Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 12:46:55 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyx

Hi

Just bought WITP great game!

Like to see in the AE version two things, first zooming in and out resolutions which is really needed and common in todays games.

Also can you please add Christmas Island to the new map which is south of Java, this would allow lots of options in the game.

Keep up the good work!

You better take a look at CHS...in AB's map there's already Christmas Island in Indian Ocean...

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to monkeyx)
Post #: 181
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 3:02:43 AM   
JeffroK

Adding Cocos(Keeling) Is would be interesting, a mid point between OZ & India

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 182
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 12:05:03 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

This has already been added. And now please don't ask for Diego Garcia or Socotra (because they're also on the map). The only serious omission in the IO area is Kerguelen Island!

< Message edited by Kereguelen -- 12/20/2007 12:06:04 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 183
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 4:23:35 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kereguelen
The only serious omission is Kerguelen Island!

Where's Gilligan's Island?

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 184
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 5:04:09 PM   
mlees

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

It would have to be near the Oahu/Hawaii area. Close enough for a "Three hour tour".

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 185
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 7:10:18 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

It would have to be near the Oahu/Hawaii area. Close enough for a "Three hour tour".

Listen to the whole song. "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed" How long and how far they were blown is carefully left unsaid....

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 186
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 8:22:19 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

Listen to the whole song. "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed" How long and how far they were blown is carefully left unsaid....

Well for 1.2 mil I'll be happy to conduct a study to answer that question.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 187
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 9:55:26 PM   
witpqs

I'll do it for an even million ...

< Message edited by witpqs -- 12/20/2007 9:56:26 PM >

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 188
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 10:08:34 PM   
Don Bowen

Back on topic....

Has anyone heard of Malaybalay??

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 189
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 10:28:47 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Back on topic....

It's the capital city of the province of Bukidnon, on Mindinao:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 190
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 11:10:13 PM   
Don Bowen

It was also the concentration point for the 101st Infantry Division (PA) on December 7th, 1941.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 191
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/20/2007 11:15:09 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Back on topic....

I thought he meant Mandalaybay !
:)

Attachment (1)

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 192
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 12:33:39 AM   
hueglin

Once there is some sort of pwhex editor, would there be anything preventing someone form making a map at the 60nm scale (obviously getting more map space than the original WITP 60nm map). I ask this because I really want the extra slots and improvements that will come with AE but I would like to be able to reuse my "War in the West" map (WPO mod) and use the extra space to make the Atlantic its full width.

I suppose the main problem would be movement rates - will there be any way to adjust the ship, aircraft and LCU movement rates?

< Message edited by hueglin -- 12/21/2007 12:35:01 AM >

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 193
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 1:38:45 AM   
el cid again

Editing should not be a big issue - one can probably do it in MS Word. The trick is to get your hands on an unpacked pwhex (or pwhexL or whatever it is called) file. If you have any problem, any programmer, mathmetician or computer engineer can do it for you.

Changing scales in a minor way - say from statute to nautical miles (if that were required) is easy. But changing scales in a big way almost certainly will run afoul of what code expects/displays/calculates in terms of. In any case, the map panels are different - so wholly new art will be required - which Andrew explained early in this thread. There is also the problem of entry-exit points to various holding boxes (or whatever they are called) - changing scale isn't going to be compatable with that in a way that makes any sense at all.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 194
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 1:41:15 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Back on topic....

I thought he meant Mandalaybay !
:)

I thought he meant Mabuhay!

[Inside joke for Tagalog speakers]

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 195
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 1:48:03 AM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

This has already been added. And now please don't ask for Diego Garcia or Socotra (because they're also on the map). The only serious omission in the IO area is Kerguelen Island!

Kerguelen written about by Kereguelen - this could get confusing!

Kerguelen was used by German raiders - and probably submareines - the former laying mines still a problem two generations after the war (but no longer marked - I guess France finally cleared them). A land mass of about 1200 square miles, it is unofficially called "desolation island" because of a lack of trees. There are many rabbits, and on offshore islets (about a thousand of them) many birds, but wild dogs have driven the birds from the big island. HQ of the French Antarctic Territories, it has one tiny settlement today - but once it had several towns dedicated to sheephearding. They left after the 1929 stock market crash ruined their business - but bread they left behing was edible in 1939 - German raiders reported (stale but edible) - because there is no bacteria to rot it. The only significant vegitation is the Kereguelen Land Cabbage - which spreads seeds on the perpetual winds like dandelions do. There are high mountains (5000 feet) along the long West Coast - 2000 foot cliffs - and these have glaciers which mean the island always is a source of fresh water. You can get meat (if you like rabbit or bird), cabbage and water - and there are dozens of long fjords to hide in - several of these being mined by the Germans during WWII - and long marked on nautical charts.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 196
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 2:06:17 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

quote:

Well at least there is Bowen.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 197
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 2:12:05 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Editing should not be a big issue - one can probably do it in MS Word. The trick is to get your hands on an unpacked pwhex (or pwhexL or whatever it is called) file. If you have any problem, any programmer, mathmetician or computer engineer can do it for you.

Changing scales in a minor way - say from statute to nautical miles (if that were required) is easy. But changing scales in a big way almost certainly will run afoul of what code expects/displays/calculates in terms of. In any case, the map panels are different - so wholly new art will be required - which Andrew explained early in this thread. There is also the problem of entry-exit points to various holding boxes (or whatever they are called) - changing scale isn't going to be compatable with that in a way that makes any sense at all.

The map panels may be different, but the map itself could be used and just re-cut to fit the new panel size. I still have the original map I made in Photopaint 11 which is not cut into panels.

I am sure I could make adjustments for the holding boxes, or just not have them active. The main problem I forsee is the movement rates.

Does anyone know how they were adjusted for the "War in the Med" mod - isn't it at a 40nm scale?

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 198
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 3:14:40 PM   
Captain Cruft

The movement rates weren't adjusted for WitM. They just decided to live with TFs going slower. Personally I think it adds a bit of realism.

I'm not sure if the mechanism will be changed for AE. Likely not at a guess.

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 199
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 5:17:53 PM   
VSWG

With the new production model, can the Allies still ignore HI points for their industry, or do they now have to feed their HI in order to get (some of) their "stuff"?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 200
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/21/2007 7:15:16 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

The movement rates weren't adjusted for WitM. They just decided to live with TFs going slower. Personally I think it adds a bit of realism.

I'm not sure if the mechanism will be changed for AE. Likely not at a guess.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that.

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 201
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 2:46:58 AM   
MineSweeper

quote:

And maybe the CL SMS Emden can be repaired and put back in action....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 202
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 1:30:15 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

With the new production model, can the Allies still ignore HI points for their industry, or do they now have to feed their HI in order to get (some of) their "stuff"?

Production for the Allies has not changed, except for the fact that off-map reinforcements can now be given an end date. which greatly reduces the need to place Allied aircraft factories on the map.

But the exact details of how the production devices work are still being modified as testing continues. So HI, for example, will generate a certain amount of supply points, as they do now, which means the Allies will have to "feed" them to get maximum value out of them.

Andrew

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 203
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 1:31:52 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

quote:

As Kereguelen has mentioned, Cocos Island is included, as is Christmas Island.

And no Kergulelen, although maybe I should add it as well?

Andrew

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 204
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 1:58:30 PM   
KahunaPete

Hi Andrew

I'm currently using your WITP 6.2 standard and extended maps in two separate games and wondered if the AE edition 2008 will incorporate all the great additions you made thus far?

Sorry I wasn't sure if will be the map designer for the AE edition but it sounds like you are :-)

Post #: 205
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 2:34:54 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: KahunaPete

Hi Andrew

I'm currently using your WITP 6.2 standard and extended maps in two separate games and wondered if the AE edition 2008 will incorporate all the great additions you made thus far?

Sorry I wasn't sure if will be the map designer for the AE edition but it sounds like you are :-)

Yes I am doing the AE map. I have included things from my original map if I think they should be included. I guess that would be most things.

Andrew

(in reply to KahunaPete)
Post #: 206
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 2:49:55 PM   
VSWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Production for the Allies has not changed, except for the fact that off-map reinforcements can now be given an end date. which greatly reduces the need to place Allied aircraft factories on the map.

But the exact details of how the production devices work are still being modified as testing continues. So HI, for example, will generate a certain amount of supply points, as they do now, which means the Allies will have to "feed" them to get maximum value out of them.

Andrew

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. The end date for Allied plane production is great news!!

Post #: 207
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/22/2007 9:25:21 PM   
KahunaPete

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: KahunaPete

Hi Andrew

Sorry I wasn't sure if you will be the map designer for the AE edition but it sounds like you are :-)

Yes I am doing the AE map. I have included things from my original map if I think they should be included. I guess that would be most things.

Andrew

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product. Eagerly licking my chops like a hungry shark

Post #: 208
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/24/2007 5:19:01 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin

The map panels may be different, but the map itself could be used and just re-cut to fit the new panel size. I still have the original map I made in Photopaint 11 which is not cut into panels.

I am sure I could make adjustments for the holding boxes, or just not have them active. The main problem I forsee is the movement rates.

Does anyone know how they were adjusted for the "War in the Med" mod - isn't it at a 40nm scale?

If you can solve that problem - that would be nice in spots.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 12/24/2007 5:21:11 AM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 209
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/24/2007 1:54:48 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Well at least there is Bowen.

And "Ban Don" is no more...

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI