Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Its dead Jim

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Its dead Jim Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 5:46:30 AM   
marky

well, after about 37 months of service, my first computer has taken several fish and is on fire, and listing heavily

the order to abandon ship has already been given

no other choice really

im sure sum of the plankowners such as i will remember the trials and tribbleations of my first computer

it came about as partly becuz of the fact that after finally getting Uncommon Valor in march 2004, it refused to run on our first household computer. it would not be until early august 2004 that my first computer and UV came onlone and purred to life, many happy gaming hours followed, but over the months and years, she began to deteriorate, and finnaly, about 28 october, came not the blue screen of death, but error messages upon error messages, finally ending in a windows error message and reboot loop. a few days ago, damage control (milwaukee pc) delivered the news that the mobo ad graphics card were fried, and the hard drive was a liability, and that seeing as how everything was obsolete, it would be better to get a new computer rather than overhaul the existing 1. thus ends the career of "Bluey"

now, a cpl days ago, moms computer failed as well, tho she doesnt know the truth of it, cuz i enjoy breathing and having a roof over my head, and the prospect of a new computer

i dont plan to tell her the truth of wat happened, till after this lil crisis is over

(i was playing 2142, it froze, i hit the button on the surge protector, poof, corrupted windows file )

now

this brings me to my question

i either get her to get me an alienware 7500 area 51, or i build 1 completely on my own, which im not sure i can do

so

how hard is it?

bearing in mind i have no computer construction skillz

Post #: 1
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 5:53:37 AM   
marky

twaz only an accident, tho i seem accident prone 

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 2
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 11:23:15 AM   
TulliusDetritus

"now, a cpl days ago, moms computer failed as well, tho she doesnt know the truth of it, cuz i enjoy breathing and having a roof over my head, and the prospect of a new computer"

This means er, you fried/massacred/slaughtered that PC as well? Only god knows what you have been doing with those PCs [this is of course rhetorical]... I remember some months ago you were using a Silent Hunter 4 banner. And you said you were playing that game. From what I know that game truly needs a powerful machine... Did you install SH4 in your next vict... er, mom's PC, sorry? If you are riding a horse/mule/donkey you shouldn't be racing in F1. You might want to consider this other nick: Attila the Merciless King of the Doomed PCs

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 11/17/2007 2:08:40 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 3
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 1:52:06 PM   
wdolson

I happened to slap together a new system this evening.  (Needed a work computer that would run 64 bit Windows.)  Took me about 6 hours including about an hour trying to figure out the mystery of why it wouldn't boot.  I took out the motherboard, put it back in and it worked.   The odd mysteries of computing.  It's rare to have any problems these days building a computer, especially if you aren't building something that is bleeding edge.

Everything comes with instructions and there are websites out there that show things step by step. 

But then I've been building them for 20 years.  They are much easier to build today.  My first computer was an 80286 with 512 KB of RAM and a 20 MB hard drive which sounded like a diesel truck.  Of course it ran MS-DOS too.  Fond memories...

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 4:32:46 PM   
AW1Steve

You have my condolences Marky. Was it a nice funeral? Buried at sea or in the back yard. Might I suggest that you might , if you haven’t disposed of the body , autopsy it? All kidding aside , Although I haven’t yet built my first computer (I’m getting around to it) I found that by taking it apart and looking at where everything goes. It might give you a bit of a feel for your build. (And it gives you much satisfaction in revenge ).

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 7:25:21 PM   
Yakface

Somebody needs to set the Computer Protection League on you for cruel abuse of hardware.  At the very least there should be an injunction prohibiting you from touching any keyboards.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 6
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/17/2007 9:27:26 PM   
AW1Steve

I've destroyed more electronic devices than you can ever imagine. PC's...Bah , childs play. You should see what I've done to multi-million RADAR sets! In the Navy , Electronic Technicians cristenend me "The Black Cloud" for all the systems I trashed by just being in the same room with them! Keyboards? I don't need no STINKIN keyboards! Computer disection is the least of my crimes. Electronics fear me , and right fully so......

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 7
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/19/2007 10:24:59 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I've destroyed more electronic devices than you can ever imagine. PC's...Bah , childs play. You should see what I've done to multi-million RADAR sets! In the Navy , Electronic Technicians cristenend me "The Black Cloud" for all the systems I trashed by just being in the same room with them! Keyboards? I don't need no STINKIN keyboards! Computer disection is the least of my crimes. Electronics fear me , and right fully so......

Blah! I've personally witnessed a multi-million dollar "source-range" nuclear instrument expell its "magic-smoke" in order to protect a $10.00 fuse. Now THAT was cool.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 8
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/20/2007 4:51:54 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whipple

quote:

Blah! I've personally witnessed a multi-million dollar "source-range" nuclear instrument expell its "magic-smoke" in order to protect a $10.00 fuse. Now THAT was cool.

Whipple

Is that the "magic smoke" that once emitted, can never be put back in without a major rebuild of the item from which it escaped and everything remotely attached to that item, and is it usually accompanied with a lot of crazy sparkly thingies?

< Message edited by RevRick -- 11/20/2007 4:52:58 AM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 9
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/20/2007 5:20:19 PM   
Dili

I think it is sleeping

< Message edited by Dili -- 11/20/2007 5:21:13 PM >

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 10
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/20/2007 8:45:06 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

quote:

quote:

Whipple

Is that the "magic smoke" that once emitted, can never be put back in without a major rebuild of the item from which it escaped and everything remotely attached to that item, and is it usually accompanied with a lot of crazy sparkly thingies?

Ayup, thats the smoke!

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
93-96 NFAS Orlando

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 11
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/21/2007 3:44:34 AM   
wdolson

Ah, the famous smoke theory...

The one that says that electronics actually run on smoke.  If you let the smoke out, they won't work anymore.

Bill

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 12
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/21/2007 7:16:15 AM   
06 Maestro

marky

Forget about the Alienware-it is way over rated. I bought one early last year with a fancy raid 0 configuration-what a joke. I have never had so many problems with a pc. I bought a couple of HP’s for my kids last Christmas that are faster and more stable than my mighty Alien (for half the damn price ea). The “respawn” disk is crap-nothing on it-confirmed by a techy. It created a situation that left me with no alternative but to call for a computer wizard-the 1st time I’ve ever been so desperate. The required service set me back almost 3 hundred-not counting other good/sensitive stuff on the safe back up, which bought the big one too.

Alienware was bought by Dell right about the time I made my purchase. All the great support reviews were for the old Alienware. When you get around to calling for help, be prepared to talk to “Frank” with heavy Urdu accent.

About building one; check what the operating system and desired software will end up costing you before you go too far.

There are several very good manufacturers that provide a superior product to Alienware for far less money-shop around and check the reviews from different sites.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/21/2007 8:50:13 AM   
pad152

Dell machines are ok but, not the bleeding edge, the only good support you get from Dell any more is on their support forums, forget their phone support.

Also forget Vista and 64 bit for gaming, crash city! Not only does the OS have still have issues, nobody seems to be able to made good stable video drivers for it yet!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 14
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/22/2007 3:33:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Yoohoooo... anyone at hooooome...? Marky?

"moms computer failed as well" + "i enjoy breathing and having a roof over my head"

Technically a bridge may be a "roof", eh?

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 15
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/22/2007 4:15:22 PM   
Nomad

Just to wade it, I just bought a Dell( actually my company/boss bought it for me - and it had to be from Dell). I had a problem with a bad memory stick and had no problem with Dell phone support at all. All of our computers at work are from Dell and I have had good phone support - talk nice to that nice guy that lives just outside Deli. I should note that I have only had to make three calls in the last 2 years - we have 14 Dells at work - so the computers are quite reliable.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 11/22/2007 4:16:46 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 16
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/22/2007 7:35:22 PM   
marky

have no fear bopys i am still here 

my cover story worked very well, and she actually didnt blow a gasket

a decided a few days ago to build it myself, so no alienware for me

so i need to pick out the parts

i think intell and nvida will fill my CPU and graphics needs this time

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 17
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/22/2007 7:39:51 PM   
marky

oops, boys lol

im on the oldest coputer in the house, with mine and moms both at MPC

this computer i #$% u not is about 11 years old, our first real computer ever

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 18
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/23/2007 12:51:54 AM   
wdolson

I've used AMD processors for quite a few years now.  Nvidia does appear to be leading the pack in graphics these days.  Asus has historically made good motherboards, though I did have problems with one (first time ever) earlier this year.  The last one I built with an Asus is working fine though. 

Plextor makes the best DVD/CD burners.  They are the standard among pros.

Maxtor hard drives are often larger and cheaper, but I have found Seagate and Western Digital make more reliable drives.

There are a lot of review sites out there.  Tom's Hardware is a good one.  There are some others too.  Do some research and select parts with good reviews.  Also, it's probably a good idea not to go with the latest, fastest processor.  The Asus board I had trouble with earlier this year was partially due to using the latest processor (there were other problems too).  The BIOS on the board from the factory didn't support that processor and I had to get a new chip mailed to me from Asus.  The latest machine I built was further behind the curve and I had no compatability problems.

Bill

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 19
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/23/2007 5:40:50 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

Maxtor hard drives are often larger and cheaper, but I have found Seagate and Western Digital make more reliable drives.

That's cuz both companys use superior Strasbaugh machines for their silicon wafer processes!

(yes, I work there)

Attachment (1)

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/24/2007 2:22:45 AM   
marky

thankyz

i agree about the asus mobos

i want the best quality parts, since mams payin...

there is further news on that front

milwaukee pc says the mobo on HERS is probably toasted, and they said about 400 for a new 1

mama has not felt so hot since the news came in, neither have i really

2 computers in 1 month

perhaps i should reconsider the com sci major i want...

is it possible that my playing 2142 on her computer toasted da mobo?

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 21
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/24/2007 11:32:05 AM   
marky

im still lookin at cases but i foudn a few good 1s like the antec performance cases, p182, p182se, their 900, a cooler master that can take 9 120 mm fans tho thats overkill

ill deffinitely go with the Nvid 8800 GT i fink and as said go with SLI mobo for the future

andi want at least a dual, or maybe a quad core

but i havent really come back to intel cuz im not sure

im leanin towards AMD tho but i want at least a dula core

but if i remember that while AMD procs run hotter theyre better for gaming, but i do wanna swing to NVIDIA here i think anyway

is there any benefit to RAID?

and no im not doing any water cooling or overclocking, reason being:

1. mom wouldnt pay for it
2. electronics+water= BAD
3. i dont even wanna try and mess with it cuz building a computer on my own is pushing the envelope enuff for me for now
4. it doesnt improve performance all that much and its just more stress to worry about, and ill be in college full time and have enuff to worry about

so basically if u put this on a spectrum, or scale, and a 1 computer would be the weakest and 10 the strongest im lookin to build probly a 7, maybe an 8

cuz putting in top of the line parts is a waste of money cuz theyll have sumthin new in like 2 hours

but i want sumthing thats versatile and functional and is flexible for the future

i want quality parts even if theyre more expensive, im sure my "investor" will agree

basically wats in my head now:

Dual or maybe Quad core PSU (AMD or Intel?)
Good antec case or the coolermaster or sumthin else i like
2 Gigs corsair RAM
fast and quality DVD/CD drive
500 GB maybe quality HD
XFI Gamer or platinum sound

the decision to build is more or less made, i want to cuz itll be fun and a challange and ill learn and well save money and blahhhh

ive lost all faith in a dell, and alienwares expensive, i could almost build 2 for 1 alienware almost it seems

and nvidia seems to be handing ATI their arse

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 22
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/24/2007 3:06:55 PM   
wworld7

Marky,

Dell's are fine computers.

Flipper

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 23
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 3:18:58 AM   
marky

but not for gaming and they use cheap partttsss 

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 24
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 3:58:30 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

but not for gaming and they use cheap partttsss 

Depends on what model you get. I have an XPS720 - it certainly does do games very well.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 25
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 4:21:33 AM   
whippleofd

Marky:

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your change in "style". I once didn't look forward to your posts, but now, it is different. Nice to see that you have matured. Best wishes on the new computer, how ever you decide to go.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
93-96 NFAS Orlando

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 26
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 2:14:49 PM   
wdolson

Dual cores run hotter than single cores and quad cores run very hot.  They are also very expensive.  The weather is getting colder in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment, so you might not be too worried about it now, but next srping you might find it impossible to keep your room cool enough to sit at the computer without passing out from heat stroke.

More seriously for the electronics, have lots of cooling fans in the case and one of those dual or quad cores might still run too hot.  The dual core I built for my father is used for Photoshop.  A few weeks after he got it, the computer started seizing up when running Photoshop.  Turned out he was still a little shy on cooling, even with the fans I put in there.  Hooking up one more fan appears to have made the difference. 

Real time games will probably tax the system more than Photoshop does.

The newer computers do put out a lot of heat though.  I have my everyday computer underclocked because the office was getting too hot.  It still isn't great in the summer, but tolerable with extra air conditioning in the office along with the central air in the house.

Bill

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 27
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 2:17:16 PM   
marky

quote:

Marky:

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your change in "style". I once didn't look forward to your posts, but now, it is different. Nice to see that you have matured. Best wishes on the new computer, how ever you decide to go.

Whipple

*scratches head*

i didnt realize i did anything different

but thanky

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 28
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 2:19:39 PM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Dual cores run hotter than single cores and quad cores run very hot. They are also very expensive. The weather is getting colder in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment, so you might not be too worried about it now, but next srping you might find it impossible to keep your room cool enough to sit at the computer without passing out from heat stroke.

More seriously for the electronics, have lots of cooling fans in the case and one of those dual or quad cores might still run too hot. The dual core I built for my father is used for Photoshop. A few weeks after he got it, the computer started seizing up when running Photoshop. Turned out he was still a little shy on cooling, even with the fans I put in there. Hooking up one more fan appears to have made the difference.

Real time games will probably tax the system more than Photoshop does.

The newer computers do put out a lot of heat though. I have my everyday computer underclocked because the office was getting too hot. It still isn't great in the summer, but tolerable with extra air conditioning in the office along with the central air in the house.

Bill

hmmm, well i always keep a fan by the computer anyway

and im thinkin of a cooler master with up to 9 120 MMs addable

or maybe the antec 900

ill probably use different fans anyway

i was thinkin about this Quad -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: Its dead Jim - 11/25/2007 2:26:03 PM   
marky

with the decision more or less made ive started narrowing down parts, and this is wat ive got in mind

Case: undecided, either antec or a cooler master
RAM: 3 Gigs Corsair
Graphics: 2 8800 GTs in SLI
Sound: X-Fi Gamer or Platinum
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
Monitor: Undecided but i want a view sonic or samsung LCD i saw(in a dream id get that 42 incher )
New mouse: Razer Deathadder

any thoughts or advice?

that Quad core got sum good reviews

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Its dead Jim Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI