Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most lethal Gun of the War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most lethal Gun of the War? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most lethal Gun of the War? - 9/14/2000 12:14:00 AM   
Spellbinder

Hi All, I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War? Considering Penetration, ROF, accuracy ect? I always thought the German 88 and 128 did a good job, also the US 90, but playing a '46 against Russian Heavy Metal I experience a lot of bouncing and non-lethal penetrations. Looking at the numbers the British 17pounder seems pretty decent too, but what would be in "real-play" the Gun of your choice? And then, maybe, which chassis(?) would you select to carry it? Thanks for your thoughts :-) Ciao Spellbinder ------------------ "Semper Paratus"

Post #: 1
- 9/14/2000 12:33:00 AM   
Drake

I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War? See the most Lethal, would have to say the rail gun Dora. Make a shell hole that you have to clime out of Considering Penetration, ROF, accuracy ect? Considering all of the above I would have to say the German 88. Nothing like German optics. I always thought the German 88 and 128 did a good job, also the US 90, but playing a '46 against Russian Heavy Metal I experience a lot of bouncing and non-lethal penetrations. Looking at the numbers the British 17pounder seems pretty decent too, but what would be in "real-play" the Gun of your choice? Real play I would have to say the 88. A true and tested gun. And then, maybe, which chassis(?) would you select to carry it? Would go with the panther. They were working on a Panther II that could carry the 88 at the end of the war. Would have ben diedly.

(in reply to Spellbinder)
Post #: 2
- 9/14/2000 12:37:00 AM   
dox44

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drake: [B]I'm just wondering which is in your opinion the most lethal Gun of the War? the gun the other guy is using...

Post #: 3
- 9/14/2000 3:50:00 AM   
McGib

the gun the other guy is using...[/QUOTE] I think we have a winner! ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready

Ready Aye Ready

Post #: 4
- 9/14/2000 4:35:00 AM   
RUsco

16 in Naval Gun. Approx 2500 lb Shell tossed about 16 miles. Besides, they made more than 1 or 2 of them.

Post #: 5
- 9/14/2000 4:45:00 AM   
Rickenbacker

The "hohendruckpumpe" was pretty impressive, containing little chambers with propellant along the immensely long barrel that went off in sequence, the idea being to shoot a large shell to London, from somewhere in France. Not very practical, as the barrel kept cracking . Seriously, though, I think the german 88mm gun was probably the best all round heavy weapon of the war. The 17pdr was good too, but in Europe mainly saw action in the Sherman Firefly IIRC, and was thus quite vulnerable. If the Tiger I had been more reliable it'd have been the best tank of the war. ------------------ Rickenbacker ------------ rickenbacker@innocent.com

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

Post #: 6
- 9/14/2000 9:26:00 AM   
Hauptmann6

I would have to say the US 16"50cal Naval Gun. 2700 pound(IIRC) AP shell able to go though 12+ inches of steel. Haupt

Post #: 7
- 9/14/2000 11:25:00 AM   
jerrek

what about the gun in the sturm tiger. I wouldn't like to get hit by that thing whethor i was in tank, building or fortification. i tonne shells i seem to remember - only carried 12 plus 1 up the spout. needed a crane to handle them.

Post #: 8
- 9/14/2000 2:15:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh? The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-) Serious, it really looks as if the 88 or 17pdr would be the gun of your choice. Any other options? Of course the 300 of the Sturmtiger is nice, especially if you bombard a hex and see about 5 or 6 bailed-out crews disperse in the adjacent hexes ;-) That's what I call "clean-up" :-) TIA Spellbinder ------------------ "Semper Paratus"

Post #: 9
- 9/14/2000 4:46:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by Spellbinder: Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh? The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-)
BUY BIGGER TANK !!!!!!!

Post #: 10
- 9/14/2000 7:29:00 PM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Spellbinder: Ah well, I guess I should've been more precise in my post, huh? The 16'' and the Dora are of course impressive, but how the hell am I gonna mount this on my little tank ;-)
They *did* plan to build a 'Dora' with tracked chassis.... see: http://members.tripod.com/~fingolfen/superheavy/p1500.html Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most lethal Gun of the War? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI