Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new game anyone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> new game anyone Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new game anyone - 12/27/2007 7:10:13 PM   
dodod

anyone interested in starting a game? I don't care much about the options or house rules...can be set by anyone.

My only requirement is that I don't want to host it.
Oh and maybe minimum of 24 hour turnaround? or AI plays your turn.
Post #: 1
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 7:12:25 PM   
Mardonius

I'll be keen to play but can not host. Reckon that no leader casualties is a good idea as they drop like flies.

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 2
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 7:37:22 PM   
WJPalmer1

Count me in. I'm still a relative newbie to EiA so I would likewise be a bad choice for a host. The options and house rules mentioned so far sound fine.

A couple of suggestions: Set up a new Google Groups site for sharing files & general communication. Also, it might be wise to get everything ready to go but not actually kick the new game off until the new patch is released early next week.

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/27/2007 7:38:57 PM >

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 3
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 8:03:03 PM   
dodod

exp

can u set up the google groups site?
I suppose we can wait til the patch?  do we know what's in it?

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 4
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 8:58:26 PM   
dodod

I also suggest the following rules:

Winter Land Movement +
Guard Commit +
Allow PBEM Host +
Allow Option Changes during the game - (+ if we play before patch)
Third Party battle resolution -
PBEM passwords - never used it... 
Econ Manip -
GB/FR War +
Leader Cas +
Priv -
PBEM Quick -

I also think that GB and france should have unconditional surrender as house rule for initial peace or they will clean house on everyone else.

Also in the first 2 years, Prussia can only have up to 2 major countries (of bordering countries--Russia, Austria, France) at war...so there is no gang up on Prussia.

Any other ideas?
and is there a place where the additions of the patch are posted?

I understand there is no kingdom of Italy (I don't know why)!@

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 5
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 10:58:26 PM   
WJPalmer1

Hi,
I've created a Google Group for this game. In honor of the Iron Duke's remark following Waterloo, I called it "Near Run Thing".

http://groups.google.com/group/eia_nearrunthing

I'm fine with the rule clarifications set out by Dodod, with the possible exception of using Economic Manipulation. According to what I've read about the game from the grognards, it adds an important element. Also, I like the idea of eliminating leader casualties since there is no way to promote/replace.

I also assume that we would be using the official GAP bid process. Seems the fairest method of selecting countries to me.

From what I've read, the patch will take care of 50+ bugs plus a handful of minor enhancements. Since the game represents such an investment of our time, I think the additional stability will be well worth the wait.

Now, we just need a Host and 4 more players

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/27/2007 11:12:14 PM >

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 6
RE: new game anyone - 12/27/2007 11:49:59 PM   
Mardonius

Concur on the no leader casualties. They seem to happen too frequently in the computer version vice the 1 in 36 chance in the board game.

I don't recommend any special protections for Prussia.
Rest looks fine.

"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 7
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 12:37:03 AM   
dodod

ok, no leader casualties, I like the realistic aspect, but I wish there were free state leaders or something you could use.

and no anti-gang-up-on-prussia-rule? hmmm..fine...but you're prussia. lol

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 8
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 3:08:58 AM   
denxis1

I am looking for a game and would like to join, I have no experience but I am willing try and host if no one else wants to give it a try.

Denis

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 9
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 3:33:13 AM   
Kayuucee

I would be interested in playing. I have no problems with the suggested rules.

Kenneth Crist

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 10
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 6:20:30 AM   
dodod

OK that's 5 players.  need 2 more or else AI takes over.

econ manipulation will be as per democratic vote...I never use it, seems a little cheap to me..but oh well.

does anyone know what is in the patch?  Perhaps we can start and add stuff later, since most of it is just game playing fixes that will likely work on games already in play.

(in reply to Kayuucee)
Post #: 11
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 7:18:50 AM   
Trent

Well, i can join this one. Who i should send my bids to ? 

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 12
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 9:43:12 AM   
fatfloyd

I am keen to try the PBEM post-patch if space is available. There seem too many bugs to play pre-patch with any confidence with PBEM. The options suggested look fine though I would vote no to Leader Cas and no protect Prussia or anybody else rule. Anybody know when the patch is coming?

(in reply to Trent)
Post #: 13
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 2:42:16 PM   
WJPalmer1

Denis,
Thanks for your offer to host. At this point, it looks like we will take you up on that!

At this point, the players lined up to play include:

dodod
Mardonius
densix1 (Host)
Kayuucee
Trent
fatfloyd
exp101 (me -- and Google Groups owner)

At this point it might be good to summarize where we think we are with everything:

Options:
Winter Land Movement +
Guard Commit +
Allow PBEM Host +
Allow Option Changes during the game -
Third Party battle resolution -
PBEM passwords ?
Econ Manip ?
GB/FR War +
Leader Cas -
Priv -
PBEM Quick -

Additional Rules & Understandings:
+Only unconditional surrender between France/GB
+Players expected to post phases promptly (after 24 hours from previous posting Host may use AI)
+Use Google Groups Site: http://groups.google.com/group/eia_nearrunthing for file posting & general communication

Which means that we need to vote on:
Economic Manipulation
PBEM Passwords

Miscellaneous -
Since our membership seems to be set, I'll send out invitations to join the new Google Group. This will give players the capability to post moves, upload/download game files, etc. For this purpose, please send your e-mail address to me at rwberg@att.net making sure that you identify yourself by your Matrix Forum name in your e-mail.

If you have not done so already download the GAP here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=285
And please read this handy post before you start the GAP and put in your bids
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1641790

At this point, bids should be sent to Denis as our illustrious Host. Denis, can you please let us know where these should be sent?

I would suggest calling our game NearRunThing in honor of Wellington's classic remark after Waterloo.
After using GAP save your file as NearRunThing_yourname and send it to the e-mail address Denis provides. This should allow him to easily keep the bids & bidders straight.

And, as for my votes:
Yes to Economic Manipulation
Yes to PBEM passwords
Yes to waiting to commence the game until the new patch is out (estimated by Jan 5) but get everything ready, including submitting our GAP bids, now

Is this consistent with everyone's understanding?

Ron (exp101)

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/28/2007 5:10:04 PM >

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 14
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 3:36:20 PM   
Mardonius

Looks good to me. I, too, think it would be a good idea to go with the Economic Manipulation. I have never seen the privateers used but for some reason think they might be fun . Arggggghhhh!!!!! Any takers?

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 15
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 4:19:59 PM   
Trent

Economic manipulation is primordial but the privateers are useless.

( Bids sent and request for joining the group is done )

denxis1@gmail.com THIS IS THE DENIS EMAIL FOR BIDS

< Message edited by Trent -- 12/28/2007 4:31:06 PM >

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 16
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 7:02:27 PM   
dodod

I will email bid shortly...

I think privateers is actually good...I vote for it...only because it can get rid of some of GB, france or spain ships if they decide to do it..this helps other puny fleets.

econ manip--fine...it just seems bad for turkey.  but that's fine too..

passwords? why? but OK.

I really want to start now, since I think most changes will be able to be added during the game...but whatever everyone wants..

I don't think there will be a kingdom of italy or any major changes on the first patch?!@ right?

(in reply to Trent)
Post #: 17
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 7:22:19 PM   
WJPalmer1

In the other PBEM game I'm involved in, we were in only the second month of the game (February 1805) when the program mysteriously reset all French land forces to their Setup locations. Had this happened even a few months later, we would have had to completely start over with the resulting loss of everyone's time and effort. Even now, I think everyone is a bit apprehensive not knowing when the bug may strike again. To me, the main attraction of waiting for the patch is that the 50+ bug fixes are insurance against the game blowing up. I don't want to even think about having to restart this bad boy once we get going. Also, as everyone is aware, this game is likely to go at least a couple of years. Waiting an extra couple of days to gain the security of the patch seems a very small inconvenience for the gain.

I'm OK either way on privateers. It's never been a factor either way in the games I've played to date.

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/28/2007 7:23:34 PM >

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 18
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 9:52:59 PM   
fatfloyd

My bids have been sent.

Good Luck all

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 19
RE: new game anyone - 12/28/2007 11:56:27 PM   
DCWhitworth

I *think* reading this thread that you have seven players. If so I'd be happy to be a reserve in case someone drops out. I don't mind picking up a hopeless position or badly trashed nation (I like a challenge !)

Regards
David

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 20
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 12:25:14 AM   
WJPalmer1

Thanks, David. We will definitely keep you in mind!

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 21
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 2:26:49 AM   
denxis1

Great summary on the game Ron thank you for all your work on putting this together it takes a lot of cooperation by all to make this work and judging by the posts here everyone has shown they are willing to work together to make this a great time and yes I can host.

Please use the gap program and save the file as "your game name_NearRunThing" and send To denxis1@gmail.com

I agree on all of Ron's post regarding game rules and and the summary so far. my votes are the same.

Yes to Economic Manipulation
Yes to PBEM passwords
Yes to waiting to commence the game until the new patch is out (estimated by Jan 5) but get everything ready, including submitting our GAP bids, now

so far I have received bids from

trent
mardonius
fatfloyd

still need to hear from

dodod
Kayuucee
exp101

Look forward to playing with you all

Denis

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 22
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 2:55:00 AM   
dodod

bid is sent...

so privateers? and we can wait til the patch.

can we at least set up and load set up files in the patched game?

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 23
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 3:16:25 AM   
WJPalmer1

For the patch to be effective, I would think he would need to import the GAP bids after the patch has been loaded.

Still need Kayuucee and Denxis1 to either send e-mail address to me for Google Group invitation or apply directly.

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/29/2007 3:19:26 AM >

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 24
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 3:31:57 AM   
dodod

out of curiosity, are people using the new counters?  that gets rid of FOW doesn't it? you know cavalry, artillery etc?

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 25
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 3:39:56 AM   
WJPalmer1

I haven't loaded any of the new sets myself, but I understand there are versions out there that minimize FoW disruption. I've been a bit reluctant for fear it might somehow destabilize something or impact compatibility with others not using the same counters. But they are pretty cool

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 26
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 3:57:56 AM   
fatfloyd

Once all the bids are in we can at least get the txt file it creates to see who is playing which power.

I am not sure if we can do the setup pre-patch without risking issues. I am assuming all the existing games will be loading the patch and continuing so perhaps we can.

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 27
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 4:21:54 AM   
WJPalmer1

Check out this thread regarding compatibility of pre-patch games with the new patch. The Matrix developers seem to be saying that while existing games should be compatible with the patch, if the patch is applied to existing games, some patch features/corrections will not apply.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1658929

I know everyone's anxious to go, but I don't think it makes sense to start the game and apply the GAP before the patch has been applied. We would be straddled with something less than the full version of the game for a long, long time.

Reading the .txt files would tell us in advance what everyone's bid is, but we still need to import the GAP so that it can resolve ties, apply pre-existing DoW's, etc.

IMO we should think of it like Christmas approaching: Let the anticipation build, study up on the game and develop grand strategies in our minds for the MP's each thinks he will get -- but wait until Christmas to open our package. It'll be here before you know it

< Message edited by exp101 -- 12/29/2007 4:23:04 AM >

(in reply to fatfloyd)
Post #: 28
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 5:54:32 AM   
fatfloyd

I thought the GAP program resolved ties etc before creating the txt file, if this is not the case then I agree we should wait for the patch to come out.

(in reply to WJPalmer1)
Post #: 29
RE: new game anyone - 12/29/2007 7:38:47 AM   
denxis1

There are two sets of modified counters from what the forum said one that would be revealing in regards to Fog of war as the guards were distinguished and the other was modified for FOW I downloaded the modified set as from what was being said on the forum this one would resolve FOW issues.

Thanks for the reminder exp101. I have registered with the group fourm.

< Message edited by denxis1 -- 12/29/2007 7:50:01 AM >

Denis

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted >> new game anyone Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI