Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help for a new guy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Help for a new guy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 12:42:06 AM   
monkeyx

Hi

Just bought WITP. Great game and lots of really good threats and info around.

What's the best way the play the game and is it playable as Japan against the AI?

I am showing my age now, but anyone remember the board game 'Pearl Harbor' ?

Post #: 1
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 12:45:15 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Hi, the best way to play the game is:
1- read from this forum as much as you can, especially the "Must Read Thread".
2- Give to stock a try, then switch to a good mod, like CHS
3- Yes, playing as Japan vs the allies can be done, just remember to set the difficult to very hard.
4- After you learn how to play, go and find the greatness of Pbem (look at the AAR section and you'll see....)

Welcome aboard

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to monkeyx)
Post #: 2
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 1:11:01 AM   
Terminus

What my Italian friend said... Welcome to the Madhouse; I hope you've cancelled your social life...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 3
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 1:26:14 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Yes, T. is right...and also remember to be ready to break up with your G.F./B.F. or divorce from your wife...this game doesn't allow you to play anything else other than this

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 2:34:51 AM   
Feinder

When playing against the AI, try to play a strategy with a "historical" feel.  The AI is reasonable and will give a ok game in a completely historical context.  But if as Japan, you decide to load up 12 Divsions and invade Oz, it won't know what to do and and either do (or not do) some really stupid things.  But if as Japan vs. Allied AI, you go after the Dutch Indies and Philpines.  A few islands like Tarawa and the Solomons, and Burma, the AI will resist ok.  But again, if you load up 4 Divisions, zoom past Guadalcanal (Lunga) and quick invade Noumea, the AI won't know what to do.

Welcome aboard.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 5
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 3:49:40 AM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

When playing against the AI, try to play a strategy with a "historical" feel.  The AI is reasonable and will give a ok game in a completely historical context.  But if as Japan, you decide to load up 12 Divsions and invade Oz, it won't know what to do and and either do (or not do) some really stupid things.  But if as Japan vs. Allied AI, you go after the Dutch Indies and Philpines.  A few islands like Tarawa and the Solomons, and Burma, the AI will resist ok.  But again, if you load up 4 Divisions, zoom past Guadalcanal (Lunga) and quick invade Noumea, the AI won't know what to do.

Welcome aboard.

-F-

I don't know what to do about that in a PBEM.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 4:11:58 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyx

I am showing my age now, but anyone remember the board game 'Pearl Harbor' ?

Yes there are people out there that own GDW's Pearl Harbour and many other Pacific war board games as well. By the way, which edition did you have. I originally bought 1st edition but found the 2nd Edition a huge improvement. (I've never actually seen the 3rd Ed.)

I just loved the scope and overall feel of this game though I always felt it lost something in the scale of the units it represented. Corps, Airforces and Naval Divisions were fully functional or they were totally destroyed. The method of constructing task forces always resulted in 1:1 battles. 2nd edition changed the concept of combat results and unit damage and task force composition, all without changing the counter mix. Quite a achievement by the designer concerned and made a much more playable game.

If you liked Pearl Harbor, I think you will love WITP as I always felt that they both had shared the same feel for the subject covered. It's just that WITP allows you to go down into the detail and not have it all abstracted like PH.

Welcome to the madhouse!!

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to monkeyx)
Post #: 7
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 4:39:54 AM   
Feinder

quote:

But again, if you load up 4 Divisions, zoom past Guadalcanal (Lunga) and quick invade Noumea, the AI won't know what to do.

Welcome aboard.

-F-

I don't know what to do about that in a PBEM.

The answer is you -can't- do anything about it, so don't worry about it. Just come back for it next year.

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: Help for a new guy - 12/20/2007 4:43:44 AM   
siRkid

Use the toturial.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Help for a new guy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI