Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Letters from Iwo Jima

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:13:50 AM   
Sarge

Arlington National Cemetery and Yasukuni Jinja: History, Memory, and the Sacred

quote:

Arlington National Cemetery and Yasukuni Jinja (The Shrine of the Peaceful Land) are symbols of the histories of the United States of America and Japan. Arlington National Cemetery and Yasukuni Jinja have a common purpose--to honor the war dead--but the two are very different. Arlington National Cemetery, which was created in controversy, is today is a place of peaceful repose. Yasukuni Jinja had very dignified origins, yet now is embroiled in disputes.

The “Yasukuni Problem” (Japanese remorse for its actions in World War II and the survival of militarism), continuing war-related litigation, and territorial conflicts with China and Korea whose roots also lie in earlier wars all remain issues in 2005. In the U.S., World War II, but not Arlington National Cemetery, was the subject of intense debate in 1995 and 2003 over the “Enola Gay” exhibit at the Smithsonian on the 50th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the end of World War II. However, American debates hardly compare to the ferocity and protracted character of the war-related issues that continue to stalk Japan.

Arlington National Cemetery, in Washington, D.C., grew from the bitter circumstances of the American Civil War, 1861-1865. Some of the early fighting of the war was very close to Washington, D.C., and Arlington, an estate owned by Mary Anna Custis Lee, the wife of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, was near the battle sites. Union Army officials confiscated the estate and used the land as a hastily improvised military graveyard, in effect punishing Lee for his role in the Civil War. After the war, Custis Lee, Robert E. Lee’s son, successfully sued the federal government for the loss of the family estate. The federal government established Arlington National Cemetery in 1883.

Yasukuni Jinja, located on Kudan Hill in Tokyo, was created as a Shinto religious shrine in 1869 to honor soldiers who fought in a civil war to bring the Emperor Meiji to power in 1868. The formal title of “Yasukuni Jinja (The Shrine of the Peaceful Land) was bestowed in 1879 to proclaim that Japan was at peace because of the sacrifice of its war dead. Those enshrined are revered as deities, i.e. kami, “noble gods.” Honors were extended beyond military personnel to include civilians who worked for the military and women and children who died in certain war-related circumstances.

Established with elaborate imperial and Shinto ceremonies, Yasukuni Jinja became a major national institution as Japan fought in the first Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895), the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905), World War I , the Manchurian Incident (1931) and then the second Sino-Japanese War and World War II, known in Japan as the Greater East Asian War (1937-45). Yasukuni Jinja was revered as the site honoring Japan’s military who gave their lives in the service of the emperor. The names, rank and places of death of fallen veterans and others to be honored were preserved for veneration. Yasukuni Jinja today is controversial because of its close association with the monarchy, and particularly with the wars fought in the name of the emperor. Above all, the fact that fourteen Class A war criminals, and numerous Class B and C war criminals, have been enshrined as gods at Yasukuni Jinja is a source of anger to Chinese and Koreans. Chinese casualties in the Fifteen Year War (1931-45), are estimated to be ten to twenty million or more, while Korea experienced half a century of harsh Japanese colonial rule.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 601
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:33:48 AM   
Sarge

Contest to kill 100 people using a sword

The contest to kill 100 people using a sword was a series of newspaper stories about a "contest" between two Japanese Army officers during the Japanese invasion of China. The contest was supposedly over which of them would first kill 100 people with his sword.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 602
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:45:20 AM   
Sarge

Funny how the government of Japan have offered up apologies every VJ day for the atrocities their military inflicted on millions.

But Ike some how thinks that a few cherry picked accounts dismisses everything

Nothing better then a self appointed historian

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 603
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:45:29 AM   
morvwilson

Ike,

Cruelty on the battle field I think should be expected. After all, the idea is to kill the enemy.

Looting dead enemy soldiers? That is something that dates to the beginning of warfare. And since we are talking about people, and no two are alike, some will be more macabe than others. Again, this is to be expected.

Killing wounded enemy soldiers on the Kakoda trail? The Kakoda trail was a foot path that ran from Buna on the north side of the island to Port Moresby on the south side. Rough, steep mountainous terrain, the only way to bring out wounded was by stretcher bearers. How enthusiastic would you be about carrying out a wounded enemy soldier that may have just killed your best freind? Try reading Bill Mauldin's book Up Front, Henry Holt & Co. Inc. 1945.

The major difference you seem to be avoiding here Ike, is how were prisoners treated after they were out of the combat area?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by morvwilson -- 12/8/2007 6:46:53 AM >

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 604
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:47:18 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

Ike,

Cruelty on the battle field I think should be expected. After all, the idea is to kill the enemy.

That’s just barbaric , you Yankee dog

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 605
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:50:29 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Contest to kill 100 people using a sword

The contest to kill 100 people using a sword was a series of newspaper stories about a "contest" between two Japanese Army officers during the Japanese invasion of China. The contest was supposedly over which of them would first kill 100 people with his sword.

Did I say Japanese soldiers didn´t commit atrocities in the Pacific War against the Allies? No. Of course they did. Commonly no doubt. But I also see the Allies commited many, many atrocities in the Pacific War against the Japanese and it was also very common.

It was the nature of the Pacific War. The two sides really despised each other right down to the racial level.

So to all those who say ¨our boys¨ didn´t do that, ¨isolated case here and there¨ and other such revisionist dribble do not have the true historical picture of the Pacific War and the way it was fought.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 606
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:59:02 AM   
Ike99

quote:

The major difference you seem to be avoiding here Ike, is how were prisoners treated after they were out of the combat area?

What?

You mean like throwing them out of planes over New Guinea saying they were trying to escape? That´s actually on a report by the way.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 607
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 7:12:45 AM   
KG Erwin

So, I take it that NOBODY plays as the Japanese in any wargames? And, if you did, would you admit to it in this thread?

And, for those of you who actually watched "Letters", you couldn't find a single sympathetic Japanese character in the entire film? Not even Saigo?

What about Kuribayashi? Did he not adhere to the concepts of Bushido or "The Code of the Samurai", as they were originally intended?

It is easy to see how a code of behavior can be corrupted by evil regimes, as it has happened frequently in the past and still happens today. The corruption isn't limited by race or creed or nationality.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/8/2007 7:35:16 AM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 608
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 7:56:09 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Yep, the poor Japanese were such swell guys

Too bad any movie that portrayed them as they really were would be worse than the most graphic slasher film imaginable.

a Marine who had already collected seventeen
gold teeth, the last from a Japanese soldier on Saipan who
was wounded and still moving his hands. Sledge, in his
memoir of Peleliu and Okinawa, records an even more
excruciating scene of a wounded Japanese thrashing on
the ground as a Marine slit his cheeks open and carved
his gold-crowned teeth out with akabar....

"War Without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War"

Or how about this?...decorating your tanks with the severed heads of Japanese. Did you see much of this in ¨Victory at Sea¨?

Yeah I think we have a pretty good understanding of how the Allied soldiers were behaving in the Pacific.

(I censored this picture a bit mods but if it´s still too graphic feel free to pull it.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 609
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:34:50 AM   
Bloodybucket28th

Wow, I'm enlightened now.  Because individuals in mortal combat commit acts of cruelty and the images are ugly, the actions, goals and conduct of all governments are all equal.  GIs and Tommies in Europe shot surrending Germans and laughed, so we are all as bad as the Nazis.  Marines used body parts as trophies, so democracy is the same as any old military dictatorship. 

This sort of moral relativism works best when the despotic force is safely vanquished by the repulsive acts of soldiers who are thrust in the worst kind of nightmare imaginable and are expected to behave like saintly robots in the comfortable hindsight of we who know better. 

Yeah, every form of government is the same.  Thanks a lot for clearing that up.   

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 610
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:50:36 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

This sort of moral relativism works best when the despotic force is safely vanquished by the repulsive acts of soldiers who are thrust in the worst kind of nightmare imaginable and are expected to behave like saintly robots in the comfortable hindsight of we who know better. 

BloodyBrilliant.

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 611
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:55:37 AM   
KG Erwin

To Ike99: yeah, this stuff happened, and I'm not a denier. When I play SPWaW (and I usually play as the USMC), I get a peculiar pleasure out of destroying what was THEN considered to be the evil Japanese. I keep in mind what happened to the Goettge patrol on Guadalcanal, the Bataan Death March, Wake Island, Guam and Pearl Harbor. To a Marine of that time, it WAS personal.

Put me in the virtual time machine of gaming, and I have no objections to burning to death and blasting to bits the defenders of that truly evil empire.

However, as a modern world citizen, I don't hold those prejudices. Context is everything. I feel sorry for folks who still cling to those long-ago hatreds.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/8/2007 9:00:04 AM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 612
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 9:11:45 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

So, I take it that NOBODY plays as the Japanese in any wargames? And, if you did, would you admit to it in this thread?

And, for those of you who actually watched "Letters", you couldn't find a single sympathetic Japanese character in the entire film? Not even Saigo?

What about Kuribayashi? Did he not adhere to the concepts of Bushido or "The Code of the Samurai", as they were originally intended?

It is easy to see how a code of behavior can be corrupted by evil regimes, as it has happened frequently in the past and still happens today. The corruption isn't limited by race or creed or nationality.

I say this with no animosity and with complete sincerity: What are you driving at here? It all seems unrelated but I'll gladly respond to each point.

Personally I've never been able to play as the Japanese in a wargame. It's not only because the thought may be abhorrent, it's also because of their military doctrine. I have a hard time playing as Germany against the Allies as well. No problem playing Germany against the Soviets. There though, it's much more that Soviet military doctrine is totally unappealing to me. Simply put, I'd much rather sink the Akagi or the Kiev than the Enterprise.

I found all the Japanese characters sympathetic in "Letters".

Sure, we're all capable of some pretty bad things but there are so many checks on us, and so many are so sensitive of anything that comes within calling distance of fascism, I don't see it happening without an apocalyptic event. Not at least on anything like the scale of WW2. I can't really go into detail here without delving in areas strictly verbotten at this site.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 613
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 12:23:52 PM   
Arctic Blast

Aaaah, after another long night at work, I see this thread is still going, spinning endlessly in circles. Now, I'm going to be a bit presumptuous, and speak for everyone else for a moment...

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH! WHY WON'T IT DIE!?!?!?!

Ahem...there. All done. Continue with your pointless spinning, all.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 614
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 2:09:39 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Aaaah, after another long night at work, I see this thread is still going, spinning endlessly in circles. Now, I'm going to be a bit presumptuous, and speak for everyone else for a moment...

Don’t like the subject matter then why click on ?

And to boot , feel the need to inform everyone ?

X2

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 615
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 2:55:50 PM   
Sarge

quote:

To Ike99: yeah, this stuff happened, and I'm not a denier. When I play SPWaW (and I usually play as the USMC), I get a peculiar pleasure out of destroying what was THEN considered to be the evil Japanese. I keep in mind what happened to the Goettge patrol on Guadalcanal, the Bataan Death March, Wake Island, Guam and Pearl Harbor. To a Marine of that time, it WAS personal.

Your not a denier because you can relate due to your experiences playing a video game.

quote:

This thread is on the downward slope to the inevitable locking up.

quote:

I'll leave you to your delusions. I'm outta here.

quote:

See ya later.

quote:

Enjoy enshrouding yourself with hatred. I'm moving on.

PS: I thought you left

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 616
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 5:15:41 PM   
Ike99

quote:

KG Erwin -Aaaah, after another long night at work, I see this thread is still going, spinning

endlessly in circles. Now, I'm going to be a bit presumptuous, and speak for everyone else for a

moment...

Pointless you say? I wouldn´t say that.

We went from presenting the Allied soldier as a saintly, wholesome crusader fighting against the evil, cruel, barbaric Jap soldier, all beginning on post 4 without objection I might add to.... (after a mountain of evidence)

Yeah ¨OK¨, we did a lot of bad, cruel, barbaric things ourselves but it was ¨understandable¨ under the situation.¨

So you see this thread is making progress. It´s like pulling teeth but it´s moving along.

Maybe in another 500 post we can get some to admit it was actually ¨wrong¨ and ¨not understandable¨ to cut teeth out of live Japanese soldiers, kill wounded Japanese soldiers commonly, send heads home to their girlfriends, etc., etc. Doubtful, but you never know.

quote:

Sarge -PS: I thought you left

Yeah, so did I.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 617
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:11:56 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

Did I say Japanese soldiers didn´t commit atrocities in the Pacific War against the Allies? No. Of course they did. Commonly no doubt. But I also see the Allies commited many, many atrocities in the Pacific War against the Japanese and it was also very common.

It was the nature of the Pacific War. The two sides really despised each other right down to the racial level.

So to all those who say ¨our boys¨ didn´t do that, ¨isolated case here and there¨ and other such revisionist dribble do not have the true historical picture of the Pacific War and the way it was fought.

Ok, I will be the one to sound off that American GI’s did nothing even remotely in the same context as these animals.

Putting the photo of the courageous Japanese soldiers in the headlines and telling the tail of a contest as who could kill 100 civilians the fastest with a sword .

That kind of sums up the mentality of the Japanese military and barbaric government of the war years.

Your transparent deliberately attempts to take out of context who Japans victims where a insert the American GI’s is hardlly going to “get some ” to forget the reality of Japans barbaric military acts during WWII .

Keep trying for that default win if you wish, but I am not going away

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sarge -- 12/8/2007 6:15:20 PM >

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 618
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 6:39:15 PM   
morvwilson

Ike, you seem to have trouble with scale. Comparing the actions of a few individuals in the west with the way Imperial Japanese military acted as an istitution just does not wash. It is like comparing me to a herion junkie because I drink a beer or two in a week.

It appears to me that you are either incapable or unwilling to recognize that evil did exist then as it does now.

Personally, for me in a war game, I'll play any side. (It is only a game after all) Of course I do have preferences in certain games.

For instance, I refuse to play Japan in Empire at Arms!

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 619
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 7:52:49 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Ok, I will be the one to sound off that American GI’s did nothing even remotely in the same context as these animals.

These animals? Pretty much sums up your attitude yes Sarge?

I´ve yet to see one picture or one story of Japanese troops sending heads of Marines home to their family members or decorating their military equiptment with such. Would you like to produce one?

Something that was very common among the American soldiers, so much so the customs office of the United states became concerned with as so many body parts of Japanese were being shipped into the US by the soldiers.

The President of the US even had a piece of Japanese bone sent to him to use as a letter opener.

Barbaric, cruel, disgusting, morbid and transparent racism. That kind of sums up the mentality of the US military and US government of the war years as regards to Japan doesn´t it?

It´s kind of obvious Sarge, it stares one in the face no matter how hard you try to hide it behind a shield of rightchousness.

quote:

Your transparent deliberately attempts to take out of context who Japans victims where a insert the American GI’s is hardlly going to “get some ” to forget the reality of Japans barbaric military acts during WWII.

Am I trying to ¨get some¨ to forget atrocities commited by Japanese to Allied? I think clearly not considered I´ve said yeah they happened, commonly. What are you doing? Trying to minimize, excuse or simply deny those commited by the Allies against the Japanese.

Your using a logic something along the lines of...Japanese went into a village and killed 10 American POW´s. Americans went into a village and killed 9 Japanese POW´s. Therefore the American actions were ¨OK¨/¨Didn´t happen¨ and the Japanese were not/did happen. Ehhh...sorry, doesn´t work like that. Not from a legal neither a moral point of view.

Yes I saw both ¨Flags¨ and ¨Letters¨ Someone asked me that, can´t remember who but yeah I saw them.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 620
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:10:00 PM   
morvwilson

quote:

I´ve yet to see one picture or one story of Japanese troops sending heads of Marines home to their family members or decorating their military equiptment with such. Would you like to produce one?

Yes I saw both ¨Flags¨ and ¨Letters¨ Someone asked me that, can´t remember who but yeah I saw them.

In the first part of this quote you show why I think you need to read more. First off, Imperial Japan had a hard enough time keeping their troops supplied. Running personal packages for private soldiers was not possible for them.
Also, the attitude of the Imperial Japanese soldier was that his equipment was a gift from the emperor himself and therefor had to be treated with the utmost respect. An example of this I read in a book by a Japanese american that was in Japan when the war started and got drafted into the Japanese army and sent to China. American troops will sometimes sit on their helmets or use them for digging. Japanese soldiers would never do this because it was disrespectful to the emperor's gift.

I am the one who asked you abuot "Letters". Did you like the movie? (I was post #3)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 621
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:23:07 PM   
Doggie

quote:

Nah, I always play as the Americans. And I turn off the sound and make up my own sound effects - Whooosh, whoosh! Eat napalm ya dirty nips!!! You don't look so bad, Tojo, have another burst of made in America .45 ACP! Ratatatatat!!!

quote:

Nope. For me, the "feel good moment" was when one of Saigo's pals got crisp fried to a crackly crunch by the jarhead with the flamer. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

quote:

Good for you. You actually get it. Now all you need is 13 weeks of boot camp and you'll have earned the right to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 622
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:26:20 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

quote:

In the first part of this quote you show why I think you need to read more. First off, Imperial Japan had a hard enough time keeping their troops supplied. Running personal packages for private soldiers was not possible for them.

Aw, you beat me to that one, Morv. It's kind of like saying Swedish people are more moral than everyone else because they groveled before the Nazis instead of standing up to them.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 623
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:43:38 PM   
Doggie

quote:

But I also see the Allies commited many, many atrocities in the Pacific War against the Japanese and it was also very common.

Ike, ya gotta learn to play to your audience. You need to specify that it was the Americans who were filthy evil racists, and not "the allies". The allies in world war II included Australia, Great Britain, and even the Dutch. Note how the other Axis fans blame the United States for the British firebombing raids on Hamburg and Dresden. The general rule here is slagging the United States is kosher, but dissing Europeans is offensive and "racist'. Get it?

quote:

No, no, no. The one side, the Americans despised the Japanese, based soley on their race. The British, Austrailians, and Dutch did everything by the Geneva conventions and were only slightly less moral than the Swedes. Stick to that and you'll be a lot more popular with the other Axis fans.

I hope these tips help you out.

quote:

Because it seems to be the most interesting thread here. Like it or not, it's popular. Though I can understand why some Axis fans want to kill it, seeing as how the fanbois are getting their heads handed to them. "Lock the thread, lock the thread!!!" is the usual response when the "intellectuals" are circling the drain.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 624
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 8:59:49 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBloodyBucket

Wow, I'm enlightened now.  Because individuals in mortal combat commit acts of cruelty and the images are ugly, the actions, goals and conduct of all governments are all equal.  GIs and Tommies in Europe shot surrending Germans and laughed, so we are all as bad as the Nazis.  Marines used body parts as trophies, so democracy is the same as any old military dictatorship. 

Yeah, every form of government is the same.  Thanks a lot for clearing that up.   

Excellent!

(in reply to Bloodybucket28th)
Post #: 625
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 9:41:59 PM   
Ike99

quote:

ORANGE-I would like to see the proof of these alleged widespread atrocities of Allied Troops in the Pacific theatre.

Where were these widespread killings of POWS? And what do you mean by widespread? Do you mean that one POW was killed in the Aleutians and one killed in Borneo so that they were widespread spatially? Or did one occur in 1941 and another in 1945 so they were widespread chronologically?

Yeah, your getting a real history lesson now eh ORANGE? Didn´t see all this stuff in your history book I´d bet.

"What kind of war do civilians suppose we fought, anyway? We shot prisoners in cold blood, wiped out hospitals, strafed lifeboats, killed or mistreated enemy civilians, finished off for the enemy wounded, tossed the dying into a hole with the dead, and in the Pacific boiled the flesh off enemy skull to make table ornaments for sweethearts or carved their bones into letter openers."

Edger L. , Jones, a former American war correspondent in the Pacific as published in February 1946 issue of Atlantic Monthly pg64.

a young American soldier on Okinawa, who "snatched up a submachine gun and unforgivably massacred a line of unarmed Japanese soldiers who had just surrendered."

William Manchester, Goodbye, Darkness, his 1980 memoir of fighting in the Pacific

Professor E.B. Sledge, an American biologist, painfully recalled .....:severing the hand of a dead Japanese as a battlefield trophy, "harvesting gold teeth" from the enemy dead, urinating in a corpse's upturned mouth, shooting a terrified old Okinawan woman and casually dismissing her as "just an old gook woman who wanted me to put her out of her misery".More terrifying still, Sledge found himself coming close to accepting such conduct as normal.

Memoir published by Presidia Press in 1981

A month later, on June 21, he summarized the conversation of an American general who told an unsuspecting Japanese prisoner was given a cigarette and then seized from behind and has his throat "slit from ear to ear" as a demonstration of how to kill Japanese. ¨Our men think nothing of shooting a Japanese prisoner attempting to surrender.¨

Lindbergh, American aviation pioneer in his memoirs with the US Marines in the Pacific.

...wounded Japanese attempting to surrender were ordered shot by the American commander.

Denis Warner, passing his own firsthand experience on Bougainville.

There you go Sarge. Start Spinning.

I´m thinking this story didn´t make it into LIFE magazine along with those demonizing the Japanese and skull pictures....

On the 22nd of August the camp commander held a speech in the Indonesian language which I could understand. He told us that the Emperor of Japan had the pleasure in telling us that he had decided to end the war.

However after a couple of weeks the Muslim Militia was infiltrating the area. They were forcing the Indonesian population to stop helping us. In those days these Militia were called extremists or permoeda’s, nationalists, T.K.R. Indo’s etc.

The Japanese under the command of Major KIDO fought shoulder to shoulder with the British against the Indonesian uprising. The seven camps in and around Ambarawa were attacked by thousands of Idonesian rebels which prevented any food transport. This is all described in Wing Commander T.S. TULL’S report.

After sixty years I still remember all the good people who were so friendly to us. The local Indonesian population, the british soldiers and ghurka's, the british sailers and last last but not least the german POW's. Even the Japenese commander had a weak moment when he gave me a biscuit.

These were my experiences of the Pacific War.

J.E.H. Rijkee prisoner of the Japanese 4 years.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 626
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/8/2007 10:19:31 PM   
mjk428

quote:

I´m thinking this story didn´t make it into LIFE magazine along with those demonizing the Japanese and skull pictures....

On the 22nd of August the camp commander held a speech in the Indonesian language which I could understand. He told us that the Emperor of Japan had the pleasure in telling us that he had decided to end the war.

However after a couple of weeks the Muslim Militia was infiltrating the area. They were forcing the Indonesian population to stop helping us. In those days these Militia were called extremists or permoeda’s, nationalists, T.K.R. Indo’s etc.

The Japanese under the command of Major KIDO fought shoulder to shoulder with the British against the Indonesian uprising. The seven camps in and around Ambarawa were attacked by thousands of Idonesian rebels which prevented any food transport. This is all described in Wing Commander T.S. TULL’S report.

After sixty years I still remember all the good people who were so friendly to us. The local Indonesian population, the british soldiers and ghurka's, the british sailers and last last but not least the german POW's. Even the Japenese commander had a weak moment when he gave me a biscuit.

These were my experiences of the Pacific War.

J.E.H. Rijkee prisoner of the Japanese 4 years.

Nice cherry picking there Ike. I hope you realize that even when you don't show the courtesy of providing a link, everybody else has Google too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/69/a4180169.shtml

Here's a bit you left out from this poor woman's dispassionate accounting of some of her experiences:

quote:

The lightest but most frightening job was sweeping the Japanese quarters near the gate. Not only were the Dutch inmates punished there but also Indonesians from outside the camp.

One day while I was sweeping, two Japanese were beating an Indonesian gentleman with bamboo sticks. When the blood was pouring out of his mouth one Japanese got an old food tin to collect the blood. They then forced the man to drink his own blood.

Another time when I was sweeping the Japanese Commander’s bedroom, he came rushing in and ushered me outside pointing to a high flying British or U.S. war plane. He then forced me to hide under his bed. I suppose he wanted to convince me that the plane was the real enemy.
When I finished cleaning his bedroom he gave me a biscuit.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 627
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/9/2007 1:09:00 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Nice cherry picking there Ike.

Cherry pick? No one on this entire thread has denied Japanese soldiers committed atrocities in the Pacific. What is in dispute (to some) is if the Allies committed atrocities just a savage and criminal and if it was widespead or not.

Cherry picking? The entire US history of the war in the Pacific is Cherry Picked!

Was interesting how a story showing the Japanese as having some ¨human Characteristics¨ didn´t see the light of day until 60 years after the war no?

No doubt there are many, many such stories that have been buried underneath all the demonizing and stereo typing of Japanese soldiers into fanatical, murdering beast.

The whole time of course painting the Allied soldiers as snow white holy crusaders.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 628
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/9/2007 1:14:12 AM   
freeboy

seems u are angry.. I wonder if the Japaneese should be required to teach history of WW2 that shows them as instigators?

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 629
RE: Letters from Iwo Jima - 12/9/2007 1:22:44 AM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

These animals? Pretty much sums up your attitude yes Sarge?

Why am I not suppressed that you take no issue with two Japans soldiers holding a contest that the end result is 200 dead civilians.

Never mind the mindset that posted this heroic act on Japans front page .

Your starting to make this easy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Letters from Iwo Jima Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 [21] 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI