Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about research

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Question about research Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about research - 12/30/2007 3:48:45 PM   
Pubcrawler

good morning all! just got back into FoF after a long break and have a quick question. I prefer to play the strategic portion of the game, no tactical battles for me; it's all instant resolution, and want to know what research to focus on. For example, some research upgrades specifically reference detailed combat - do these upgrades also help with instant battle resolution? Is there a list of which research class help strategically as opposed to tactically? I don't want to waste resources and time researching upgrades that won't help during a 'strategic only' FoF game.

Thanks!

"Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. And now, sir, we stand by each other always."
- W.T. Sherman
Post #: 1
RE: Question about research - 12/30/2007 4:50:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

The manual appendix has, IIRC, a list of the various upgrades and how they affect instant/quick combat. The vast majority do have an effect though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Pubcrawler)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about research - 1/1/2008 10:40:14 PM   
GShock

Talking of research, a quick question comes to me: What is the difference between university and school? The explanation by the bottom line of the build page is misleading.

I *suppose* the univ gives +1 to all the country (cumulating with schools) while schools give +1 only to the town where the school is?

Pub: The quick combat is so nice and it is highly strategic. If you right click on each trooper you can see the improvements/attributes/weapon he has and you can place him in the zones *and* against the right "opponent" for the first turn.

I wanted to point out in QC that after the initial moment where you can call for reinforcements, this option appears no more. This means if you have more than 1 group available to reinforce you, in QC you may only call 1 group while in DC you can call all of them (1 per day).

Seems a good idea to make the "days" in QC as well... not only for what i just said but also because after you click that OK the only thing you can do right now is watch.

If you make the new day come with a "pause" you could make it that the player can reselect the available units (rallied and unrouted) and place them on the "battlefield" once again.

Ultimately, to distinguish reinforcements who didn't make it to join (yet) and routed units, i suggest to put the first ones facing the opponent while the latters facing the retreat side. :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about research - 1/2/2008 2:12:25 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Universitys give +1 research to each resarch building in the same town except schools.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about research - 1/2/2008 3:11:44 PM   
GShock

And what is the difference with the school then?

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about research - 1/2/2008 3:51:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

The school is a straight +1 to all areas, the University gives a +1 to all other research locations (except schools) in the same location. Therefore, it makes sense to build your new research locations in places that already have universities and extra space. If you only have room for one research building, a school is probably the best bang for the buck. If you have a lot of room, universities + other research can be more economical.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about research - 1/2/2008 3:53:24 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Schools generate +1 research in each field.
So lets say you have a small undeveloped town like Austin (lol) with just a school you generate 4 research points (+1 in each field) instead of a +3 in a single field.
However in a town with an university the normal research buildings generate +4 research points (3+1 from the university)while a school still produces its normal value.
Emued :(

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 1/2/2008 3:54:55 PM >

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about research - 1/3/2008 10:28:58 PM   
GShock

Now this makes sense. Perfect answers, both. Thx :)

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about research - 1/4/2008 6:50:14 PM   
Pubcrawler

Thanks GShock.  Maybe I'll try QC as opposed to IC.

"Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. And now, sir, we stand by each other always."
- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Question about research Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI