Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dec '44 -ENDGAME- IJN Battleline committed to Formosa waters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Dec '44 -ENDGAME- IJN Battleline committed to Formosa waters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dec '44 -ENDGAME- IJN Battleline committed to Formosa w... - 11/29/2007 3:24:37 PM   
tabpub

Hi. I'm trying to pick up again doing my AAR of the fight with Herbie that has been going on for the last 2 years. The prior AAR was "Singapore in '44", but I couldn't keep it up properly and it fell by the wayside. I am trying to re-energize my AAR juices by starting up "fresh". Will be trying to keep it up on a more regular basis and throw in more images this time. Hope it gives some of you something different to check out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tabpub -- 12/2/2008 9:56:21 PM >

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
Post #: 1
RE: June '44 ENDGAME --- a resumption of an old AAR. - 11/29/2007 6:07:18 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Thanks for getting back on the horse, late war AAR's are rare and nice to see thank you

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2
RE: June '44 ENDGAME --- a resumption of an old AAR. - 12/11/2007 11:43:48 AM   
tabpub

June 10, 1944
Update on the progress of WarPlan42.

June 5 – Australian 7th ID lands at Sorong versus negligible opposition on the beaches.
Over the next 3 days, attacks have reduced the IJ position and forced the defenders into the jungle to the east. Bombing of IJ airfields on Morotai and Wasile by medium and heavy groups cut down the IJ response to the landing; only one major airstrike is attempted and it is repulsed with heavy losses to the attackers. Description follows.

06/06/44
Day Air attack on TF, near Sorong at 42,74
Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 11
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 36
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 15
Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 44
F6F Hellcat x 10
F4U-1 Corsair x 2
Kittyhawk III x 1
P-47D Thunderbolt x 4
Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 10 destroyed
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 35 destroyed
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 15 destroyed
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
F6F Hellcat: 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed
P-47D Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Allied Ships
CVE Sangamon
Aircraft Attacking:
1 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Several large minelaying sub groups have been sent to interdict the IJN shipping thru the PI archipelago. The missions show immediate results:

06/09/44
TF 17 encounters mine field at Masbate Island (44,56)
Japanese Ships
PG Seiko Maru
PG Kamitsu Maru
PG Hakkaisan Maru
TK Shimotsu Maru, Mine hits 1, on fire
=============================================
06/09/44
Sub attack near Masbate Island at 44,56
Japanese Ships
TK Otowasan Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PG Shotoku Maru
PG Seiko Maru
PG Kamitsu Maru
PG Hakkaisan Maru
PG Chitose Maru
PG Aso Maru
Allied Ships
SS Gudgeon
06/09/44
Sub attack near Masbate Island at 44,56
Japanese Ships
TK Otowasan Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage (sinks following this attack)
Allied Ships
SS Gudgeon

Though, the IJN is still showing its increased effectiveness in ASW. A bad report from the Sulu Sea.
06/09/44
ASW attack at 39,57
Japanese Ships
PC PC-25
PC PC-24
PC PC-17
PC PC-16
PC PC-14
PC PC-12
Allied Ships
SS Cavalla, hits 16, on fire, heavy damage (sinks with AH)

At Biak, under cover of air from Sarmi AF, elements of the 1st and 3rd MID land with supporting armor yesterday. Only one LCI(G) has been lost to date, due to a mine hit. Force is 80% ashore, will begin to attack from the beach on the 11th, after the rest of the support troops have been landed.

In SEAC, Bangkok is showing less resistance as the flak versus heavy bombers at 15000 ft is not seen. Ground strikes have been ordered to be increased again; most of the divisions have recovered much of their energy. A new attack is planned to go in a day or two; once the tac air has had a chance to strike some blows.

To the south, 3 brigades are loaded on ships and are proceeding to Medan; they are covered by the Royal Navy in force. Once Medan is established, it will provide tac air cover all the way down the Malay peninsula. When the Bangkok pocket is eliminated, this will allow for air cover for any flanking attacks supporting the main effort from Bandou down the peninsula. Though, it might prove difficult to reduce the Bangkok defenses quickly; thoughts of encapsulating the forces there and moving on are being considered as well. The RN is also considering testing the Singapore air defenses after the Medan landing. To date, nothing but recon has been flown over this area.

In China, nothing much new; increased air strikes on ground targets in Hong Kong. Ground forces waiting for a clearer period of weather before attempting a crossing there. One B29 group being used against troop concentrations there.

Finally, the 77th ID is about to land at Wake Island tomorrow. They are covered by 5 fleet carriers and about 15 CVE’s. The defenses should be overwhelmed in the first wave. Wake makes for a good refueling and air search base; there is some small potential for expansion in the future, but it is mainly a threat against the IJN central Pacific position.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 3
RE: June '44 ENDGAME --- a resumption of an old AAR. - 2/6/2008 12:09:35 AM   
tabpub

Due to various circumstances, like weather, travel for holidays, etc, we have only progressed a couple of weeks over the last month or so. I will give a précis of what has happened over the last 2 weeks of game time to get back up to speed here.

June 26, 1944

Wake Island was hit by the 77th ID as mentioned in prior posting; landing was on the 10th, which captured the main facilities. Mop-up on the 11th eliminated the remainder of the garrison; no IJ activity in support of this garrison. 77th remains there at this time covering the island while support units build more facilities, especially the port. AF at level 3, waiting for CB units to arrive to increase it. Search and patrol bombers are operating from there, with a couple of Corsair squadrons in place. Many reserve squadrons in place on Midway and Pearl in support.

Hong Kong was sporadically bombed in the period June 10-15. The forces from Canton crossed the next day, to a rude welcoming committee:
06/16/44
Ground combat at Hong Kong
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 132254 troops, 718 guns, 355 vehicles, Assault Value = 3572
Defending force 134583 troops, 904 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2333
Allied max assault: 4674 - adjusted assault: 2186
Japanese max defense: 2343 - adjusted defense: 8569
Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 9)
Japanese ground losses:
2072 casualties reported
Guns lost 9
Allied ground losses:
8554 casualties reported
Guns lost 232
Vehicles lost 44

Bombing of ground targets resumed for the next week; then a probe from one tank battalion went in:
06/21/44
Ground combat at Hong Kong
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 107040 troops, 433 guns, 271 vehicles, Assault Value = 2779
Defending force 129986 troops, 853 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2287
Allied max assault: 141 - adjusted assault: 97
Japanese max defense: 2244 - adjusted defense: 12825
Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 9)
Japanese ground losses:
315 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
796 casualties reported
Guns lost 38
Vehicles lost 12

The main units are recovering their casualties while bombarding IJA positions; am waiting for more air support to become available, as they have been busy hitting shipping in the Formosa/PI area over the last week or so. Central and Northern China are stagnant currently.

Formosa:
Heavy enemy shipping was noted off Formosa, 14th and 20th AF were shifted to hit targets in this area. Of particular interest was the oil production at Taipei; over this period, the production here has been reduced to a trickle, more or less. Heavy air combat here has resulted in the IJ losing some 150 a/c either in the air or on the ground; allied losses were 70, split about even between the bombers and fighters. Bombing and sub attacks around the rest of the island have sunk or damaged some 10 or more freighters during this period also.

PI:
A convoy that apparently moved from Formosa to Lamon Bay was struck by 50+ Liberators from Wuchow. 5 freighters were heavily hit, with an equal # left burning. Off the west coast of Luzon, 4 separate sub attacks struck freighters in this period. In the Sulu Sea, PICUDA torpedoes two TK in one day, leaving them heavily hit; in the Celebes, CERO and TRITON account for two more TK, but TRITON is heavily depth-charged and is limping home severely damaged.

Timor:

After some effort, Dili falls on the 17th. Elements of the 2nd Aus ID were shipped in by barge over a couple of weeks; this, combined with the arrival of 4 tank units that moved over land from Lautem finally ended this battle. Dili is now awaiting more air support units to create a bigger AF there. Koepang is bombed repeatedly, AF is closed down, and the Australian Corps figures to be there in a couple of weeks, maximum.

Sumatra:
Medan falls on the 15th; AF being built up currently, just fighters there for now. REPLUSE (1) and CORNWALL (3) are hit by those # of kamikazes; REPLUSE is non-plussed….CORNWALL will be out of action for quite some time. Though, some 100+ planes are used up in these and other Kami efforts. Singapore is heavily guarded by fighters though; two groups of B29’s put up 72 planes at 30k feet there on the 13th, destroying at least 15 a/c mainly on the ground. This prompted a reinforcement of the CAP there; subsequent sweeps by a P38 squadron from Bandou have run into Tonies and Franks that outnumber them 2-3 to 1. They have given as good as they got, but those have been called off until Medan comes on line and we can project more fighters over the area.

Thailand/Indochina:

We have been bombing the pee out of Bangkok….still having a tough time cracking this nut. An attack was launched on the 15th:
06/15/44
Ground combat at Bangkok
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 194653 troops, 1376 guns, 1054 vehicles, Assault Value = 5039
Defending force 81106 troops, 367 guns, 556 vehicles, Assault Value = 1781
Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 7
Allied max assault: 4981 - adjusted assault: 3364
Japanese max defense: 1586 - adjusted defense: 5381
Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 7)
Japanese ground losses:
4330 casualties reported
Guns lost 37
Vehicles lost 5
Allied ground losses:
8966 casualties reported
Guns lost 268
Vehicles lost 13

Since then, a constant barrage of ground, AF and bombardment has seen the IJ AV drop to 1620 from the 1781 that it was at, while the Anglo-Indian-Chinese AV has recovered to 4749.
Another attempt will be made in days, as the primary assault divisions are almost recovered sufficiently.

In the meantime, a Chinese Corps and two tank regiments that bypassed Bangkok have taken Siemrem Reap and are resting there prior to pushing on into Cambodia. Air transports are laid on to ship materiel to the AF at S.R.

Over on the South China Sea, the Chinese forces that were engaged at Hue were reinforced by 3 Chindit Brigades, a tank regiment and 3 engineer regiments (Indian, they had been working in Haiphong); Hue was assaulted and taken on the 21st. The 3 Chinese Corps and the tank regiment are moving down the coast toward Camranh Bay, driving the Hue defenders before them (no, I am not using the pursue command…) The Chindits and engineers are returning to assist in the Bangkok siege.

Finally, in the middle, two Chinese SEAC divisions are moving from the Ubon area to cut the main line between Kratie and Bien Hoa.

NG:

Biak was secured on the 23rd; it has been massively supplied and hordes of CB’s infest the island; it should be ready for heavy bombers by the end of the month or so. The rest of the Vogelkop peninsula should be under my control just after that. Then on to stage 2 of the final offensive.

Aleutians:

Herbie tries a pre-emptive probe of Attu Island in response to my build up there; a small force led by ATAGO was met by two flights of PT’s. 2 PT were lost for one confirmed DD sunk and one probable sunk, with some damage to other units from follow-up air attacks. Two freighters of mine were mistakenly left there and sunk by the IJN forces, but there were no ground forces on board at the time. IJN subs heavily infest the waters up there; 2 MSW and a SC have been lost trying to prosecute them; though air ASW has reported some successes in hitting subs on the surface. A CVE group is operating in the chain now to assist in this effort and to cover against any future IJN probes.

Overall:
Main carrier groups have been stood down for the time being due to repair and upgrade issues; they are 50% done with this and should be ready for the next main operations in the next 2 weeks or so. Anglo-Indian forces are waiting to see the results of Bangkok/Indochina operations before committing to the Malay campaign; IJA forces in the Malay area appear to be moving to cover their sea flank and withdrawing from the forward Songkhia position.

That is all for now. Glad to be back writing something on this. Any questions will be gladly answered if asked. I know that some might wish more details on some things that I haven’t covered. That and pictures or status reports on losses and the like can be posted.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 4
Collapse in Indochina?? - 2/11/2008 11:39:03 AM   
tabpub

June 29th, 1944

Bombing at Bangkok over the last 3 days has caused some 700+ casualties to the Japanese defenders; bombardments have caused about 1000. Japanese AV is reported to have dropped 9 points, from 1605 to 1596 in that period, while Anglo-Indian AV has gone up from 4844 to 4922; a gain of 78 in the same period. Combat engineers that were used in Hue assault are now on their way to Bangkok; when they arrive, the timing of another assault on the perimeter can be determined.

Meanwhile, operations in Indochina continue going well. I am now giving this operation its name, “TIGHTROPE”, as we are balancing on a wire here. Three forces are converging on Saigon, relying on a combination of air supply and overland supply from China.

From the north, 3 Chinese corps and a light tank regiment are moving from Hue driving the IJA back to just outside Camrahn Bay. In the last battle, which was midway between Hue and Camrahn Bay, 32000 Chinese handily defeated 4600 Japanese; inflicting 600 casualties to fewer than 100 friendlies.

Cutting down from Ubon, 2 Chinese divisions and 3 Chindit Brigades move toward a position between Kratie and Bien Hoa; while from Sierem Reap, a Chinese corps and 2 tank regiments approach Kratie, which is held only by the remnants of a IJA base unit. The goal for all these units is Saigon, which was last reported held by some 5 units consisting of about 8000 men or so. At the very least, they seek to pin them in place, while more supplies can be flown in; and units can bypass the Bangkok perimeter to reinforce them if needed.

Forces are ready to land on the Malay coast, as soon as Bangkok is resolved; as forces from there will be needed to prosecute any move down the peninsula. Medan is a size 2 AF, and will be starting sweep operations against the Singapore air concentration.

Hong Kong is still a holding operation currently. In air ops over Formosa, one AK was sunk by B24’s and 8 Oscar IIa were downed for no friendly loss. On the waters around the Philippines, 6 AP/AK were torpedoed for no appreciable damage to our subs.

A minelayer was sunk by SAND LANCE off Okinawa; she was slightly damaged by the counterattack and is retiring to Pearl.

A TK and an AP were mined off Balikpapan for heavy damage.

Forces have landed on Noemfoor, which is unoccupied. Another is heading to Manokwari tomorrow. The 5th Australian Division is heading to Koepang with supporting units; it should arrive there in 3 days. Taking that base will result in the completion of the Timor campaign, other than mopping up IJA remnants. Once the shipping is freed up from that operation, 2nd phase operations toward Morotai and Mendano will commence. We are still on timetable for landings in the southern PI in September.

B29 operations have been confined to recon and minelaying operations in the Legaspi and Lamon Bay areas due to weather and fatigue conditions. When the 4 new groups due in 2 weeks arrive, they will perform these and other peripheral tasks; the original 4 groups will commence operations against more important industrial targets in either Manchuria or Japan itself, now that their experience levels are starting to approach the 70 mark.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 5
State of Affairs - 2/12/2008 2:37:21 AM   
tabpub

During a lull in the day, I compiled this group of figures from the game. It's a big 'un......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 6
RE: State of Affairs - 2/12/2008 10:24:51 AM   
castor troy

wonder why you have -1252 political points? Doesn´t the British withdrawel stop?

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 7
RE: State of Affairs - 2/12/2008 12:42:51 PM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

wonder why you have -1252 political points? Doesn´t the British withdrawel stop?

Hi Castor,

No, it doesn't seem to....and I wish it would......the calendar just went to July of '44 and the Admiralty seems to need a CVE and 2 DD back home....Crikey, it's past D-Day over there...all that's left to do is the Anvil/Avalanche whatever landing on the south coast of France in August...
I am waiting to get to 6/45 and need to send ships home after the surrender date....I will flip....
Anyhow, I will HAVE to send this one back; I can't stand being negative anymore..I have leaders to sort out ALL over the place...just formed a transport TF and an Indian MG was in command...not to mention all the IJ infiltrators commanding ships and subs...and that I can't assign an ADM to a TF due to this negative situation.....

Anyhow, bit drunk right now; will catch up later. Main news was 2 torpedoings today off Taipei; Noemfoor falls and Phnom Phen in Cambodia...intel has some 12k men in Saigon, up from the 8k that was reported, but I think most are REMF's, so I don't worry too much over it.
14th and 20th AF are ordered to put max effort over Taipai tomorrow, but tstorms are forecast.
A picture of the forces in the Bangkok siege: rest of report tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 8
Southern Area of Operations - 2/15/2008 12:12:20 AM   
tabpub

July 2, 1944

Your two day report on the course of the war, presented by WHEATIES, the “Breakfast of Champions”….

The last 2 days have seen some action, mainly of the air and land variety; we start in the SEAC area and work to the East.

In Sumatra, enemy air detected some shipping heading to the base at Medan. The bases air complement had been reinforced in anticipation of some offensive action against Singapore; The Spits and Tbolts were just waiting for the weather to clear up some before going to visit the other “Pearl”.
First attack was what appeared to be 29 ‘Zeke’ fighters on a kami run; 36 Spit VIII & 7 Tbolt II dealt with them handily; none strike any shipping.
The main attack was 72 ‘Tony’ and ‘Frank’ types escorting 56 bombers, of which 40 were ‘Betties’. The same CAP shot down 56 fighters while losing 8; 3 bombers were destroyed by A2A or Flak. Two AK are hit once each; bomb & torpedo respectively; damage is moderate, and unloading continues. In other action, 3 ‘Zekes’ try to get some LCT’s that are operating there; they are shot down.

Bangkok is shelled and bombed; and then bombed and shelled. Indications are that a 3-1 base AV have been reached; awaiting the engineer regiments to begin the attack.
The 55th Chinese ID cuts behind the defending BF at Kratie; an attack of a Chinese corps and the medium tank regiment evaporates the defenders—1700+ casualties to 4 (two of them were from a fistfight over booty).

Koepang is invaded by the 5th AusID; mines are encountered; MSW’s were late in arriving, 5 ships are mined, but only one LST is badly hurt by this. Shellfire is farily intense, damaging more ships; none are sunk, but several are over ¾ damaged now. CAS strikes are being flown against this defense from Derby, Dili and Lautem, and the CVE’s off shore, but have not made much impression here, apparently.

Assorted bombing in the PNG of IJA bases is ongoing; Manokwari is taken, Noemfoor is building quickly. Shipping is assembling for the next operation.

7 Oscars wander over Hong Kong; 2 are shot down, the rest run. Over Formosa, continuing air battles are occurring as both sides struggle to gain/maintain dominance here.
On the 1st, the initial attack was 38 B29 escorted by 54 ‘40N’s targeting the resource production of the area; 32 ‘Jack’ and 9 ‘Oscar’ rose to intercept at 20k. 10 fighters and 1 Superfort were lost; 11 ‘Jack’ and 8 “Oscar’ were shot down, but the bombing was generally ineffective.
Next, two Chinese B25 squadrons try to hit Taipai port; they are unescorted, 4 are destroyed to one defending fighter and only one fuel tank is hit. 16 ‘Jack’ fighters savage the next CAF B25 squadron, shooting down 7 of 15 for 1 loss; only one pier is hit for this loss. All these runs were at 5k feet. The 308th BG puts 27 Libs over Taipei; one is lost for one “Jack’ and a fuel tank and 2 supply dumps are hit. The final strike is an American B25 group from Changsha; 37 bombers and 21 ‘40N’s streak in at 5k to strike a MSW group off shore; 2 fighters are lost but they shoot down 12 “Jacks’, while the bombers sink 2 of the 5 MSW weaving thru the water.

On the 2nd, most of the groups rest; only 2 3 plane B25 strafer attacks occur; one evades CAP, but misses an AP. The other is covered by 34 P40N; 4 are shot down for 5 “Jacks” and a MSW is lightly strafed with no bomb hits.

On the 1st, shipping was detected off Tientsin harbor; the next day, 21 CAF 40N’s sweep the area from Yenen, shooting down 10 ‘Tonies’ for no loss. From Homan, 7 CAF B25 sortie escorted by 32 CAF 40N’s; 4 more ‘Tonies’ go down for one 40N and the bombers heavily hit one AP with 2 bombs.

Finally, on the sub war front, here are the latest returns:

BALAO, operating in grid reference 44-62 off Mindanao to the east encounters a 5 ship modern PC ASW group and avoids it on the 1st. On the 2nd, she spots a fleet DD, USHIO, torpedoes it, but it evades with a sister ship. The same ASW group storms in immediately; BALAO hits one PC with 2 fish, blowing her out of the water; but, her sisters pound the BALAO to the tune of 20% damage and 10% floatation and a trip back to port.

SKATE, off Samar, misses an AP on the 1st.
July 2nd
LANCETFISH, 60 nm SW of Taipei, torpedoes an AK with 3 fish; she immediately sinks.
GRENADIER (that old veteran) operating at 53-51, 300 nm south of Okinawa, finds OKUNI MARU (7000 tons out of Yokohama) and sinks her with 2 torpedo hits.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 9
RE: Southern Area of Operations - 2/15/2008 12:21:41 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi mate,

Just to say good AAR. Keep it up and go Balao

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 10
Report for 3-4 July, 1944 - 2/19/2008 12:55:29 AM   
tabpub

July 4th, 1944

Weather has been bad over the SEAC/China area, inhibiting operations there.
It’s pretty quiet in a relative manner as things are in preparation or resting for the next pushes.

Off Medan on the 4th, 12 ‘Sonias’ streak (right, a streaking Sonia…) at 100 feet heading for a departing convoy. 11 fighters split from the Medan CAP, (8 Spit/3 Tbolt) which shoot down 9; the remaining 3 miss.

Bangkok – Air & ground bombardments cause over 500 casualties over 2 days. The ground forces are only using the 4 artillery regiments to bombard, as the ground troops rest, waiting for the engineer regiments to arrive. They are 3-4 days march from the siege lines; once they arrive and rest a bit (getting disruption/fatigue down to about 20/50) we shall push on the lines again. Last AV estimate was 5097 to 1569.

60 miles NW of Bien Hoa AF, the 55th CID bumps into a “division”; more like the rump of a IJ division, as it has 143 AV. 55th CID is waiting for another CID to arrive; plus the 3 Chindit Brigades behind it, though I think that 2 CID’s can push this IJ unit back to Bien Hoa; allowing the Kratie troops to cross the Mekong with dry feet.

Just NE of Camrahn Bay, the “Chinese Liberation Army of Vietnam” (3 corps and an attached English light tank regiment) have pushed the former Hue defenders into Camrahn Bay perimeter. They are marching on them as we speak and hope to carry the position before they can rally or reinforce it.

No flights over Formosa other than recon; bad weather and unit morale currently, especially in the harder hit CAF units. Over Tientsin, two missions are flown on the 3rd; a sweep by 36 ‘40Ns of the CAF from Yenen hit 11 ‘Tonies’, destroying 7 for 4 losses. 8 CAF B25 and 37 ‘40Ns try to hit the port; but 4 fighters and a bomber are lost for only 1 ‘Tony’ on this attack for negligible damage on the port. As the shipping is apparently gone, and this attack didn’t go well, offensive orders are suspended here for now.

Moving to the south, the Koepang operation is ongoing. To keep the report short, there were 13 separate ground missions flown against the target; ½ of which were disappointing and caused no apparent damage.
On the 3rd, the 5th AUS ID launches an attack, with a armor regiment in support; the attack only gains a few hundred yards of ground and is repulsed; but the Aussie losses are only 87 and inflict almost 300 on the IJA defenders. Disruption is high though; and will rest up for a couple of days before trying any more offensive action. Perhaps by then we can get the ground strikes to find their targets.

To the east of Koepang, Amboina and Morotai AF are struck by Havocs and Libs respectively; 1 and 7 are damaged from AAA and the BDA on the AF’s is moderate.

Hollandia is struck by 4 tacair packages over these 2 days; at least 3 ‘Dinah’ types are reported DOG (destroyed on ground).

The 31st Ind. Mixed Brigade on Woleai is hit twice by Libs from Truk for little reported damage; 4 Libs are damaged by AAA in the 2 missions.

Finally, in the NorPac area, the P38’s from the 21st FG out of Attu fly a sweep over Parashimo Jima on the morning of the 4th. In celebration of “Independence Day”, 64 of them meet 18 “Jack’ and 16 ‘Frank’ fighters over the island; even though the 21st is a relatively “green” unit (highest pilot 73, average is 63) they tear thru the opposing fighters. The final tally is 21st loses 1 destroyed, 1 damaged (which is lost on the way back) for 8 ‘Jack’ and 15 ‘Frank’ losses for the IJAAF/IJNAF forces. The group is given the 5th off in order to rest and celebrate the victory over PJ.

On the sub front, it’s quiet for these 2 days:
REDFIN reports dud’s in attack on AP 60 nm SW of Port Arthur.
TROUT reports 2 misses in attacks on ASW MSW group in mouth of Taipei Harbor
CROAKER reports encountering TK at co-ords 56-52 heading EAST; apparently heading for the cover of friendly air in the Bonin area. Other groups are directed to attempt intercept based on this report. CROAKER was RTB as she was out of torpedoes.
SKATE (in the only successful attack of the period) torpedoes the small (3500 ton) AK KOSHO MARU off Samar, PI; the maru was sunk and reports that her captain was a MAJOR in the US Army were denied by the Pentagon.

And here is today’s picture of the sub war in the Phillipine Sea operations area.
Most of these are two ship groups, though there are about 40% singletons still. As more SS come on line, the single groups are merged to the duals.

These are boats from both PH and Truk; PH is all GATO class that stage thru Midway while the older ‘Salmon’ and ‘Tambor’ operate from Truk, with a smattering of GATO types there. Typically, the Truk based boats will load with mines to mine the area of the Legaspi Gap that I have identified as a favorite path for TK from the DEI now; as they don’t like to traverse the Formosa straits too much with all the air search and attack that I have on or near the South China Sea. After mining, some of them will loiter in patrol mode with their remaining torpedoes. The PH/Midway based boats come thru in a stream as generally 2 boats leave PH every 2-4 days depending on the repair rates there. I only send out sub patrols that have 0-1 damage (0 preferred), and in general, the PH yards with 2 AR and 4 AS can keep about 15-20 SS cycling thru the system.
Any boat that finds itself with more than 10 or so sys heads for SF where all major SS repair work is done to keep PH at a reasonable density of repair work.

Speaking of repair, BALAO has exited the southern PI area; flooding contained now, damage 17%. Heading PH via the Phil Sea via the Marianas-Bonin gap. Hearty well done sent to her from ComSubPac. Hope to see her back on patrol in a month or so.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 11
Koepang falls; Amboina landing; July 5-11 - 2/28/2008 1:45:20 AM   
tabpub

July 5th-11th

SEAC – With the improvement of the Medan AF, attacks against Singapore are stepped up. From the 9th to the 11th, strikes are flown by B29’s from Rangoon, fighter sweeps from Medan, British carriers in the Straits 180 miles out and some level Lib and Mosquito strikes from Sabang. These attacks cause the loss of at least 40+ enemy aircraft for the loss of around 2 aircraft. The carrier bombers were able to sink a sub that was docked in the Singapore yards.
Moving up to Bangkok, where the artillery and ground strikes have been softening the target for this period. Reports of IJA AS have gone from 1570 to 1485 in this period, showing a definite weakening of the IJA position here. The Allied number has moved from 5145 to 5256 and 2 of the 3 Engineer regiments have arrived from helping finish Hue some weeks ago. Have ordered all units to bombard (rather than just the artillery recently); weather is to be PtCloudy tomorrow, so a maximum air effort has been plotted. Even 3 B29 groups from Rangoon have been given ground targets tomorrow. Two of these groups were in China a few days ago, but the operations there seemed to be straining the supply capacity of China for the moment.
In Indochina, Operation “Shoestring” continues to move along swimmingly. Camranh Bay is taken on the 11th with light casualties. These forces, the CLAV, will proceed on receiving more supplies. There is also a RAF aviation/base force combo that is set to fly in from Tavoy; but they are waiting for air transports to be available. Currently, the air transports are tied up flying the 50th Indian Para into Bien Hoa; the IJA unit there is very weak, in the shock attack, the paras only lost 30 men. The reason for this combat drop was to isolate the IJA unit to the NW; this unit repulsed an attack by 2 Chinese divisions on the 7th. Air strikes from Ubon and Krung Thep are supporting both these actions.

CHINA – 3 CAF Warhawks strafe Peking AF, one ‘Dinah’ is DOG.
Air attacks on Tientsin have rendered the oil facilities there virtually useless. At first, the CAF fighters were getting the worst of the deal, as the ‘Tonies’ here were quite good. But, US P47s are sent to Homan to even the situation. Over 6 days, 6 CAF fighters and 1 B29 are destroyed to 9 ‘Tonies’, of which 8 were shot down by the ‘Jugs’ on the 7th. Future bombing missions were flown with no fighter opposition.
Over Formosa, B25’s continue to hit Taipei from Changsha, some versus oil/resource, some on anti-shipping. IJAAF opposition is negligible now.

SWPAC – Koepang falls to the 5th Aus. ID on the 10th; the IJA remnants are now being attacked solely by the 2 armor battalions in the mop up role. The AF/Port is heavily damaged and will take some time to repair.
Amboina is invaded on the 10th; currently the infantry is still unloading. The only response to the landing so far has been 6 Betties attacking from Davao, which were shot down by the 10 CAP fighters that had wandered over from Bulla.

Elsewhere, it’s relatively quiet on the surface; mainly just re-distributing supplies, units and mopping up isolated IJA pockets. The Fiji Brigade mopped up 1000 IJ engineers stranded just NE of Lae on the 11th. Other mopping up is planned for the near future.

Commerce warfare
July 6 Dutch O19 and 20 on mining mission, encounter convoy at 22-54, off Muntok.
O19 torpedoes an AK and evades; O20 hits a TK with one torpedo, but is sunk in the counterattack.
July 7 TERRAPIN picks up that damaged AK 60 miles to the E; engages AK on surface, 3 torpedo hits and sunk.
HAKE, operating in the Sea of Japan, (64-39) engages AK on surface; 4 shell, 3 torpedoes; sunk .
July 8 SAURY torpedoes an AK 120 miles E of Tarakan.
July 9 PIPEFISH misses an MSW just off Osaka
July 10
July 11 GAR torpedoes an AP at 42-63; near Davao
Finally, GABILAN has some excitement in the Sulu Sea, 37-58. Encountering an IJN ASW group, she torpedoes IJN PC 8 twice, sinking it. Then, hits IJN Miyake with one, leaving it heavily damaged; GABILAN escapes with light damage and empty tubes.
GABILAN is sub of the week for this action and will receive citation.

In other actions, two SS were damaged by ASW actions; SEALION (off Japan) and PORPOISE (in the Makassar Strait). Both are retiring and should survive.

Future operations – An attack will go in at Bangkok in the near future. An attack is planned for one Chinese Division to soften up the resistance NW of the Bien Hoa airhead. If this fails, 3 Chindits and a tank regiment will strike again in a day or so after. Amboina landing continues, when both divisions are completely landed the first attack will begin. It will be about a week until the next major operation is ready.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 12
COMSUBPAC claims 70% of total IJ TK sunk!! - 2/29/2008 1:29:09 AM   
tabpub

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 13
Four month battle for Bangkok over!!!!! - 3/3/2008 12:50:36 PM   
tabpub

July 15, 1944

Four months ago, the battle for Bangkok began when the city was invested by the British 12th Army; on the 13th, the IJA forces here were pushed out of the majority of the city area finally, and have been reduced to a pocket in the SE area of the metropolitan environs. Heavy use of artillery and air support was used to render the defenders supply and senseless; thereby keeping losses among the attacking infantry and armor to a minimum.
The results for the cracking of Bangkokograd:

07/13/44
Ground combat at Bangkok
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 201097 troops, 1510 guns, 1051 vehicles, Assault Value = 5258
Defending force 62234 troops, 187 guns, 440 vehicles, Assault Value = 1463
Allied max assault: 5241 - adjusted assault: 4313
Japanese max defense: 1146 - adjusted defense: 299
Allied assault odds: 14 to 1 (fort level 7)
Allied forces CAPTURE Bangkok base !!!
Japanese ground losses:
3005 casualties reported
Guns lost 19
Vehicles lost 5
Allied ground losses:
7639 casualties reported
Guns lost 264
Vehicles lost 13

The units of the 3 corps involved are now resting in their newly won perimeter, while the artillery continues to pound the IJA positions. After resting, the bulk of the Anglo-Indian forces move on to free Malaya, leaving the SEAC Chinese to garrison the Indochina area with some backing from SEAC troops. The main force corps of the Nationalists will rest and re-arm here before moving back to China; there, they will either help in the quest for Hong Kong, or move onto other operations.

Speaking of Indochina, the campaign to secure Saigon is coming to a close. At Bien Hoa, the IJA never attempted to attack the airhead of the 50th Indian Para; on the 12th, the Chinese 55th ID attacked the IJA unit on the road to the west of BH, forcing it into the jungle to the North. They are moving after them; meanwhile, the rest of the command is now at BH and will attack the IJ unit there. Then onto Saigon, where the CLAV units are driving the IJA from Camrahn Bay to as we speak. This should be wrapped up in less than 7 days time, barring some unforeseen resistance of the Saigon garrison.

The only other action of note in this area have been B29 and F/B attacks against the supply dumps at Kuala Lumpur; these have reduced them to about ½ of their nominal amounts. These will continue for the near future.

CHINA

Many sorties of B24, 25 and 29s hit the supply centers of Taipei, generating over 130 hits during this 4 day period. Crews are extremely tired and are standing down for the time being.
The only other air action of note was on the 13th; P40Ns from Canton show their teeth a bit, strafing a small convoy 60 miles off San Marcellino, PI. 2 bomb hits reported on two AKs; one strafed in addition and on fire.

NEW GUINEA

Sansapor taken on the 14th versus no opposition; all of the Vogelkop bases in Allied control.
Amboina taken on the 15th with very light losses; the 10,000 IJA troops there put up no credible defense against the I Corps attack (32nd and 41st ID, 2 armor batts and mucho artillery).

07/15/44
Ground combat at Amboina
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 42624 troops, 523 guns, 221 vehicles, Assault Value = 900
Defending force 10288 troops, 16 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 100
Allied max assault: 924 - adjusted assault: 2416
Japanese max defense: 61 - adjusted defense: 9
Allied assault odds: 268 to 1 (fort level 9)
Allied forces CAPTURE Amboina base !!!
Japanese ground losses:
952 casualties reported
Guns lost 4
Allied ground losses:
134 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Enemy shipping detected off Morotai; all available air tasked to hit shipping an airfield there.
Koepang mopping up continues.

COMMERCE OPERATIONS

July 12 – TAMBOR misses a TK in a large convoy 180 miles E of Tarakan; presumed heading Sulu Sea
APOGON encounters ASW group in Sulu Sea; lightly damaged (11%) and is retiring Truk.
July 13 – STEELHEAD engages an AK off SW tip of Korea; leaves it on fire, but retires with damage from gunfire.

July 14 – TRIDENT misses two ML off Surabaya
SNOOK dc’d off Iwo Jima; light damage, maintain patrol to Marianas

July 15 – RAZORBACK, transiting the Philippine Sea at 57-54, encounters an AO and DD; one torpedo hit reported. Target on fire, but sub held down by DD Yukikaze and AO evades area. Neighboring subs vectored on it.
SEAHORSE misses AP at 52-51, the middle of “Empire Route One” area. Convoy reported heading NE, This and other SS in area conform to intercept routes.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 14
Action in Celebes area intensifies - 3/4/2008 12:48:14 PM   
tabpub

July 16, 1944

SEAC
3 ‘Lily’ type bombers shot down over Medan. No loss.

26 Libs hit Kuala Lumpur; 1 lost to flak 12 hits on the target. Reported 47% out of action resource units. This target should have been hit earlier, but the Bangkok bombing had my attention.

Usual bombing and shelling at Bangkok; 200 IJA casualties reported.

Bien Hoa is attacked by 2 F/B squadrons; then an attack by a single Chinese division is repelled due to the fortifications there. Forts were reduced and the attackers only lost 10 men; a reinforced attack is set for tomorrow.

Intelligence reports the mining of an AP in Palembang Estuary; she is burning quite brightly.

CHINA
an IJN MSW is strafed by 3 CAF B25s off Taipei; no apparent damage.

Japanese planes are seen over our lines in Northern China for the first time in months (other than recon). We now know why……
Over the skies of Homan, 10 ‘Sonia’ DB show up from Kaifeng; they are shot down by the 52 fighters on patrol. Later that morning, 33 “Tony’ fighters escort some 44 ‘Frances’ and 14 late model ‘Betty’ bombers. In the ensuing melee, 27 of the 33 ‘Tonies’ are shot down; then 33 of 44 ‘Frances’ and 12 of 14 ‘Betty’ are downed to a combination of fighters and flak. Only 3 of the bombers were able to reach the field to strafe. 1 P40N was destroyed, with 4 more damaged; additionally 11 47Cs were damaged also.

SOPAC
Wewak bombed by TBM squadron, no losses

Hollandia bombed lightly, no losses

IJN land-based torpedo bombers try to hit BB’s MARYLAND AND WEST VIRGINIA in Sarmi harbor. The CAP is light, only 21 fighters; so of a total of 15 ‘Frances’ and 5 ‘Betty’ bombers, 5 and 1 survive the flak and fighter attacks. No hits on ships, nor lost planes.

23 ‘Oscar’ from Wasile attempt to Kamikaze shipping off Bulla; 16 CAP fighter shoot down over ½, about 11 dive on an AP and AK, missing from extreme height.

Kendari strafed by 13 B-fighters; one ‘Dinah’ destroyed, no loss

Japanese shipping off Morotai and AF there are struck; here is the unabridged version:

07/16/44
Day Air attack on Morotai , at 43,68
Japanese aircraft
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 29
Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 46
B-25J Mitchell x 16
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 13 destroyed, 1 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
P-40N Warhawk: 1 destroyed
B-25J Mitchell: 6 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported
Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 11
Aircraft Attacking:
16 x B-25J Mitchell bombing at 5000 feet
07/16/44
Day Air attack on Morotai , at 43,68
Japanese aircraft
Ki-84-Ia Frank x 17
Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 59
F-5C Lightning x 1
B-24J Liberator x 32
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-84-Ia Frank: 3 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 1 destroyed
B-24J Liberator: 6 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
63 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 24
Aircraft Attacking:
20 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
12 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
07/16/44
Day Air attack on TF, near Morotai at 43,68
Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 60
B-24D Liberator x 30
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AK Taki Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Daiju Maru
AV Kimikawa Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Kiri Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Sakido Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Nansin Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Tekkai Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Koshin Maru
Japanese ground losses:
58 casualties reported
Guns lost 5
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 9000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 9000 feet
07/16/44
Allied aircraft
PB4Y Liberator x 6
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AK Daiju Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Kitahuku Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 4000 feet
3 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 4000 feet

Japanese radio speaks of a division landing there in spite of these attacks. Amboina AF is fully operational as is Sorong. Ground crews are flying in to both AF’s; fresh attack bombers are flown in to AF maximum capacity. Noemfoor and Biak AF’s are also alerted. Maximum effort against naval targets tomorrow off Morotai.

COMMERCE WARFARE

CREVALLE, 180 mi. SW of Iwo Jima avoids two ASW groups. Then encounters AO group. Misses AO and is heavily DC’d; she is leaving the area ¾ flotation gone on battery power. Hopes to make Wake Island.

RAZORBACK, at 54-52, encounters another AK while crossing the Philippine Sea and torpedoes it once. Forced down by escort though and could not complete the kill.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 15
Major IJ convoy hit off Morotai; losses large - 3/5/2008 12:14:18 PM   
tabpub

July 17, 1944

The situation in the Halamhera (Morotai) area is heating up quickly, so we go there first:

SW/South/Central Pacific Area:

As was mentioned before, with the detection of shipping off Morotai, all airfields within range were filled to capacity with strike and escort aircraft. Weather was predicted as rain, but the weather was clear over Morotai, and recon/search planes detected large numbers of ships off the anchorage. Here were the results:

07/17/44
Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 38
P-38J Lightning x 49
P-47D Thunderbolt x 12
A-20G Havoc x 80
B-24D Liberator x 35
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AK Delagoa Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire
AP Kembu Maru, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Brisbane Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Ryuzin Maru
AP Koshin Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Hamburg Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bengal Maru, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PC Wakamiya, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Teiun Maru, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kiri Maru, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Natsukawa Maru, Shell hits 4
AK France Maru, on fire
AP Sakido Maru, Bomb hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kumagawa Maru, Shell hits 8
AK Sagami Maru, Shell hits 16, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Nitiryu Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Nansin Maru, Bomb hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Taki Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
1 x A-20G Havoc bombing at 5000 feet
3 x P-40N Warhawk attacking at 100 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
07/17/44
Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 9
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 13
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AP Kiri Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Brisbane Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Nansin Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kembu Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Beaufighter Mk 21 bombing at 2000 feet
07/17/44
Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 22
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AP Teiun Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Kitahuku Maru, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
AK Nagisan Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
PC Wakamiya, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Sakido Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
07/17/44
Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 3
P-38J Lightning x 4
P-47D Thunderbolt x 21
A-20G Havoc x 72
B-24D Liberator x 30
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AK Nagisan Maru, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AK England Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Kiri Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Teiun Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Delagoa Maru, Shell hits 4, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Sakido Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PC Wakamiya, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bengal Maru, Bomb hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
AK Hamburg Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK France Maru, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
AK Brisbane Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kaiko Maru
AP Kumagawa Maru
AK Taki Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kembu Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Nansin Maru, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x A-20G Havoc bombing at 5000 feet
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
3 x P-40N Warhawk attacking at 100 feet
07/17/44
Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 4
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AK Brisbane Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24J Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
07/17/44
Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 19
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
AP Kaiko Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kembu Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AK England Maru, on fire
AK Delagoa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
Just left representative examples of a/c attack altitude to shorten report

End of day estimates were about 10 to 15 ships down as the reports came in.
Evidently, there was some sort of mixup, weather or airfield closure that had no fighters over this concentration of shipping; especially as there were fighters over it yesterday. For whatever reason, this is a major blow to shipping capacity; not just in the area, but overall for the IJN.

Elsewhere, most of the former garrison of Amboina is eliminated today, with 7000 casualties; expect that mopping up to wrap up in a day or so.
Kendari strafed by 20+ Beaus; no loss, no significant damage.
Light skirmishing at Koepang; losses 29 vs. 200+ IJA.

SEAC

10 ‘Oscar” type from Georgetown fly against Medan PT patrol; 44 Spitfires shoot them down before reaching the area.

28 Lib J’s bomb Kuala Lumpur from the 7th BG; 11 more hits are recorded. The group is tired and only putting up ½ its planes; stood down and replaced with a British Lib VI squadron for tomorrow.

Light bombing and shelling of IJA Bangkok perimeter.

At Bien Hoa, the 50th Para is added to the Chinese division attacking the rump of the IJA 5th Division; they are unable to achieve a breakthrough, but do reduce the defenders entrenchments to the lowest value; the defenders here are basically lying about in scraped out holes on the airstrip. The armored units have arrived and will go right into the attack. Remainder of infantry not committed, as it is waiting for the push on Saigon afterwards.

Stillwell and two Chinese corps are pressing down from Camrahn Bay tomorrow; it’s reminiscent of Patton and Monty racing for Messina in Sicily.

CHINA

Quiet in China, though buildup of IJ air strength reported at forward airfields that haven’t seen a plane in months. Not sure what is up here as of yet; no increase of land commitment seen as of yet.
Only one IJ airstrike; it is on Homan AF as yesterday, but is only flown from Peking this time. Yesterdays was a combined effort from there and Tienstin AF.
8 ‘Tonies’ escort 17 “Frances’ & ‘Betty’; 31 P40N/47C down 4,7 and 2 respectively for no loss. The rest of strike turns back to Peking paddy hopping down low.

COMMERCE WARFARE

West of the Balabac Strait, which connects the South China and Sulu seas, the Dutch K 14 encounters an AK and MSW, but miss the attack at 36-55.

But, her sister, K 17, finds the same ships at 35-55; torpedoes the AK FUKI MARU, evades the escort and strikes the maru again, sinking her.

STERLET, just north of Kadina, Okinawa, puts one fish in AP MIKAGE #2. She breaks off action from escort and air search.

FLIER, working on estimate of course of the AO group yesterday, finds AO TEIKON at 63-50, 180 nm north of Iwo Jima. Penetrates a screen of 3 modern PC types and strikes home with 2 torpedoes; the AO rapidly burns and then sinks. The PCs shake her up in the counterattack, but she should maintain patrol duties.

TINOSA reports 2 MSW 180 nm south of Kagoshima, Japan; no damage.

Philippine resistance reports a PC (later identified as Ch 4) mined in the Gulf of Davao as she was entering the harbor area; she later sank.

Luzon guerrillas report PCs clearing mines off Legaspi, PI. Presume convoy transiting area; subs off Luzon on patrol expect contact tomorrow if so.

MAP OF THE HALAHAMERA AREA OF OPERATIONS

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 16
Amboina secured; normal bombing activity - 3/10/2008 9:31:27 AM   
tabpub

July 19, 1944

No major actions over the last two days theater wide. A synopsis of the action follows in each area of operations.

SEAC

18th:
3 ‘Oscars’ are shot down over Medan; no loss
3 Lib VI sortie to Kuala Lumpur; 1 hit achieved
20 F/B sortie on ground attacks at Bien Hoa to assist ground attack
Attack at Bien Hoa succeeds with only 4 casualties; IJA retreats on Saigon, uncommitted armor and infantry are then ordered on the road to Saigon.
South of Camrahn Bay, 2 Chinese Corps bludgeon the defenders again, pushing them to the Saigon outskirts.
19th:
2 F/B missions to Georgetown; 4 ‘Oscars’ destroyed on ground; no losses
46 F & F/B strike retreating IJA units north of Saigon (32-46)

Over both days, indications are that situation in Bangkok will soon be right for another attack in the near future. Hopefully, Saigon will be invested or taken before any attack here.

CHINA:

18th:
40+ B25 and 28 B29 hit Kaifeng AF; medium heavy damage to AF, at least 6 ‘Ida’ DOG
Homan is attacked by small raids of 3 ‘Sonia’ and 5 ‘Oscar’; all shot down with no loss

19th:
100 Med and VH bombers hit Wuhan AF; medium damage to AF, 1 B25 lost

NEI/Halamhera area:

18th:
Ground resistance at Amboina is ended.
8 ‘Betties’ try to hit shipping at Bulla in two strikes; no ships attacked, 6 shot down for no loss
4 ‘Jake’ try to attack shipping at Sansapor; 25 fighters, mainly Corsair shoot down 3; the other is shot down by flak.
30 Beaufighters strafe Macassar; 2 ‘Betty’ DOG
2 Beaufighters strafe Kendar; DOG 1 ‘Sonia’
Menado hit by B24 (21) and Bfighter (9); destroy 2 ‘Betty’.
1 ‘Oscar’ DOG at Wasile by B24 strike
6 freighters found 60 nm NW of Morotai; they are struck by a total of 121 bomber/fighter-bomber sorties. All are left burning and are claimed as sunk.

19th:

Over the two days, armor attacks have caused over 350 casualties for 1/10th that # in
return at Koepang.

Menado struck by 18 B24 and 24 A20; 2 Betty DOG
1 ‘Oscar’ DOG at Wasile by P40N bombing

Over two days 54 bomber sorties hit Morotai; 3 DOG for one B25 loss

2 of the freighters from yesterdays strike did survive and are struck by 31 P40N; heavily hit, we hope these stay sunk…..

COMMERCE WARFARE:

18th

IJ MIKAGE #2, hit yesterday, is finished by LANCETFISH at 56-43, just south of Kyushu.
At 57-42, just NE of LANCETFISH, BAYA encounters 2 ML; she misses the ML, no damage

RAZORBACK loses her hot hand, being lightly DC’d at 58-47; sighted 9 escort type, including 2 ML type.

PICUDA DC’d by PC/MSW off Samar 46-56; no damage.

19th

JALLAO picks out a small TK from a heavily escorted convoy, hitting the HAKKO twice; no damage. She then returns to finish the burning hulk afterward with a 4 fish spread. The CO is to be reprimanded for overkill on the second attack. Attack was at 55,50.

TRUCULENT encounters an escorted convoy at 25,54; 240 nm SE of Singapore. She torpedoes it once, but is heavily hit by DCs and is retiring to Rangoon.

Today's chart is the status of damaged shipping in the West Coast and Pearl Harbor repairyards:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 17
Singapore re-captured; IJA Malay Army surrounded - 8/19/2008 10:19:13 PM   
tabpub

Hi to anyone that picks this up again.....

After a long lax period, I pickup the documentation on this campaign again.

The current campaign date is Oct 13, 1944.

Since the last posting of combat in July, the following things have happened over the 3 months.
Aleutians - nothing...virtually nothing. The forces here have just been waiting to see if need or opportunity have arisen to start attacking the Northern Kuriles. It has not seemed necessary to do at this time; so about 3 Divisions worth of troops do garrison duty here.

Central Pacific - Woleai and then just recently Ulithi have been taken. This should be all for that front. These bases cover communication lines along New Guinea and impair IJN sea supply of Marianas and the remainder of the Carolines (Palau).

South/Southwest Pacific - All the action was here during this time. The IJ reinforced Morotai heavily, so it has been neutralized by air; Wasile and then Menado were taken to provide air bases for the next landing.....Dadjangas on Sep 24.
Dadjangas was secured on the 28th; some 8 Divisions were utilized in this attack, the IJA had about 2 divisions present. Large IJA formations are at Cotabato and Davao; the leading corps has pressed on 60 miles NW of Dadjangas to date.
In the meantime, Americal Division took Zamboanga on the 2nd of October; and Jolo fell to the 3rd MarDiv on the 9th of October.
These 3 airfields will enable some 7-800 a/c to operate against the southern/mid PI for future operations.

SEAC - has virtually finished it's campaign. After the reduction of the Bangkok garrison, attention was put on the Malay campaign. Approximately 4 divisions moved from Bandou to engage the IJA at Songkhia, followed by a 3 division landing at Georgetown. The bulk of the IJA Malay Army moved from Kuala Lumpur to engage the Georgetown landing, which barely held against the counter-attack. Then, a 2nd landing at Kuala was performed by about 2 divisions worth of troops which secured it. The position at Songkhia was forced; mainly due to an airborne landing at Alor Star by the 50th Indian Para (reinforced by airlanding the 2nd UKDiv over 2 days with the some 300 transport planes in theatre and air supplied by B29's out of Rangoon). The IJA Malay Army tried to manuever from Georgetown, but upon reaching Taiping (just SE of Georgetown) it was engaged and trapped in place. 2 newly arrived divisons then reinforced the Kuala landing force which had moved south to Singapore and have taken the base from the large group of support base units that were there on the 11th of October; they are now reducing the trapped garrison. The Taiping Pocket has seen the change in combat value change from 1 to 1 in mid September to 2.5 to 1 now; another attack will be mounted soon to start crumbling it down.

China - The reduction of Bangkok and the capture of the rest of Indochina as freed many Nationalist units that were used for this; the last is now arriving in the country, along with some smaller SEAC units not needed to finish the Malay campaign (Chindits, some base forces and 2-3 armored regiments). The Chinese have pulled back from Hong Kong island and are content to hold Canton; the former Canton garrison switched planning to Amoy some time ago and with the newly arrived units from Indochina are pushing down the coast. They have just arrived at Amoy recently and are beginning to start the attack against the some 50k IJA that hold it. Swatow was taken at no loss on the way to Amoy and is now a forward airbase for the 14th AF. The IJA garrisons of Hsingyang and Kaifeng are either surrounded or about to be by light Chinese forces.

20th AF is now 8 groups strong; 4 operate from Changsha against the HI, while 4 R&R at Chungking awaiting rotation to Changsha. Day operations were attempted, but as the IJAAF has deployed MANY fighters to home defense, the 20th is content with night area bombing from 10k feet. About 1 mission is flown every 3-4 days currently; most groups fly about 4-5 missions and then rotate to the rear.

Commerce operations - are virtually nil now. With the constriction of his sea lanes by air bases in Indochina and southern PI/Celebes, no shipping has been seen here in some months of any note. With Singapore taken, the Brit/Dutch SS will move their base there and take over the interdiction of PI, while US SS will re-deploy to interdict the Yellow and Sea of Japan. Truk based subs will interdict Marianas area.

Plans - SEAC will now start shipping supply directly to the Chinese front via the South China Sea. American forces will strive to tighten the air grip on this area in concert with the SEAC/Chinese based forces.

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 18
A spanner in the works..... - 8/23/2008 8:19:59 PM   
tabpub

_

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 19
Tightening the noose - 12/2/2008 10:00:00 PM   
tabpub

around the Empire. Here is a map of the situation at this time, mid Dec '44.
Pescadores taken by storm 2 days ago by the 6th US Division.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 20
5 Battleships accounted for - 12/2/2008 10:06:53 PM   
tabpub

Here is a small segment of the fighting in Formosan/Okinawan waters.
Over the period of 3-4 days, thousands of sorties were made from land bases in China and approximately 12-15 American CV/CVL and 5 English CV versus AF, transports off Okinawa and IJN surface units. IJN losses were staggering, as the IJA fighters could not keep the strikes from hitting home. IJA strike a/c were also attrited heavily; though, two KAMIKAZE did strike 2 carriers, which were moderately damaged and retired while still operating a/c (damage was around 25-30 on each).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 21
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/3/2008 8:41:28 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Over the period of 3-4 days, thousands of sorties were made from land bases in China and approximately 12-15 American CV/CVL and 5 English CV versus AF, transports off Okinawa and IJN surface units. IJN losses were staggering, as the IJA fighters could not keep the strikes from hitting home.

Spectacular! What was the damage to the RN cruisers?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 22
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/5/2008 10:50:27 PM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Over the period of 3-4 days, thousands of sorties were made from land bases in China and approximately 12-15 American CV/CVL and 5 English CV versus AF, transports off Okinawa and IJN surface units. IJN losses were staggering, as the IJA fighters could not keep the strikes from hitting home.

Spectacular! What was the damage to the RN cruisers?

CL Dragon is a hulk in Swatow harbor (98/56); will probably remain there for the duration
CA Suffolk and DD Grenville are in the 60's for SYS and 20's for FLT; when pumped out, will transfer to either Camrahn Bay or Singapore for repair, but will likely miss the end of hostilities also.
The only loss that I can see was the Dutch DD Tjerk Hiddes; I don't remember any others.
Losses have been greater at the landings at Takao that I have just done and will report on later this weekend. 3 Divisions are ashore, but 2 DD were sunk by 8" CD fire; at least 4-5 LST will probably sink soon and 2 AP are in a hard way right now with fires aboard.

Here is the total reports that I have for the fighting around Swatow. In the end, it was evident that the IJ ships had used most of their ammo up; in the final engagement, the English ships closed to under 10000 yds (perhaps as close as 5k, I don't recall for sure) in a long daylight shooting spree. The air attacks must have drained the light guns of most of their ammo; plus the damage to the upperworks of the heavy ships.
Report follows:

Losses during the fighting:

Canton: DD Meredith, while escorting Alabama vs. IJN Mikuma, Kinugasa and escorts. All Japs sunk; Alabama 1 torpedo hit, retires to Canton harbor

Outside Canton: 7 MSW to Mikuma force the night before Canton action.

Swatow:

Day Air attack on TF, near Swatow at 46,42
Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt II x 2
Mosquito FB.VI x 14
P-40N Warhawk x 47
P-38J Lightning x 43
A-20G Havoc x 32
B-25J Mitchell x 40
B-24J Liberator x 2
Allied aircraft losses
Mosquito FB.VI: 1 damaged
Japanese Ships
DD Makigumo, Shell hits 20, Bomb hits 1, on fire
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 4, on fire
CA Mogami, Shell hits 8, Bomb hits 1
CA Tone, Shell hits 12, Bomb hits 1
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Yugumo, Shell hits 20

Hellcat II x 23
Corsair IV x 5
Firefly x 11
Barracuda x 28
Avenger II x 5
B-24J Liberator x 13
No Allied losses
Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Makigumo, on fire

F6F Hellcat x 19
SB2C Helldiver x 28
TBM Avenger x 14
Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 3 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima, on fire, heavy damage
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CA Tone, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Yugumo

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 6
Allied aircraft
P-40N Warhawk x 35
P-38J Lightning x 58
A-20G Havoc x 55
B-25J Mitchell x 46
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 5 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
A-20G Havoc: 12 damaged
B-25J Mitchell: 1 destroyed, 15 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Yamato, Bomb hits 10, on fire
BB Musashi, Bomb hits 3, on fire

P-38J Lightning x 31
PB4Y Liberator x 3
B-24J Liberator x 17
Allied aircraft losses
PB4Y Liberator: 3 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed, 8 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 5, on fire
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 2

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 2
Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt II x 5
A-20G Havoc x 18
B-25J Mitchell x 38
B-24J Liberator x 16
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
A-20G Havoc: 2 damaged
B-25J Mitchell: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 4 damaged
Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 1
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 7, on fire
CA Tone

Allied aircraft
PB4Y Liberator x 15
B-24J Liberator x 69
Allied aircraft losses
PB4Y Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 15, on fire
BB Haruna, Bomb hits 5, on fire
CA Mogami
DD Teruzuki
CL Abukuma, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Day Time Surface Combat, near Swatow at 46,42
Japanese Ships
BB Yamato, Shell hits 6, on fire
BB Musashi, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Amatsukaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Yamakaze, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hibiki, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Usugumo
DD Sagiri, Shell hits 1
DD Ushio
DD Numakaze, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
Allied Ships
CA Suffolk, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
CL Dragon, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
CL Durban, Shell hits 3
DD Le Triomphant, Shell hits 2
DD Van Galen
DD Tjerk Hiddes, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Ulysses, Shell hits 1
DD Undaunted
DD Undine, Shell hits 1, on fire

Japanese Ships
BB Yamato, on fire, heavy damage
BB Musashi, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Amatsukaze, on fire
DD Hibiki, and is sunk
DD Usugumo
DD Sagiri
DD Ushio
Allied Ships
CL Kenya
CL Swiftsure
CLAA Capetown
CLAA Van Heemskerck
DD Relentless
DD Rocket
DD Saumarez
DD Grenville, Shell hits 1, on fire

Japanese Ships
BB Yamato, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Musashi, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Amatsukaze, on fire
DD Usugumo
DD Sagiri
DD Ushio
Allied Ships
CL Kenya, Shell hits 1
CL Swiftsure, Shell hits 1
CLAA Capetown
CLAA Van Heemskerck, Shell hits 1
DD Relentless
DD Rocket
DD Saumarez
DD Grenville, on fire

Japanese aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
F1M2 Pete: 3 destroyed
Japanese Ships
BB Yamato, Shell hits 25, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Musashi, Shell hits 29, and is sunk
DD Amatsukaze, Shell hits 18, on fire, heavy damage
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 13, on fire, heavy damage
DD Sagiri
DD Ushio, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Allied Ships
CL Kenya
CL Swiftsure
CLAA Capetown, Shell hits 2
CLAA Van Heemskerck, Shell hits 1
DD Relentless, Shell hits 3
DD Rocket
DD Saumarez, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Grenville, on fire, heavy damage

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 23
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/6/2008 11:05:52 PM   
Capt. Harlock

CLAA's against Yamato and Musashi??

The entire IJN high command is probably contemplating seppuku . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 24
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 12:27:17 AM   
Nemo121

Ouch, that's a disastrous series of battles. It looks like the CAs caused damage and then the fires spread and pretty much doomed the IJN BBs. Its a damned embarassing outcome though.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 25
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 1:16:18 AM   
1275psi

Ummmmmmmmmm, maybe before expressing quotes like -thtas embarressing one should examine both sides of the battle and gain a little perspective of the circumstances........

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 26
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 2:01:22 AM   
Nemo121

1275psi,

Ok, so how WOULD you describe the loss of IJN battleline units to an inferior force on the background of Allied landings on Formosa ( which don't appear to have been repelled by the committment and loss of the IJN battleline or the IJA and IJN aerial fleets. sure the Allies suffered loss but there's no indication here that the results justified the expenditure either purely attritionally or strategically.

So, if not disastrous then what?

There's no personal component to my comment but ANYTIME I see 2 Yamato class BBs being sunk in action against a force which doesn't even contain BBs and, in being sunk, failing to achieve anything of strategic value then, yeah, that is disastrous. Does it make you a bad player? No, not at all. We ALL make mistakes ---- in one of my games I've just had over 100 planes torched on the ground by enemy airstrikes --- but there's no point pretending something wasn't disastrous when it, clearly, was. Did you have many other good options, no. Do you deserve respect for playing on to the bitter end? Absolutely. But was the last series of battles anything but a series loss for you? No, it really wasn't.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 12/7/2008 2:05:55 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 27
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 2:17:03 AM   
1275psi

yamato, mushia had been hit by some 18 2000 lb bombs between them before the engagement..................might have had something to do with it

yes - it looked , and was disatorous -but it was worth a shot -
it was fun, and if the game mechanics had reflected real life - my BBs would have intercepted his CVs and or his invasion fleet - in real life you dont have to finish in precisely the right hex!

In no way am I embarressed by having a go. As japan in late 44, Im entitled to pick how Ill go down............

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 28
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 8:27:20 AM   
1275psi

last comment on this crud

Not shown anywhere in the AAR - but the key to it all - in the face of overwhelming airpower, sea power, a complete armoured div -the 2nd tank -was landed at Okiwana with out loss in this battle - with this now being invaded, that means a lot.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 29
RE: 5 Battleships accounted for - 12/7/2008 10:21:18 AM   
Nemo121

1275psi,
I think you are the only person here focussed on being embarrassed. You tried something, it didn't work and it failed badly. In my world that's nothing to be embarrassed about, that's just what happens in real war and wargames which model such real wars.

Ok, you'll hold Okinawa.... But your ability to intercede meaningfully in any future Allied invasions is now gone, forever. It may well have been worth it, but it may not have been worth it.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Dec '44 -ENDGAME- IJN Battleline committed to Formosa waters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI