Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The real victory level of this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The real victory level of this game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 6:19:54 PM   
trollelite

should be>

Japanese Victory: While allies get beated, get kicked out of the war, get a draw, get a moderate victor, or get anything if Japanese side remained alive after August, 1945

Draw: An allies decisive victory after June, 1944, before August, 1945

Allies Victory: An allies decisive victory before June,1944

This should reflects the true skill level of two sides. And this is only after applying strict HR restriction to allies side.

Allies so-called victory, except for a quick and decisive one, is meaningless, considering those vast resource they have.

If in those RTS games one's farmer could collect resource in a speed 4 or 5 times faster than others, he could always hope to win some sets, even others are with vastly superior skill, but such "victory" is of course hollowed, could prove nothing.
Post #: 1
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 6:29:43 PM   
jwilkerson

Victory in a game like WITP, generally comes from "defeating the opposing commander".

In my PBEM games, which have thus far been predominantly from the Japanese side, my only "victories" have come when my opponent resigned. This has only happened in 1942, and only as a result of a "lopsided" and probably "unexpected" carrier exchange.

In the game, if the Allied player(s) do not quit in 1942, then they will almost certainly "win" in any "bean counting" exercise thereafter.

But when the day is done (in the game) if a player feels that he has consistently out played the other, then he probably has and a good opponent will usually acknowledge such with a "well done - good game" comment. I've gotten a few of these and I certainly value them much more than a "victory points total"!

:)

So really "defeating the enemy commander" ... taking the enemy commander "outside his expectation space" ... is just as valid in the game as it is in real life!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 2
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 6:33:27 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: trollelite

should be>

Japanese Victory: While allies get beated, get kicked out of the war, get a draw, get a moderate victor, or get anything if Japanese side remained alive after August, 1945

This should reflects the true skill level of two sides. And this is only after applying strict HR restriction to allies side.

Allies so-called victory, except for a quick and decisive one, is meaningless, considering those vast resource they have.

If in those RTS games one's farmer could collect resource in a speed 4 or 5 times faster than others, he could always hope to win some sets, even others are with vastly superior skill, but such "victory" is of course hollowed, could prove nothing.

With the exception that VC are dependent on points, which I'm never a huge fan of in games, I think they are very well thought out.

This is a grognards game which means it isn't supposed to be complete fantasy. In real life a favorably negotiated peace was a reasonable VC for Japan. There is no way that would have ever been acceptable to the US...never. Why? They were pissed off and they knew they had the resources to crush Japan. Those resources in the game aren't made up. They actually existed. Japan was doomed the minute they attacked PH. The game accurately reflects this. However, how could being crushed a few months later than was historical be considered "a victory". IMO the only real victory for Japan in the game should be making the allied player want to give up, i.e. surrender.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 3
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 7:07:05 PM   
RUPD3658

I pulled off a draw as Japan and was happy with this

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 4
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 7:51:17 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Well i tend to use the "autovictory" as a parameter of how well i'm doing. If i get, as Japan, the 4-1 ratio by 1.1.43 that means that "politically" the allies could not stand anymore the war with their pubblic opinions, so they asked for an honourable peace.
If i'd get a draw i'd consider it a victory, because i did better than Japan in RL.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 5
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 8:12:50 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Victory in a game like WITP, generally comes from "defeating the opposing commander".

In my PBEM games, which have thus far been predominantly from the Japanese side, my only "victories" have come when my opponent resigned. This has only happened in 1942, and only as a result of a "lopsided" and probably "unexpected" carrier exchange.

In the game, if the Allied player(s) do not quit in 1942, then they will almost certainly "win" in any "bean counting" exercise thereafter.

But when the day is done (in the game) if a player feels that he has consistently out played the other, then he probably has and a good opponent will usually acknowledge such with a "well done - good game" comment. I've gotten a few of these and I certainly value them much more than a "victory points total"!

So really "defeating the enemy commander" ... taking the enemy commander "outside his expectation space" ... is just as valid in the game as it is in real life!

Amen! I wish they had left "VP's" out of the game entirely. They encourage too much "bean counting".

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 9:20:48 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Amen! I wish they had left "VP's" out of the game entirely. They encourage too much "bean counting".

Thats only because you are a bean counter and can't help but count if the beans are present!

Seriously, if you are playing what we would call a "historic" game then I would tend to agree with you (though there are many who play the game who do not have the historical knowledge to judge if they are doing better or worse than their RL counterpart). However, when you go off on a tangent from history then you need a yardstick with which to measure success/failure. Although many may argue that the points are not correctly placed or calculated, in general, I think they do a pretty decent job of portraying the situation.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 7
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 9:46:40 PM   
okami

Trollelite victory is a philosophy. Witp requires you as the Japanese player to realize from the very beginning that you will lose(Barring Auto victory which is historically inaccurate). I have played the allies only once. I "lose" every game. And yet I continue to play and will continue to play. It is not the ending that matters so much but the journey. Honourable play against an honourably opponent is all that you should ask for. House Rules are not put in play to rectify the imbalance of history, as Niceguy said the US industrial might is a historical fact. House Rules should be used to stop play which is ahistorical. As El Cid has posted if the actual commander could not do it, DON'T DO IT. We compete to better our play. We compete to do better than historical. That is the Japanese side. As I said victory is a philosphy, don't rail against history. Let it flow.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 8
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/24/2007 10:36:15 PM   
Feinder

quote:

It gets tedious hearing weak egos proclaiming the martyrdom of Japan PBEM.

Having played many PBEM games as both Allies and Japan, each side poses it's challenges. The vp system of WitP -is- meaningless. But in the same breath, you're saying it's ok as Japan to capitalize on a completely borked vp system on a all-or-nothing auto-victory in 1943. Oh, but then it matters. But if indeed you have underestimated your opponent and he thru some miracle manages to deny your auto-victory,, his efforts are sudenly meaningless?

Whatever.

Yes, it's HARD to play as Japan. It's also HARD to play as Allies. Ironically, the best strategy that I have seen for -both- sides, is to simply play to "not lose". More often than not, *your oppoent* will solve the "win" part of the equation for you by screwing something up.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 9
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 10:57:26 AM   
Roger Neilson II

There is no way I would play a game that involves potentially 5 years of my life and over 10 hours per week of that time - wow that comes to about 2,600 hours - to simply see a screen saying 'You have won' or 'You have lost'.

WIPT works for me for many reasons, but one of the key ones is that in those 2000+ hours I will regularly have wins and losses. I just wiped out an audacious paradrop on Wyndham. In the overall game I'm on 4.2 VP against but we play until we get to the end or till something tells us to stop. For all I'm getting a right royal beating, that one (there have been others) little victory has been hugely enjoyable. Almost every move brings with it a victory or defeat of some sort..... which is why I look forward to the next move, and why I seldom give up.

The only games where I have questioned the point of going on is where we have reached a really boring stalemate.....or where I have made such a mess that there is no way to come back!

ROger

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 10
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 1:00:46 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

There is no way I would play a game that involves potentially 5 years of my life and over 10 hours per week of that time - wow that comes to about 2,600 hours - to simply see a screen saying 'You have won' or 'You have lost'.

WIPT works for me for many reasons, but one of the key ones is that in those 2000+ hours I will regularly have wins and losses. I just wiped out an audacious paradrop on Wyndham. In the overall game I'm on 4.2 VP against but we play until we get to the end or till something tells us to stop. For all I'm getting a right royal beating, that one (there have been others) little victory has been hugely enjoyable. Almost every move brings with it a victory or defeat of some sort..... which is why I look forward to the next move, and why I seldom give up.

The only games where I have questioned the point of going on is where we have reached a really boring stalemate.....or where I have made such a mess that there is no way to come back!

Roger

Exactly, Roger. Nice to see that there are others out there who "get it". Especially nice to see one of them can express it so well....

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 11
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 2:19:34 PM   
BrucePowers

I will echo here what a couple others have said. I play because I enjoy the game. I have 2 PBEMs going right now. In one I am the allied player, in the other one of 3 Japanese commanders. As the Japanese we are doing pretty good. Against the 3 people we are playing we will eventually be soundly thrashed. I don't care and I won't give up. When you play a pbem it is about the people you are plaing with/against. I am playing with people who have a sense of humor but who take the game seriously. We are having a great time. That is what it is about, I think.

Post #: 12
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 3:57:55 PM   
Coach Z

Bruce I like what you said! You have to have a little sense of humor -be able to make fun of yourself when you screw up. While we all want to do well and play seriously, we all have other responsiblities, whether they are work or school or family and those darned things keep stealing our time and energy distracting us from War in the Pacific! 
I don't know about other people but reading your post made me think, now there's a guy I'd like to play!

ZUCK

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 13
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 4:29:27 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

In my PBEM games, which have thus far been predominantly from the Japanese side, my only "victories" have come when my opponent resigned. This has only happened in 1942, and only as a result of a "lopsided" and probably "unexpected" carrier exchange.In the game, if the Allied player(s) do not quit in 1942, then they will almost certainly "win" in any "bean counting" exercise thereafter.

Hopefully these endlessly lopsided CV exchanges, which inevitably ahistorically favour the Japanese thanks to the unwarranted coordination rules, the the use of tactical carrier aircraft ranges within a 2 phased non tactical daylight air model, a naval flak model which gives IJN TFs ahistorical capabilities, UBER CAP....the list went on and on...have now been nixed in AE. I've bailed on a game out of frustration at putting so much time into a game only to have the naval combat model produce endless one sided CV exchanges (at least allow simultaneous launches if one can't blend actual aircraft data with hex based maps and 8 hour air phases).

One can't really say that a player who bailed because his CVs failed to launch a single aircraft during the battle as it was out of range despite the non coordination of Allied strikes! lol...while the other Jap CVs launched hundreds of aircraft in fully coordinated strikes at the very max of their historical range limits (how was this physically possible?), with the almost inevitable result that Allied CVs get pounded by Jap CVs with impunity...surely, one can't blame the Allied player for bailing and claim a victory over the player!?? That's like claiming a victory in sport when one side fails to show because the other team died in a tragic airline crash!!

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 12/25/2007 4:32:12 PM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 14
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 4:43:59 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

In my PBEM games, which have thus far been predominantly from the Japanese side, my only "victories" have come when my opponent resigned. This has only happened in 1942, and only as a result of a "lopsided" and probably "unexpected" carrier exchange.In the game, if the Allied player(s) do not quit in 1942, then they will almost certainly "win" in any "bean counting" exercise thereafter.

Hopefully these endlessly lopsided CV exchanges, which inevitably ahistorically favour the Japanese thanks to the unwarranted coordination rules, the the use of tactical carrier aircraft ranges within a 2 phased non tactical daylight air model, a naval flak model which gives IJN TFs ahistorical capabilities, UBER CAP....the list went on and on...have now been nixed in AE. I've bailed on a game out of frustration at putting so much time into a game only to have the naval combat model produce endless one sided CV exchanges (at least allow simultaneous launches if one can't blend actual aircraft data with hex based maps and 8 hour air phases).

One can't really say that a player who bailed because his CVs failed to launch a single aircraft during the battle as it was out of range despite the non coordination of Allied strikes! lol...while the other Jap CVs launched hundreds of aircraft in fully coordinated strikes at the very max of their historical range limits (how was this physically possible?), with the almost inevitable result that Allied CVs get pounded by Jap CVs with impunity...surely, one can't blame the Allied player for bailing and claim a victory over the player!?? That's like claiming a victory in sport when one side fails to show because the other team died in a tragic airline crash!!

I don't know Ron, I used to agree with you on this, but after a lot of testing, I think there are tactics in stock that allow the Allies to even the playing field. Primarily the "Single CV Task Force". That being group like 4-6 CV task forces (with 1 CV each) together in one hex with the "follow" order for the fastest. This tactic complete overrides the "CV strike rule". So, I'm not aware that we are doing anything to change this specifically for AE.

That being said, one of our major goals is to address "uber CAP". So we do hope that no matter how large the CAP, that leakers will get through. Once we can publish some public AARs hopefully this aspect will become better understood.

Oh and regarding victory (or not victory) I think you would need to understand more details of the situation to comment on whether or not victory was obtained. I guess you disagree.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 15
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 4:45:51 PM   
BrucePowers

Merry Christmas, Ron

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 16
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 5:13:12 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Merry Christmas, Ron

Merry Christmas Bruce!

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 17
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 5:33:41 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

jwilkerson

I don't know Ron, I used to agree with you on this, but after a lot of testing, I think there are tactics in stock that allow the Allies to even the playing field. Primarily the "Single CV Task Force". That being group like 4-6 CV task forces (with 1 CV each) together in one hex with the "follow" order for the fastest. This tactic complete overrides the "CV strike rule". So, I'm not aware that we are doing anything to change this specifically for AE.

That being said, one of our major goals is to address "uber CAP". So we do hope that no matter how large the CAP, that leakers will get through. Once we can publish some public AARs hopefully this aspect will become better understood.

Oh and regarding victory (or not victory) I think you would need to understand more details of the situation to comment on whether or not victory was obtained. I guess you disagree.

I am about to ask a stupid rhetorical question

Is there any way to simulate this " Single CV Task Force" rule in an AI game? Like going in and tweaking the Death Star manually. Ah yes, hope does spring eternal.

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 12/25/2007 5:38:31 PM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 18
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 5:40:44 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Merry Christmas Joe! I began using single CV TFs in UV because of this but having to do this because of game mechanics and non-historical abilities seems the wrong way to look for a solution to a design oversight. Especially given the fact that the "reaction" feature usually porks whatever benefit the player may get by manipulating the game mechanics. Why leave unwarranted abilities like the coordination bonus for Japan in? The only reason why any strikes were coordinated in any navy with CVs came from the expenditure of time and fuel forming up and plane handling (launch/landing etc) efficiency. This should always result in shorter strike ranges, yet there are no range penalties for coordinated strikes, resulting in those navies with longer ranged a/c to enjoy ahistorical dominance within the game's mechanics despite the inefficiency of the CVs launching them. As we all know CVs have differring levels of plane ops efficiency. Those built later with the benefits of ops experience were much more efficient than CVs converted from BCs, liners, etc. Plane ops efficiency should also be factored in, and in most games of this genre, especially more tactical based games, CVs have ops maximums. See Dunnigan's "Victory at Sea" or AH Flattop for a full conceptual breakdown of CV ops efficiency if I'm not coming in 5 by 5 on this.

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 12/25/2007 5:45:46 PM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 19
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/25/2007 7:06:56 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Merry Christmas Joe! I began using single CV TFs in UV because of this but having to do this because of game mechanics and non-historical abilities seems the wrong way to look for a solution to a design oversight. Especially given the fact that the "reaction" feature usually porks whatever benefit the player may get by manipulating the game mechanics. Why leave unwarranted abilities like the coordination bonus for Japan in? The only reason why any strikes were coordinated in any navy with CVs came from the expenditure of time and fuel forming up and plane handling (launch/landing etc) efficiency. This should always result in shorter strike ranges, yet there are no range penalties for coordinated strikes, resulting in those navies with longer ranged a/c to enjoy ahistorical dominance within the game's mechanics despite the inefficiency of the CVs launching them. As we all know CVs have differring levels of plane ops efficiency. Those built later with the benefits of ops experience were much more efficient than CVs converted from BCs, liners, etc. Plane ops efficiency should also be factored in, and in most games of this genre, especially more tactical based games, CVs have ops maximums. See Dunnigan's "Victory at Sea" or AH Flattop for a full conceptual breakdown of CV ops efficiency if I'm not coming in 5 by 5 on this.

Merry Christmas Ron!

Well, the modeling of carrier battles in UV/WITP/WPO/AE would be a large and much different topic from "the real victory level of this game" topic of the current thread. So I'll start of a "Modeling of Carrier Battles" thread over in the design forum and we can discuss over there, ok!?

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 20
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 1:11:14 AM   
Shark7

Since I almost always play as Japan, I can almost always expect to lose, since the US alone would crush Japan under the weight of its production. This game, just like the war, is an exercise in attrition, and the US simply has more stuff to throw into the fray.

So, how can I expect to 'win' the game? In my case I simply set a number of goals I want to acheive. If I can achieve these goals, then I have won MY game, despite the ultimate inevitable outcome.

Winning the war outright is not really possible, Japan never had the resources for such an endeavor, and their leaders knew as much. They could have achieved their goals, however, if they had gotten the US to negotiate...however, their decision to attack PH ruined that. Had they not attacked PH, who knows? Perhaps a peace would have been negotiable.

There are a lot of what-if's in history. We only the know 'what-did'. Could the outcome have been different? If certain events had or hand't happened then yes, it is possible. Our goal as the player is to make or not make these events happen. We aren't playing for a gold trophy and a prize...our prize is seeing if we could manage to do things in such a way to influence the outcome favorably for us, even in a small way.

I play for the challenge of seeing if I can prolong the inevitable...even if only by a few weeks. If I do, then I have my victory.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 21
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 1:36:50 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: trollelite

should be>

My take on this:

Victory:

If the Allied player has a sea line of communications (a continuous path with air superiority) between North America and a fleet base in the Philippines or Taiwan and from there to a forward base in the Ryukyus, Korea, or Japan by 31 January 1944, he wins a decisive victory. If this requirement is met by 30 April 1944, it is a regular Allied victory. By 31 July 1944, a marginal victory, by 31 October 1944, a draw, by 31 January 1945, a Japanese marginal victory, by 30 April 1945, a Japanese regular victory, and by 31 July 1945 or later, a decisive Japanese victory.

If at any time, the Japanese player attacks forces present in a hex in Alaska, the Hawaiian Islands (excluding Midway), or continental North America, the Allied player has an additional two years (just so) to meet his requirements for a victory. Note that raiding the American sea lines of communication is OK, but during the first turn, the oiler task force supporting the KB should be assumed to be half empty.

Armistices can be offered by either side at any time. The side offering the armistice must abide by it once accepted. The other side can withdraw from the agreement with 90 days notice. If Japan takes Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay, or Karachi, the Indian Congress Party forces the British in India to offer an armistice on the current lines of contact. If accepted, this means no offensive operations by either side in India, Burma, or Ceylon. If the Chinese capital is taken or Japan accepts this forced armistice with the British, the Chinese offer a similar armistice.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to trollelite)
Post #: 22
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 2:59:11 PM   
Yava

Victory:

When even the smallest plan works.

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 23
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 4:20:33 PM   
Nomad

Victory = ~Defeat

(in reply to Yava)
Post #: 24
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 4:36:55 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin
If the Allied player has a sea line of communications (a continuous path with air superiority) between North America and a fleet base in the Philippines or Taiwan and from there to a forward base in the Ryukyus, Korea, or Japan by 31 January 1944, he wins a decisive victory. If this requirement is met by 30 April 1944, it is a regular Allied victory. By 31 July 1944, a marginal victory, by 31 October 1944, a draw, by 31 January 1945, a Japanese marginal victory, by 30 April 1945, a Japanese regular victory, and by 31 July 1945 or later, a decisive Japanese victory.

If at any time, the Japanese player attacks forces present in a hex in Alaska, the Hawaiian Islands (excluding Midway), or continental North America, the Allied player has an additional two years (just so) to meet his requirements for a victory. Note that raiding the American sea lines of communication is OK, but during the first turn, the oiler task force supporting the KB should be assumed to be half empty.

Armistices can be offered by either side at any time. The side offering the armistice must abide by it once accepted. The other side can withdraw from the agreement with 90 days notice. If Japan takes Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay, or Karachi, the Indian Congress Party forces the British in India to offer an armistice on the current lines of contact. If accepted, this means no offensive operations by either side in India, Burma, or Ceylon. If the Chinese capital is taken or Japan accepts this forced armistice with the British, the Chinese offer a similar armistice.

Too complicated, too deterministic. What about "If you are happy with your play and feel good about the result---you won. If you keep thinking 'How did he do that?' and feel like you've been sodomized in public---you lost. Everything else is a draw."

It's a GAME! (as so many people have told me over the years). Just find an opponant you enjoy playing against, and enjoy the playing.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 25
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 4:56:42 PM   
BrucePowers

I agree with you Mike.

Post #: 26
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 5:00:19 PM   
Nomad

I agree with Mike, just play. The fun is in the play. There are small 'victories' along the way. Ambushing his bombers - getting in an attack he doesn't expect - etc. Worrying about winning or losing the game is wrong - if you are not enjoying it - try something else. If you are enjoying playing the game - then you have all ready won.

Post #: 27
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 6:54:39 PM   
crsutton

Victory?

In my current game, I had a sub smashed up by a Japanese ASW force near Manila. I nursed that poor old fish can home one hex at a time, watching the flotation go up and down and cringed as she dangerously flirted with sinking on most every turn. I got her back to Darwin where she was saved and began the long trip home for repair and refit.

What is an old sub worth? Six VP maybe? Funny, it was as if the rest of the game did not matter. I felt so good getting that ship home in one piece. It had victory written all over it....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 28
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 7:02:33 PM   
bradfordkay

Then there is always the smell of napalm in the morning...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 29
RE: The real victory level of this game - 12/26/2007 7:30:26 PM   
DD696

Within the game, victory would be having the 1st Marine Division sitting unopposed in Tokyo for 15 turns.

Victory within the forum would be to be allowed to play the game and comment upon it without having the constant harrassment of being told to play PBEM. You know, something like "liberty, justice and the pursuit of happiness for all, including AI players".

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The real victory level of this game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI