Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kampfgruppe Peiper

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Kampfgruppe Peiper Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/26/2007 5:41:45 PM   
PaladinSix

Can anyone give me some tactical tips for the first scenario in the Kampfgruppe Peiper LCG? I seem to have an inordinate amount of difficulty getting past this first mission with anything approximating 'acceptable losses.'

Given the relatively short time-limit (a common problem), the only method seems to be charge ahead with my heaviest units (Panzer Mk Vs) and hope for the best. As a result, I constantly blunder into minefields and anti-tank gun ambushes (damn that 'recon by death' problem), and when I get to the end, I'm too badly mauled to continue the campaign. Pehaps I'm going about it the wrong way, but I'm actually trying to complete the mission as stated. Is there any penalty for a minor defeat in a LCG?

Thanks for any help, and for those who haven't played this LCG, beware potential spoilers may follow.

PaladinSix
Post #: 1
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/26/2007 9:47:43 PM   
golfbill

The only way I have ever gotten anywhere with this one is to use the engineers as your scouts. Get the engineers to the head of each column and they can take care of the mines. Also get the infantry on a parallel course course next to the roads.

golfbill

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 2
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/26/2007 10:58:53 PM   
PaladinSix

That was my thinking too (after several costly minefield-mistakes). However, to properly clear the mines and the many roadblocks burns too many turns (unless I'm doing it wrong). By the end of the scenario, I'm not close to the final victory hexes, nor to the exit hex. Just can't figure this one out.

PaladinSix

(in reply to golfbill)
Post #: 3
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/26/2007 11:10:26 PM   
PaladinSix

By the way, anyone know what happened to the Panzer VIBs that are promised in the OOB? They don't make an appearance, at least not in the first two scenarios.

PaladinSix

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 4
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/27/2007 5:17:55 AM   
Jason Petho

From what I remember, they show up later on in the campaign. I recall they definitely show up in the last scenario.

Jason Petho

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 5
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/27/2007 8:25:26 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaladinSix

Can anyone give me some tactical tips for the first scenario in the Kampfgruppe Peiper LCG? I seem to have an inordinate amount of difficulty getting past this first mission with anything approximating 'acceptable losses.'

Given the relatively short time-limit (a common problem), the only method seems to be charge ahead with my heaviest units (Panzer Mk Vs) and hope for the best. As a result, I constantly blunder into minefields and anti-tank gun ambushes (damn that 'recon by death' problem), and when I get to the end, I'm too badly mauled to continue the campaign. Pehaps I'm going about it the wrong way, but I'm actually trying to complete the mission as stated. Is there any penalty for a minor defeat in a LCG?

Thanks for any help, and for those who haven't played this LCG, beware potential spoilers may follow.

PaladinSix

It's been awhile, but here's what I recall...

I seem to remember that after you've cleared out that first roadblock, it was a pretty straight shot thereafter to the VP hex. Definitely lead with the Panthers after you've broken through, screened as best you can with the expendable FJ troops.
I always take the PzIVs on a cross-country rampage straight west with a few FJ troops. Soon you come upon some Priests for some easy VPs, then head the Panzer IVs back north to link up with the main thrust.

Your main goal isn't killing the enemy, it's getting as many German units as possible through the exit VP hex.

It's a toughie, and they don't get any easier after this...
I recall at the end of this LCG, my PzIVs were about 25% strength, Panthers around 50%.

Good luck!

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 6
RE: Kampfgruppe Peiper - 11/28/2007 9:42:40 PM   
Conny D

Is there an explanation why KG Peiper campaign is over after capturing Meuse crossings? The objective was Antwerp not Huy

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Kampfgruppe Peiper Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI