Once separated from supplies from Aden, it’s just a matter of time till he wraps up your army on the continent. Then he can return and take the PI and Burma at his leisure.

So I suggest you start a large force falling back on Karachi and Bombay right now. You can’t hold India this early anyway, so why risk being isolated by trying to fight him in the east. Use the brigades from Burma to fight in the east, but the majority of your India command army should be heading to Karachi or Bombay right now.

Once he commits ashore, then you can react to the landings if the situation warrants a reaction. But right now I think you’re vulnerable and exposed because you have so little to fight with. Don’t get it trapped, you have to try and anticipate his moves and with the freedom KB gives him and his aggressive style, I’d say landing on western India is very likely.

You’ve got to last until at least May if you hope to have enough reinforcements arrive at Aden to hold it. If he traps and isolates your India command army in the next 30-60 days, he can go for Aden and probably take it with just 3 or 4 divisions.

I also must stress, there is no real gain by losing your RN right now. At least if it’s at Aden, there is a chance it will cause mayhem, since it’s a one lane road and every fleet he brings down the slot must run into your fleet there.

At best right now it’ll damage his base and maybe sink some ships. I don’t think that is worth the thousands of VP it’ll give Japan when KB sinks it. Save it for counter-attacks later. Also you’ll need AAA ships in your supply fleets that run into Karachi if he holds bases near there, so don’t get your ships sunk just yet.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/16/2007 12:42:15 PM >

Post #: 177
The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 1:35:06 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/14/42

Ok guys...there's no hope to stop him ashore...he has already unloaded 23,000 men after the first night...managed to take off(not disable, took off...don't ask me how) the 9.2 CD guns at Tricomale which now relies only on the 6 CD guns......He bombed with his ships Colombo (luckly causing light damages) and Tricomale (here the unluck is that the bombings were really uneffected so the AF is still open......my torpedo bombers at Colombo tried to interdict, but managed to sink only a useless CL.......losing 27 planes in the process...
My 4Es are far from being ready and i cannot rely on my light bombers, considering that he'll put hundreds of zeros at Tricomale as soon as the base falls...mmmm...it's quite hard to say what i can do at the moment...

Anyway, Jim, i've already started few days ago to airlift what i could from Burma...however it takes a lot of time and those units that cannot be airlifted have to march all over the mountains...well, i'll try, but i think those units will be lost anyway.
I agree with you that he's going for the big plan. I'd have done the same.
I've already planned a strategical retreat. My major bases in the midland on India are already garrisoned (even if lightly) in order to keep an open gate against his Paras... However at this pace it's quite impossible to stop him...there are already coming the transports from Singapore (see picture below)....that means more 200,000 men ready to invade the sub-continent....
Yes, India is lost. Simply. You're all right. I can only save my back and keep Aden and Karachi open for the coming back...

TF 10 encounters mine field at Colombo (11,25)

Japanese Ships
DD Isonami, Mine hits 1

TF 14 encounters mine field at Trincomalee (13,25)

Japanese Ships
MSW W.20
MSW W.18
MSW W.15
MSW W.10
MSW W.9
MSW W.8
MSW W.7
MSW W.6
MSW W.4
MSW W.3
MSW W.2
MSW W.1
AK Takao Maru, Mine hits 1

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

Naval bombardment of Colombo, at 11,25 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed

81 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CA Kako, Shell hits 4
CA Furutaka
CA Ashigara, Shell hits 12
CA Nachi
CA Haguro, Shell hits 3
CA Myoko, Shell hits 10

Allied Ships
AK Edward Luckenbach, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Edgar Luckenbach, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
695 casualties reported
Guns lost 12
Vehicles lost 5

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 4
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 2

At least we shot back!

Naval bombardment of Colombo, at 11,25 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed
Hurricane IIb: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

5 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 3
CA Mogami

Allied Ships
AK Edward Luckenbach, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Edgar Luckenbach, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AP Talma, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
247 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 10
Port hits 4
Port supply hits 1

Naval bombardment of Trincomalee, at 13,25 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

23 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 1
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 4
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
BB Kongo

Allied ground losses:
577 casualties reported
Guns lost 11
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase supply hits 1
Port hits 1

No luck with mines this time.....
Naval bombardment of Colombo, at 11,25

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Kinu (only one ship???? sounds strange)

Allied Ships
AK Edgar Luckenbach, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Edward Luckenbach, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Coquina, Shell hits 1, heavy damage
AP Talma, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Runway hits 2
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

TF 14 troops unloading over beach at Trincomalee, 13,25

Japanese Ships
MSW W.20
MSW W.18
MSW W.15
MSW W.10
MSW W.9
MSW W.8
MSW W.7
MSW W.6
MSW W.4
MSW W.3
MSW W.2
MSW W.1
PC Ch 8
PC Ch 7
PG Hakkaisan Maru
PG Fukui Maru
PG Idzumo
PG Iwate
AK Takao Maru, Mine hits 8, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Coastal Guns at Trincomalee, 13,25, firing at TF 14
567 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
PC Ch 8, Shell hits 19
AK Fujikawa Maru
AP Horai Maru
PG Hakkaisan Maru, Shell hits 13, on fire, heavy damage
PG Idzumo, Shell hits 1
AP Kitano Maru
AP Kamo Maru

Japanese ground losses:
1152 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Vehicles lost 7

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

At least some disable squads....

Japanese Ships
MSW W.20
MSW W.18
MSW W.15
MSW W.10
MSW W.9
MSW W.8
MSW W.7
MSW W.6
MSW W.4
MSW W.3
MSW W.2
MSW W.1
PC Ch 8
PC Ch 7
PG Hakkaisan Maru, on fire, heavy damage
PG Fukui Maru
PG Iwate
PG Idzumo
AK Takao Maru, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

338 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
PG Idzumo
AK Atutasan Maru
AP Horai Maru
PC Ch 8, Shell hits 15
AP Rakuyo Maru
AP Shoka Maru
CL Kashima
AP Ayatosan Maru
PC Ch 7
AP Mikage Maru #2
AP Katori Maru, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hakozaki Maru

Japanese ground losses:
967 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
54 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF, near Trincomalee at 13,25

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17

Allied aircraft
Albacore x 5
Buffalo I x 4
Hurricane IIb x 3
Vildebeest IV x 12
P-40B Tomahawk x 5
P-40E Warhawk x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Kashima, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hikawa Maru

This was the attempt made by my air forces...well...cannot say it couldn't go a bit better considering the light CAP...

Sub attack at 11,27 (near Colombo)

Japanese Ships
SS RO-33

Allied Ships
AK Taiyuan, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*

While my subs aren't able even to try to fire a torp...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 178
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 3:03:06 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/15/42

Strange enough his units didn't attack Trico. this turn. I managed to get some hits here and then, but nothing special.
Mines have been completely wiped out by his MSWs, and the guns of the base are out of order now.
He didn't try to bomb Trico today, clearly to leave the AF operational...
O20 Ducth sub managed to put a torp into an AP which is ferring troops from Singapore to India
My torpedo bombers did hit a pair of his transports at Trico but were already empty...seems that now it's better to evacuate the whole Cylon. Transfering of troops has already begun by air.
Fighters and few torp bombers remain at Colombo for the last attempt.
One of my sub was badly hit by his ASW TFs, but it should get safe, while I-171 jap sub has been hit twice by my Air ASW...
What else to say?
I accepted the fact that most of India is lost. Now it's just about gaining time and keeping my backdoor open...

16 air losses today, against his 24...at least the a/c numbers aren't in his favour

Japanese Ships
MSW W.20
MSW W.18
MSW W.15
MSW W.10
MSW W.9
MSW W.8
MSW W.7
MSW W.6
MSW W.4
MSW W.3
MSW W.2
MSW W.1
PC Ch 8
PG Iwate
PG Idzumo
AK Matsukawa Maru, Mine hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
PC Ch 7
PG Fukui Maru
PG Hakkaisan Maru, on fire, heavy damage

677 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
AK Tatsuwa Maru
AP Midori Maru, Shell hits 9
PC Ch 8, Shell hits 8
PG Fukui Maru, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
AP Mizuho Maru
AP Kamo Maru
PG Idzumo, Shell hits 7
AP Ayatosan Maru
AP Mikage Maru #2
AP Katori Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hakozaki Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
AP Hakone Maru
PG Iwate, Shell hits 4

Japanese ground losses:
847 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
11 casualties reported

395 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
AP Midori Maru
PC Ch 8, Shell hits 1
AP Horai Maru
AP Rakuyo Maru
AP Mizuho Maru
PG Idzumo, Shell hits 12
AP Ayatosan Maru
AP Mikage Maru #2
AP Katori Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Hie Maru, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
PG Iwate, Shell hits 8

Japanese ground losses:
715 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
58 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF, near Trincomalee at 13,25

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 4
Albacore x 11
Hurricane IIb x 2
Vildebeest IV x 5
P-40B Tomahawk x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore: 3 damaged
Vildebeest IV: 1 damaged
P-40B Tomahawk: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
PG Idzumo
MSW W.15
MSW W.9
AK Tokai Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Ayatosan Maru
AP Heiyo Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AP Mogamigawa Maru

Results quite discouraging....

Sub attack at 16,30

Japanese Ships
AP Kasui Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
PG Tatsumiya Maru
PG Nanpo Maru
PG Magan Maru
PG Kure Maru #5

Allied Ships
SS O20

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported

Attachment (1)

Post #: 179
RE: The Struggle for India - 11/16/2007 3:24:58 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Yes, India is lost. Simply. You're all right. I can only save my back and keep Aden and Karachi open for the coming back...

That is excessively pessimistic, I'd say. He has barely gotten on the ground on Ceylon. He still has many ops in front of him before India could be considered to be in the bag. Unless of course, he is just much better at WitP than you are....

Fear the kitten!

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Fall of Singapore Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI