Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looks like the old Harpoon Classic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Looks like the old Harpoon Classic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 6:42:49 PM   
Warspite3

I played Harpoon Classic over 10 years ago which I bought in a jewel case version from a retailer. I loved it! After, I bought Harpoon Classic 97, then I bought Harpoon 2 Admiral's Edition (i think this is what it was). This was pretty much the extent of my experience with the series. I played HC and HC97 alot more then H2AE. I found H2 alot more complicated and I almost felt I actually had to have some real world naval experience to understand some of it.

Now it all brings me here. I have been checking screenshots of HCE and it looks very much like HC97. Can't most of the added content be downloaded from Harpoon HQ website? To me it all just looks like a modded version of the old game. I still have that copy of HC (but not 97') and I think I have H2AE laying around here someone. So I guess my main question, is it worth buying the newly released HCE? Like I said, it has been a very long time since I played any harpoon, but I do remember I absolutely loved it. My other question would be H3ANW. Should I get that one instead? That one is a similar situation to the comparison of HC and HCE because this one looks very much like H2 or a modded version of H2. I never played any version of H3.

Summary, I basically want a new version of Harpoon. If its worth picking up, should it be HCE or H3ANW? Really, they should have never cancelled the development of H4, they really dropped the ball on this one. I always thought that H4 would have been a huge seller. I mean come on, its been over 10 years and look people are still playing the old ones! What does that tell you? I need not say more, I think we all been through this H4 cancelling more then once. Can't dwell on it forever I guess. On a good note, perhaps it may be good to pick up one of these new ones but I will let others clarify this for me.

-Warspite3-
Post #: 1
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 7:55:02 PM   
Boomer01

I have played since 1989 with the original and 97 versions. I purchased the download HCE and all I can say is that it is well worth the money. The game plays just like the original, but has a ton of improvements, including a new battleset - the west Pacific.

Regards, Terry

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 2
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 8:19:06 PM   
roeddog

Warspite3

Don't know it this'll help but here is the direct link to the ANW demo HarpoonANW demo

Regards,
Jeff

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 3
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 8:25:30 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

If its worth picking up, should it be HCE or H3ANW?

Both. If you buy now, anyway, with the $20 discount if you do it.

I can't compare with the older games as I never played the pre-Matrix releases but they are certainly different enough from each other (but both well worth playing) to justify the dual purchase.

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 4
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 8:25:31 PM   
roeddog

Another link you might enjoy History of Harpoon

Jeff

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 5
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/16/2007 9:34:07 PM   
TonyE

Hi Warspite, check out the Downloads section at www.harpgamer.com.  There is a lot of material available for HC that cannot be played in HC97.  The updated databases alone should be worth the price of the game not to mention the generally much higher scenario quality, and some totally replaced sensor models and other good stuff.  You'll see even more from HC going forward, most notably in the first patch is a battleset builder so that you can make a falklands map or a hawaii map, or many other areas.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to roeddog)
Post #: 6
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/17/2007 4:30:05 AM   
Warspite3

I never knew there was a demo to ANW, I will definitely check that out. It seems there is indeed some significant internal differences and improvements in HCE that the screenshots can't show. I may have to take advantage of that special $20 savings and just get them both.  Thanks for the info!

-Warspite3-

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/17/2007 5:52:25 AM   
roeddog

welcome to your new favorite addiction

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 8
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/18/2007 5:11:01 AM   
SteveF2006

Tony is right (of course!), it looks similar to the '97 version but is much more fun to play! The AI is smarter, there is a much expanded DB, you can edit the date base to either modify current platforms or create your own..... The possibilities are endless... and then a battle set builder  that's cool man!

My nickels worth of free advise, if you can just get one, buy HCE!

(in reply to roeddog)
Post #: 9
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/19/2007 5:23:20 AM   
erict

Me to, I've been 'pooning since day 1 and this edition is worth it. Besides supporting the 'poon community you're ensuring the continuation of the franchise and hopefully even better version in the future.

(in reply to SteveF2006)
Post #: 10
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/19/2007 1:41:14 PM   
JRyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: erict

Besides supporting the 'poon community you're ensuring the continuation of the franchise and hopefully even better version in the future.

How true this is, just think of how far it has come with no major publishing company, such as UBi-Soft making the decisions......

(in reply to erict)
Post #: 11
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/20/2007 9:42:08 PM   
LtMatthews

I just pulled the trigger on this for a xmas present for me.  I got the first edition back in Jan 92 with my first real pc with a wopping 1meg ram!  Still running dos and I loved this game, I played it for hours, it still crashed when I ran out of memory or had to save the game at critical times and it still crashed, but I loved it.  I got H2 and did not like it as much, it was more buggy than the original, no upgrade or software would fix it.

So let me log on and start playing!

(in reply to JRyan)
Post #: 12
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/20/2007 9:47:53 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: LtMatthews
I just pulled the trigger on this for a xmas present for me. I got the first edition back in Jan 92 with my first real pc with a wopping 1meg ram! Still running dos and I loved this game, I played it for hours, it still crashed when I ran out of memory or had to save the game at critical times and it still crashed, but I loved it. I got H2 and did not like it as much, it was more buggy than the original, no upgrade or software would fix it. So let me log on and start playing!

Good to hear. I expect you're going to have a very Merry Christmas.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to LtMatthews)
Post #: 13
RE: Looks like the old Harpoon Classic - 12/21/2007 4:07:47 AM   
LtMatthews

Well, it is official, after playing for a few hours (it is back to 1992 again?) it is what I remembered it to be and better.  I have not tried the heavy duty battles yet, but I have just gotten my sea legs back!

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Looks like the old Harpoon Classic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI