Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BoB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> BoB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BoB - 12/21/2007 11:31:50 AM   
Morgan60

Will we are waiting would anyone be interested is discussing tactics and staetgies for the old BoB. I played this game when it first came out and as others have commented on found the RAF ridiculously easy and the Luftwaffe almost impossible.

I have been reading Swift and Fochinell's AAR with great interest.

Something to whet the whislte?
Post #: 1
RE: BoB - 12/21/2007 1:52:26 PM   
Hard Sarge

that would be interesting, I would like to hear others peoples ideas and views instead of imposing mine

since I was known for doing that for BTR way back when :)

any ideas, stories ?

(in reply to Morgan60)
Post #: 2
RE: BoB - 12/22/2007 6:20:31 PM   
wernerpruckner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morgan60

Will we are waiting would anyone be interested is discussing tactics and staetgies for the old BoB. I played this game when it first came out and as others have commented on found the RAF ridiculously easy and the Luftwaffe almost impossible.

I have been reading Swift and Fochinell's AAR with great interest.

Something to whet the whislte?

vs AI both sides were easy

PBEM it depends...

for the British side it is the number one priority to keep high numbers of operational A/C and cause at the same time high losses to the enemy

for the German side....there are a bunch of different ways to win the game
1....air superiority (AS 8 will win the game....) via kills, but vs a seasoned opponent this may be impossible to reach
2....AS via low fuel situation - each sortie needs fuel....attacks on A/Fs, Ports, oil storage, refineries, RRs may destroy enough to ground the enemy
3....terror - attack only targets inside the cities and terror will rise, you can also attack only in the night
4....ID ( industrial damage ).....try to concentrate on different sets of targets

there are also a few ways that probably were not indented to be.....two turn victories ( I consider them as no/no in PBEMs, because the ALlied player has no chance to counter them in a 40 bob game...)

(in reply to Morgan60)
Post #: 3
RE: BoB - 12/22/2007 8:48:28 PM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: swift
there are also a few ways that probably were not indented to be.....two turn victories ( I consider them as no/no in PBEMs, because the ALlied player has no chance to counter them in a 40 bob game...)

Just to satisfy my curiosity... which ways are those?

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 4
RE: BoB - 12/23/2007 12:26:33 AM   
wernerpruckner

test it

you can do it with two ways (AFAIK ) - power plants and the other way is RR/terror with night attacks

it does not work all the time, but often enough !!

in the new version this will be much more difficult!

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 5
RE: BoB - 12/23/2007 11:07:17 AM   
Hard Sarge

well, here are the target lists

in BoB there were I beleieve 23 Power Sites, in the new one there are 38, but most are smaller, in the first one, alot of sites were combined into one major site, but that made it easier to knock out the whole area

as you may figure, it is HARDer to get good info on what the Allies were doing, then it is to find out what the Axis was doing

areas that we could get good info on, we were able to improve

like one of the Main Spitfire Factories, in BoB it is a long delay before it comes online, but it was building spits since 39 (it was partschally retooling for the Spit II when the battle began, but it was still working)

I have been able to find and add a few more AFs to the GB side, ones that were there, but are not in the normal lists of bases you get when you see stuff on BoB

the LW side did much better on this account, we were able to find a lot of new bases to add to France,a few of them, I think will be importent ones

we wanted to work and make sure the one day, two day igorne losses ideas didn't work any more

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 6
RE: BoB - 12/23/2007 11:11:26 AM   
Hard Sarge

during some of our test runs, we were able to let the game run to what production, we were able to match pretty much what the GB were able to build during the battle

if the player wants to make major changes to AirCraft Production, it is going to be a mess, but doable :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: BoB - 12/25/2007 6:55:48 AM   
Morgan60

I find that the British player (or more correctly the computer acting for the british) can shift production from damaged factories very quickly and it seems much quicker than is realistic.  This is expecially true of Spitfire production, early in the battle the main assembly was carried out at Supermarine's works in Southhampton and even though the shadow factory was coming online at Castle Bromwich the only jigs for the complicated wing root area were in Southhampton.  One raid very nearly destroyed these jigs which would have been catastrophic for Spitfire production.  As it was they had enough parts so that production was not seriously affected and it certainly put the wind up the English.  The point is that aircraft production was a very fragile thing and could have easily been seriously disrupted with better intelligence and raid planning by the Luftwaffe and it could have been very different.

As somebody once said ... If only .... This of course is the marvellous attraction of the game but the more abstract issue are difficult to deal with in game play.  

Any opinions?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: BoB - 12/26/2007 12:45:06 PM   
Hard Sarge

"two day igorne losses ideas didn't work any more"

Hmmmm, even as a standard Sargeism, I got no Idea what that word was suppost to be ????

LoL

ahhhhhh

I got it, Ignore losses

pretty bad when you got to study your own writing to figure out what you are trying to say

(in reply to Morgan60)
Post #: 9
RE: BoB - 12/26/2007 12:58:02 PM   
Hard Sarge

As somebody once said ... If only .... This of course is the marvellous attraction of the game but the more abstract issue are difficult to deal with in game play.

in BoB, you can indeed hurt/crush the GB Aircraft Production (some of the key targets are deep though)

but, is it worth it in a short campaign (BoB41, I think the losses may be more worth the idea)

you are going to have to burn though what the units have at start, and then burn off the stockpile, which unless you nail every factory on turn one, you are also going to have to burn off the trickle of planes being added to the stockpile, which during that time, the delay factories are going to be actived and will be coming online soon (and overall, you got to find them, once they are online and building)

overall, it can be done, or may be worthwhile to try and knock out some of the targets, if nothing else, to cause trouble (and the way I think, a target is a target, since my goal is to draw the RAF up (or the LW depending on the game)

(I believe it is Lord Beverbrook ? who is at times seen as the one man who could of lost the battle, he was put in charge of Fighter Production, and the changes he made, improved the production of fighters in the short term, but almost ruined the factories, and ruined production for the long term)

< Message edited by Hard Sarge -- 12/26/2007 1:04:06 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: BoB - 1/1/2008 6:01:50 AM   
Morgan60

HS, you are correct of course.  But even so the dispersal of production still seems rather fast. 

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> BoB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI