Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reinforcement Phase

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Reinforcement Phase Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reinforcement Phase - 12/14/2007 8:24:43 PM   
ess1

Appreciate info on what I am doing wrong. I cannot add any of infantry shown. Appreciate that Leaders have a date of arrival but I cannot see anything for infantry. Indeed, I can't understand what most of the icons are showing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/14/2007 8:49:02 PM   
Suvorov928

If you do not place the Corps at the start of the game, then you have to purchase the Corps counter during your Economic Phase.  During you Econ Phase, click on the same button to bring you to this same screnn, then click the Corps counters you wish to purchase.  You will have to pay $1 for each one you buy.  You then have 3 months to place them, or they will have to be re purchased during the next Economic Phase again.

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 2
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/14/2007 9:10:44 PM   
nappy

Yup this is something I keep forgetting to do - buy Corps. This becomes a big D'Oh if its a cavalry, Arty or Guard Corps an dif you dont have it when the troops arrive then ..   

V

(in reply to Suvorov928)
Post #: 3
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 12:34:40 AM   
Murat

OK Let's look at the Third Corps here (III). It shows what it can hold. In this case I> 0/14 M> 0/14. You may also see H (heavy ships) L (Light Ships) G (Guard factors) C (Cavalry factors) or A (Artillery factors). Each nation is different, some do not get units (only France and Russia get A and they have to buy them) some can hold more than others. What a corp is, can be thought of as a way of organizing your field army. So in this case we have the III Corps which is part of our mobile forces.

The I (infantry) and the M (militia) differ from the other types in that they count TOGETHER towards a total. So in this case the III Corps can only hold 14 units be they infantry or militia so you will have a combination like 10/4 or 7/7.

Every economic phase (every 3 motnhs) you are charged $1 for having a corp on the board, $5 if it is a fleet corp in a sea zone (as opposed to a port). Any unused counters remain in your pool until you need them, see the nice picture above. You can purchase as many counters as you have available in your pool for $1 each and they are good until the next econ phase. As has been pointed out, when the factors you purchased have arrived, you need to put them somewhere. G A C can only go in a corp. H L sit at whatever port you built them at until a ship counter comes and picks them up (or you can buy a counter and place it in the port, picking up the ships that way). I/M can be stored in your cities or on your depot markers. So if you have G A C coming up in the next 3 months and no room in the counters you have on the board, you are going to want to purchase a corp counter that phase to hold the new units that are arriving in the next 3 months.

You have a limited # of depot markers, in your case 8 (I think) which can be placed for free at the setup phase, cost $1 for every one that is out on the econ phase, and cost $1 to put on the board, although you can take them off the board for free. I always place all my depot markers on the board at the start (since they are free to pick up if I do not need them). Depots are placed every land phase, so each month.

(in reply to nappy)
Post #: 4
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 2:32:29 AM   
Irish Guards

The I (infantry) and the M (militia) differ from the other types in that they count TOGETHER towards a total. So in this case the III Corps can only hold 14 units be they infantry or militia so you will have a combination like 10/4 or 7/7.

What ... U kidding right ...
IDG

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 5
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 2:54:09 AM   
pakron

Murat is right, infantry and militia count together. That's how the board game works as well.

(in reply to Irish Guards)
Post #: 6
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 2:55:26 AM   
Irish Guards

Nay .... absolutely not ..
IDG

(in reply to pakron)
Post #: 7
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 3:00:31 AM   
Murat

Unfortunately yes it works that way now and it worked that way before.

Post #: 8
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 3:06:56 AM   
Irish Guards

Ahh ,,, Nay ..
IDG

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 9
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 3:15:43 AM   
Grognot

Just saying "Ah,,, nay.." is a meaningless -- and completely incorrect response.  Murat is right.

Have a look at corps sheets, for instance --
http://eia.xnetz.com/Forms/oob-fr.pdf
-- there's a reason why the '25' in the I Corps covers BOTH the infantry and militia boxes.   That's because, as per the original rules,

"2.4.2. 1. 1 Showing Strengths: The number in each box indicates the maximum number of ships or army factors of that type that that corps or fleet may contain. The current strength of a corps is shown by the placement of garrison/strength counters in the appropriate boxes. For this purpose, use any national or neutral infantry or militia garrison/strength counter or counters. The counters used can be of any type or nationality, as it is their strength and the box they occupy that determine their effect and what they represent. For example, a French militia counter of "3 "factors in a Russian cavalry box acts as "3 " cavalry factors, not as militia. These factors are also interchangeable (e.g., a "2" and a "1 " factor counters can be exchanged for a "3" factor counter, etc.), as with the garrison strengths (see 2.4. 1). Note that most corps for most major powers allow for a maximum number of regular infantry and/or militia factors plus an additional number of cavalry factors (plus an additional number of guard factors in some cases). "

See that 'number of regular infantry and/or militia factors'? 

Post #: 10
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 6:49:20 AM   
Irish Guards

See that 'number of regular infantry and/or militia factors'?

Yep ... 25 .. Both Inf and Mil .... French 1st Corps ...
And France is missing 3 corps .. ???
XIII to XV

Means French 1st Corps holds 50 ... + Cav ..
Are you trying to say that If this ever happens ...

Eg: What you are saying is an example ..
The actual example is ..
You are saying that mil ... even over the limits of Inf or Mil can be absorbed or transfered to the Cav ... section of the Corps ..
Nay ..
IDG

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 11
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 11:22:32 AM   
Cossaky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Irish Guards

Means French 1st Corps holds 50 ... + Cav ..
Are you trying to say that If this ever happens ...

Wow. You must have played some really interesting EiA boardgames. "And/Or" simply means you can mix and match. Austrian InF corps can hold a combination of 15 infantry/militia factors, plus a single cavalry factor.

Grognot and Murat are correct, as are the EiA game developers.

< Message edited by Cossaky -- 12/15/2007 11:23:58 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 11:32:32 AM   
ess1

Thank you all for most helpful and prompt replies.
Much appreciated.

Post #: 13
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 3:18:42 PM   
Suvorov928

Murat is correct.  A Corps can have a combo of Mil and Inf, but no more than what the total of one is.  In other words, if a Corps is shown as 10I/10M, then a Corps can hold a combination of both Inf and Mil, but cannot add up to more than 10 in total.  So it could hold 9I/1M, or 5I/5M or 2I/8M, etc.  But, it cannot hold 10I AND 10M for a total of 20 troops.

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 14
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 5:12:09 PM   
JavaJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Suvorov928

Murat is correct. A Corps can have a combo of Mil and Inf, but no more than what the total of one is. In other words, if a Corps is shown as 10I/10M, then a Corps can hold a combination of both Inf and Mil, but cannot add up to more than 10 in total. So it could hold 9I/1M, or 5I/5M or 2I/8M, etc. But, it cannot hold 10I AND 10M for a total of 20 troops.

That is correct.

Vice President Jersey Association Of Gamers
JerseyGamers.com

(in reply to Suvorov928)
Post #: 15
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 6:37:59 PM   
joviel

Is there a way during the economic and reinforcement phases to see upcoming reinforcements?  This would help players buy corps in time to hold those expensive guard, artillery and cavalry factors.  Otherwise they wind up being discharged when they come due and have no corp to find a home in (or if cavalry in France, eaten.  "Garcon, I'll take a fillet of dragoon mount, si vous plat"...) 

Scott (finally feeling at home in the game instead of totally at sea)

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

H.L. Mencken

(in reply to JavaJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 6:49:50 PM   
Murat

3d button from the left gives you this window with the circled part showing reinforcements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to joviel)
Post #: 17
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 7:27:56 PM   
joviel

Thanks for the info and the laugh.

Scott

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

H.L. Mencken

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 18
RE: Reinforcement Phase - 12/15/2007 8:15:31 PM   
Grognot

That 'Current Reinforcements' line is also what you need to double-click to convert those expensive C, A, G factors into I factors if you don't have any eligible corps for them, as well.

(in reply to joviel)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Reinforcement Phase Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI