Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can we get a Space Game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can we get a Space Game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 9:29:31 PM   
Ike99

I was surfing around ¨home of the underdogs¨ one day and came across a game called...

¨Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space¨

I had never heard of the man or the mission,

but decided to check it out anyways. What I found was a very addicting strategy game on the Race between the Soviet Union and United States to land a man on the Moon and return him to the Earth alive first.

Wonderful concept and a really first rate game despite its age.

Matrix Games like doing remakes and bringing old games up to modern specs and redoing this game should be one a developer should seriously consider.
Post #: 1
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 9:54:27 PM   
Ike99

Ahh yes, I should add the copyright to this game is now the game designers and he has given permission for anyone to download the game and play it, as long as it isn´t sold.

So someone get on the phone and start tossing ideas around for a remake...please.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 2
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:13:39 PM   
PunkReaper

I can never get these DOS games to run but I have often thought a game based on the space race would be good and I would certainly join you in suggesting Matrix take a look.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 3
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:16:21 PM   
Zakhal

Somthing like VGA planets hosted 11 player multiplayer would be great. Im still looking for a sequel, VGA planets 4.0 was not so good.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 4
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:16:53 PM   
Terminus

Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space is now available in a proper Windows freeware version on sourceforge, so you don't need to go the ILLEGAL way.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 12/4/2007 11:42:02 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:28:57 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space is now available in a proper freeware version on sourceforge, so you don't need to go the ILLEGAL way.

How can there be an ¨ILLEGAL¨ way terminus when the person who owns the copyright has given permission to host it and download it as long as it isn´t sold?

Punk reaper there is a Windows CD ROM version for download, maybe it will work on your system.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:41:02 PM   
Ike99

quote:

I can never get these DOS games to run but I have often thought a game based on the space race would be good and I would certainly join you in suggesting Matrix take a look.

This game works on WindowsXP reaper. I just checked the specs.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 7
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/4/2007 11:45:03 PM   
Terminus

The freeware version works 100% flawlessly on WinXp. Zero problems.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 8
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/5/2007 12:52:26 AM   
Ike99

Someone made a video of their soviet landing on the moon on youtube.

quote:

Oh great Russia we have landed!

I step on the new world of mankind, a world of communist.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3J9Gr4uLc

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/6/2007 5:53:33 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

quote:

Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space is now available in a proper freeware version on sourceforge, so you don't need to go the ILLEGAL way.

How can there be an ¨ILLEGAL¨ way terminus when the person who owns the copyright has given permission to host it and download it as long as it isn´t sold?

Punk reaper there is a Windows CD ROM version for download, maybe it will work on your system.

I was wondering how Terminus came to that conclusion too. There's no difference.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 10
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/6/2007 7:45:47 PM   
cdbeck

It makes me sad that you had never heard of Buzz Aldrin...

The sourceforge version is nice, runs quite well on Windows XP. I am very happy that old copyrights are getting loosed... Home of the Underdogs has been keep some of the best abandonware alive. Some of the greatest ideas came out of that silver age of PC gaming.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 11
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/6/2007 9:01:05 PM   
Ike99

quote:

I was wondering how Terminus came to that conclusion too. There's no difference.

I´m thinking many people have a predjudice when they hear ¨home of the underdogs¨ or other such sites believing the games posted there are automatic pirated. That´s what I am guessing. I don´t know.

I would say to anyone download the game from Sourceforce as Terminus said though as it seems the game maker is there and improved some things on it.

It seems the forum is active. Amazing for a 15 year old PC game.

mkmccarty@raceintospace.org There you go Matrix, the developers email. (Hint) (Hint)

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 12
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/6/2007 9:25:23 PM   
sabre100

I agree this game and concept is very nice, I think Matrix should email the author and do a proper remake for this game and bring it up to modern standards.  Even after so many years this game is still solid.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 13
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/6/2007 11:38:21 PM   
NefariousKoel

Can you shoot at a fat little Krushchev from space with a lazagun?  Pew pew!!

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 14
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/7/2007 8:26:10 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

I´m thinking many people have a predjudice when they hear ¨home of the underdogs¨ or other such sites believing the games posted there are automatic pirated. That´s what I am guessing. I don´t know.

I know. Home of the Underdogs hosts games that they consider as abandonware, and I believe that counts games like Panzer General, Battle Isle and Steel Panthers. If copyright owner of the game or its representative demands Underdogs to remove game, Underdogs does so. I guess many similar sites act like that, but there are so many of them and new ones popping up, that if game you're looking for is removed from one site, it's likely on some other.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 15
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/7/2007 9:16:50 PM   
Rainbow7

It actually started off as a board game, which can still be acquired directly from the designer, Fritz Bronner.  Here's my review of the board game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/206796

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/8/2007 5:16:18 AM   
Ike99

quote:

It actually started off as a board game, which can still be acquired directly from the designer, Fritz Bronner. Here's my review of the board game:

I don´t know how frustrating the board game is as you write in your review Rainbow but I can certainly say the PC version is very frustrating.

Especially as your capsule burns up in re-entry along with crew (-10 prestige, capsule safety 6)and the Soviets jump way ahead of you.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 12/8/2007 5:17:28 AM >

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 17
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/9/2007 6:29:21 AM   
Rainbow7

I failed many a mission in Liftoff!, and the worst is when I have a series of failures which throws off all my plans for years.  But I also found, the board game at any rate, that catching up just means taking a few more chances.  There is also a built in mechanism with the card draws that tends to even out income over time, so that there isn't a runaway winner.

< Message edited by Rainbow -- 12/9/2007 6:30:04 AM >

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 18
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/9/2007 10:54:00 PM   
ORANGE

I would like to see a computer version of the old Avalon Hill game Up Front or something similar.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 19
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/10/2007 2:01:37 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Just get dosbox here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1&begaming_website_session=4c96dc9209fb69b92426f0cd3a25d095

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 20
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/10/2007 6:30:25 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Just get dosbox here:

Not needed. The version at Sourceforce works on all windows systems. It has a lot more historic video footage than the old diskette version as well.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 21
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 12/12/2007 11:28:21 PM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ORANGE

I would like to see a computer version of the old Avalon Hill game Up Front or something similar.

Years ago I tried the first and got pretty close (one or two signatures away) though for a long list of reasons it will not and should not ever happen by anyone. I then started work on the second. For a different set of reasons I decided it not very plausible as it was. A good bit after that I began an enhanced version of the project. The irony here is that should I ever finish the 3rd incarnation while it will be what I would personally consider a superior game in all ways to Up Front, it is being built upon an engine that would be easily moddable into the first (well at least for 70%-80% of its rules/components if not more should someone actually want to bother) and then through additional releases other genres and/or forms of combat (naval/air etc.). Thus its plausibility to offset the insane amount of effort..

I hesitate a bit more than some would to call Up Front a flawed game. It was certainly revolutionary for its time, but uber-fanbois aside, most today consider it at least partially flawed, overcomplicated, and with some of the most poorly defined and written rules ever. Certainly any new player would. MMP to this day has still failed at a remake. I must say though, being challenged with coming up with a better game myself, I have I think a unique appreciation for some of the challenges Courtney faced and can't really criticize his solutions to them. Having done extensive playtesting and contributions to a later title of his and having subsequentlely fully finished my own card game back then based largely upon the same mechanics (Which never saw the light of day when AH died mere months later) I have an unparralleled love for all titles in the line...

I guess thats what still drives me to do it, even though I'm still a bit uncertain how exactly popular card games are, especially in a computer-based version.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 22
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 1/25/2008 12:42:52 AM   
11Bravo

I read this thread a while back and eventually tried the game out. It is a lot of fun.

I wrote an AAR of my first game here.

Posted some screen shots of the game and some links to resources that were helpful.

< Message edited by 11Bravo -- 1/25/2008 4:00:55 PM >

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 23
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 1/25/2008 1:04:30 PM   
marcusm

EFS2,EFS2,EFS2,EFS2,EFS2,EFS2

Emperor of the Fading Suns 2.

This is what is needed.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 24
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 1/25/2008 2:32:37 PM   
ravinhood

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 25
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 1/25/2008 2:50:44 PM   
JudgeDredd

What about Supremacy...and I'm not on about the one out now....I'm on about the one for Atari
http://www.retroscene.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=AmigaSupremacy

I liked that one

And what a surprise to see ravinhoods first post in the thread being on topic and helpful.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 26
RE: Can we get a Space Game? - 1/25/2008 3:06:12 PM   
marcusm

Also existed for Amiga. I liked it quite a bit even though it lacked the lasting playability of MOO 1/2.
As for Spam. How about Monty Python in space :).

Or related. How about a space game heavily influenced by Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy? A bit like
Starship Titanic. I don't want ot see yet another generic 4X game.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can we get a Space Game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI