Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ramifications of "disconnecting" the ptmaster file?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ramifications of "disconnecting" the ptmaster file? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ramifications of "disconnecting" the ptmaster... - 12/16/2007 12:27:36 AM   
rickier65

Was wondering what the ramification of disconnecting the ptmaster fiel from a scenario is.

The question relates to scenario I developed based on the generic.ptMaster. I wanted to use the generic file for a couple of reasons, 1) to see just what could be done with the standard unit - sftype structure, and 2) to give the AI the best possible opportunity to use the forces available.

However, someone pointed out that I should increase artillery range for the scale of the map I'm using, and to do that I need to disconnect the master file, and then edit the sftype for artillery (and art I, II, III).

I did some testing and it seems to be ok, and I was pleased to see the AI taking advantage of the new range, but I wanted to know if there were other ramifications of having a scenario that does not use a ptmaster( I know I could create my own custom ptmaster, but I didn't really want to do that), so, any of the "expert" scenario designers out there who know if there are adverse impacts of a scenario not having a ptmaster assigned, once the scenario is finished?

I also noticed that if someone tried to use the "real" terrein mod with this scenario, then the artillery range reverted back to the default range -= I'm sure that's because the "real" mod ptmaster has all the settings fo the generic.ptmaster, except for the graphics.

Also, as an observation, I'd suggest that scenario designers who modify the ptmaster for use in their scenario, highlight in the description what changes are made,(in my case I'd say in Description that art range changed t6o xx hexes or somthing along those lines.) That way folks playing it don't rely on a "perfect" match with the generic ptmaster.

And lastly, is it fair to assume that the more modifications a person makes to the ptmaster, the harder it is for the AI to function well? (I guess I'm thinking changes to sftypes mainly - though perhaps there are other areas as well ).

Thanks!
Rick

Post #: 1
RE: Ramifications of "disconnecting" the ptma... - 12/18/2007 5:48:40 PM   
jakobrogert

What I can tell from my modding, the more changes you make to the system of the game, rather than simply the scenario, the more you must test the AI's ability. And testing is a daunting task that increases in consumption of time exponentially for every change you make. 

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Ramifications of "disconnecting" the ptmaster file? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI