Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USA Coming Fury

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> USA Coming Fury Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USA Coming Fury - 1/1/2008 7:22:13 PM   
meisterchow

I'm going to post an AAR as my newly started game progresses. No screen shots, alas, as having much more than notepad open along with FoF strains my poor system. ;)

I'm playing as the USA in the Coming Fury scenario at the First Sergeant difficulty level.

Difficulty settings are as follows:

Advanced Supply
Governors
Population Modifiers
Research Upgrades
Advanced Buildings
Impressment
European Diplomacy
Unit Attrition

All Unit Options except No Starting Legendary Units
All General Options except Fewer Generals

Combat Options
Always Detail Option
Victory Locations
Out of Command
Attacker Time Limit

Late July, 1861

Large numbers of Volunteer and Militia brigades requested. Vast majority of Governors support the move. New divisions organized in Indiana and Ohio.

Lyon ordered to Westport, Missouri to safeguard Kansas and the bulk of Missouri against the Missouri State Guard. It is hoped that additional units can be raised to reinforce his command, as scout report that the Missouri State Guard numbers over 10,000 - twich Lyon's command.

Fremont continues to gather strength in St. Louis while Pope is ordered to Cairo.

Garibaldi put in command of the Washington Garrison. Got to keep him out of the way for the time being. Keim given command of Ft. Washington, while C.F. Smith given Ft. Pendleton. None of these men should be trusted with a field command unless the situation is dire.

Raftloads of Generals shipped West. Halleck is to be promoted to Major General and given command of the Indiana Volunteers. Hancock and Meade are assigned as Brigadiers.

McDowell ordered back to Washington. His command is not considered ready to tangle with Rebs on their turf.

No aggressive maneuvers are ordered at this time.

Production orders:
Annapolis, MD, Hospital, Regular Infantry
Indianapolis, IN, Division
Augusta, ME, Academy
Brooklyn, NY, RR Station
Buffalo, NY, Armory
Albany, NY, Mine
Columbus, OH, Division

Battle in Fredericksburg

Before he can get his command moving, McDowell is caught in an engagement, but has the advantage of superior numbers. The Department of Pennsylvania is summoned for reinforcements, and respond with alacrity. Unfortunately, the superior morale of southern troops begins to tell. Ultimately, McDowell calls for a retreat - his troops are just too green to stand up for long against the determined Southern troops. McDowell is commended for extracting his troops from a potentially disastrous situation. As it was, losses were about even for both sides at around 3,000 each.

Noted for distinction are the 13th, 12th, 3rd and Berdan's Sharpshooter brigades. All performed well. General Runyon also made a good showing for himself, and has been marked by the War Office for great things in the future.

Halleck and W.T. Sherman are both promoted to 2 Stars, improving the attitudes of the governors of New York and Ohio. Sherman promptly suffers from stress - was it the battle or the promotion?

Muster/Conscription Results:

Conscription in Annapolis is successful, though the governor is PO'd.
Augusta, ME raises volunteers.
Buffalo, NY raises volunteers.
Conscription in Central Miss River costs Yates some support, but produces Yates' Sharpshooters.
Chicago, IL musters the Scotch Regiment
Ohio River raises volunteers.
Columbus, OH raises volunteers.
Detroit Rivers musters the Michigan Stonewall Regiment
Conscription in Harrisburg costs the support from the governor but is succesful.
Connecticut raises volunteers.
Lansing, MI raised volunteers.
Conscription in Vermont is successful, but angers the governor.
Hudon River, NY raises two units of volunteers
Delaware River musters the Pennsylvania Bucktails and an additional unit of volunteers.
Pittsburgh, PA raises volunteers.
Rhode Island raises volunteers.
Rochester, NY raises volunteers.
Springfield, IL raises volunteers.
Upper Miss River raises volunteers, but the governor is upset.
Topeka, KS raises volunteers, but the governor is upset.
Potomac River raises volunteers.

As expected, it is noted that General Runyon has Excellent Command abilities. Of interest is that General Tyler is able to motivate troops to perform great acts of Heroism, as can General McDowell. General Keyes has good command of Cavalry - he'll need to pulled out of regular field command for use as a Cavalry commander.

VP/NW levels at end of turn:
USA -3/0
CSA 3/0

Now that the majority of Union forces has been pulled back into friendly territory, the primary emphasis will be dealing with any incursions while the troops are organized and armed. It's going to take training and numbers to deal with superior Southern morale. While I know from play on the other side that the South is very susceptible to meat-grinder attrition warfare, I need to have sufficient infrastructure in place if the North is not to be out-attritted. I'll need oodles of camps everywhere and more hospitals near anticipated areas of combat.

More to come!
Post #: 1
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/1/2008 8:24:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

An excellent start, Charlie. Looking forward to reading along with you as you continue!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 2
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/1/2008 10:27:22 PM   
Pubcrawler

I've just started a new game as Union and will follow along Looking forward to your next instalment!

"Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. And now, sir, we stand by each other always."
- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/2/2008 6:19:29 PM   
meisterchow

Thanks for the kind words. :)

(in reply to Pubcrawler)
Post #: 4
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/2/2008 6:20:43 PM   
meisterchow

Early August, 1861

As an aside, I just want to note that I'm naming all non-legendary brigades for the state of their origin.  In the case of starting

units, for the state where they begin the game.  The exception would be the units of McDowell's Army, which begin in Virginia.  I left

their names alone.

First things first, I give new flags to those units which recently distinguished themselves in battle.

With the horde of new brigades that have been raised, it is readily apparent that the Army lacks sufficient organization.  A new

corps is organized in Pennsylvania, and more will be needed.  I will also need more Academies to support more high ranking

generals.

Production
Dover: Armory
Harrisburg, PA: Training Grounds, Corps, Cavalry
Brooklyn, NY: Frigate
Pittsburgh: Horse Farm

Butler successfully gets his command back to Washington and out of Virginia without incident.

McCook, Andrews, and Keyes are all promoted to 2 stars, improving the attitudes of the governors of Ohio, Minnesota and Maine,

respectively.

Losses to disease around Annapolis were high, in spite of the hospital development.  The armies need to be dispersed.

VP/NW levels at end of turn"
USA -3/0
CSA 3/0

Post #: 5
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/2/2008 6:22:58 PM   
meisterchow

Late August, 1861

Lyon is ordered to Osage to dislodge the Missouri State Guard.  His division of Missouri loyalists and Kansas Jayhawks are still
pretty raw, but the reports of growing strength (now supposedly over 20,000) may contain a kernel of truth.  Better to drive them
out now before those reports become real.

Fremont marches his army from St. Louis to Jefferson City.

Pope is to take his division of Illinois volunteers down to Paducah and prepare for the siege of Ft. Henry.  Kentucky is still neutral
at this point, so I want to avoid any large scale invasions yet in hopes of the state swinging to remain in the Union.  Paducah is
Union territory, though, so I want to get rid of the southern fort.

McClellan takes his Department of the Ohio into Grafton, while he instructs McCook to take his new 13th division into Kenawha to
secure his flank.

Patterson is to return to Cumberland with his Department of Pennsylvania, while McDowell leaves Annapolis for the Washington
Defenses.  Butler heads for Annapolis to flesh out his command with the rest of the newly-raised brigades from the Northeast.

Production:

Rochester: Camp
Columbus: Division
Buffalo: RR Station
Madison, WI: Horse Farm
Chicago: Armory
Davenport: Horse Farm
Brooklyn: Frigate
Jefferson City: Camp, Fort I

Battle in Osage

Lyon's troops find the State Guard, and also find that they're outnumbered 13,800 to 8,000.  Lyon has a fight on his hands!  
While initially, things go well, quickly forcing a local garrison unit to surrender, when contact is made with the main force, the
situation quickly sours and Lyon is forced to retreat.  Overall, the battle is a loss, losing 1,480 Union troops for 658 Confederate.  

Governor Buckingham of Connectict requests that some of his cronies be given nice safe staff positions with the Indiana
Volunteers.  Since the Division is currently in Ohio waiting for Kentucky to swing one way or the other, this is a harmless request
and is granted.

Willcox is promoted to 2 stars, making the governor of Michigan happy.

McCook's 13th Division successfully occupies Kenawha.

VP/NW at the end of the turn
USA -3/0
CSA 3/0

Post #: 6
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/2/2008 6:24:30 PM   
meisterchow

Early September, 1861

Obviously, Lyon's command is insufficient to the task of dealing with the Missouri State Guard.  Fremont orders him to withdraw
towards Rolla, while he marches his Western Department to Westport.  Later in the month, he plans on taking the offensive.  The
new 15th Division is incorporated in his command, with R.S. Foster being promoted to 2 stars to command it.  A.V. Rice goes with
him as his brigadier.  Fremont retains direct command over the 5 Missouri brigades in his army.

Pope failed to get his command moving, and is again ordered to Paducah.

General G. Thomas is promoted to 2 Stars and ordered to Ohio to take command of the newly raised 16th Division.  J.B. Fry is sent
along as a brigadier.

While Butler marches his command to Cumberland, McClellan attempts a complicated pincer movent against Loring in Franklin,
VA.  He intends to attack from the front, while McCook attacks from the South and Patterson attacks from the North.  Lincoln is
unsure of the wisdom, but is anxious for some positive news after Lyon's failure in Missouri.

Lacking sufficent armament output to adequate equip the troops, many new arsenals are ordered under construction throughout
the North.

Production:

Springfield, IL: Arsenal
Des Moines: Arsenal
Harrisburg: Artillery
Cleveland: Academy
Columbus: Division
Pontiac: Camp
Concord, NH: Arsenal
Montpelier: Mine
Boston: RR Station
Providence, RI: Arsenal
Hartford, CT: Arsenal

Battle in Franklin

Needless to say, I'm shocked when McClellan's maneuver actually works.  The three divisions combine to bring 37,650 men
against Loring's 13,800.  The result is a success!  Loring is wounded and two of his brigades are forced to surrended.  The CSA
suffer 3,715 casualties while the USA suffers 2,138.  Ultimately, both Loring and F.S. Bartow are captured.

McClellan's Dept of the Ohio performs very well, while the other two divisions are adequate.  Ellsworth's Avengers, 3rd West
Virginia, 4th West Virginia, Eagle Regiment, and 2nd Pennsylvania all distinguished themselves in the fighting and earned their
battle flag.  Both Generals Rosecrans and McCook showed that their recent promotions to Major General were well deserved.  

General Kiernan reveals gift for Command and Tactics (both Excellent)

VP/NW at the end of the turn:
USA 1/0
CSA -1/0

Post #: 7
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/3/2008 12:04:47 AM   
meisterchow

Late September, 1861

The divisional staff for the 15th took too long getting to Jefferson City, and Fremont is still getting his command organized. The
War Department is officially renaming all Army and independent Corps commands after rivers, so Fremont's army is now the
Army of the Missouri. McDowell's will become the Army of the Potomac.

Fremont is ordered to the Osage to engage the Missouri State Guard, while Lyon is to advance to the Black River in support.

Pope is ordered to the Lower Tennessee River to besiege Fort Henry.

Andrews is ordered to move his 14th Division to Kaskaskia in support of Pope.

McCook is to return to Kenawha while the province continues to settle in to being restored to the Union, while Patterson is
ordered to Shenandoah. If the Rebs are going to let me just take over Western Virginia, I'll oblige.

Garibaldi is demoted to 2 Star rank. Assuming he takes it gracefully, he'll be rewarded with command of the 17th Division in
Ohio.

Production:

Burlington, VT: RR Station
Brooklyn, NY: Ironclad
St. Louis, MO: Barracks
Dover, DE: Division, Cavalry
Trenton, NJ: Siege Artillery
Columbus, OH: Hospital
Lansing, MI: Mint
St. Paul, MN: Mine

Ft. Pickens in Pensacola is finally overwhelmed by CSA troops. Unfortunately, there simply wasn't much that could be done in
direct support of the fort.

Battle in Westport

Fremont is trumped when the Missouri State Guard goes on the offensive, meeting him in Westport. However, his command now
numbers 22,976 men versus the 13,302 men the Rebs have available. Lyon's 7,286 men are summoned to support Fremont.
Fremont is able to keep his raw command together, and achieves a victory over the Missouri State Guard. He loses 2,259
casualties versus 3,003 casualties. The 3rd Iowa managed to distinguish itself during the battle.

Lyon failed to reach the battlefield in time, and ultimately stayed in Black River.

More than sheer numbers, the victory provided by Fremont seems to have provided the necessary catalyst for Kentucky, which
enters the war on the side of the Union!

Governor Buckingham again asks for preferential treatment in regards to staff appointments to the new 17th Division. His
request is granted.

Reynolds is promoted to Major General, improving the attitude of the governor of Pennsylvania.

USA 3/0
CSA -3/0

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/3/2008 12:05:34 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/3/2008 12:07:11 AM   
meisterchow

Early October, 1861

With Kentucky now in the war, the various divisions that have been organizing in Indiana and Ohia are free to cross the river to
secure the state.  Halleck, Garibaldi, and Thomas are ordered across immediately.

Fremont finishes rearming his troops, then proceeds to pursue the Missouri State Guard.  Pearce has appeared in Cape Girardeau,
so Andrews moves to the Central Mississippi River to support Lyon.  He'll also be in a position to come to Pope's aid should
Jackson's army move against him.  This formation has arrived in Paducah.

Production:

Louisville, KY: Camp
Frankfort, KY: Hospital
Lexington, KY: Hospital, Infantry
Cincinnatti, OH: Camp
St. Louis, MO: Hospital
Cairo, IL: Hospital
Chicago: IL: Arsenal
Concord, NH: Horse Farm
Topeka, KS: Hospital

Battle in Black River

Lyon finds himself in serious trouble as Pearce and the Missouri State Guard link up and attack him.  He's outnumbered 7,486 to
18,080.  He'll have to retreat as it is doubtful that Fremont can get to him in time.  However, his messenger rapidly returns to
inform him that Fremont is on the way!  Lyon positions his command on Duckwiller Hill to await Fremont's reinforcements.

In the end, however, it's not enough.  It does cost the Rebels a bit, though, as Fremont and Lyon only lose 1,909 casualties versus
3,212 casualties.  In the course of the battle, a number of Brigades distinguished themselves; namely: the 9th Illinois, Yates'
Sharpshooters, 3rd Iowa, 7th Missouri, and 8th Missouri.  For a second recognition, the 3rd Iowa will receive a brigade
attachment.

Battle in Lexington

Garibaldi finds himself engaged with CSA forces as they attempt to quickly overcome the state after its decision to side with the
Union.  His division of 9,624 men face off against 7,275 rebels.  Garibaldi orders his command to the town of Dublin, where the
boys in blue quickly take advantage of the cover provided by the town.  In short order, the CSA Army of the Northwest attacks,
and begins taking heavy casualties.  

Ultimately, through careful use of the cover provided by the town, Garibaldi is able to drive off the Rebels, causing 2,008
casualties while only suffering 533.  All four brigades of his division distinguish themselves in the fighting; namely, the 4th Ohio,
5th Ohio, 9th Ohio and Michigan Stonewall Regiment.

Battle in Lower Tennesee River

Jackson attacks Pope siege lines around Fort Henry.  Jackson outnumbers him, bringing 15,195 troops against Pope's 12, 282.  
Pope calls for Anderson to bring his division, and his 12,000 men to the fight, hoping to overwhelm and drive off Jackson.
Again morale plays an issue as the green Union troops are barely controllable and can't stand up to a fight.  Jackson is wounded
before the situation degenerates into a rout, but that is small consolation.  Union losses are 803 to 412 for the Rebels.  In the
middle of the mess, the 7th Indiana distinguishes itself.

Duryee's promotion to Major General meets the approval of the governor of New York.

USA -1/0
CSA 1/0

Post #: 9
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/3/2008 6:28:52 AM   
meisterchow

Late October, 1861

Fremont absorbs Lyon's command into his army and redesignates it the 12th division. He then marches to Rolla to screen
Jefferson City.

Anderson is ordered to Kaskaskia to block a potential invasion of Illinois, while Thomas moves into Bowling Green, intending to
drive off the Southern division currently in the area.

McClellan organizes the Army of the Ohio, a Corps-sized formation, and then advances into Shenandoah. He orders McCook into
Abdingon. To further distract the CSA from its major effort in Missouri and Kentucky, McDowell marches out of Washington and
into Fredericksburg.

Production:
Madison, WI: Mint
Lansing, MI: Arsenal
Buffalo, NY: Arsenal
Brooklyn, NY: Fleet
Philadelphia, PA: Manufacturing Center

Battle in Bowling Green

Anderson is successful in finding the enemy. His 12,070 men attack the 5,663 of the Rebs. He catches the off guard and pulls of
a Suprise Attack. Garibaldi marches to the sound of the guns and joins the fight, as well. Together, Anderson and Garibaldi make
the most of a mess as they managed to keep enough of their brigades in the fight and secure a victory. Union losses were 1,698
versus Confederate losses of 5,253. Some of the Union formations are starting to show some battle-worthiness as the 1st
Michigan, Michigan Stonewall Regiment, 11th Ohio, 8th Ohio, Blind Half Hundred, Black Swamp Boys, and 5th Ohio proved their
worth.

Battle in Appalachia

Halleck's division of 12,427 men is attacked by Anderson's divisoin of 17,527 men. Union General Anderson, fresh from the
victory in Bowling Green rushes to the battle. On the second day, McCook's 13th Division also joins the fight. The rebels had
pretty much set up a line across a stream from the Union defensive line just out of effective range and were content to sit there.
McCook, however, thought he could roll up the flank and provide a decisive victory. Instead, he turned what would have been a
draw at worst into a Union rout. Northern forces lost 4,045 men and Southern forces lost 2,674 men.
[that's what we call a learning experience]

Governor Andrew of Massachusetts has some cronies to stick in a divisional staff. I'd rather maintain the goodwill of the
governors at this early stage, so I grant his request.

General Schoepf's promotion improves the attitude of the Governor of Kentucky.

Chicago, IL raises volunteers.
St. Paul, MN raises volunteers, though the governor is not happy.

USA -3/0
CSA 3/0

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/3/2008 6:31:04 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/8/2008 4:02:43 AM   
meisterchow

Early November, 1861

All available cash and guns went to rearming the Divisions engaged previously. At least one of the divisions was armed with nothing but improvised weapons, and that certainly played a factor in the defeat in Appalachia.

Union divisions disperse to secure Kentucky, while Anderson and Pope take their divisions to relieve the siege of Cairo. Fremont moves to support and clear the area near St. Louis.

Battle in Lower Tenn. River

8827 U vs 14680 C

Pope's Illinois Volunteers face off against veteran Rebels. Fortunately, Garibaldi's 17th Division is close enough to help, but they aren't able to carry the battle themselves. Pope's rookies give a good account of themselves, though, and Union forces lose 2,244 while the defenders lose 2,595 men.

Battle in Central Miss. River

Andrews' division, still pretty rough, finds itself engaged with the half the Southern army in the West as 16,889 rebels attack his 11,643 man division. C.C. Andrews, D.C. Buell and J. Newton all demonstrage incredible leadership and great personal courage, but it is ultimately not enough against the superior numbers of the enemy. Eventually, after a hard day's fighting around the town of Gibson, Andrews' division routs. Union losses 2,551. Confederate losses 1,690. The 7th Ohio and 9th Indiana both distinguish themselves in the fighting.

Battle in West Ohio River

Condederate General Anderson attempts to rejoin the main Southern command around Paducah, but runs into Pope's and Garibaldi's divisions first. While Anderson only has 15, 336 under his command versus the 18,737 men in blue, the Union troops are still recovering from their earlier defeat. That weariness explains how Anderson is able to pull off a surprise attack. Pope, Grant, Garibaldi and Keim successfully rally their men and form a line of battle in the nick of time. And while they bled the Confederates heavily, causing 4,414 casualties while suffering 3,697, the Union forces rout off the field. The 3rd and 5th Illinois Brigades distinguish themselves in the fighting.

Battle in Kaskaskia

Andrews is forced to fight again near Cairo as Rebel units seem to pop out of thin air. His 9,452 men square off against 8,994 Confederates. Realizing that a number of his troops dropped their weapons in the last battle, Andrews knows that a victory will have to come fast if at all. He tries, but the men are just too exhausted. Andrews calls for retreat. The battle is costly as his command loses 2,692 men while only causing 1,261 casualties.

Gamble's promotion pleases the Governor of Illinois.

USA -5/0
CSA 5/0

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/8/2008 4:11:31 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/8/2008 4:12:31 AM   
meisterchow

Late November, 1861

I was not expecting major offensive operations by anyone in winter.  I was hoping to finish rearming and get some training in prior to the Spring campaign season, but it seems that it is not meant to be.  So what do I do?  I have significant Confederate forces in Southern Illinois and the Indiana/Kentucky border, and a Fair report of close to 90,000 Rebels in Richmond.

However, all is not lost.  I've got Fremont's Army of the Missouri unencumbered (29,000), as well as half a dozen division-strength formations in Kentucky (Garibaldi's 17th - 6,000; Pope's Illinois Volunteers - 9,000; Halleck's Indiana Volunteers - 11,000; Thomas' 16th Division 10,000; and McCook's 13th Division with 10,000) .  Many of them have had a rough time of it and aren't really in any shape to fight, however.  Then there's McClellan's 38,000 men in western Virginia and McDowell's 60.000 in eastern Virginia.  Banks' 14,000 men are securing Washington along with the 18,000 men sitting in fortresses around the capital.

After some contemplation, I decide to order Fremont to Springfield to link up with Andrews' 14th Division (6,000).  Thomas is ordered to New Albany, IN.  Halleck is ordered to Bowling Green, KY.  He and McCook, in Appalachia, are to keep Bragg in Tennessee.  Thomas is provide some sort of Union presence in Indiana against the invaders.  Pope and Garibaldi are to sit in Frankfort and rest their forces (hopefully).

In the East, McClellan is orderd to Lynchburg while McDowell is ordered to Petersburg.  Time to tempt fate and lure the dragon out of its lair.

Production:

St. Louis, MO - Division, Mansion, Camp
Harrisburg, PA - Training Ground
Rochester, NY - Mint
Concord, NH - Mint

We develop Light Recoil, which should help our troops fight better longer.

Battle in Abingon, VA

McClellan's 37,828 men meet Bragg's 14,892 men.  McClellan's troops are still pretty shaky, but they are able to fend off Bragg's attack, and captured one brigade and General McLaws!  The Confederates suffered an additional 4,076 men lost as casualties, while the Union lost 3,130.

USA -1/0
CSA 1/0

Post #: 12
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/9/2008 4:24:10 PM   
meisterchow

Early December, 1861

General Shoepf is given command the of the newly formed 20th Division under Fremont's Army of the Missouri.  This division incorporates most of the independent brigades in the army.

Massive rearmament is underway.  McClellan's command, in particular gets wagonload after wagonload of Enfields.

McDowell begins the siege of Petersburg.

Gatling Gun I technology becomes available.

Battle in Petersburg

The bait works as General Twiggs marches 59,973 Confederates out of Richmond to try and break McDowell's siege of Petersburg with his 60,392 men.  Of course, under the original plan, McClellan was supposed to be close enough to lend support, but he's stuck in Abingdon after his victory over Bragg.

In the biggest debacle of the war, McDowell is soon forced to retreat, leaving 8,421 casualties on the field, while the Confederates left 5,283.  Even so, the 7th Pennsylvania and 12th Infantry distinguish themselves.  Unfortunately, one Northern brigade surrendered (13th Infantry). At least two Rebel generals were wounded, but reports are hazy as to who those generals were.  General O.B. Wilcox was badly wounded, and his condition worsens.  During the battle, General Runyon displayed Great leadership.  In the wake of the mess caused by McDowell, he may be forced out of his command.  If so, General Runyon will be promoted to take over the Army.

In Kentucky, Grant is promoted to Major General, pleasing Governor Yates of Illinois.  Grant also takes command of his division from Pope.

USA -4/-2
CSA 3/1

Post #: 13
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/9/2008 4:25:47 PM   
meisterchow

Late December, 1861

Thomas, Grant and Garibald are all ordered to converge on Louisville in attempt to break the siege.

Target Practice I is acquired.

Battle in West Ohio River

Garibaldi's 17th Division is the first to arrive near Louisville.  His 6,646 men are going to be tackling 15,236 Rebels.  He's definitely banking on Thomas or Grant arriving in time.  The combined might of four Union divisions (Halleck's division rails in the morning of the 2nd day) breaks the rebels and lifts the siege.  A Christmas present to the President, Confederate forces lose 11,571 men while Union forces only lose 5,241.  The list of honors is long: 1st Michigan, Michigan Stonewall Regiment, 11th Ohio, Graybeards Regiment, Bland Half Hundred, 4th Ohio, Black Swamp Boys, 5th Ohio, 1st Indiana, 3rd Indiana, 4th Indiana, 4th Illinois, and 5th Illinois.  Generals Garibaldi and Keim both distinguished themselves, as well.  As a final bonus, two rebel brigades were captured.

VP/NW at the end of the turn (and the end of 1861)
USA 0/-3
CSA -1/1

Post #: 14
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/9/2008 5:10:07 PM   
meisterchow

Review of 1861; Plans for 1862

Overall, I'm pleased with the results for 1861.  Some noted losses, but some solid victories as well.  I'm discovering that the key to success for the Union is to pounce on smaller Reb formations with much larger numbers to blood your troops.  McDowell and McClellan both won victories early on in Virginia, but look at McDowell's recent failure when faced with even numbers.  The biggest problem I've had so far is equipping all the brigades I raised back in July.  Some still have Improvised weapons (though only a few of those are left).  Of course, it doesn't help when you rearm a green brigade and then they promptly drop those expensive new guns on the next battlefield they're on.

I'm quite pleased at the performances of Garibaldi and Keim.  Both had been relegated to fortress command, as that was my practice in my previous CSA game for dealing with inadequate commanders.  However, the North suffers from too many indians and not enough chiefs (the exact opposite problem of my last CSA game) so I had to send them out in the field.  Garibaldi's 17th Division, with Keim as his brigadier, is my elite formation in Kentucky.  And that's after I demoted Garibaldi, too!  It's not inconceivable that Garibaldi could earn his 3rd star back in the coming year.

Another issue I've struggled with is organization.  Not enough containers to hold all those troops.  I now have sufficient divisions - for the time being, so now my focus is on building Corps to improve overall management of the Army of the Missouri and the Army of the Potomac.  I also need another Academy or two so I can increase the number of 3 stars I can have for Corps command.

For the coming campaign season, my initial objectives are narrow in focus - drive the CSA out of Kentucky in the West and keep the main CSA army in Virgina *in Virginia*.  The bulk of the action is out West, so I don't any good opportunities to season my Eastern troops, so they'll need to sit tight and train.

McClellan is the question mark.  He's in a position to back any moves made in Viriginia, or I could send him into Kentucky to honcho those operations.  A third alternative would be to send him on a large scale raid into North Carolina.  I'm going to have to ponder that for a bit, I think.

Another question is Emancipation.  I now have that option, thanks to the victory at Louisville.  It would get USA National Will back into positive territory, but I don't know that I want to just hand more troops to the South.  On the other hand, why the heck not?

Here's hoping for a bright '62!

Post #: 15
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/9/2008 5:51:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

Excellent AAR Charlie, good luck in 1862!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charlie Lewis
I also need another Academy or two so I can increase the number of 3 stars I can have for Corps command.

Thought I should mention that this changed since the manual is written. The change is in the readme, but in short you'll get more 3 star slots by building more Corps containers. More academies will train up your existing containers faster each spring and also up the ratings on new containers (and eventually allow a 5 Star general, that they still do).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 16
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/9/2008 8:59:25 PM   
meisterchow

Thanks! I just discovered that the hard way after I built a new corps, and was able to promote Sherman to his third. (Beating Grant to it, btw. Guess there was an advantage to going on the DL list for a while)

EDIT: Quick follow up, is that maybe why Garibaldi nor his home state governor didn't react when I demoted him from 3 stars to 2? IIRC, at the time I had more 3 stars than I could use at the time.

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/9/2008 9:24:30 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 5:59:31 AM   
hgilmer

Good job so far!  Keep it up, people are reading it, I'm positive.

Post #: 18
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 6:36:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charlie Lewis
EDIT: Quick follow up, is that maybe why Garibaldi nor his home state governor didn't react when I demoted him from 3 stars to 2? IIRC, at the time I had more 3 stars than I could use at the time.

Nope, that wouldn't do it - but what state is he from? Some generals do not have a "home state" and thus give no benefit when promoted and no penalty when demoted. A few have a state on the other side, like George Thomas, which also means no benefit/penalty for your side.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 19
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 10:41:44 AM   
Gil R.

You got Garibaldi? You know, there's only a 1% chance of his showing up. I added him to this most recent patch after someone (can't remember who) made a request. He's a 1-percenter so that his presence won't bother the purists, while those who do want him can mod the file to make him show up more.

Post #: 20
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 4:34:54 PM   
meisterchow

Yeah.  The funny thing is I'm playing with random stats, and his are miserable.  After I demoted him to 2 stars and sent him to Kentucky to command a division, he's been thriving.  His division is the best I've got in Kentucky!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 4:35:55 PM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer

Good job so far!  Keep it up, people are reading it, I'm positive.

Thanks! I've got several turns for 1862 yet to post (maybe tonight). '62 is off to a rocky start...

(in reply to hgilmer)
Post #: 22
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/10/2008 5:09:28 PM   
meisterchow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Nope, that wouldn't do it - but what state is he from? Some generals do not have a "home state" and thus give no benefit when promoted and no penalty when demoted. A few have a state on the other side, like George Thomas, which also means no benefit/penalty for your side.

I'll have to check, but that must be it. I was just grateful he didn't quit. At the time I was desperate for commanders of any sort. I've got a lot more choices now, but he's been doing so well as a division commander that I feel obligated to keep him in place.

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/10/2008 5:36:37 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/11/2008 6:10:41 AM   
Gil R.

I just checked -- not that I needed to, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make sure -- and see that Garibaldi indeed has no home state, therefore no governor cares what you do to him.

Post #: 24
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/11/2008 4:57:40 PM   
meisterchow

Now that's funny.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I didn't have time to play last night, so I wasn't able to confirm on my own.

Of course, that means he'll probably never see his 3rd star again, since re-promoting him won't shore up support amony any of my governors.

< Message edited by Charlie Lewis -- 1/11/2008 4:58:18 PM >

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 25
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/12/2008 4:10:10 AM   
meisterchow

Early January, 1862

The Army of the Potomac is ordered to build a Fort in Fredericksburg.  I intend for them to stay in Virginia.  For now, McDowell will retain his command.

Production:

Louisville, KY: Capital
St. Louis, MO: Corps, Gunboat

Sherman is finally fit for duty.

USA 1/-3
CSA -2/1

Post #: 26
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/12/2008 4:10:40 AM   
meisterchow

Late January, 1862

Sherman gets sent out West to Fremont's command.  Most formations are stuck due to weather, but Thomas is ordered to Wabash, Garibaldi is ordered to Bowling Green, and Fremont brings his army across the Mississippi to Springfield, IL and the long-delayed link-up with Andrews.

Production:

St. Louis, MO: Academy
Jefferson City, MO: Laboratory
Brooklyn, NY: 2 Frigates

Another blockade fleet is being built at Brooklyn.  Currently, New Orleans, Wilmington, and Norfolk have been closed.

Naval Repairs is acquired.

USA 1/-3
CSA -2/1

Post #: 27
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/12/2008 4:11:37 AM   
meisterchow

Early February, 1862

The newly organized 2nd Corps is integrated into Fremont's Army of the Missouri command structure.  Sherman is promoted to 3 stars to command the Corps.  Andrews' 14th Division, Foster's 15th Division and Schoepf's 20th Division are incorporated into his corps, while Lyon's 12th Division remains under Fremont's direct command.

Thomas' 16th Division is orderd to Vandalia to help contain Jackson's command, which has been recuperating in Kaskaskia.  Fremont is anxious to drive Jackson out of Illinois, but ultimately decides to hold off a little longer to give his new command structure a chance to settle in.

Banks' Department of Virginia is ordered to Abingdon so that McClellan is free to move to Kentucky.  McCook takes his 13th Division to Bowling Green to hook up with Garibaldi.

Production:

Davenport, IA: Academy (Governor Stone's request)
Albany, NY: Artillery
Trenton, NJ: Mint
Jefferson City, MO: RR Station

Battle in Fredericksburg

Twiggs goes on the offensive, hitting McDowell in Winter Quarters.  The advantage of defense is with McDowell, so hopefully his 54,981 men will be able to fend off Twigg's 65,627 men.   McDowell quickly calls for Butler to reinforce him with his Department of Annapolis (14,000 men).

While the fighting is fierce, and lasts for more than a day, in the end, the Union troops can't fend off the Rebels.  Another costly disaster for McDowell, as he losees 21,200 men while causing only 12,165 casualties.

In spite of the mess, or perhaps because of it, the 1st and 3rd Divisions perform admirably.  Additionaly, the 1st Maryland, Berdan's Sharpshooters, and the N.Y. Highlanders distinguish themselves at a unit level.  Unfortunately, the Pennsylvania Bucktails were forced to surrender, when they were cut off and surrounded prior to the rout.  Alas, but General Gamble was lost with the Bucktails.

Sherman's and Sigel's promotion help bolster the morale of the governors of Ohio and Missouri.

General Willcox is finally healing.

USA -4/-5
CSA 3/2

Post #: 28
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/12/2008 4:13:04 AM   
meisterchow

Late February, 1862

After two huge losses in a row, I have no choice but to demote McDowell.  He's clearly unsuited for army command.  If he'll accept it gracefully, I'll find him a division, and give him the opportunity to earn a Corps command, but if not, so be it.  I suppose I'll have to promote Banks to take his place.

Grant and McCook are ordered to Lower Tenn. River, KY, to threaten Jackson's lines of communications.

Production:

Lansing, MI: Mint

Battle in Bowling Green

Left by himself, Garibaldi is surprised when two CSA formations come a'callin'.  His 5,641 men are vastly outnumbered by the Confederates' 23,085.  But McClellan's 40,000 are nearby in Appalachia.  Can they arrive in time?  Garibaldi's command gets split up by a Reb feint, so he digs in with two brigades on Steptoe Hill, and wait for McClellan.  Mac doesn't disappoint, and troops from the Army of the Ohio's 18th Division arrive quickly, with the rest of his command right behind.

Unfortunately, again the Union troops can't stand against their foes.  Mac is routed, losing 7,866 casualties and causing 6,402.  The Eagle Regiment and the 2nd Pennsylvania are both forced to surrender.  The 7th New York and 8th New York distinguishing themselves and earning their battle flag.  

Governor Tod of Ohio is not at all happy about McDowell's demotion, but the General takes it in good stride.  He knew it was coming.

USA -6/-5
CSA 5/2

Post #: 29
RE: USA Coming Fury - 1/14/2008 5:29:42 AM   
meisterchow

Early March, 1862

OK, no more offensives in the East.  In fact, for the time being, I'm scaling back my expections for the year.  If I can get Jackson out of Illinois, I'll be happy.  If I can clear out Paducah, I'll be ecstatic.  Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Thomas' 16th Division and Fremont's Army of the Missouri are ordered to Kaskaskia to end the Confederate invasion of Illinois.

Production:

Cincinnati, OH: Arsenal
Cleveland, OH: RR Station
Harrisburg, PA: Corps

Hordes of Volunteers and Conscript units are ordered up.  Of course, arming those new troops will be a challenge...

Hasty Entrenchment I is added to our bag of tricks.

Battle in Kaskaskia

Fremont's plan works as he and Thomas link up.  Together, their combined force of 54,236 men hope to inflict maximum damage on the 15,751 Confederates they find.  Auxiliary units are successful in raiding Rebel supplies.  The defenders are scattered and disorganized, and are quickly overwhelmed by Fremont's vastly superior numbers.  Still, the Rebels put up a fight, and Fremont's army loses 1,775 casualties while causing 6,131 casualties.  Three brigades and Generals Martin, Bowen and Mackall are captured.

Conscription:
Albany, NY
Augusta, ME - Blanket Brigade
Massachusets - 2 brigades
Ill. Miss. River - 1 brigades, but riots break out
Delaware
Potomac River

Volunteers:
Chicago - Leadmine Regiment and 1 brigade
Ohio River, OH
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
New Hampshire: N.H. Mountaineers
Des Moines, IA
Connecticut
Indianapolis, IN - First Irish Regiment
Lower Missouri River, MO
Lansing, MI
Madison, WI - Iron Brigade
Delaware River

General Patterson finally recovers from his wounds.

USA -2/-5
CSA 1/2

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> USA Coming Fury Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI