Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How good is the AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> How good is the AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How good is the AI? - 11/26/2007 1:38:33 PM   
jadam12

Greetings,
I'm still waiting for the opportunity to buy this game (to get a credit card or to be able to pay from Hungary via bank), but I keep checking these boards to get additional information about it.
So because I mainly play against the computer, I'd like to hear your opinion about how challenging is it to play as either the TE or the CP side against the AI?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: How good is the AI? - 11/27/2007 11:55:13 AM   
wurger54

quote:

ORIGINAL: jadam12

Greetings,
I'm still waiting for the opportunity to buy this game (to get a credit card or to be able to pay from Hungary via bank), but I keep checking these boards to get additional information about it.
So because I mainly play against the computer, I'd like to hear your opinion about how challenging is it to play as either the TE or the CP side against the AI?

Thanks

The AI isn't all that challenging. It is good for learning game mechanics and making you feel like the best general in history. For the real test, its playing those tricky human opponants... talk about unpredictable!

(in reply to jadam12)
Post #: 2
RE: How good is the AI? - 11/27/2007 12:30:49 PM   
Skeleton

I would have to second wurger's response, but, that is not speaking of the new update. This game really shines via PBEM. With AACW, one of the two best games released within the last couple of years. I highly recommand it and my praise is not easy to earn.

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 3
RE: How good is the AI? - 11/27/2007 12:35:17 PM   
Venator

The AI was pretty awful in the first release. It seems much better with the recent official patch. Obviously a human opponent is going to be more cunning but the AI seems to me now to give a reasonable game  - and that's about as much as one can expect I think. I can only think of a couple of games where I think the AI is stronger (excepting AIs that cheat).

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 4
RE: How good is the AI? - 11/30/2007 11:55:03 PM   
justaguy93

I'm playing my second game, this one as the TE giving the CP all advantages.  The AI has never really launched a coordinated assault that has threatened any of my allies, but it seems to react well to small scale and short term type situations which makes it fairly effective at defense.  I just don't think computers are capable of grand strategy anywhere near the level of a person yet, so you aren't going to get an AI that comes close to playing another person for a long time.  On the other hand, when Italy joined the CP in my current game the AI was smart enough to hit the British fleet hard in the Med and then hit the North Seas in force with a Jutland style attack once I had transfered a good chunk of the British fleet down south.  If the Americans handn't shown up right after that happened the British might have been in some serious trouble.  So I guess the AI managed to pull at least one very clever move on me so far.

(in reply to Venator)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> How good is the AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI