Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/6/2007 10:31:19 PM   
sabre100

I got a 15.4inch macbook pro earlier this year and that is one sweet and slick looking laptop.  They rock and you can install Windows either via boot camp, parallels, etc.   You know you pay more money then a Windows Laptop but the look, finish, and the hardware can not even be compared to the cheap plastic looking laptops other vendors make.
Post #: 1
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/6/2007 10:55:48 PM   
Knuckles_85

Mac users are pretentious A-holes that needs to be punched in the face daily at 4:35 pst.

Me: God that guy is annoying

Co-worker: What would Jesus do?

Me: I don't know set him on fire and send him to hell?
Post #: 2
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/6/2007 10:59:56 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knuckles_85

Mac users are pretentious A-holes that needs to be punched in the face daily at 4:35 pst.

I support this idea.

I think this sums it up well:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 12/6/2007 11:00:48 PM >

(in reply to Knuckles_85)
Post #: 3
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/6/2007 11:00:09 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: yuiymkgfftgh

what do you want for christmas?

Macweenie extinction.
Post #: 4
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/7/2007 7:08:37 AM   
wesy

I have a "Mac" notebook (MacBook Pro) and a Lenovo (T61P) "pc based" notebook - whatever that means these days. Luckily i work for a software company and I have the luxury to get a new notebook every year.

Here are my thoughs on both (either way get an extended support agreement)

MacBook Pro

Pros - sexy, nice hardware. fast (core2duo), 2GB of RAM, fast ATI graphics coprocessor. 17 inch screen nice. Conversation piece at work. cool magentic breakaway for power cord. Great for Music recording. More consistency in UI.

Cons - RUNS HOT HOT HOT. Device Drivers (boot camp) issues, some conventions are different., motherboard fried on me. HEAVY (at least the 17") version + carrying the power brick along. It's a battle to connect to corporate network due to security (IPSEC, NAP (or NAC if you're a cisco guy)) Entourage is NOT Outlook when comparing Exhange clients. Shell is buried (makes sense since most mac users wouldn't have a clue anyway - what's this weird prompt? ;)). relatively expensive for what it is. No VGA port, but comes with adapter that doesn't work for more external LCD display.

Lenovo T61p ThinkPad

Pros - best "pc" based notebook (i use quotations cuz it pretty much parts is parts between the two) imho. I've had HP's, a plethora of Toshiba's both Tablet and standard notebooks. and this Lenovo just runs Vista flawlessly. No issues at all so far...my Toshiba M400 and M3 were a completely different story...reinforced "cage" for the display. comparable build quality (up there with the Macbook). Better Keyboard (subjective) cool "blue" LED to light up on a dark night - kind of like my Acura has or BMW has that Orange LED light for the interiior at night. I think the Macbook keys light up a bit (it's been in the shop for awhile so i can't remember) Metal stantions for connections to chasis. finger print reader, way cheaper than the macbook. upgradeable to 4Gb of RAM (though the mac might be too).

Cons - heavy, not as sexy or as cool at Starbucks or Borders ;), high resolution makes it hard for those over 40. nickname is StinkPad.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/7/2007 7:12:18 AM   
wesy

oh yeah - and i have a choice of using the "pencil eraser" or the track pad. I hate track pads!

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 6
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/12/2007 3:00:12 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

I'm a Mac-user, am I a "pretentious A-hole"?

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 7
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/14/2007 2:50:37 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemesis

quote:

Maybe he should get his buddies together and force you to wear an arm band with a yellow Apple logo on it.

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 8
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/14/2007 3:03:39 AM   
ORANGE

Macworld ran a blog item on the diminishing allure of the Mac to artists and graphic designers in the United States. The next day, the San Francisco Chronicle published a story, in the business section, explaining how Mac users in California are a lot more socially and creatively diverse -- read: more strait-laced and less avant-garde -- than you might believe. This month's Computerworld will contain a report by ersatz demographer Mike Elgan that explicitly poses the question: Is Apple the new Microsoft?

Elgan's research on U.S. Census data drives home a point that the Mac vanguard has been wrestling with for a while: The hedonistic, transgressive, radical ethos (and stereotype) that once characterized the Mac community doesn't represent reality anymore. The decline of urban coastal Mac user groups, the increase in the Mac-using population in the interior U.S. and the overall diversification of the Mac community are facts. What's more, Elgan argues, these trends are a function of the growing acceptance of Macs among the American public.

Acceptance? Really? Has Elgan forgotten about the majority of offices that have policies in effect barring Mac use at work, or the Justice Department's recent decision to relax court-ordered restrictions on Microsoft's business practices in the face of continuing opposition from the White House?

Not at all. There is, he says, a vocal, virulent -- and sometimes violent -- anti-Mac movement, but it doesn't negate years of opinion surveys that show a marked increase in tolerance in most Americans' attitudes toward Macs and Mac users. In 1998, for example, a Gallup poll found that only 33% of Americans thought that Macs could perform standard pencil-pushing tasks like running Microsoft Office. By 2007, that figure had risen to 59%.

Growing acceptance means a decline in social stigma associated with using Macs, and a consequent shift in the politics of declaring oneself a Mac user. The more Mac users come out, the more accepting people are around them, and the more accepting the public becomes, the more people switch to Macs.

Elgan's study shows that the number of self-described Mac users in the U.S. has quadrupled since 1998, and the biggest increases are in the country's more socially conservative areas.

Utah is the poster state. Between 1990 and 2006, for example, it went from having the 38th-highest concentration of Mac users in the country to 14th highest. In that same time period, the percentage of Mac users who lived in large cities declined from 45% to 23%. Even more counterintuitive, from 2000 to 2006, the states with the fewest Apple stores had above-average increases in the number of Mac users. And places, like Utah, where a majority of people still believe Saddam Hussein had anything to do with 9/11 -- the reddest of red, the squarest of rectangle states -- saw even larger increases.

Some of the growth in the number of Mac users in conservative areas could be because of migration. And yes, some on-the-barricades members of the Mac community have gotten older and mellower and moved out to the heartland. But the larger trend is simply that as more latent Mac users switch to Macs, they don't need to change or assimilate to fit into the mainstream because they are already very much a part of it.

"The demographic characteristics of the Mac community are converging with those of the mainstream," Elgan says. If you're from a state like Utah or Nebraska, chances are you're going to share a lot with your neighbors whether you're a Mac user or a PC user: "They're rural," Elgan says, "they're religious, and they're Republican."

So what does this all mean for American culture at large?

"Society is beginning to say that being a Mac user is not such a big deal," Elgan says. "What that means for Mac users is that their platform choice won't have the centrality to their identity it once did. Being a Mac user then becomes one of a variety of an individual's competing identities."

In other words, as the challenges associated with using a Mac diminish, so does the primacy of the identity that that act of self-discovery and self-assertion once forged. It means that the culture once associated with the Mac becomes less distinctive from the mainstream.

Elgan doesn't believe that these trends spell an end to Mac users' "associational" life. The process he's describing is not unlike the one experienced by so many immigrant or minority groups in America that fought against discrimination, moved beyond their enclaves and then felt a little sad that they lost the embracing sense of uniqueness and community that they once enjoyed.

As Mac users meld into the broader population, places like New York's Lower East Side and the Castro district in San Francisco will inevitably lose some of their appeal. As more Mac users come out in more places, the diversity of creatively expressive politics and lifestyles will come out with them, and the tolerant will multiply.

For some of the pioneers from the edgy, embattled, ecstatic "good old days," this may be bittersweet. "But isn't that what everyone wanted 20 years ago?" Elgan asks. "Just to be treated like everyone else?"

Post #: 9
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/17/2007 10:14:12 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I ask the same, am I a "pretentious A-hole" too? A good part of our planning and design work is done on a Mac actually.

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 10
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/17/2007 9:40:37 PM   
ORANGE

The message below is just my humble opinion:

I feel that a lot of the stigma associated with Mac users is brought on by their own actions. They position the Mac solution as a better solution and the more intellectual solution. It isn’t. It is just one of many solutions out there.

Apple was in a position to become as big as or bigger than Microsoft a decade prior but they wanted to profit from all of the hardware sales so they lost out and are still playing catch up. Imagine if the Internet took off a decade sooner? A large part of why it did not lies squarely in the laps of Apple.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 11
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/17/2007 10:01:17 PM   
Awac835

Ill take a Mac anyday simply becouse the OS on it is infinitly better then Windows. But i would settle for my current pc and simply go with a free Linux distro or FreeBSD which i run along side windows for playing games.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 12
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/17/2007 11:27:48 PM   
Knuckles_85

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I ask the same, am I a "pretentious A-hole" too? A good part of our planning and design work is done on a Mac actually.

I can't say Marc, you seem like a cool guy but it could all be a fascade. I deal with Mac users everyday as a Network admin/PC Repair/ Jack of all trades position at a company. I cringe every time a Mac person calls me. It's not the fact that Apple makes it difficult as hell to get to the Kernel. It's not the fact that Apple guard their white papers like the secret nuclear launch codes of the former Soviet Union. It's the fact that every time some goes wrong with their Mac it's might fault cause Macs "just work". "My Mac at home never have any problems", yeah that's because all you do is play solitaire and use iMovie you fat ass. The way Macs handle resource forks is such a pain in the ass that after fixing and patching what it just did to my network I feel like someone just smashed my nuts with a ballpin hammer. The last straw was those bs Hi, I'm a Mac commercials. I just wanna take that Mac guy and wrap his ass in 10 rolls of duct tape, beat him with a sock full of pool balls and leave him locked in the trunk of an abandoned car in a junk yard.

Post #: 13
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/17/2007 11:43:36 PM   
Knuckles_85

quote:

Acceptance? Really? Has Elgan forgotten about the majority of offices that have policies in effect barring Mac use at work, or the Justice Department's recent decision to relax court-ordered restrictions on Microsoft's business practices in the face of continuing opposition from the White House?

You know why most companies have policies banning Macs? Because they are a headache for IT departments. Macs don't play well with others. For Example let's say you want to host the files on a linux or a Microsoft Server. No problem except without a third party solution opening those files are slow as hell because the make wants a confirmation for EVERY SINGLE PACKET SENT! Do you know how bad that bogs down the system? Let me give you another example, let's say you want to move those files to another server. You can't just map a drive and an d move them, oh no that would be too easy. Mac tags those files so if you move them with anything other than a Mac it corrupts the files and they can't be open. On top of that you can't move them all at once or the Mac will start deleting some of the files thinking the files where moved. Now I've had to go trogh this process only moving about 200mb at a time (after restoring the files the Mac deleted). Marketing had 232 GB of Mac data on the server, yeah I was more than a lil pissed at the end of the day.

Post #: 14
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 12:19:28 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Awac835

Ill take a Mac anyday simply becouse the OS on it is infinitly better then Windows. But i would settle for my current pc and simply go with a free Linux distro or FreeBSD which i run along side windows for playing games.

I would not say Mac is better than Windows. Apple has a huge advantage when they can control the hardware. A lot of the problems with Windows is butt-cheap hardware and poorly written third party apps. Something people who even know better rarely seem to state.

Linux may have less problems but it supports less hardware, software and users.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 15
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 12:25:10 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

quote:

You know why most companies have policies banning Macs? Because they are a headache for IT departments. Macs don't play well with others. For Example let's say you want to host the files on a linux or a Microsoft Server. No problem except without a third party solution opening those files are slow as hell because the make wants a confirmation for EVERY SINGLE PACKET SENT! Do you know how bad that bogs down the system? Let me give you another example, let's say you want to move those files to another server. You can't just map a drive and an d move them, oh no that would be too easy. Mac tags those files so if you move them with anything other than a Mac it corrupts the files and they can't be open. On top of that you can't move them all at once or the Mac will start deleting some of the files thinking the files where moved. Now I've had to go trogh this process only moving about 200mb at a time (after restoring the files the Mac deleted). Marketing had 232 GB of Mac data on the server, yeah I was more than a lil pissed at the end of the day.

This was a brilliant bit of work that I read at one of the regular blogs I read. It was based on an latimes.com article:

Gay — the new straight

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-rodriguez5nov05,0,6813671.column?coll=la-opinion-columnists

I posted it hear because I thought it was a really good job and did seem to fit the Mac community as well. I applaud the original poster.

Post #: 16
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 10:35:57 AM   
Nemesis

quote:

ORIGINAL: ORANGELinux may have less problems but it supports less hardware, software and users.

Um, hardware-support in Linux mops the floor with Windows and OS X combined. If you plug some device in to a Linux-box, there's a good chance that it just works. Windows? Windows will probably prompt you for drivers.

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 17
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 10:43:26 AM   
Nemesis

quote:

I can't say Marc, you seem like a cool guy but it could all be a fascade. I deal with Mac users everyday as a Network admin/PC Repair/ Jack of all trades position at a company. I cringe every time a Mac person calls me. It's not the fact that Apple makes it difficult as hell to get to the Kernel.

How easy is it to "get to the kernel" of Windows? you have the source-code of OS X kernel available, how about Windows?

quote:

No problem except without a third party solution opening those files are slow as hell because the make wants a confirmation for EVERY SINGLE PACKET SENT!

IIRC, that's configurable.

quote:

Mac tags those files so if you move them with anything other than a Mac it corrupts the files and they can't be open.

Haven't heard of that one. Got any links?

quote:

On top of that you can't move them all at once or the Mac will start deleting some of the files thinking the files where moved.

That was a bug that manifested itself in rare occasions. It's already fixed.

quote:

Now I've had to go trogh this process only moving about 200mb at a time (after restoring the files the Mac deleted). Marketing had 232 GB of Mac data on the server, yeah I was more than a lil pissed at the end of the day.

Well, I know few Mac-using companies that move terabytes of data every day, and they have no problems at all.

oderint dum metuant

Post #: 18
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 10:53:18 AM   
leastonh1

quote:

Um, hardware-support in Linux mops the floor with Windows and OS X combined. If you plug some device in to a Linux-box, there's a good chance that it just works. Windows? Windows will probably prompt you for drivers.

I agree. There has been very little hardware I couldn't see running immediately after installing Linux on any PC I've owned/built/supported. The only real exception is with graphics tablets. Historically, they are poorly supported in Linux, but even that's changing now. Windows driver issues are the bane of most techie's lives, mine included. XP was much better with drivers, but I believe Vista has gone backwards in time.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 19
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 11:08:24 AM   
JudgeDredd

I'd probably go with Linux, apart from the ease of sticking the Windows CD into the machine and installing.

AFAIK, there is no real easy way to install Linux. I'm also a little concerned about compatability with all my software.

But I'm all for an alternative (free is great, cheaper would be fine) to MS Windows.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 20
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 11:15:54 AM   
Nemesis

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

AFAIK, there is no real easy way to install Linux.

Yes there is, has been for years. Take Ubuntu for example. you burn a bootable Live-CD. You boot your computer from that CD and it takes you to a fully-functional Linux (with GUI and all) that you can use without touching the OS on the HD at all. That way you can make sure everything is working. If you decide to install it, you click on the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop, answer few questions and it installs the OS for you. After the install you eject the CD and boot in to you new OS. It really couldn't be any easier than that.

See for yourself

quote:

I'm also a little concerned about compatability with all my software.

Since your existing software is Windows-software, naturally it would not work in Linux...

< Message edited by Nemesis -- 12/18/2007 11:21:29 AM >

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 11:22:27 AM   
leastonh1

Doh, Nemesis beat me to it

Linux is probably as easy, if not easier than Windows to install these days. The only thing you might need to mess with (depending on the distro and your requirements) is the hard drive partitioning. Most Linux distros also have a Live CD available too. Pop it in the CD drive, boot with it and you basically run the whole OS off the CD. It's a great way to test a distro against your hardware and to see if you can live with it. You also get the option to install it if you choose to.

As for software compatibility. Hmmm, depends on what you're running. There are Linux alternatives/versions of most Windows software. The biggest problem is games. Most Windows games aren't ported over to Linux, so you do have to jump through a few hoops to play them.

The easiest way to begin with is to run a Live CD (try http://www.distrowatch.com/ for options)

< Message edited by Jim_H -- 12/18/2007 11:23:26 AM >

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 12:00:32 PM   
JudgeDredd

thx - will do.

One of the reasons I've stayed with Windows is the old "better the devil you know"...the fact that I don't like to "jump through hoops" (I know you do with Windows, but once everything is up and running in the OS, most programs run flawlessly)..>I hate to buy something and not be able to run it without ducking and diving, bobbing and weaving.

Also, in terms of games, I will not be re-buying all my games just so they're compatible with another OS...sorry...but I don't have those funds to chuck around. It's all I can do to persuade my wife that my hobby is just that, apologise for it being expensive and walk away in a sulk, without having to explain to her that I needed this new OS and re-buying the games are a necessity.

I will certainly look at ubuntu...what a great idea, running an OS from the CD to see if it works!!

Thx Jim_H and Nemesis

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 23
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 12:31:55 PM   
Nemesis

quote:

Also, in terms of games, I will not be re-buying all my games just so they're compatible with another OS...sorry...but I don't have those funds to chuck around.

You don't have to apologize :). That said, I did (and do) spend quite a bit of time playing games on Windows. And then I moved to Mac. What did I do? I installed Windows on the Mac, so I could boot in to Windows whenever I wanted to play a game, rest of the time I could just use OS X. Also, I occasionally buy games for the Mac as well (Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday for example), although it's easier to buy them for Windows, due to better availability. But if I can choose between Win-version and Mac-version, I choose the Mac-version.

My in-laws are actually moving to a Mac this christmas (my wife somehow talked them in to it), and I can tell you how it went in their case (total Mac-newbies) early next year.

< Message edited by Nemesis -- 12/18/2007 12:37:02 PM >

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 1:46:07 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

One of the reasons I've stayed with Windows is the old "better the devil you know"...the fact that I don't like to "jump through hoops" (I know you do with Windows, but once everything is up and running in the OS, most programs run flawlessly)..>I hate to buy something and not be able to run it without ducking and diving, bobbing and weaving.

Which is precisely why I and most other people probably stay with Windows too. It's familiar. Crap, but familiar. If you are used to Windows, then Linux will be quite a learning curve. Almost everything is different, down to the directory structure.

quote:

Also, in terms of games, I will not be re-buying all my games just so they're compatible with another OS...sorry...but I don't have those funds to chuck around. It's all I can do to persuade my wife that my hobby is just that, apologise for it being expensive and walk away in a sulk, without having to explain to her that I needed this new OS and re-buying the games are a necessity.

I'm the same. It's a constant battle with the boss to justify why my "hobby" costs so much. I can't and won't ditch Windows for quite a while yet because there are things I can't do without, games being the biggest. So, I dual boot Linux and XP and just buy games for XP as I've always done. The games I run on Linux are either completely free or come with the Windows version anyway. Linux costs me a blank CD and some time.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 2:18:33 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

The last straw was those bs Hi, I'm a Mac commercials. I just wanna take that Mac guy and wrap his ass in 10 rolls of duct tape, beat him with a sock full of pool balls and leave him locked in the trunk of an abandoned car in a junk yard.

We can certainly agree on that the Apple commercials do nothing good for how many people see Mac Users. While I found them funny at the beginning they now should move to something different now, it is getting boring.

If you hate the "I'm a Mac" comms, then check out the the "iPpod touch guided tour". I had to throw up, almost ....

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour/

then compare it to the iPhone guided tour. I guess it is the same guy just with a mask on ....

I would not consider myself an Apple fanboy, I just switched over step by step since 2 years. I love the fact that I can run Mac OS and Windows on the very same machine, both natively without any emulations needed.

A main reason to switch was that I got tired of getting the OS in the way of my daily workflow. I would not say that Mac Os is superior too Windows, but it certainly needs less administrating and maintenance, at least for me. This is certainly due to Apple having good control over the hardware it builts is machines on.

Yes I love my iPod too. Not that it is the best solution for portable media it certainly is on of the best looking (except for the new "washing machine" iPod nano, yuck) and most easy to use.

Apple has it own share of flaws compared to Windows, anybody saying something other is simply ignoring this and preaching the "It just works" marketing blurb. But all in all I must say I never had so few crashes and reboots compared to the 15 years of using a Windows box.

Post #: 26
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 6:48:12 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ORANGELinux may have less problems but it supports less hardware, software and users.

LOL! You made a funny!

More hardware works with Windows than works with Linux. This is because hardware vendors write drivers for Windows more often than they do for Linux.

Thanks for the laugh! I wonder how many hardware devices come to market just for linux users?

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 27
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 6:59:40 PM   
ORANGE

I guess I am favored toward MS...it is probably due to the fact that they are the targeted enemy for no other reason than they are big. Windows works. I have used Linux and seen but no used MACs. Linux is intriguing to me for devices not for an OS per se.

The I am a MAC commercials were a hoot at first, dare I say brilliant, but now they are irritating because they are not as truthful.

From what I have read the new Apple OS has a lot of problems as well. The tech geek community is starting to turn on Apple for some reason too. I guess to be cool you cannot be part of the mainstream. I am not even sure if the LUG I used to attend is around anymore.

Post #: 28
RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. - 12/18/2007 7:08:13 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

quote:

Also, in terms of games, I will not be re-buying all my games just so they're compatible with another OS...sorry...but I don't have those funds to chuck around.

You don't have to apologize :). That said, I did (and do) spend quite a bit of time playing games on Windows. And then I moved to Mac. What did I do? I installed Windows on the Mac, so I could boot in to Windows whenever I wanted to play a game, rest of the time I could just use OS X. Also, I occasionally buy games for the Mac as well (Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday for example), although it's easier to buy them for Windows, due to better availability. But if I can choose between Win-version and Mac-version, I choose the Mac-version.

My in-laws are actually moving to a Mac this christmas (my wife somehow talked them in to it), and I can tell you how it went in their case (total Mac-newbies) early next year.

Why do you not play the games on Linux?

(in reply to Nemesis)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I want to get a Macbook at christmas. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI