Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good for single-player?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Good for single-player? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good for single-player? - 11/16/2007 5:39:25 PM   
moose1999

Is this game built foremost for multiplay or is there a good singleplayer experience in it too?
I know there is no campaign, but I was thinking more in terms of AI.
Has there been any development of the original CC AI that would perhaps give us a more challenging and satisfying single player experience?

regards,

Briny
Post #: 1
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/16/2007 11:24:24 PM   
AZKGungHo

I'd love to know more about this also - I only play against the AI, so how strong it is very important to me!

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 2
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/16/2007 11:44:46 PM   
Tactics

Me also - Whats the single player feedback?

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 3
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/17/2007 12:13:57 AM   
watchtower

Well I have only had it a few hours and its kept me well entertained well worth it. AI Seems to be giving a good game from what I have seen. Some neat weapons and nice new battlefields etc,

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 4
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/17/2007 12:28:24 AM   
mavraamides

I'm enjoying the SP game so far. The AI seems good. I'm no expert by any measure and I haven't really played much since the CC3 days but it seems a little tougher now.

(in reply to watchtower)
Post #: 5
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/17/2007 12:30:58 AM   
AlvinS

I am having fun with the single player. I am just learning the game, but it has been challenging and makes me want to come back for more.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 6
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 2:51:51 AM   
jomni

The AI managed to destroy all my armored vehicles in one game.  Even my M1's.
Pretty good at defending when they are properly equipped.  Haven't played a game where AI is the attacker though.

(in reply to AlvinS)
Post #: 7
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 9:58:34 AM   
Hertston

With the increased lethality of the weapon systems there is rather less room for error and it's not easy to judge the AI quickly. To be honest, I think anyone buying this will get more than their monies worth playing it long enough to actually make a reasonable assessment.

You need to consider the buyer, too. For new and previously casual players I suspect MT will end up providing a "challenging and satisfying single player experience", but any ten year CC vets wanting a vastly enhanced AI opponent are likely to be asking rather too much, I suspect.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/19/2007 10:00:48 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 8
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 6:15:54 PM   
mavraamides

Now that I've had a little more time to play, I have a few issues with the singleplayer game. Some of them might be my own misunderstanding of the way the game works.

1) Victory in single player games. It seems to me that not enough value is placed on destruction of enemy force when deciding victory. I have had quite a few games where I managed to wipe out all enemy armor and most infantry with very few losses on my part but lost because I hadn't captured enough VL's. Some of them are in rather arbitrary places like far corners of the map that seem to have no real significance to control of the BF.

2) Short time of scenarios. Because each scenario is only 30 min, combined with the size of the map, it is very difficult to move your units fast enough into position to really maneuver. Unless you take dangerous chances. I would like to have more time to reach my objectives so I can protect my men.

3) Vehicle Pathfinding. I've found I often have to micro manage my vehicles or they even get stuck for no apparent reason. This combined with the short scenario time, large maps, etc, can mean often it takes 15-20 minutes just to properly maneuver my vehicles into place and then I'm under serious time pressure to take the objectives.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 6:46:14 PM   
Richard III

quote:

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

Now that I've had a little more time to play, I have a few issues with the singleplayer game. Some of them might be my own misunderstanding of the way the game works.

1) Victory in single player games. It seems to me that not enough value is placed on destruction of enemy force when deciding victory. I have had quite a few games where I managed to wipe out all enemy armor and most infantry with very few losses on my part but lost because I hadn't captured enough VL's. Some of them are in rather arbitrary places like far corners of the map that seem to have no real significance to control of the BF.

2) Short time of scenarios. Because each scenario is only 30 min, combined with the size of the map, it is very difficult to move your units fast enough into position to really maneuver. Unless you take dangerous chances. I would like to have more time to reach my objectives so I can protect my men.

3) Vehicle Pathfinding. I've found I often have to micro manage my vehicles or they even get stuck for no apparent reason. This combined with the short scenario time, large maps, etc, can mean often it takes 15-20 minutes just to properly maneuver my vehicles into place and then I'm under serious time pressure to take the objectives.

Isn`t there a setting called " time expires in " on the start up screen that can be changed , seems like it in one of the screen shots ?

Post #: 10
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 7:04:17 PM   
mavraamides

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Isn`t there a setting called " time expires in " on the start up screen that can be changed , seems like it in one of the screen shots ?

You could be right. For some reason, I thought it was fixed per scenario but maybe I'm wrong.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 11
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/19/2007 8:42:53 PM   
Hertston

I don't think so.  They must have had their reasons for fixing the time limit; it's always been variable in other CC games.  You can change it, but only using the editor.

Post #: 12
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 2:35:07 AM   
vondee

Can someone describe in detail what the new weapons are as well as any difference in mechanics between this and the original CC series? Just trying to understand how the game has been modernized beyond new graphics. Thanks.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 13
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 3:33:44 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: vondee

Can someone describe in detail what the new weapons are as well as any difference in mechanics between this and the original CC series? Just trying to understand how the game has been modernized beyond new graphics. Thanks.

The 'new weapons' are a reasonably comprehensive database of those currently in use; Neil has posted a list in the 'Tell me more' thread. I'm not sure what you mean by 'new graphics'. Obviously new equipment and new maps means new graphics (and some of the maps are particularly well done) to portray them, but there has been no radical change. Likewise while there is probably some under-the-hood stuff I'm not really qualified to comment on, gameplay is much the same as it always was, as is the UI. I can't compare MT to the other 'modern' CC games/simulations, never having played them.

(in reply to vondee)
Post #: 14
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 6:13:42 PM   
Behemoth

So, this is another, I'm on the fence and 30 bucks could break me, question. Well not quite, but I've been a CC player since it started way back with CC1. I like the concept and the modern setting, I loved StPan-modern way back when. I have a couple concerns, time limit, and no campaigns. If it's not too much trouble could someone give me game play feed back on the 30 min. time limit. If some of these maps are a mile or more in size, how can movement and extended fire fights occur in such a short duration? Is not having a save game feature part of the reason for nixing the open time limit? Thanks for any replies, hope this isn't flogging a dead horse, the maps look great btw!
-C

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 8:34:21 PM   
Hertston

Time limits are not an issue; you have to use the editor to change them but that takes all of ten seconds or so. 

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/21/2007 8:35:05 PM >

(in reply to Behemoth)
Post #: 16
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 9:07:45 PM   
Andrew Williams

Time limits can be set or unlimited.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 17
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 10:58:08 PM   
Behemoth

Andrew,
I saw that in the screenshots, just never got addressed so I presumed, I stand corrected, Thanks.
-C

“What do you mean you don't do it? Of course you do it. We all do it. We love to do it. I just did it and I'm ready to do it again.” -Mel Brooks as King Louis XVI

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 18
RE: Good for single-player? - 11/21/2007 11:12:10 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Behemoth
Andrew,
I saw that in the screenshots, just never got addressed so I presumed, I stand corrected, Thanks.

You weren't wrong. That's a screenshot of the editor.

(in reply to Behemoth)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Good for single-player? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI