Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 5:39:59 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

Air search is affected at night by moonlight. Strikes may launch and be successful under higher light levels.

Does an airborne surface search radar (such as the ASV1 on the PV-1 Ventura)enhance "light levels" for the purposes of night search and attack?

Let me get back to you on that...it has been a long time since we worked on this feature, and I don't want to put out bad info.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 12/7/2007 5:41:09 PM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 31
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 5:44:00 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hipper

Hi elf

do the brits get a functioning air to surface radar for their swordfishes - will it make a difference to night searches !

by the way Yipee !!!

cheers

We have not finished the device list yet. If the model you are referring to is in the Air OoB then it will have the device and it should be useful. From memory though the Mk.I and Mk.II are in there.

More on this later.

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 32
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:06:07 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

1. Are pilots transferable between units?

Not Specifically, but they are transferable between pools. Once in another pool they may be redrawn to other units.

Different pools?! Can you elaborate on that please?

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 33
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:06:38 PM   
treespider

I ass-u-me the Zero bonus is a thing of the past....

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 34
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:13:48 PM   
Dixie

How does tac-recon work in the game vs 'normal' strategic recon?  Are there seprate TR kites like the Hurri TRII, or is it performed by the usual suspects?  

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Hipper)
Post #: 35
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:34:54 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Yes, our new MVR ratings at different altitudes have allowed us to officially delete this pesky little forum-favorite.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 36
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:35:46 PM   
Jim D Burns

Can players now order that all damaged planes in a squadron be destroyed so they can rebase the pilots or disband them into a pilot pool? I hate it when the last air support squad of a tiny base force gets disabled and I’m unable to then evacuate air squadrons because their last damaged plane or two cannot be repaired anymore.

Also are carrier squadron fragments created on another CV or land bases after a battle now convertible to the core squadron when the carrier sinks? If not, can they at least draw replacement air frames now?

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 12/7/2007 6:44:53 PM >

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 37
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:36:28 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

Yes, our new MVR ratings at different altitudes have allowed us to officially delete this pesky little forum-favorite.

So, how does this explain the inability for the Allies to successfully combat the Zero at the beginning of the war? Low experience levels?

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 38
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:38:04 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

How does tac-recon work in the game vs 'normal' strategic recon? Are there seprate TR kites like the Hurri TRII, or is it performed by the usual suspects?

Again, I will defer to my OoB maven as this is his little baby. So far Tac Recon will operate the same way that normal recon does except they may also be given fighter missions where applicable.

There are other possible features here that are on the table, but I do not want to speculate as to the final form at this time. The important thing was to make the OoB accurate to avoid future restarts, and expand where necessary in later patches.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 39
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:39:45 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

So, how does this explain the inability for the Allies to successfully combat the Zero at the beginning of the war? Low experience levels?

Yes that will be part of it. Superior numbers and range should do the rest. It will be up to the player to destroy the early war Allied Air forces, not some hard code.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 40
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:39:56 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

Hi, I'm Chez and I have helped with the aircraft data and play testing.

The Zero bonus is a thing of the past. Many of the bonuses and penalties for various aircraft have been removed. For example, the P-39 no longer has a penalty depending on altitude.

Aircraft now have seperate maneuverability ratings based on altitude bands. So aircraft that did not have superchargers or turbochargers are going to have their performance degraded as altitude goes up, especially above 20,000ft.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 41
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:42:57 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
Aircraft now have seperate maneuverability ratings based on altitude bands. So aircraft that did not have superchargers or turbochargers are going to have their performance degraded as altitude goes up, especially above 20,000ft.

Hi Chez,

Do extreme maneuver rating differences still prevent planes from shooting back even though they are being shot at dozens of times?

Are there now ammo limits for air to air combats?

Jim

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 42
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:43:31 PM   
ctangus

Is there anything additional done to limit torpedo availability for IJN level bombers? In a similar vein, anything done to limit USAAF 4E effectiveness on naval attack?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 43
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:45:12 PM   
Grotius

How wide are these "altitude bands"? And if you set Zero CAP to, say, 15,000 feet, will they all fly at that altitude, or will some of the "scrambling" Zeroes be at a lower altitude?

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 44
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:47:42 PM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not Specifically, but they are transferable between pools. Once in another pool they may be redrawn to other units.

There are several pools where named pilots may reside. They are:

1. The TrainED Pilot pool: These are green horns fresh out of flight school and ready for their first combat assignment.

2. The Reserve Pilot pool: These are pilots that have spent at least one day in an operational unit AND have been:

- Orphaned by some cataclysm (CV sinking, Destroyed air unit)
- Unit disbanded and pilots sent to reserve pool
- Rotated out automatically
- Selectively rotated by the player

3. The TrainING Pool: This is the equivalent of the current Pilot pool where new recruits are being trained at varying schools. They are represented as in "classes" each class is at a different stage of training and thus has differing current EXP level. YOU MAY DRAW PILOTS TO COMBAT UNITS FROM THIS POOL. But you can imagine what that means...

Edit: Pilots in the TrainING pool are not named until they finish training or are drawn into an operational unit.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 12/7/2007 8:38:22 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 45
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:51:00 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

How wide are these "altitude bands"? And if you set Zero CAP to, say, 15,000 feet, will they all fly at that altitude, or will some of the "scrambling" Zeroes be at a lower altitude?

I will say that there are 5 bands and they are divided into key levels.

0-10k', 10-15k, 15-20k', 20-30k', and 30k'+

yes some of the scrambles MAY not make it to altitude. Depends on a host of other logical variables.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 46
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:52:39 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are several pools where named pilots may reside. They are:

1. The TrainED Pilot pool: These are green horns fresh out of flight school and ready for their first combat assignment.

2. The Reserve Pilot pool: These are pilots that have spent at least one day in an operational unit AND have been:

- Orphaned by some cataclysm (CV sinking, Destroyed air unit)
- Unit disbanded and pilots sent to reserve pool
- Rotated out automatically
- Selectively rotated by the player

3. The TrainING Pool: This is the equivalent of the current Pilot pool where new recruits are being trained at varying schools. They are represented as in "classes" each class is at a different stage of training and thus has differing current EXP level. YOU MAY DRAW PILOTS TO COMBAT UNITS FROM THIS POOL. But you can imagine what that means...

Ahh, thanks. If we want to add a pilot, will we decide which pool he comes from? Also, it sounds like we'll only be able to pull pilots from the training pool when it is 0.

Hmm, taking it a bit further, will we actually choose which pilot comes from the reserve pool, or is it random from within the pool.

Will the training pool ever have a specific number of pilots showing, or is it always 0?

Thanks.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 47
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:53:45 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

Is there anything additional done to limit torpedo availability for IJN level bombers? In a similar vein, anything done to limit USAAF 4E effectiveness on naval attack?

Torpedo equipped planes require sufficient level of supply at a land base, otherwise they will use bombs at extended range.

Naval Attack by 4E bombers has been fairly ineffective from the start, but we did address it further in that units that want to "specialize" in Naval attack will have to train up their Low Naval Attack skill. See my post on pg.1 re: skill sets.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 48
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:58:43 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

Hi Chez,

Do extreme maneuver rating differences still prevent planes from shooting back even though they are being shot at dozens of times?

Are there now ammo limits for air to air combats?

Jim

I was mainly involved in researching and inputting Japanese Army and Navy aircraft data so cannot speak to the exact mechanics.

While there are no ammo limits per se, you will see aircraft departing combat due to low ammo during combat. Someone may be able to speak of the exact mechanic of how this is determined but a single aircraft won't be able to engage dozens of times.

Even the worst rated aircraft will have a percentage chance to get a shot at a superior aircraft. The greater the difference, the less the chance assuming all other factors are equal.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 49
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 6:59:40 PM   
TheElf

quote:

Ahh, thanks. If we want to add a pilot, will we decide which pool he comes from? Also, it sounds like we'll only be able to pull pilots from the training pool when it is 0.

When drawing pilots they will be randomly drawn from the pool you choose to the Air Unit. However the Reserve Pool will typically have veterans in it. If you want a rookie you draw him from the TrainED Pool.
quote:

Hmm, taking it a bit further, will we actually choose which pilot comes from the reserve pool, or is it random from within the pool.

Random.

quote:

Will the training pool ever have a specific number of pilots showing, or is it always 0?

You will be able to view the TrainING Pool. It will show several "classes" ordered lowest to highest AVG EXP and how many pilots are currently in it. When you draw from this pool you draw from the most senior class first.

< Message edited by TheElf -- 12/7/2007 8:40:53 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 50
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:01:05 PM   
Brady

1) Can players slect ordance loads for aircraft or is handled the same as before, whear torp bombers had to cary torps on naval strikes?

2) Is the hard code still in place alowing Allied bombers to throw big bombs aganst ships, and not alow the Japanese the same consideration?

3) Does altitude efect planes that had no oxigen suply like the P-400 to operate over a specific height?

4) How is the relaitive servicabality of a plane determined, as noted elsewhear some planes will be harder to service than other's, some planes like the P-40 were noted as very hard to service, while the Zero was noted for being very reliable, is this represented? Also some weapons were notiriously unreliable, like the 20mm Hispanos onm the P-38's and heldivers, are thiese part of the reliabality isues?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 51
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:03:38 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

You will be able to view the training pool. It will show several "classes" ordered lowest to highest AVG EXP and how many pilots are currently in it. When you draw from this pool you draw from the most senior class first.

OMG. I'm in heaven. Taking this a bit further, are new classes added periodically? This expansion is getting better and better.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 52
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:04:33 PM   
Brady

Also:

1) Do Japanese plane's have their search radars modeled, MAD gear is in game as well.

2) How if at all has night time aircombate been efected, do you still nead a frendly sub in a hex to triger a night naval atack?

3) Has the porely constructed Japanese piolet pool been redone with more an eye to historical acuracery?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 53
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:10:29 PM   
TheElf

A quick word on scope.

We had a lot of items we wanted to get in. However if we tried to do EVERYTHING we wanted to we'd NEVER finish. So from now on when I say "OTS" I am saying this was Outside The Scope of this project.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 54
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:22:47 PM   
TheElf

ORIGINAL: Brady

quote:

1) Can players slect ordance loads for aircraft or is handled the same as before, whear torp bombers had to cary torps on naval strikes?

Same as is ever was (SAIEW)
quote:

2) Is the hard code still in place alowing Allied bombers to throw big bombs aganst ships, and not alow the Japanese the same consideration?

(SAIEW)

quote:

3) Does altitude efect planes that had no oxigen suply like the P-400 to operate over a specific height?

It won't affect their MVR, but it WILL affect their Max Altitude
quote:

4) How is the relaitive servicabality of a plane determined, as noted elsewhear some planes will be harder to service than other's, some planes like the P-40 were noted as very hard to service, while the Zero was noted for being very reliable, is this represented? Also some weapons were notiriously unreliable, like the 20mm Hispanos onm the P-38's and heldivers, are thiese part of the reliabality isues?

Service Rating are determined by Number, type of engines, and documented reputations for reliability and ease of maintenance.

Radials are generally easier to maintain than inlines. 4E A/C have 4 engines to maintain etc...

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 55
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:25:11 PM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

You will be able to view the training pool. It will show several "classes" ordered lowest to highest AVG EXP and how many pilots are currently in it. When you draw from this pool you draw from the most senior class first.

OMG. I'm in heaven. Taking this a bit further, are new classes added periodically? This expansion is getting better and better.

Yes they are. The classes are on a 12 month curriculum. When one graduates a new one takes it's place in "ground school".

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 56
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:27:57 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes they are. The classes are on a 12 month curriculum. When one graduates a new one takes it's place in "ground school".

So basically, there is a limit to the number of "pilots" you can remove from the training school, right? Also, can you throw out a couple of numbers as to the class sizes? Will the new classes increase in size as the war continues and the Japanese realize their pilot shortage?

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 57
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:32:33 PM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So basically, there is a limit to the number of "pilots" you can remove from the training school, right? Also, can you throw out a couple of numbers as to the class sizes? Will the new classes increase in size as the war continues and the Japanese realize their pilot shortage?

These are great questions, but we are still finalizing OoBs. Suffice it to say that they will be as close to historical as we can make them.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 58
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 7:40:35 PM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

quote:

3. CAP relies on detection of a raid. The tpye of a/c and the raids speed will give a time til target which will be checked against by the CAP's Rate of climb. This among other things will determine how successful the CAP is getting into a postion to attack effectively. Obviously Radar will help with "First Detection".

Does this mean that the "every CAP squadron attacks every bomber squadron" mechanic has been revised? That alone would have a huge impact on uber-CAP

Yes it has.

quote:

New Question - I've recently been reading Morrison's books on the Phillipines and Okinawa. It seems the Kamikazes were much more effective near land masses which degraded the RADAR coverage of the fleet. Will RADAR performance be degraded near land, i.e. coastal hexes?

OTS. Kamikazes have not been touched. Read some AAR's later in the war, they work. One thing we did that may help is alter AAA so that during attacks only AAA in the quadrant being approached may fire.

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 59
RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread - 12/7/2007 8:05:05 PM   
Brady

Are all clases on a 12 month rotation? Because they were not all on a 12 month rotation, does the game for example show how the Japanese ramped up their piolet traning during the war, and thier was not the mythical shortage of piolets as we see represented in WiTP.

NIght- is it same or has some love been show to this aspect of the game? Do you still nead a sub to triger an atack at night by a plane on an enemy ship?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Air War Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI