Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Camps' locations and telegraphs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> Camps' locations and telegraphs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/25/2007 12:59:17 PM   
olperfessor

Can camps be constructed in any province and contribute equally to a replacement pool, or (as I believe the appendix implies) do they only or primarily provide reinforcements for nearby units? In practical terms, can the union build camps far away from battlefields in minor cities (e.g. Lansing, Davenport or Augusta) without penalty, or must camps, like hospitals, be near the container units they serve?

Are telegraph facilities simple "force multipliers" leveraging local assets (like iron works for mines,and training camps for barracks), or do their locations (like hospitals) influence the distribution of reinforcements towards nearby units?

I've actually never built any telegraph facilities given other spending priorities.

Post #: 1
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/25/2007 4:51:46 PM   
Ironclad

Camps can be built at any of your provinces with a city, with reinforcements numbers calculated on the basis of population size. Each April camps have a possibility of reducing their province's population so the more camps located together the greater the potential for a larger population reduction in that province; a reason for trying to spread camps around even to lower populated provinces.

The reinforcements produced by camps are disbursed at the national (not local) level each turn to brigades in the containers that have the highest supply level chosen eg higher before normal, normal before low etc and the number received is related to the number of supply points. You can see the allocations in the Supply report (tab appears above control box when you move cursor near the top edge).

The sole function of a telegraph is to double the reinforcement arrival rate into a detailed battle in that province (it has nothing to do with the disbursements each turn from camps).

Edit: Actually all buildings will also improve Governor approval very slightly.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 12/25/2007 6:19:23 PM >

(in reply to olperfessor)
Post #: 2
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/25/2007 8:23:44 PM   
Anthropoid

I get the impression that some buildings improve Gov approval more than others though?

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 3
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/25/2007 9:08:24 PM   
Joram

I'm not aware of buildings improving governor ratings but I do know that governor's attitude will improve if you fulfill their request.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 4
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/26/2007 12:04:01 AM   
Ironclad

By approval I meant a Governor's attitude. According to the manual this increases by +3 per building built in the state and reduces for a refusal of military presence by -2 (request), -4 (insists), -6 (demands). This can also result in negative actions just as acceptance might lead to a positive one.

It seems to state that refusal of a building improvement request results in lowered attitude too but doesn't mention by how much. On reflection I think this section means that there is no lowering in attitude for a building refusal and instead the sanction is the increasing possibility of a negative political action in line with the intensity of the request. This would make sense since a request for a military presence in a frontier state would seem to be more important than any possible building improvement and there are far more building requests than military presence ones to respond to. (see manual page 167).

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 12/26/2007 1:08:51 AM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/27/2007 7:40:19 PM   
olperfessor

Thanks for the useful answers!

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 6
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 3:58:42 PM   
Pubcrawler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

The sole function of a telegraph is to double the reinforcement arrival rate into a detailed battle in that province (it has nothing to do with the disbursements each turn from camps).

So, in a strategic game (instant combat resolution only) there is no need to build telegraph lines? Or, will these lines still allow reinforcements to arrive to a province quicker during instant combat resolution if the AI decides it needs reinforcements?

"Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. And now, sir, we stand by each other always."
- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 7
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 6:08:59 PM   
Ironclad

I thought there was only an impact in detailed battle since in Quick battle (which is the same mechanism for Instant) reinforcements all arrive at the start. However there is some advantage, here is Eric's answer to the same question posed in a much earlier post (obtained via search):

"They provide a small abstract bonus to all morale checks. In general, everything in the game that helps you in detailed combat gives some sort of bonus in quick battle; generally it's in the form of a small behind the scenes chance of getting +1 on your roll. Telegraphs, I believe, have a 10% to give +1 to every morale check."

Oops I edited my previous answer which Eric has now responded to - now I am confused.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 12/30/2007 6:29:29 PM >

(in reply to Pubcrawler)
Post #: 8
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 6:14:16 PM   
ericbabe

No, Telegraphs don't really have an affect on quick combat.  Maybe they could help reinforcements start in the battle rather than in the rout zone.  I'll add this to the to do list for consideration.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 9
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 6:30:03 PM   
Ironclad

Eric: Next time I had better await your reply or check search first. See above edit.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 6:35:27 PM   
Pubcrawler

Thanks for the quick response

"Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. And now, sir, we stand by each other always."
- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 11
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 7:04:21 PM   
ericbabe

I checked again and it's the telegraph related upgrade that gives a 10% bonus to quick combat morale checks, not the actual Telegraph buildings.  But they should have an affect, and we'll hopefully be able to get around to this in a future patch.

(in reply to Pubcrawler)
Post #: 12
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 12/30/2007 7:55:03 PM   
Ironclad

Thanks. That explains it - I only searched on telegraph.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 13
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/1/2008 10:32:57 PM   
GShock

Many things do not affect Quick combat or seem not to...not just the telegraphs. I'm talking about the technological improvements. Essentially whatever is not "ported" from Detailed combat into quick combat is automatically excluded. :(

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 14
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/1/2008 11:38:41 PM   
ericbabe

The technological improvements do affect quick combat.  I'm not sure whether one can distinguish the effects of an upgrade clearly enough such that they would "seem" to have an affect or not, but the Upgrades section of the Technical Appendix gives the QC affect of each upgrade.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 15
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/2/2008 3:11:07 PM   
GShock

There's an upgrade whose name i can't recall, about the extra caisson coming in detailed battle. It's not the only one of course, but really...since i'm by now only playing quick combat, i'd love to see every upgrade give 2 effects, one strategic (applicable to quick/instant combat) and a tactical one (applying to detailed battle).

For example, since we can only put in charge-attack-defend the troops but not select their formation, the skirmisher upgrade has any effect in quick combat?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 16
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/2/2008 3:47:52 PM   
Ironclad

Many upgrades do have an impact on quick/instant battle through a percentage possibility of gaining an extra combat bonus. This is shown in the list of upgrades in the appendix. Skirmisher Training 1 and 2 each have a 25% chance of adding +1 to the counter-salvo but Logistical Reserve (extra caissons) doesn't have any effect.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 17
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/2/2008 3:52:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

GShock,

You should review the appendix, it will tell you what effect each upgrade has on quick combat.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 18
RE: Camps' locations and telegraphs - 1/3/2008 10:27:25 PM   
GShock

I am almost totally sure that building plantations helps with the gov's attitude.

If i'm not mistaken, on request the attitude drops slightly, on insist drops more and on demand drops even more?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> Camps' locations and telegraphs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI