Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ongoing AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Ongoing AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ongoing AAR - 12/7/2007 5:15:32 AM   
trw2264

In hopes of developing a strong and loyal following and interest in EiA I have started this thread for a PBEM game that has been started. The group of individuals that are part of this EIA PBEM game have been enthusiastic and prompt in returning information to get the game underway and this promptness helps to make a game an enjoyable event.

The group of us started out by voting on the options to be used and a game turnaround timeframe. For a timeframe I conservatively suggested that a 5 day turnaround would be do able, but I quickly found out that I had underestimated the group and my 5 day turnaround was, happily shot down, to 48 hours!

Monadman graciously volunteered to act as the arbitrator for the bidding system and to help us get the game underway.

The members of this game range from an individual helping to develop the EiA to playing FTF or snail-mail games to reading the rules and going through scenarios of the actual board game to having never been exposed to EiA before.

Monadman will be publishing the bid results and I encourage all the group members to share their experience.

The dogs of war have been let loose!

Thank you,
Thomas
Post #: 1
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/7/2007 5:35:59 AM   
Monadman

And they're off . . .

Game name (fittingly):
FirstGame

Host:
Thomas (trw2264): trw2264@hotmail.com

Clients:
Richard (Richard123456789): dickiestammers@hotmail.com
Michael (Khornish): khornishman@yahoo.com
Gordon (Panzeh): gtheblizz@gmail.com
Joe (JavaJoe): sillvesttree@yahoo.com
James (therockyfroggy): bimbo_15_63@yahoo.com
Chris (hardcoremtnbiker): kleinmtnbiker@yahoo.com.

Arbitrator (non-player):
Monadman

Options in play:
Winter land movement: Disabled
Guard commitment: Enabled
PBEM host menu: Enabled
Option changes during the game: Disabled
PBEM password protection: Enabled
Economic manipulation: Enabled
Start at war: Enabled
Leader casualties: Enabled
PBEM quick combat: Enabled
Privateers : Disabled.

House Rules:
48-hour turn-around time and a few days for starting diplomacy

Results from Major Power Bid and Selection Procedure:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to trw2264)
Post #: 2
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/7/2007 12:20:31 PM   
jamo262

Fascinating,

So apart from Russia being able to send it's troops through the German states there is no immediate Land combat looming.

Its a pity French horse training could not get Spain as an ally and go the Battle of Trafalgar!

-Could the combined Spanish / French Fleets have hypothetically set up in enemy blockade boxes if they wished to (or the bay of Biscay)?-

Who will break the stalemate first?

I cant wait to find out!

< Message edited by jamo262 -- 12/7/2007 12:23:19 PM >

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 3
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/8/2007 3:32:30 AM   
trw2264

Currently, we are looking at about 5 days for diplomacy for the beging of the game and then setup and see what happens.

Diplomats are moving from capital to capital to gauge the intent of each nations leadership.

(in reply to jamo262)
Post #: 4
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/8/2007 3:42:24 AM   
jamo262

Hi Thomas

It appears I shall have to learn the art of patience.

Something we are all no stranger to.

< Message edited by jamo262 -- 12/8/2007 5:17:53 PM >

(in reply to trw2264)
Post #: 5
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/8/2007 12:23:23 PM   
ess1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamo262

HI Thomas

It appears I shall have to learn patience.

Something we are all no stranger to.

Indeed! Thanks for sharing with us.
Still reading...

(in reply to jamo262)
Post #: 6
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/8/2007 11:14:00 PM   
Odysseus

Interesting - to my old EiA eyes it looks like players have used two different bidding systems here. Spain and Turkey used the one I recognize - you have numbers from 1 to 7 to assign to the factions, one each (meaning you only have a single 1, a single 2 etc.). The other five seems to have been bidding with some other kinda gung-ho free for all bidding system.

Or am I just not remember the bidding system(s?) correctly?

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 7
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/9/2007 1:17:34 AM   
JavaJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Odysseus

Interesting - to my old EiA eyes it looks like players have used two different bidding systems here. Spain and Turkey used the one I recognize - you have numbers from 1 to 7 to assign to the factions, one each (meaning you only have a single 1, a single 2 etc.). The other five seems to have been bidding with some other kinda gung-ho free for all bidding system.

Bidding from the game itself doesn't limit the amount you can bid. You can't replicate bids for the 7 nations but you aren't restricted by that number.

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to Odysseus)
Post #: 8
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/9/2007 8:26:29 AM   
Odysseus

quote:

ORIGINAL: JavaJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Odysseus

Bidding from the game itself doesn't limit the amount you can bid. You can't replicate bids for the 7 nations but you aren't restricted by that number.

It is possible that I am referring to an old house rule - I don't own the board game and so don't have the rules available to check. But I do distinctly remember that numbers 1-7 were how we used to do the bidding (it kept people from killing their own game right from the get go), and, obviously, that's how the players of Spain and Turkey have done theirs, so it just seemed to me that their bidding corroborated my memories. With 2 players acting like that it seemed more than just coincidence.

But obviously I might be wrong...;P

(in reply to JavaJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/9/2007 10:20:53 AM   
Murat

We established the 1-7 house rule because we had people bidding 100 and not caring about winning.

(in reply to Odysseus)
Post #: 10
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/9/2007 4:09:33 PM   
Panzeh

Being Spain, I did 1-7 because I didn't want to have to go any further than I had to in order to win and I didn't want to break the game by being a noob France, GB, or Russia.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 11
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/9/2007 7:11:27 PM   
therockyfroggy

To the powers of Europe I proclaim that our borders are guarded, our sea ports are garrisoned, our troops will become more and more willing to fight to create what will be a united Europe under the rule of the great state of Turkey. I have listened to many of your pleas for our help or for us to keep ourselves only at your doorsteps. I have learned from the past that making peace will only keep your troops at bay for so long...but I decree that the great and powerful Turkey will uphold the alliances that have been created, for the time being, but at any time there is even the slightest notice of an aggression toward our lands, there will be a great storm unleashed upon all who attempt to walk on our soil. Sultan James.

(in reply to Panzeh)
Post #: 12
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/10/2007 2:14:04 AM   
trw2264

There has been a mass revolt! Our group decided that a 5 day starting diplomacy period was too long and so we have been doing the setups after 3 days. As the host and Prussia I just completed my setup and sent it out. The instructions are pretty straight forward and I was able to open the game up from the game file saved in the "save folder" that the arbitrator sent out to the host, which has all the existing DOW's and all the players emails, etc and then through the game menu I imported Russia, Turkey and Austria's setups that had previously been sent to me. After completing my setup phase, which took me to the start of the Spanish setup (yes I has a momentary panic attack) I clicked on a menu button on the game screen and sent my setup to all the other players. It was all pretty easy.

Thanks,
Thomas

< Message edited by trw2264 -- 12/10/2007 7:54:48 AM >

(in reply to trw2264)
Post #: 13
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/10/2007 4:02:08 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: trw2264
There has been a mass revolt!

Glad to hear it, I've been awaiting the action with baited breath.

Jim

(in reply to trw2264)
Post #: 14
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/10/2007 7:07:42 AM   
jamo262

Oh no!

You have fish breath as well! :-)

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 15
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/11/2007 8:35:06 AM   
Alan_Bernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamo262

Oh no!

You have fish breath as well! :-)

Ha! It's another baited bated. This might be an epidemic (or endemic). :)

Alan

(in reply to jamo262)
Post #: 16
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/17/2007 12:58:55 AM   
JavaJoe

where do we stand?

Joe

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 17
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/19/2007 12:42:31 AM   
trw2264

This thread nor game is dead, just fighting through a few issues. We had an issue with a corrupted file, so we had to start the January 1805 diplomacy phase over again. Also, I feel that as a job host that I should contact others that have not submitted anything with 24 hours to make sure nothing is wrong. In this case one of the players did not receive the previous players turn.

Communication and organization are keys. At the moment I am in a total of 4 games and I have created 4 different file folders for each game and in my contacts list and I move inbox and out box emails to each of the appropriate folders. I have given nicknames to all the players in each game. For the nicknames I will put the game name and the name of the country that the player represents.

Please remember that some people are not familiar with EiA as the board game and this time of format for forwarding turns might be new to many players, so patience is key. The more people that understand and feel comfortable with the system the more players in the playing base for future games.

Thanks,
Thomas

(in reply to JavaJoe)
Post #: 18
RE: Ongoing AAR - 12/31/2007 12:30:04 AM   
bigred

If you need a replacement player or start another game, let me know.

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Ongoing AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI