Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/21/2007 3:13:59 AM   
Nukester

Just to expand a little on what I said above, the ratings are randomly asigned to the players, so for historical purposes it may not work out the way you'd like since a player like, say Cobb, could come in with an extemely low work ethic, which of course would not be realistic. Some folks may like to see that extra bit of randomness. Is it editable ? Sure, but who wants to go through and edit all that crap ? Now, for fictionals, I see the personality ratings could work

< Message edited by Nukester -- 11/21/2007 3:17:11 AM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 31
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/22/2007 6:29:44 AM   
JoeRockhead

I would like to see the option to import real major league history.
That would be of course up to the point you start your league.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 32
Importing real history... - 11/23/2007 3:35:06 PM   
Walewander

Yeah, that would eb areally cool thing to see. It would be cool to have the career records in tact so that if you started in, say, 2003... Maybe Barry Bonds doesn't break the home run record. I can't imagine the work that would go in to make something like this work, but if this feature were added it would add so much in terms of making the game and reality come together. Total immersion, yikes. To look at someone's player card and see their career totals - real life up until the point that the association started + simmed seasons - would just be really cool. I have actually been doing this, mentally...

I'd also like to see the option of contraction come into play.

Lots of ideas here but if nothing else were ever changed, I'd still play the game forever.

(in reply to JoeRockhead)
Post #: 33
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/26/2007 3:39:52 AM   
GNDN

My two cents:

I am an old High Heat player and they have one feature I would love to see: the bullpen warm up meter.

HH had a "real time" fatigue meter for its pitchers. Press a button and you would see your (or their) pitcher's current fatigue on a bar. Blue was good, yellow was getting tired, red was tired, and an empty bar was gassed.

Also, if you started warming a pitcher up in the bullpen, you would get a bar indicating how close they were to warmed up. Bring a RP in before he was warm and he was less effective and more prone to injury.

The bullpen ready meter also added a measure of strategy to a game: how soon do you start warming up a guy? Suppose you think your starter can go another inning but starts getting knocked around. Now, it will take a couple of batters to get him out of there and your tension level mounts. Oh God, please, just don't give up the 3 run dinger before I can get you out of there.....

You would also need to add some kind of manager mound visit functionality since stalling for time plays a part in bullpen strategy. Too bad HH could not get that feature to work.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 34
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/26/2007 4:56:29 AM   
KG Erwin

You know what? In managed games, the pitchers' effectiveness is modeled very well, IMHO. All you gotta do is monitor your pitcher's pitch count and speed. Given that I play in a past era, I like the idea of a guy getting a CG. A save is truly earned -- it shouldn't be expected.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 11/26/2007 5:03:00 AM >

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 35
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/26/2007 5:58:12 AM   
GNDN

KG,

I agree, it is modelled very well and have no issue with it. However, right now it is a no-brainer as to when to bring in a reliever. You just drop him in whenever.

What I miss is that dreaded gray area where you cross your fingers and hope your current pitcher makes it until your reliever is warmed up. You know what I mean, when the pitching coach seems to have the bullpen phone as a growth on his ear asking "Is he ready yet?" over and over again.....

I manage all my games and miss that particular feeling in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 36
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/26/2007 7:41:46 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: GNDN

KG,

I agree, it is modelled very well and have no issue with it. However, right now it is a no-brainer as to when to bring in a reliever. You just drop him in whenever.

What I miss is that dreaded gray area where you cross your fingers and hope your current pitcher makes it until your reliever is warmed up. You know what I mean, when the pitching coach seems to have the bullpen phone as a growth on his ear asking "Is he ready yet?" over and over again.....

I manage all my games and miss that particular feeling in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings.

I don't agree. The necessity to warm up a reliever is missing, but it would add unnecessary complications to the game.

So, how would Shaun implement this? A "warmup" button? Now, this could get tricky, as a player could always keep a reliever ready to go. Think about this. A penalty on a reliever's effectiveness would have to be established IF he didn't enter the game after the inning in which he was readied.

No, this isn't appropriate. The implication of readiness is built into the game. Since we don't do pitch-by-pitch, there's time compression built in. This includes those warm-up pitches for relievers in the bullpen.

I have no desire for this game to get dragged down into minutiae, no matter how tempting it might be.

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 37
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/26/2007 11:13:29 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

I know I already mentioned this in a previous post here but I'm going to repost it anyway, seeing at how much difficulty I went through just two minutes ago to find someone.

A traditional SEARCH button for players- type the name and up they come. That would be nice.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 38
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/27/2007 1:59:03 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

I know I already mentioned this in a previous post here but I'm going to repost it anyway, seeing at how much difficulty I went through just two minutes ago to find someone.

A traditional SEARCH button for players- type the name and up they come. That would be nice.

Totally agree. :)

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 39
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/27/2007 7:30:21 PM   
GNDN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

I know I've mentioned this before, but for the sake of keeping it all together, I would love to see a way to rename associations.

Couldn't you manually re-name the psa and psx files? I have not tried for fear of wrecking my association.

Post #: 40
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/27/2007 8:43:13 PM   
Bustoff

You can do that, GNDN, but there's a bit more to it. You have to open the PSA file and rename the association by changing the WorldName value in the World table. Not hugely difficult even if you don't know your way around MS Access, but any time you dink with a database there is always a slight risk of something bad happening. I think F. Stiffer is looking for something automatic, like a "Rename Association" button.

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 41
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/27/2007 10:59:52 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

I think F. Stiffer is looking for something automatic, like a "Rename Association" button.

Bingo.

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 42
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/29/2007 9:40:21 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Another request...

The option of signing a player to a contract term longer than 5 years.

Post #: 43
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 4:15:52 AM   
throttle8

I'd love to see the game automatically change ball park pics to the respective park that the game is being played at instead of the current setup up of having just one "stock" picture for all parks.

(in reply to Walewander)
Post #: 44
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 6:13:22 AM   
DonBraswell

The game does automatically change ball park pictures if you assign each team a picture and configure them using PSPN ball park configure in each team page.
Don

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 45
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:30:55 AM   
throttle8

Thanks!!!I didn't know that.

Who's got links to good ball park pics?

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 46
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:37:32 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: throttle8

Thanks!!!I didn't know that.

Who's got links to good ball park pics?

All you need are right here: http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/PureSimMods/Ballparks.html

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 47
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:39:58 AM   
throttle8

So I have to do is assign each team a certain field pic & that its?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 48
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:51:55 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

So I have to do is assign each team a certain field pic & that its?

Here's what you do: for each team's Front Page, you select "ballpark". This takes you to another screen, in which you select a ballpark replacement from a given directory. You click on the park of your choice, (these are called .prk files) and there you are.

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 49
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:59:55 AM   
throttle8

Is there a way to see what the pics look like, without loading them into the game?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 50
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 5:56:15 PM   
throttle8

I guess I'm not describing what I was originally trying to get across.

I would like to see the ball park pictures (what you see when you manage a game) automatically change to what ever ball bark the game is being played at; not just having one ball park picture for all games.

I believe as of right now, if you want to change the picture of the field, you also have to reconfigure each & every ball location so it will be lined up properly with the picture.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 51
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 6:18:56 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

throttle,

You described it correctly and KG's instructions will help you accomplish what you described.

If you're running a real association for example and want real parks, then you need to do as he instructed. It's a little bit of work as you have to go into each team's Ball Park page and Import the appropriate park, but it's so much better when you want accuracy and realism. Fortunately, you only have to do this ONCE for that association. After you have chosen a park for them, whenever you play that team at their park, it will show the one you chose. If you're playing at Boston, you will be in Fenway; if you are playing at Miami, you will be in Dolphin Stadium-- the game will do this automatically.

Now, as far as setting the dimensions (what you're calling ball location) go, you only have to define them if you're "creating" the park from scratch. When you download the park pack and import each and every park, it will already have a picture and it will already have the dimensions. Other than importing the park you do not need to do anything; it does it all for you.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 11/30/2007 6:22:37 PM >

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 52
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 6:20:20 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

Is there a way to see what the pics look like, without loading them into the game?

I do not think you can, as everything is included in the .PRK file. There's isn't a "loose" or "separate" graphic file to look over

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 53
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:10:23 PM   
throttle8

quote:

When you download the park pack and import each and every park, it will already have a picture and it will already have the dimensions. Other than importing the park you do not need to do anything; it does it all for you.

Now I understand it!!!! Thanks for the extra effort to get the message across!!!!

Post #: 54
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 7:31:15 PM   
PadresFan104

quote:

quote:

When you download the park pack and import each and every park, it will already have a picture and it will already have the dimensions. Other than importing the park you do not need to do anything; it does it all for you.

Now I understand it!!!! Thanks for the extra effort to get the message across!!!!

For all the hours I spent scouring the net for the best photos and configuring those darn ball flight locations, you better use 'em!!!

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 55
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 8:25:12 PM   
throttle8

I hope you have several parks that have the good old billboards in the outfield like you see in the HBO documentary When It Was A Game!!!:)

I'll take one of those old type fields over any new type field, any day of the week!!!!

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 56
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 8:26:52 PM   
PadresFan104

Not really, I can't make a good ballpark file without a good photo that is at least 800x600.  Anything smaller and it's too grainy....

PadresFan's Text Sim Mod Website: http://www.padresfanmods.net
Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/padresfanmods

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 57
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 8:32:08 PM   
throttle8

Well, thats a bummer!!!

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 58
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 9:51:20 PM   
GNDN

A couple I just thought of:

• A line drive out in the IF that doubles off a runner.  I have managed approx 60 games and have yet to see it happen. 
  • The occasional pick-off of a runner as a result of a caught stealing.  Maybe as a pitcher's 'great defensive play'?

Thanks

(in reply to throttle8)
Post #: 59
RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? - 11/30/2007 11:34:19 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

quote:

ORIGINAL: GNDN

A couple I just thought of:

• The occasional pick-off of a runner as a result of a caught stealing. Maybe as a pitcher's 'great defensive play'?

Thanks

I have seen the AI conduct a pitchout at the same time I called for a steal. The runner was thrown out. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> RE: What's left to add to Pure Sim? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI