Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CAW Sale?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> CAW Sale? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAW Sale? - 12/29/2007 3:20:24 PM   
galaril

Is CAW part of the Matrix 25% sale?

< Message edited by galaril -- 12/29/2007 3:28:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/29/2007 6:56:27 PM   
hadberz

No, here is the list of games on sell.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1626655

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 2
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/29/2007 7:51:47 PM   
galaril

Well, that sucks. I was looking to pick something in this genre up and this one looks really good, but as I am sure many others have already mentioned very few games in this area are worht 50 dollars for download only:)

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 3
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 3:34:51 AM   
e_barkmann

hmm $50 = take the family to the movies for 90 minutes.... draw your own conclusions.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 4
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 6:07:30 AM   
galaril

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

hmm $50 = take the family to the movies for 90 minutes.... draw your own conclusions.

Where the hell do you live. I go to the movies with my wife and kid it cost's 20 bucks plus a popcorn and drink which is still only 28 dollars. Anyways that is a poor arguement and to be honest I don't need people making excuses for matrix's price gouging.

< Message edited by galaril -- 12/30/2007 6:08:24 AM >

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 5
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 7:00:55 AM   
e_barkmann

Excuses? Wargaming has never been this cheap in decades.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 6
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 7:52:10 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: galaril

[Where the hell do you live. I go to the movies with my wife and kid it cost's 20 bucks plus a popcorn and drink which is still only 28 dollars. Anyways that is a poor arguement and to be honest I don't need people making excuses for matrix's price gouging.

$28.00...I wish things were that cheap. Here in Connecticut depending upon the theater it is $10-11.00 per ticket. Sodas and popcorn cost you almost $10.00 for each person (NOT large, just medium) and if my lady or nephew wants candy throw another $5-6.00 EACH.

To accuse Matrix of gouging is your right, but I believe if you knew the facts of the gaming industry better you would not make such a claim.

Flipper

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 7
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 11:27:36 AM   
RayWolfe

So, in the land of the free market, where are all the competitors offering games like CAW for what you might consider an un-gouged price? Surely if it were cheap to do, dozens of competitors would be out there ... perhaps the Indians or Chinese are working on producing alternates.

< Message edited by RayWolfe -- 12/30/2007 11:35:07 AM >

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 8
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/30/2007 3:33:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Galaril,

You think we're price gouging? You haven't even played CAW and yet you've come to that conclusion?

Have you looked at the price of mainstream game releases these days? Keep in mind we're in a niche market and will sell nowhere near the mainstream game quantities, yet they are now typically priced at $60 and often offer less thought and less gameplay than anything we sell. Granted, some are outstanding as well but my point is as follows...

Wargames 30 years ago were often priced more than $50. Games nowadays are often priced at $60+, board wargames are often priced at $70+. Expecting a product's price to not change in 30+ years is not realistic. To borrow the movie analogy, what did you pay for a movie ticket in 1975? What do you pay now? How does that compare to game prices changes?

I should add that we price our games not to make you broke, but just so that we and the developer can stay in business. None of us have second homes or ferraris here, or anything close to that. We recognize that there's a price ceiling above which most gamers won't go - unfortunately that ceiling works fairly well for mainstream releases but not as well for niche games. Most wargames have the unfortunate combination of long development times (due to detailed engines and historical research) and lower unit sales (compared to a mainstream game), so prices are what they are - we set them to as high as we think the market can reasonably bear given the development costs so that we can all keep making more of them.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/30/2007 4:08:40 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RayWolfe)
Post #: 9
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/31/2007 12:37:36 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Wargames 30 years ago were often priced more than $50. Games nowadays are often priced at $60+, board wargames are often priced at $70+. Expecting a product's price to not change in 30+ years is not realistic. To borrow the movie analogy, what did you pay for a movie ticket in 1975? What do you pay now? How does that compare to game prices changes?

$70 was about the median price for a computer wargame 2 decades ago, but let's look at some real data here :

Actual prices from 1994 for naval wargames :

Carrier Strike South Pacific : $70
Gary Grigsby’s Pacific War : $80
Great Naval Battles : $70

Now, add in inflation :

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Yup, that $70 wargame from 1994 should now cost a cool $99 given inflation alone. A 1987 $70 wargame would set you back $130 today.

Hard numbers say wargames are twice as cheap as twenty years ago.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: CAW Sale? - 12/31/2007 7:27:02 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: galaril

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

Where the hell do you live. I go to the movies with my wife and kid it cost's 20 bucks plus a popcorn and drink which is still only 28 dollars. Anyways that is a poor arguement and to be honest I don't need people making excuses for matrix's price gouging.

Well go to the movie again this weekend and forget about playing this game. Stay off the forum and you won´t be subject to anymore excuses. If you have something to say to Matrix try a direct email. Quit moaning and groaning, we actually get tried of hearing your type of complaints.

(in reply to galaril)
Post #: 11
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/1/2008 1:33:50 AM   
dalelast

I remember paying $69.99 for Pacific War in the early 90s. A single 3.5 disk, next to no graphics. Yep. Shame on you, Matrix! Carriers at War should only be $10.00. That way we can all go to the movies and throw popcorn at the whiner.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 12
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/2/2008 1:29:41 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: dalelast

I remember paying $69.99 for Pacific War in the early 90s. A single 3.5 disk, next to no graphics. Yep. Shame on you, Matrix! Carriers at War should only be $10.00. That way we can all go to the movies and throw popcorn at the whiner.

I really don't want to bash galaril but is pisses me off that some one who really can't appreciate or afford a computer game (especially a Matrix game) is so militant in thinking someone should give it to him at a discount or maybe even free because he has an interest and a desire to try it.

Most of us know the value of these games. It is in the hours of enjoyment and/or mind occupation aside from many other things that surround us. And, someone has to invent/code and develop these to our pleasure. It is our hobby. We appreciate Matrix for bringing it to us. Without Matrix we would be left with real time crap or many inferior products.

Seriously people like galaril should forget about involving himself in something he obviously has decided is not worth the money spent.

(in reply to dalelast)
Post #: 13
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/2/2008 4:09:35 AM   
sullafelix

Matrix comes nowhere near gouging. Most games are below $40. The only thing about wargames now a days is that only selling on the web you'll never find any in the bargain bins. I do hate having to pay full price for a 6 year old game. I'm not talking about Matrix here, they are better than most in that respect.

But, where did you buy those games in 94? I own them all and never paid more than $50 for them at my EB store. Actually for me the highest priced games go back to 85. Commodore games that I bought then were $60.

Also with the inflation as far as pay goes. I would have had to work 6 hours in 94 to afford your $ 80 Pacific war. Now I only have to work less than 4. Only really bad #'s are that in 85 I would have had to work the same as in 94. Ah the 80's great pay good insurance ( no out of pocket ) and everything was 1/3 the price things are now.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 14
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/2/2008 9:43:55 PM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

But, where did you buy those games in 94? I own them all and never paid more than $50 for them at my EB store. Actually for me the highest priced games go back to 85. Commodore games that I bought then were $60.

Yes, I think there's some exaggeration going on in this thread. I don't remember ever buying a game for more than $50, back in the 80's and 90's - and all I ever bought were the "niche" wargame and strategy game titles. To be fair though, I rarely picked up new releases, but usually waited a year or so when they were cheaper.

Although I wouldn't go so far as to accuse them of price gouging, I do feel the Matrix prices are near the high end in the hobby.
Speaking only for myself, but whenever I buy wargames from Matrix' biggest competitor (presumably), I can buy their products, including their newest releases, for about $30, if I buy a certain number of games. IOW's, they give a quantity discount.

< Message edited by BoredStiff -- 1/2/2008 9:45:27 PM >

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 15
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/20/2008 4:55:41 PM   
mingohh

Well i belive that if i see a game that me, i pay perhaps 50-70 § but you no when im 90 and not attacking nurses, i can battle with games that gives me joy, isent that the purpose when it comes to that, if you wait perhaps the game will be in retail sales, but if i can aford it i by it, have almost every thing from the start of Dos to XP i had as a gift, or pay for, because well pehaps its exspensive, but me and my friends got a million to be together a share the same trill to play and teese our girlsfriend with the Sexy Olympic in dos to CAW, instead of herring about the latest fasion.
So live live but remember to enjoy it to.
Reguards
Sorry for my english
Just a happy Dane, sweet loverly, and crasy about games

The little things in life, make a huge different

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 16
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/20/2008 11:35:20 PM   
martxyz

Like the sound of Sexy Olymocs in dos! Where do I find those? Incidentally, I don't like to pay anything for Sexy Olympics becuase it's exploitative, and you get locked up. I think the secret is to make sure that you're suh a Sexy Olympian yourself that you just don't need the dos. My guess is that the hardest, but most interesting aspect, is multiplayer, though I imagine that it's better on LAN than WAN. 

Oops. My English is good, but I have very bad manners. I apologise in adavance.

(in reply to mingohh)
Post #: 17
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/29/2008 9:57:20 PM   
mjk428

Generally my mindset is that retail price is for suckers. So it's hard for me to pay full price for anything. It's like going into a car dealer and giving them what's on the sticker. Not going to happen.

It's true that in the "glory days of gaming" the big games usually listed for $60 and more. However, I got the $60 games mail order from some place in Norcross, GA for $40 plus shipping. The $40 retail games were just $27. They carried all the SSI & SSG titles and I bought virtually all of them.

The new CAW may be well worth $50, I don't know. However, I've already purchased it multiple times for multiple computers and both the Mac & PC versions still run OK. For me, there isn't enough value to justify the price - I'm old enough to think of fifty bucks as a good chunk of change. My first full-time job only grossed me $80 a week. :)

If the new CAW was completely new, I'd have been all over it for $50 without giving it a second thought. I'll pick it up eventually - hopefully when it's on sale.

And there's no way in hell I'd pay $10+ a head to see some crappy movie amidst a cell phone carrying audience. Last movie I saw in the theater was Saving Private Ryan. Which I enjoyed just as much the second time I saw it in my home theater.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 1/29/2008 9:58:45 PM >

(in reply to martxyz)
Post #: 18
RE: CAW Sale? - 1/31/2008 10:43:48 PM   
ypsylon

Me personally I would love to see sligtly lower prices for every Matrix game. Now its not bad with low exchange of USD vs Euro and other currencies but it was horrid just 6 months ago or so. I dont understand how it is possible for me to buy for example WITP/WPO/WaW for equivalent of 8$ (boxed, english ver only, not in discount bin) here where I live (Poland) instead of wasting 4x-5x-6x [!!!] time more via internet store. (BTW all 3 mentioned are now in discount bin for just ~4$) From my perspective forking 40 Euros for CAW2007 with face-lift and nothing more is just crazy. I earlier spend hunderds of $$$ + duty to bring original CAW1 & CAW2 + all extras. And now Im simply ripped off in the day light with CAW2007 which beside improved interface offer nothing more than original CAW1. Its just ridiculous. (Unfortunately nobody planned/ing relase of CAW2007 in PL ). For that kind of money I expected at least all scenarios from both orignal CAWs + some extra to justify price tag. :(

Dont get me wrong. Original CAW for me is still best game I ever played. I fallen in love sice I read review in 1994. I still own original boxes/floppies/manuals, the lot. I changed computers many times, but there is always place for orignal CAW series.

It is even worst with games like Guns of August. 30 Euros for something what is virtually unplayable in the long run. Its about to stop just copying "paper games" to the computer platform. Of course it is the easiest way, but easiest not always mean: best... or even average.

Of course I realise and understand that Matrix is not EA or something like that. And obviously prices are usually higher. But one thing straight. It isnt normal when you charging the same ammount of money for programs relased 2-3-4-more years ago.

CAW for me always will be the best. Nothing changed for 14 years and it will stay that way. Please stop using that weapon against me

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> CAW Sale? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI