Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Linux titles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Linux titles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linux titles - 6/27/2001 9:57:00 PM   
varis

I assume Matrix Games is well aware of Linux (just like Macintosh) as a possible platform for future titles. Has there been any specific statements concerning Linux from Matrix Games or discussion on these forums? Linux does already have a few commercial strategy games, but it would be nice to see something like Matrix Games' titles ported to our favourite OS. Porting could help marketing wise too, as the Linux (or Macintosh) communities would be pushing the title, so news about it could reach the ears of the gaming mainstream more easily... Not to mention that Linux is the game server platform of choice. If making a full native port is considered too expensive, one option is to only use those features of DirectX that are supported by WINE, the Win32 API implementation for Linux.

Post #: 1
- 6/27/2001 11:29:00 PM   
sinner

Hi, I'm writting to you from my Linux. Now, I can play SPWaW 5.03 with WINE!!! :) Yes, try this version "Wine release 20010510 ". I use the RPM: wine-cvs-stripped-062301-1.rpm in my Mandrake 8.0 I installed, played, and upgraded from 5.0 to 5.03. Unfortunately, the "Sound upgrade" program does not work :( If you need help, please contact me.

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to varis)
Post #: 2
RE: - 12/7/2010 9:39:02 AM   
Andrew Williams

Cross of Iron seems to be running fine on Linux/wine

Sound works

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2640256

(in reply to sinner)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 12/7/2010 12:06:49 PM   
htuna

As the said above, you can run lots of stuff on Wine.. especially stuff that doesn't have High End Graphics.. like war games...

So far on my Wife's Netbook I've run TOAW III, JTillers Civil War, HPS Anteitam, HPS Red Victory

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 12/7/2010 12:31:07 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

As the said above, you can run lots of stuff on Wine.. especially stuff that doesn't have High End Graphics.. like war games...

So far on my Wife's Netbook I've run TOAW III, JTillers Civil War, HPS Anteitam, HPS Red Victory

Conquest of the Aegean is another one which works on Wine

Frankly, I don't really see the need for specific development for Linux, everyone I know who has a Linux box either has a Windows box too for serious stuff, has a Windows emulator or can dual-boot into Windows.

What wargame developers should be looking at is iPad and Android development

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 12/7/2010 12:44:45 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625
... I've run TOAW III...

+1

I've also run Matrix' Battle Ground Series (American Civil War, Napoleon) under (Ubuntu) Linux WINE, but with a graphics quirk or two.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 12/7/2010 1:05:55 PM   
junk2drive

I gave up on ubuntu at 10.04 when ATI cards wouldn't work.
With the slow computer I had with 9.10, booting to windows to play a game then back again to surf or whatever took to long for me. I became easier just to stay in windows.

I liked a lot of what ubuntu offered and I was already familiar with open office and some of the other programs it uses. I couldn't get my type of games to work with wine.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Linux titles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote