Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's Coming in v4.1 Very Soon!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's Coming in v4.1 Very Soon! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's Coming in v4.1 Very Soon! - 9/15/2000 9:44:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys.... Yea I know you figured we were all just resting while everyone downloaded. Plain and simple NOPE! I am sure everyone notice out new Game Depot, Matrix Journal, Contest and other goodies being started at Matrix Games. Well let me give you some more news. Here is what you can find available in v4.1 do out REALLY SOON! Differing OOBs or game versions in online play will no longer let you continue the game. Victory hexes that score every turn will score for any turns left unfought in the battle (for example, if the other force breaks or surrenders). Casualties from previous battles that weren’t yet repaired were being counted as kills in the current battle in the WWII campaign and generated campaign. This is now fixed. Sniper-class units can no longer capture victory hexes. Fixed problem with online games not starting with same data if reduced squads or combat ammo was chosen. Increased reliability of combat results on remote machines in online games. A warning is now given if the game creator is running a different version of the game. Removed OOB cost multipliers for aircraft and artillery from the program. Values in OOBs are now used as-is. Many of the preferences are now locked out during online play like they are in PBEM. Changing the game preferences in online play now also tells the other players what preference was changed. Online games now have a different order to the setup sequence -- selection of game type is now after the players join. This allows the next change to work. Specifying “mech.exe /i” in the MGN filename box will allow the skipping of many of the online setup screens. It automatically fills in the correct ip address, uses the saved name, and attempts to connect three times (just in case the server is slower than you). IMPORTANT: make sure that SPWAW knows what your ip address is. Check this by running spwaw.exe and clicking “online”. If the wrong ip address is shown here (for example, if you are using a proxy or NAT to reach the internet), do not use the /i switch! There is currently a bug with the MGN client not changing directories to the spwaw directory. To work around this, every time you start up the MGN client, click on Configure, then Browse, then make your way to the game directory and select mech.exe. If you wish to add the /i switch, you can then type it in the Game File window. Fixed unit ID tags not showing up. Fixed wrong formation assignment of units during scenario editing. Units of side #1 were sometimes being assigned formation letters that belong to side #2. Because of the nature of this bug, it is only truly fixed for scenarios that start buying units for side #2 from scratch, but it is only necessary to do this if the existing lettering problems bug you; there do not seem to be any ill game effects other than not being listed on the HQ menu or unit list. Added a third setting to the Unit Numbers preferences, “All Units” (renamed the others “Your Infantry” and “Your Units” . This setting displays unit numbers on enemy infantry, and cannot be modified once a PBEM game or online game starts. David

Post #: 1
- 9/15/2000 11:31:00 PM   
Fuerte

Argh... online this and online that, but not a mention about the fatal PBEM bug, view recording of last player turn not working at all. It seems that my worst fears are coming true... 4.0 is only for online play. Of course 4.0 can be used for solitaire play, but 2.3 is needed for PBEM.

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 9/16/2000 12:09:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

This bug may be related to how much memory your opponant has. If your opponant has less than 48MB then his machine may truncate the file causing prblems when you view it. How much memory do the OPPONANT of folks haveing problems with this have? If its only 32MB that is likely the culprit.

Post #: 3
- 9/16/2000 12:11:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Hi Guys.... Yea I know you figured we were all just resting while everyone downloaded. Plain and simple NOPE! I am sure everyone notice out new Game Depot, Matrix Journal, Contest and other goodies being started at Matrix Games. Well let me give you some more news. Here is what you can find available in v4.1 do out REALLY SOON! David
Is there going to be any changes to how long it takes to repair a single weapon that is broken down? Currently it seems to take forever, at least according to what I have seen... If weapon like machinegun or cannon jams, it can't take forever to fix it?? (maybe it's just a dud round?) Also, please fix those bunkers/caves that can change their heading by using right mouse button....Big amphibious PBEM-battle coming soon, and I like to see it fixed by then...

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 4
- 9/16/2000 1:07:00 AM   
Fuerte

My opponent has 128 MB, and he can't see my turn either. So it must be something else... have you tested the recording in that scenario (Tragic Stand) with secure PBEM? I repeat, the recording worked on both machines with 2.3.

Post #: 5
- 9/16/2000 1:13:00 AM   
David Heath

Ok I will look into this problem again. David P.S. Please also understand that the Online play is the newer the PBEM and that it will have more easier problems to fix. Its not that we are dropping anything.

Post #: 6
- 9/16/2000 3:43:00 AM   
Red Baron

Hi Crew.. Not to be ungreatfull......BUT, Now you talk about v.4.1 and the ink isn´t dry on the last DL´ed manual yet I´m in the process of mailing some copy´s of V.4.0 all around Scandinavien - And one to France I´m just thinking on those poor bastards not even got the new version yet Before there is another update on it´s move.. Was it not the time now to stop and get this version a chance to work and wait some weeks, where we all get a chance to comment on bugs ect..Maybe it`s just me semi-bitching ... But either way...I´m still impressed by the great work you have done..Just don´t burn your candle´s in both ends..??UUPPSS, just sounded like my mother Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

Post #: 7
- 9/16/2000 5:14:00 AM   
U235

Red Baron, I think V 4.1 is supposed to be a much smaller download than V 4.0 was. If this is the case, even those with slower connection speeds should be able to download it in a reasonable amount of time.

Post #: 8
- 9/16/2000 5:16:00 AM   
Fuerte

I believe that 4.1 patch is very small, perhaps only the exe, so it is OK to mail cds. I will try to simulate different PBEM games, if the recording works on unsecure games etc. This is so important thing to fix...

Post #: 9
- 9/16/2000 5:25:00 AM   
Reg

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: Hi Guys.... ..... Here is what you can find available in v4.1 do out REALLY SOON! .....
Do you have any idea of when the 4.1 patch is coming out?? I don't want to put you under pressure (who could be ungrateful with what you guys are doing?) but it would be handy for planning purposes. I got someone with a cable modem to download 4.0 and he's ready to burn a CD for me and several of my friends. It would be preferable to have the latest version before committing to plastic as the other copies are going interstate and won't be available for update. Thanks for your efforts, Reg. P.S. I agree with Fuerte that the PEBM fix should be a priority as it is a major part of the game and that's how I intend to use it. (Online is great but who has the time....)

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 10
- 9/16/2000 5:37:00 AM   
Reg

Don't you hate it when an answer is posted while you are still typing your question!! You guys psychic or something??? Reg

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 11
- 9/16/2000 5:41:00 AM   
Fuerte

David, I tested the Blenheim Blunder secure PBEM on my machine locally, and the replay worked, just like in 2.3. So I don't really know if the problem is just a random one... we are playing the Tragic Stand, and it is the first game we have tried with 4.0. Replay has not worked once in it. But since it is a secure PBEM and it succeeds in loading, I think that the files are ok, and the problem is in 4.0. I can e-mail the PBEM files, if you want. They are 2.2 MB zipped. And thanks for trying to fix it.

Post #: 12
- 9/16/2000 5:42:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi For the record we are working on this PBEM bug. Its is the number one thing we like to make sure is fixed for v4.1. This file should only be 1x EXE, 2x sounds, 2x graphics and maybe some OOB's nothing else. I would say under 5 megs. Now on to the problem of why releae the patch so fast. Plain and simple..... why should the gamers wait for the patch. This patch now can fix maybe 10 out of 15 bugs and we can releaese another patch in a week or two later to get the rest. Gamers should get the best possble game as soon as possible. Heck we could catch all of these darn bugs I would make a bug free game. I have alway hated buying a game and waiting three or four months for some damm company to make one patch. It up to the company IMHO to provide as fast as possible corrections. Making huge patches is not the way to handle this. I know this is something we are famous for but it will not be something that will be doing from here on. SPWaW was a very special case and was never intended to being a download only release but that is another story. But remember better a big download then no download. David [This message has been edited by David Heath (edited September 15, 2000).] [This message has been edited by David Heath (edited September 15, 2000).] [This message has been edited by David Heath (edited September 15, 2000).]

Post #: 13
- 9/16/2000 6:09:00 AM   
Fuerte

Cool, keep up the good work! As a programmer I know that it is usually impossible to fix a bug which you can't reproduce, so it would be nice to know, if you have found this problem on your own tests. If not, then in that case my PBEM files could be useful.

Post #: 14
- 9/16/2000 6:11:00 AM   
Graf Speer

David said:
quote:

Gamers should get the best possble game as soon as possible. Heck we could catch all of these darn bugs I would make a bug free game. I have alway hated buying a game and waiting three or four months for some damm company to make one patch. It up to the company IMHO to provide as fast as possible corrections.
David, I hear the passion in your 'voice' and applaud your own determination to treat Matrix gamers with a kind of attention no other wargame producing company comes even close to - this said while confessing my appreciation to Steve Hamilton for all those upgrades to my Aide de Camp II; but even with Steve (by example, and not meant as criticism), he works rather 'methodically', if you catch my drift and all I mean to say here is: Thank You for aiming higher!! Sincerely, Albert ------------------ The Good Nazi

Post #: 15
- 9/16/2000 7:51:00 AM   
Keebler

Keep up the great work. You guys do more for free than some companies have done after I’ve given them more than $50.00 of my money! Hasbro are you listening… I doubt it! If you guys released an empty Box tomorrow I’d pay $50.00 for it, and put my SPWAW cd in it!! Say are you guys allowed to sell boxes, or this TLC / SSI restrict that to. LOL ------------------ If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

Post #: 16
- 9/16/2000 11:18:00 PM   
Sirmel

Ok ook now with the new Version how can I get it without having to dn load ?? Thats an all niter for me and then some

Post #: 17
- 9/17/2000 9:02:00 PM   
Fredde

Hello, Will PBEM games started under 4.0 work under 4.1? Just in the process of starting a few.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 18
- 9/17/2000 10:37:00 PM   
David Heath

If we make major PBEM fixes or changes I would say no. But keep playing until we are sure. David

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's Coming in v4.1 Very Soon! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI