Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recommended Reading for Rising Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Recommended Reading for Rising Sun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommended Reading for Rising Sun - 1/19/2007 7:49:39 PM   
Temple

Since I have been hammering through the scenarios of Rising Sun Gold for about three weeks now (hang in there, I'm sure the Matrix Edition will be out soon), I decided to do some associated reading. I recently picked up "Marine Tank Battles In The Pacific" by Oscar Gilbert. It's a pretty interesting read. The author's style focuses on anecdotal story telling rather than high level analysis and makes it very readable while still conveying the history of the development of infantry-tank doctrine for the Marines. Because he focuses on a very specific subject I'm reading about some very interesting fights that have been overlooked or minimalized in the more popular histories. The personal accounts are well chosen as they add not only to the details of the fighting, but also to what it was like to try to operate tanks in some of the most miserable terrain in the Pacific Theatre like the fighting at Cape Gloucester.

While the scale of the fighting in Rising Sun is at a bit higher level than what these personal accounts relate, it still gives an excellent feel for the close-in, almost claustrophobic battles in the jungle. You can appreciate how important just a tank unit or two can be when you are grinding through an interlocked field of Japanese bunkers and pillboxes in Rising Sun.

Post #: 1
RE: Recommended Reading for Rising Sun - 11/17/2007 9:20:44 PM   
FrenchyUSMC

Yes it's a great book about Marine Tankers in WW2...
I loved it ! Thanks a lot M. Oscar E. Gilbert !

An excellent book too ...is about the bloodiest battle for the 1st USMC Div.... Peleliu !

Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944 -- The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War

It's wonderful...

Click on the link below :

http://www.amazon.com/Brotherhood-Heroes-Marines-Peleliu-Bloodiest/dp/0743260090

Frenchy

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Recommended Reading for Rising Sun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI