Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defensive "Read"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Development System (PDS) >> Defensive "Read" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defensive "Read" - 12/1/2007 7:05:52 PM   
Brizane

Can someone please explain to me the details of how "Read" works?

I'll provide three examples:

4-3 base defense, MLB on Read.
Offense is in Pro-set Base Right (TE and FB on right side, HB on left, WR's on both sides out wide)

First play:

Sweep right. TE seals the end of the DL on the right. FB sweeps out to pick up the OLB, and the WR blocks the DB. Whats the MLB's logic, on this play? I figure he reads the play, makes an INT check to get it right. If this is correct, then what?

Second play:

Play Action TE Split. Play Action Fake the dive with the RB's, FB cuts right as a reciever, just after the DL. HB stops and Pass Blocks. Both WR's do 7 yard out routes. The TE does a 5 yard post, looking to split the "2 deep zone, or cover 2". The TE is the primary reciever. Whats the MLB's logic on this play? I figure he reads the play, makes an INT check to get it right. If this is correct, then what?

Third play:

Spread Eagle Flares. No Play Action. Both WR's do 7 yard out routes. The TE does a 5 yard post, looking to split the "2 deep zone, or cover 2". Both RB's flare out into the flats. The TE is primary, with check downs to the WR's then to the RB's. Whats the MLB's logic on this play? I figure he reads the play, makes an INT check to get it right. If this is correct, then what?

I figure with these three plays, we cover every kind of MLB "Read" there is, and I can understand how all "Read's" will work, from then on.

Again, thank you all for your time.

Irish
Toronto Maple Leafs 1-3 (1-0 under new ownership)
Major League Football

Post #: 1
RE: Defensive "Read" - 12/1/2007 9:52:45 PM   
David Winter

Hi.

The [READ] command just looks at what the QB is doing. If the QB drops back, the player with this command drops back slightly to prepare for a pass. When/if the ball is passed, they react to the pass.

If the QB hands off (or fakes the hand off) the player will check to see if he needs to now cover a different player. If the QB rolls out, then the player will cover the QB on the roll.

The 'logic' of the command doesn't change based on offensive formations or what receivers may or may not be doing.

thanks
David

(in reply to Brizane)
Post #: 2
RE: Defensive "Read" - 12/2/2007 6:00:04 PM   
Marauders

Brizane,

READ is really a READ QB command.

There is no guard read or counting off of receivers.

(in reply to Brizane)
Post #: 3
RE: Defensive "Read" - 12/5/2007 3:44:23 PM   
Deft

For these reasons, Read is only really a good command for LBs.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Defensive "Read" - 12/5/2007 4:11:44 PM   
Marauders

quote:

Deft: For these reasons, Read is only really a good command for LBs.

It can be given to the free safety as well, but for the most part, it is best given to linebackers only, as there is some delay in coverage.

(in reply to Deft)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Development System (PDS) >> Defensive "Read" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI